Coconut oil can be used for a number of things, but it’s especially helpful in the fight against fleas. Here’s how to use coconut oil to repel fleas on your pets and around your home. Coconut oil is an excellent flea repellent for dogs and cats that is safe and effective. It’s also a great way to help your pet’s skin stay healthy and moisturized, especially if they have dry or itchy skin due to allergies or fleas.
Fleas are attracted to the smell of your pet’s skin, and the oils in coconut oil can mask the scent of your pet’s natural oils, making it harder for fleas to tell where they’re coming from. In addition, coconut oil has insecticidal properties, which means that even if a few flea eggs hatch on your pet’s coat, they won’t be able to survive long enough to lay more eggs.
Coconut oil has been used for a variety of purposes for thousands of years, and one of its most popular uses is as a natural repellent. Does coconut oil repel fleas? The answer is yes. Coconut oil is known to have antibacterial properties and can be used on pets to help prevent the spread of fleas. It can also be applied directly to your pets to help keep them free from fleas and ticks.
The active ingredient in coconut oil that makes it effective against fleas is lauric acid, which is found in large quantities in human breast milk. This ingredient has been shown to be extremely effective against insects and other pests because it paralyzes them by destroying their nervous systems, preventing them from feeding or moving around freely. It also has antifungal properties that can kill off any fungus present on your pet’s skin or hair, which may be contributing to the problem.
Coconut oil contains caprylic acid which is known for its antifungal properties. When applied directly on the skin, it can help to kill off any type of fungus or bacteria that may be causing infections on your dog’s skin or fur (such as ringworm). The same goes for ticks- coconut oil has been proven to prevent ticks from attaching themselves onto dogs’ fur during walks through wooded areas where these parasites tend to live in high numbers during warmer months each year (May-September).
Another benefit of using coconut oil on dogs is that it will help them shed less hair than usual because it acts as a natural conditioner against dryness/ frizziness caused.
Does Coconut Oil Kill Fleas on Humans?
The short answer is yes—coconut oil does kill fleas. Unfortunately, this is not as easy to do as simply applying the oil directly to your skin or hair and waiting for the pests to fall off. If you want to use coconut oil to kill fleas on humans, you’ll need to use a bit more effort than just rubbing it in.
First of all, you should always try to prevent fleas from getting onto your skin or into your home in the first place. You can do this by vacuuming regularly and using an insecticide spray around the perimeter of your home. And if any pets in the house are infested with fleas (or other insects), they should be treated immediately with medication from a veterinarian.
If these measures don’t work and you find yourself with an infestation in spite of all precautions taken beforehand, there are still some things that can be done about it—and one of them involves coconut oil.
Does Coconut Oil Get Rid of Flea Eggs?
Coconut oil is a natural flea repellent. It can be used on your dog’s skin, as well as in their food and water. Coconut oil also has antibacterial properties, so it is great at preventing infections and other problems associated with flea infestation.
But does coconut oil get rid of flea eggs? Not exactly. The eggs are deposited by the fleas onto your dog or cat’s fur, so you won’t be able to remove them using coconut oil alone.
If you want to get rid of flea eggs, you’ll need to combine this method with other treatments like bathing your pet and using insecticides on their bedding or blankets where they sleep at night time when they’re most likely to bite other people or animals who could become infected if left untreated for too long.
How Long Does It Take Coconut Oil to Kill Fleas
Coconut oil is a natural, all-natural remedy for fleas. It’s also safe for humans and pets. The answer depends on the concentration of coconut oil you use and the kind of flea you’re dealing with. For example, if you have a small amount of fleas that you want to get rid of quickly, then you should use a strong concentration of coconut oil.
If your problem is more serious and the fleas are more resistant to the oil, then it will take longer for them to die off. In general, it takes about 24 hours for 100% coconut oil to kill fleas. However, this does not mean that you should wait 24 hours before applying the coconut oil to your pet’s fur. Instead, you should apply it immediately after purchasing it (or even before buying if possible) and then reapply every day or two until all of the fleas are gone.
You may want to avoid applying too much coconut oil at once because this could cause irritation on your pet’s skin.
Homemade coconut oil for fleas repellent
- -1 cup of distilled water (or filtered water if you are going to use a spray bottle)
- -1/4 cup of coconut oil (virgin or refined)
- -10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil (optional)
1. In a double boiler, melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Once it is melted, remove from heat and add the eucalyptus essential oil (if using). Stir well to mix in the eucalyptus. Set aside to cool for about 20 minutes.
2. Once cooled, place it in a spray bottle and shake well before each use. You can also pour some into an empty bottle with a pump top and apply as needed without having to worry about getting your hands dirty.
List of Coconut Oil Fleas Repellent and Where to Buy
Coconut oil is a popular ingredient in many types of products, including soaps and shampoos. It’s also a great flea repellent. Here are some of the best coconut oil fleas repellents that you can buy online:
Organic Coconut Oil, Cold-Pressed – Natural Hair Oil, Skin Oil and Cooking Oil with Fresh Flavor, Non-GMO Unrefined Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (Aceite de Coco), USDA Organic, 16 oz
Price : $7.55 ($0.47 / Fl Oz)
- Naturally Nourishing Coconut Oil for Hair – With its unique combination of natural fats, coconut oil helps hydrate hair and nourish the scalp. It’s ideal for use as a conditioner, detangler, or coconut oil hair mask.
- Hydrate Naturally With Coconut Oil for Skin – Coconut oil organic is a naturally moisturizing body oil that can help skin feel soft, smooth and hydrated. Use our coconut oil for face as a makeup remover—or even as a natural alternative to massage oils.
- Perfect Coconut Oil for Cooking and Baking – An unrefined coconut oil with a naturally high smoke point (350°F), this is the perfect cooking oil for baking, frying and sautéing. Our pure coconut oil is cold-pressed from fresh, organic coconuts, delivering a rich flavor and aroma.
- A Kitchen and Beauty Staple – Whether you’re using our coconut oil for body moisturizer, as a coconut hair oil or as a cooking oil, it’s an all-natural, easy-to-use addition to any lifestyle. It’s perfect for keto, paleo, or gluten-free diets, or just as a tastier alternative to cooking with olive oil or butter.
- USDA-Certified Organic & Non-GMO Project Verified – Using some of the world’s highest-quality organic coconuts, our cold pressed coconut Oil (aceite de coco) is USDA-Certified Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, Certified gluten free, Keto and Paleo, plus its grown and harvested organically without the use of harmful chemicals or additives.
Additional Info :
Sawyer Products SP564 Premium Insect Repellent with 20% Picaridin, Lotion, 4-Ounce
Price : $5.97
- Safe for use on the whole family, long-lasting insect and tick repellent lotion deters a wide variety of pests — up to 14 hours against mosquitoes and ticks and up to 8 hours against flies, gnats, and chiggers
- Fragrance-free topical insect repellent with 20% Picaridin — more effective at repelling biting flies than DEET; repels disease-spreading ticks (Lyme, tick-borne encephalitis) and mosquitoes (West Nile, Dengue, and Zika viruses), chiggers, and more
- Very comfortable to wear on your skin, it’s ideal for all your outdoor adventures, from camping, backpacking, hunting, and fishing to backyard BBQs, sporting events, days at the park, and more
- Non-greasy; dries quickly and won’t damage plastics or synthetic coatings — safe for use on clothing, backpacks, watches, sunglasses, fishing line, firearm finishes, and more
- Top rated bug repellent by WireCutter/New York Times (May, 2020); maximize protection by pairing with Sawyer Permethrin tick and insect repellent spray for clothing and gear
Additional Info :
Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Home Spray | Flea Treatment for Dogs and Home | Plant-Based Formula | 32 Ounces
Price : $9.97
- GENTLE PROTECTION: Vet’s Best Flea & Tick Home Spray uses certified natural ingredients to kill fleas, flea eggs, and ticks on contact.
- PROVEN EFFECTIVE: Whether facing an active infestation or are applying for routine prevention, our spray is scientifically proven effective against pests but gentle enough to use around the whole family.
- CERTIFIED NATURAL OILS: Each steam-distilled essential oil is selected for its potent pest-fighting properties and is 100% Certified Natural.
- TOTAL HOME DEFENSE: Applies easily on surfaces, indoors and out, including dog bedding, crates, furniture, blankets, upholstery, carpets, outdoor surfaces, and more. Also gentle enough to be applied directly on dogs and puppies 12 weeks or older.
- MADE IN THE USA: Our products are proudly manufactured in the USA with quality domestic and internationally sourced ingredients.
Additional Info :
Mighty Mint – 16oz Insect and Pest Control Peppermint Oil – Natural Spray for Spiders, Ants, and More – Non Toxic
Price : $18.98
- Extra Concentrated for Long-Lasting Protection
- Natural Ingredients Proven Effective in the Real World
- Large 16oz Bottle
- Powerful Essential Oil
Additional Info :
Organic Fractionated Coconut Oil 16oz- Moisturizing Hair & Body Oil, Carrier Oil
Price : $13.99
- Pure Coconut Oil Skin Moisturizer- Ultra-hydrating and easily absorbed, fractionated coconut oil organic will leave your skin feeling silky smooth and nourished, with no greasy residue. Apply it after a shower as a moisturizing coconut oil for face and body, or use it as an organic coconut massage oil.
- Hydrating Coconut Oil for Hair – This multi-tasking coconut hair oil is the perfect lightweight oil to nourish luscious hair. Mix a few drops of our liquid coconut oil with your shampoo for extra hydration, or use it as a leave-in conditioner for shiny, healthy-looking hair.
- Fractionated Coconut Oil for Essential Oils Mixing – Our coconut carrier oil is an ideal base for all your DIY beauty recipes, from hair serums to moisturizers and massage oils. Mix 3-6 drops of your favorite essential oil with a tablespoon of oil, to keep your skin glowing and happy.
- Versatile Plant-Based Beauty – This light and nourishing plant-based oil is the perfect addition to any beauty routine. Use it alone as a moisturizing body oil for skin, or blend it into your homemade lotions, aftershave, lip balms, make up remover and more.
- 100% Pure and USDA Organic – Unlike almost every other fractionated coconut oil on the market, ours is 100% pure and certified organic. With no added preservatives, our fractionated coconut oil organic is hexane free and Non-GMO. Just pure, coconut goodness.
Additional Info :
Coconut oil repels fleas because it acts as a thick, gooey barrier that prevents fleas from getting to your dog’s skin. It also has natural antimicrobial properties, which means it kills any potential bacteria or parasites that could be living on the skin. The best way to use coconut oil for flea prevention is by applying it directly to your dog’s fur and skin. You can use it in conjunction with other products or on its own if you prefer.