Many people want to know what the best insecticide for red palm weevil is. The real question is, which one works? And that depends on your needs and what you’re trying to protect. Since the introduction of red palm weevil in Florida, termite companies started to use more and more red palm weevil insecticide treatments. Red palm weevil treatment are few. But once you have the ball rolling, termite companies like to use more and more invasive techniques compared to yellow, colony or masked ants control. Some other insects that can benefit from insecticide are carpenter bees, sucking bees (like alkali bees), and bumblebees.
The Red Palm Weevil is one of the most destructive pests of palm trees and is found throughout much of the world, particularly in areas with tropical climates. Infestations have been discovered in California and the areas around Las Vegas, Nevada. The insect attacks the palm tree trunk, destroying it from inside and spreading a fungus that makes the tree’s growth very weak. Severe infestations will kill a tree in 2 or 3 years, or even less if other factors are involved such as drought or calcium deficiency.
How do you get rid of red palm weevils?
The best way to get rid of Red Palm Weevil is to keep your trees healthy, so they don’t become infested in the first place. Good sanitation practices are needed to prevent Red Palm Weevil spreading from infested palms. Chipping, burning, and burying infested material deeply can reduce the likelihood that Red Palm Weevil will emerge and escape from infested palms. Mass trapping has been used to reduce Red Palm Weevil densities.
What are the damage symptoms of red palm weevil?
Red palm weevil is a destructive pest that has been known to damage many different types of palms. The damage symptoms caused by RPW include:
(1) Presence of tunnels on the trunk or base of fronds. This damage can be visible as pale, brownish or reddish streaks or patches along the trunk or base of fronds.
(2) Infested palms may emit “gnawing” sounds caused by larvae feeding inside. Other signs include wilting and discoloration of leaves, as well as an increase in the number of dead leaf tips on affected fronds.
(3) Oozing of viscous fluids from tunnels. This symptom is more common on older palms and can occur when larvae are nearing maturity, which is when they leave their tunnels and pupate in soil under their host plant.
What is the life cycle of a red palm weevil?
The Red Palm Weevil has a life cycle that consists of four stages: egg, larva, pupa and adult. The adult female lays eggs into the trunk of a palm tree. The eggs hatch after 2-5 days and the larvae bore into the trunk to feed on the palm tissue. The larvae make an oval-shaped cocoon out of palm fibres. This takes 1-3 weeks before they emerge as adults. The adults live for about 6 months before becoming adults.
What is the host range of red palm weevil?
The Red Palm Weevil can attack 24 species of palms in 14 genera, including most of the common landscape palms found in California. The Canary Island date palm, one of the most conspicuous and prominent palms in California, is especially susceptible to attack.
What kills palm weevil?
Palm weevils are a serious threat to palm trees around the world. Despite their small size, these insects can decimate a palm tree’s foliage and kill it within a matter of months. Currently, the only way to control palm weevils is with the application of insecticides. These treatments are expensive, and are applied several times a year. “A weevil infestation is a death sentence for the palm. These insects have 100% kill rate in three to six months, unless the tree is treated very aggressively.
List of Insecticides That kills Palm Weevil
Insecticides are a type of pesticide used to control insect populations. Insecticides can be found in a wide variety of forms, including liquids, powders, crystals, and granules. They can be applied to the soil or to plants with varying degrees of effectiveness. Insecticides are used in the home to protect crops and gardens from pests, as well as to safeguard against infestations in homes themselves.
Below is a list of insecticides:
HARRIS Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade, 4lb with Powder Duster Included in The Bag
Price : $12.96
- Natural Product – Composed of 4lbs of 100% ground freshwater diatomaceous earth with absolutely no additives or fillers.
- OMRI Listed – Listed with the Organic Minerals Research Institute, a non-profit organization that reviews products against organic standards.
- Powder Duster Included – Powder duster in the bag for easy and efficient application of diatomaceous earth on animal feed
- Supports a Great Cause – Harris donates 10% of profits to support the local Etowah Valley Humane Society.
- Made in the USA – Mined in Nevada and packaged in Georgia
Additional Info :
Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer for Indoor & Perimeter2: With Comfort Wand, Kills Ants, Cockroaches, Spiders, Fleas & Ticks, Odor Free, 1.1 gal.
Price : $14.49 ($0.10 / Fl Oz)
- Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer for Indoor & Perimeter2 with Comfort Wand kills ants, cockroaches, spiders, fleas, ticks and other listed bugs; the formula is odor free, won’t stain, and keeps listed bugs out
- KILLS BUGS INSIDE: Kills those annoying home-invading insects, including ants, cockroaches, spiders, fleas, ticks, scorpions, beetles, silverfish, centipedes and millipedes
- KEEPS BUGS OUTSIDE: Creates a bug barrier that will kill bugs you have and prevents new bugs for up to 12 months (applies to ants, roaches and spiders indoors on non-porous surfaces)
- NO STAINING OR STINK: This spray can be used indoors and out, leaves no residue, and has no odor; people and pets may re-enter treated areas after spray has dried
- WAND MAKES APPLICATION EASY: The Comfort Wand eliminates hand fatigue, and there’s no pumping required, making it easy to spray along your home’s perimeter–indoors and outside
Additional Info :
FMC Talstar Pro 3/4 Gal-Multi Use Insecticide
Price : $60.17
Additional Info :
Bayer 4031982B Suspend 16oz, White
Price : $35.87
- Broad-spectrum control of more than 50 nuisance pests
- Effective knockdown with a long residual
- No odor, no visible residue
- Package Dimensions: 3.1 L x 27.7 H x 18.0 W (centimeters)
Additional Info :
Safer Brand 51703 OMRI Listed Diatomaceous Earth – Ant, Roach, Bedbug, Flea, Silverfish, Earwig, & Crawling Insect Killer
Price : $9.47 ($0.14 / Ounce)
- Say Goodbye to Bugs – Kills a variety crawling insects including roaches, ants, fleas, silverfish, earwigs, bedbugs, and more
- Attracts and Kills – Made from diatomaceous earth and selected baits, this powder causes insects to dehydrate and die within 48 hours after contact
- Mechanical Killer – Unlike many traditional chemical insecticides, insects cannot build an immunity to diatomaceous earth
- Use Where Insects Hide – DE can be used indoors or outdoors. Apply in cracks and crevices, along baseboards, or create a barrier around entry points
- Peace of Mind – This powder is OMRI Listed and compliant for use in organic gardening so you can use it without worry
Additional Info :
Final words are, Insecticides are one of the most effective ways to protect your home against insects, but they can be harmful to your health and the environment if they are not used correctly.