Fleas are small, hard-bodied insects that feed on the blood of warm-blooded animals. They live in your home, and they’re hard to get rid of. If you have a pet that is infested with fleas, there’s a good chance you’ll also have a problem with fleas in your home.
Did you know that fleas can survive in temperatures as low as 46 degrees? This means that even in the dead of winter, fleas are still a threat to your family.
If the temperature is consistently below freezing at night and only slightly higher during the day, it can take up to 5 days for an adult flea to die. At temperatures between less than 46 degrees and 33 degrees, survival rate varies between 10-20 days.
Although it may seem like our furry friends have a better chance at surviving cold weather than we do (we’re human), they don’t. Flea bites can cause serious irritation and discomfort in humans. If you have young children or pets, there’s no time like the present to protect them from these pesky parasites.
Life Cycle of Fleas
The life cycle of fleas is pretty straightforward. Most fleas have four life stages: egg, larva, pupa (in a cocoon), and adult.
Eggs are laid by adult fleas on the host animal’s fur. They’re about 1mm long and are generally white to yellowish-white in color. The female can lay up to 50 eggs each day, which she drops onto the host’s fur as she walks around. Eggs hatch into larvae within 24 hours.
The larvae are wormlike and measure about 2mm long when fully grown. They feed on blood from the host’s skin for 2-3 days before entering a cocoon stage called a pupa. The pupa attaches itself to the host’s skin or hair and stays there for about 10 days before turning into an adult flea (or “nymph”).
At what temperature will fleas die?
Fleas are a nightmare. They don’t just jump on you and make you itch, but they also bite and suck your blood. And worst of all, they can spread disease.
If you’ve got fleas in your home, it’s important to know how to get rid of them—and even more important to know how to keep them from coming back. So we did some research on the temperature at which fleas die, and here’s what we found:
Adult fleas die at temperatures colder than 46.4°F (8°C) and hotter than 95°F (35°C). Immature fleas, which refers to both flea eggs and larvae, are slightly more susceptible to the cold, dying at temperatures below 55.4°F (13°C).
Are fleas active in winter?
If you think that fleas are inactive in the winter, you’re wrong. While fleas may slow down a bit when it gets cold outside, they could still be active and on their regular life cycle indoors.
In fact, even if you keep your house at a temperature below freezing, fleas can survive in your home. They’ll just burrow deeper into carpets and other soft materials until they can come out again when the weather warms up.
Will fleas in house die in winter?
While there are plenty of people who believe that fleas will die off once cold temperatures hit, this is not actually the case.
Fleas are known to survive in extreme conditions, and they can even survive winter. In fact, they have been found to live in temperatures as low as -15 degrees Fahrenheit.
So how can you keep your home free of these pesky pests?
The best way to get rid of fleas is to treat both your cat and your house with flea treatments. While cats may have resistance to certain types of flea medications, there are many different options available for treating them.
When it comes to your house, there are many options available as well. Some people choose to use sprays or powders while others prefer using natural remedies such as borax or diatomaceous earth.
How do you get rid of fleas in the winter?
Fleas are tiny, but they can be a big problem for your pet. Luckily, it’s not hard to get rid of fleas in the winter.
First, you’ll want to wash all of your pet’s bedding in a hot water cycle. Fleas are cold-blooded, so they won’t survive in hot water.
Next, vacuum any areas that your pet spends time in regularly—like their bed or couch—and throw out the bag immediately after vacuuming. This will help ensure that there aren’t any stray fleas left behind that could reinfest your pet later on.
Finally, apply an insecticide directly on your pet’s fur and skin. Be sure to follow all instructions carefully so that you don’t accidentally poison yourself or your family members.
What kills fleas instantly?
If you’re looking for a way to kill fleas instantly, you can’t do better than dunking them in hot water.
Fleas are killed by heat, so as soon as you remove a flea from your pup’s fur, it’s time to put it in some hot water. The best thing is to use hot soapy water and then rinse it off before putting the flea back on your pup.
You can also try putting fleas in boiling water, but this can be tricky if you have a lot of them.
What time of day are fleas most active?
Fleas are most active at sunset, and least active at sunrise.
That’s because they don’t want to get caught in the sun. They prefer the shade, where they can bite without getting burned by the sun’s rays.
Fleas spend most of their time hiding in your carpet or furniture and waiting for you to come home so they can jump onto you and start biting.
List of products to prevent fleas
Fleas are a real problem for dogs, cats, and humans alike. They can carry diseases and make pets uncomfortable. It’s important to prevent fleas before they become a problem. Here are some of the best products on the market:
- 6 monthly applications of K9 Advantix II flea and tick prevention for extra-large dogs weighing 55 pounds or more
- K9 Advantix II flea and tick prevention for dogs works through contact, so fleas, ticks and mosquitoes do not have to bite your dog to die
- K9 Advantix II flea and tick control for dogs is an easy to apply topical formula
- Starts working to kill fleas within 12 hours and keeps working for 30 days
- Suitable for effective year-round dog flea and tick treatment for extra-large dogs
Additional Info :
Price : $11.99
- Ultimate Protection: The balaclava face mask is humanized designed with UPF30+, to against most of the (95%-99%) UV rays. The full cover mask helps to against the sun, wind, dust, smog, pollution, garden pollen and etc. The soft ice silk fabric offers coolness in hot summer.
- Superior Cooling: The balaclava is specially designed with ice silk fabric, which helps to cool your skin for 3 hours after absorbing sweat or water. It is the exact balaclava provides you with the cooling and comfortable feeling throughout the whole hot days.
- Breathable & Lightweight: This summer balaclava mask is made of mesh material, which is rather breathable and easy to breathe; It is a lightweight sun balaclava, great for hot weather to wear.
- Versatile Balaclava Mask: This sun full head mask can be worn as a headgear or worn under a helmet, as well as a full face mask, open balaclava, running mask or neck gaiter. It also can be used as a towel to swipe your sweats if you tie a knot on your wrist. Offering comfortable experience in outdoor activities, such as cycling, fishing, running, bicycling, climbing, boating, jogging, hiking, traveling.
- Durable & Machine Washable: The balaclava mask sewing is strong enough and not easy to break, super durable for a long time use. It still keeps in good condition even after many times washing. Hand wash and machine wash are both acceptable.
Additional Info :
Price : $38.99
- Waterproof flea and tick treatment for dogs: Frontline Plus for Dogs provides waterproof, fast-acting, long-lasting flea and tick treatment and control for your dog. This product is approved for use on dogs 5-22 lbs.
- Break the flea life cycle with frontline: Frontline flea and tick treatment for dogs kills adult fleas plus flea eggs and larvae to stop existing infestations and prevent establishment of new infestations.
- Kills fleas and ticks: Frontline flea and tick treatment for dogs kills fleas, flea eggs, lice, and ticks. This flea and tick treatment kills ticks, including those that may transmit Lyme disease.
- Trusted flea and tick protection for dogs: Frontline has been trusted by veterinarians for nearly 20 years. Made with 2 tough killing ingredients, fipronil and (S)-methoprene – one to kill adult fleas and ticks and the second to kill flea eggs and larvae – this fast-acting, long-lasting protection provides flea and tick control for dogs and puppies 8 weeks and older
- Lasting flea and tick protection: Frontline’s long-lasting formula isstored in the oil glands of the pet’s skin to give non-stop flea and tick protection for a full 30 days. Frontline flea and tick treatment for dogs works non-stop for a full 30 days. A 3-dose supply lasts for 3 months.
Additional Info :
Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Home Spray | Flea Treatment for Dogs and Home | Plant-Based Formula | 32 Ounces
Price : $10.49
- GENTLE PROTECTION: Vet’s Best Flea & Tick Home Spray uses certified natural ingredients to kill fleas, flea eggs, and ticks on contact.
- PROVEN EFFECTIVE: Whether facing an active infestation or are applying for routine prevention, our spray is scientifically proven effective against pests but gentle enough to use around the whole family.
- CERTIFIED NATURAL OILS: Each steam-distilled essential oil is selected for its potent pest-fighting properties and is 100% Certified Natural.
- TOTAL HOME DEFENSE: Applies easily on surfaces, indoors and out, including dog bedding, crates, furniture, blankets, upholstery, carpets, outdoor surfaces, and more. Also gentle enough to be applied directly on dogs and puppies 12 weeks or older.
- MADE IN THE USA: Our products are proudly manufactured in the USA with quality domestic and internationally sourced ingredients.
Additional Info :
Beloved Pets Flea and Tick Control Treats for Dogs – Flea Prevention Soft Chews – Natural Tick Repellent Supplement – Made in USA Chewables – 140 Ct (Bacon)
Price : $26.91 ($0.09 / Gram)
- ✅ DAILY FLEA & TICK PROTECTION: flea & tick soft treats provides daily protection and control for your dog against fleas and ticks
- ✅ NATURAL & DELICIOUS & SAFE: the soft chews made with only natural and safe ingredients and it’s really tasty bacon flavor for dogs
- ✅ EASY TO USE: Just give some chews your dog daily to protect from fleas and ticks. RECOMMENDED SERVING PER DAY: up to 10 LB – 1 chew, 10-30 LB – 2 chews, 31-60 LB – 3 chews, 61-90 LB – 4 chews, 90+ LB – 5 chews
- ✅ ADVANCED FORMULA MADE BY USA VETS: the healthy formula contains hemp that has a complex healing effect on the body. NO GMO, cellulose, canola, corm, palm, soy
- ✅NO AGE LIMITS: the flea treats can be used for dogs of any age
Additional Info :
Fleas can live in cold weather, but it is a lot harder for them to survive. Fleas are most active when the temperature is between 70 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. When the temperature drops below that range, fleas become sluggish and inactive. Because of this, fleas will not bite as often or as vigorously as they would if it was warmer outside. If there are still enough hosts available for them to feed on, however, they will continue to live until the weather warms up again.