Bed bug bites and chigger bites are both very itchy skin irritations that can be very frustrating, but are they the same thing? How do you know if you have bed bugs, fleas or chiggers? First, we will talk about how bed bug bites differ from other skin irritations. If you have been searching for the answer to this question online, then you already know how difficult it is to find a reliable source of information.
Scientists have found that bed bug bites are similar to chigger bites in terms of appearance, but different in terms of cause and treatment. If you have both accidentally confused the two it is understandable. The reason for the confusion is because both types of bites resemble each other. However, you should know that these insects rarely bite humans and if they do, the bites are harmless.
Do bed bugs itch like chiggers?
Yes, they do. Both bed bugs and chiggers are tiny parasites that can cause red bumps, serious itching, and days of uncomfortable skin irritation. While their bites look different, the actual sensation is quite similar for both creatures.
Bed bugs bite at night when you’re sleeping. They feed on your blood and create itchy bumps or bites on your skin as they suck your blood. Bed bugs also leave behind a smelly brown liquid called “honey dew.” Chiggers also bite at night when you’re sleeping, but they don’t feed on your blood—they only suck your fluids to survive. Chigger bites are itchy and create small red bumps on the skin that eventually turn into large blisters filled with clear fluid (called “vesicles”).
How do you tell if you have chiggers in your bed?
One of the first signs of chigger bites is a rash. This rash can appear anywhere on your body, but it’s most common on the legs or arms. The rash may be red or purple in color, and it can itch terribly.
However, chigger bites can become infected from too much scratching. If this happens, the rash will turn into blisters filled with fluid. These blisters will burst and become raw sores that are extremely painful.
Can chiggers live in your bed?
Chiggers cannot live in your bed because these microscopic pests need a warm body to have their three-to-four-day meal so they can morph into a nymph and become adults.
Chiggers are the most annoying and painful creatures, especially if you have sensitive skin. The chiggers will bite your skin and suck your blood until they fully engorge their bodies with blood. They are so small that they can easily hide under your clothes and be undetected until they begin feeding on you.
They only live for three to four days, so they need to find a host quickly or they will die as well. Chiggers do not live in beds; instead, they live in fields and grasses near woods where people may walk through them during summer months when chiggers are at their peak population levels.
How do you tell if you have chiggers?
Chigger bites are itchy red bumps that can look like pimples, blisters, or small hives. They can occur anywhere on your body.
The best way to tell if you have chigger bites is to look for tiny red bumps on the skin that feel like a mosquito bite. The bumps will be itchy and you may notice some swelling around them. If you think you have chiggers, it’s important to seek medical attention right away because they can spread very quickly.
What kills chiggers on skin?
There are a few ways to get rid of chigger bites. You should wash the bitten area with hot, soapy water. This will get rid of any remaining chiggers and the itching will stop. You can also use an over-the-counter medication like hydrocortisone cream to sooth the itching. If your skin is inflamed or there are blisters, check with your doctor before using these remedies.
What is the fastest way to cure chigger bites?
If you’ve ever been bitten by chiggers, you know how painful and irritating it can be. Chigger bites are caused by tiny mites that burrow into the skin to lay eggs, and they result in an itchy red rash that can last for weeks.
The best way to treat chigger bites is to take a cold shower and wash your body thoroughly—this will alleviate the itching and remove any remaining chiggers from your skin.
How long will chiggers stay on you?
Chiggers can stay attached and feeding for several days. Usually they last about 4 days before falling off. Chiggers are usually active during the day, so you will know when they have bitten you. There is a red spot where they bit you that may itch or burn. The itching and burning can last up to 2 weeks after the bite. You should check your skin daily for chigger bites. If you find one, remove it with a cloth or tweezers as soon as possible.
List of Bed Bug Relief
Bed bugs are blood-sucking parasites that feed on human and animal hosts. They usually feed at night, but can bite at any time of day if they are hungry enough.
Below is a list of popular bed bug reliefs:
Bug Bite Thing Suction Tool, Poison Remover – Bug Bites and Bee/Wasp Stings, Natural Insect Bite Relief, Chemical Free – White/Single
Price : $9.99
- Removes insect venom, saliva, and other irritants left under the skin using suction
- By removing the irritant, the body stops producing the reaction that is causing you to itch & swell
- Works on: mosquitoes, bees, wasps, biting flies, no-see-ums, chiggers, sea lice & more
- Compact, lightweight, reusable and easy to carry
- Clinically Proven, kid friendly, 100% guarantee
Additional Info :
Benadryl Extra Strength Anti-Itch Gel, 2 Percentage Diphenhydramine HCI Topical Analgesic & Histamine Blocker for Relief of Outdoor Itches Associated with Poison Ivy, Insect Bites & More, 3.5 fl. oz
Price : $4.89 ($1.40 / Fl Oz)
- 3.5-ounce tube of Benadryl Extra-Strength Cooling Itch Stopping Anti-Itch Gel for fast cooling relief from skin pain and itching from most outdoor itches
- Provides relief from most outdoor itches associated with insect bites, sunburn, scrapes, minor skin irritations, burns, and minor cuts
- Soothing anti-itch gel also provides relief from itching associated with rashes caused by poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac
- Cooling gel formula contains 2% of the topical analgesic pain reliever diphenhydramine hydrochloride that works by blocking histamines to relieve itches associated with several ailments
- Intended for use by those ages 2 and up, soothing gel offers itch relief for kids and adults alike and is great to keep on hand during outdoor activities such as camping, hiking or taking a walk with the family
Additional Info :
Chiggerex 2X Power First Aid Medicated Ointment for Chiggers, Ticks and Bug Bite Relief with Aloe Vera & Chamomile, 6 oz
Price : $15.99 ($2.66 / Ounce)
- Helps relieve itching and pain from chiggers (redbugs), ticks, mosquitos, no-see-ums, biting flies, gnats, sand fleas and other bug bites
- Formulated with 10% benzocaine, a topical anesthetic used to help relieve pain and itch associated with bug bites and stings
- Chiggerex is infused with nourishing botanicals like aloe vera, chamomile and peppermint oil, that soothe and calm itchy insect bites
- Our unique medicated ointment goes on smooth and absorbs quickly into skin without leaving any visible residue
- Keep Chiggerex in your medicine cabinet, glove compartment, camping bags and backpacks for pain relief + itch relief from bug bites, bee stings, jellyfish stings and more.
Additional Info :
Sawyer Products SP657 Premium Permethrin Insect Repellent for Clothing, Gear & Tents, Trigger Spray, 24-Ounce
Price : $16.95
- Add a layer of protection to your clothing and gear with Permethrin insect and tick repellent spray — perfect for use on shirts, jackets, pants, socks, shoes, boots, sleeping bags, tents, netting, when outdoors, camping, hunting, or on travel
- Ideal for backpacking, backyard BBQs, and other outdoor activities, it’s effective against more than 55 kinds of insects — from disease-spreading ticks (Lyme disease) and mosquitoes (West Nile and Zika viruses) to chiggers, spiders, mites, and more
- Permethrin spray bonds to fabric fibers for up to 6 weeks or through 6 washings (whichever comes first) and won’t stain or damage clothing, fabrics, plastics, finished surfaces, or outdoor gear; odorless after drying
- Reduce likelihood of a tick bite by 73.6 times by treating shoes and socks with Permethrin (University of Rhode Island study – 2017)
- 24-ounce trigger spray bottle treats five complete outfits (updated EPA dosage is 4.5 ounces per outfit consisting of shirt, pants, and socks); maximize protection by pairing with Sawyer Picaridin topical repellent for the skin
Additional Info :
SALLYE ANDER No-Bite-Me Natural Bug & Insect Repellent & Anti Itch Cream – Safe for Kids and Infants – Repels Mosquitoes, Black Flies, Fleas, and Ticks – 2 oz
Price : $13.95 ($6.98 / Fl Oz)
- ALL IN ONE REPELLENT AND ANTI-ITCH: “No-Bite-Me” DOES IT ALL. Forgot to apply “No-Bite-Me” and got some bug bites? No problem: it’s an anti-itch cream too. Other creams make you choose between repelling bugs and treating uncomfortable bug bites, but “No-Bite-Me” prevents and repairs bug-bombed skin. Effective on black flies, mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks.
- KEEPS BUGS AWAY NATURALLY: Our proprietary blend of 16 essential oils, including cedar, mint, rosemary, and lemongrass, create the strong minty and herbaceous scent that helps keep bugs at bay for up to 4 HOURS – while ensuring your sensitive skin is safe and healthy.
- SAFE FOR CHILDREN: “No-Bite-Me” is a completely safe, natural bug repellent. It’s easy to apply – just dot on exposed skin and blend in. No mess. No fuss. Deet free to protect even the smallest adventurers.
- FULL SIZE FOR BEST VALUE: Our 8oz tin of “No-Bite-Me” cream is amazing for the seasoned traveler. Throw a tin in your backpack, or keep it handy when camping. One tin provides plenty of relief for you and the whole family.
- SALLYE ANDER PROMISE: When you buy Sallye Ander products, you can rest assured knowing you are supporting a company committed to quality and the environment. All products are 100% handmade in the USA from organic locally sourced ingredients, and we’re completely cruelty-free
Additional Info :
In conclusion, If you have a bed bug problem, it’s important to take care of it as quickly as possible. Bed bugs can be difficult to get rid of, but with Bed Bug Relief, you can do it.