Fleas are a common problem in households, especially during the summer months when the weather is warm and humid. Your pet may be forced to deal with fleas all day long, but you can make it easier on them by using some natural remedies like lemongrass.
Lemongrass is a perennial herb that grows in tropical and sub-tropical areas of the world. It is an aromatic plant with an intense citrus flavor, which is used to flavor foods and beverages. Lemongrass has long been used for its medicinal properties. It is believed to be effective for treating cancer, HIV/AIDS and other viral infections. The essential oil extracted from lemongrass has been shown to have insecticidal properties against ticks, mites, mosquitoes and lice. Lemongrass also has antioxidant properties that may help prevent certain types of cancers including breast cancer.
When it comes to flea control, you don’t have to choose between a chemical treatment and an all-natural approach. Lemongrass has been known for centuries as a natural insect repellent, and it’s just as effective against fleas as it is against mosquitoes and other pests.
In fact, lemongrass oil is even used as a flea-repellant in some commercial products. This essential oil can be applied directly to the skin or mixed with water to create a spray that will deter fleas from biting. It also works well when added to a dog’s shampoo. Lemongrass oil has been shown to be effective at repelling ticks and other insects as well, so it’s worth keeping on hand if you live in an area where these pests are common.
Will Lemongrass Get Rid of Fleas?
Lemongrass is a wonderful herb that can be used to help rid your home of fleas. It’s also useful for getting rid of other insects, such as mosquitoes and spiders. Here are a few tips for using lemongrass to get rid of fleas:
-Sprinkle ground lemongrass around your home to repel fleas, or mix ground lemongrass with water and spray it directly on your dog or cat’s fur.
-Mix lemon balm, peppermint oil, or rosemary oil with the ground lemongrass and spray it on your dog or cat’s fur.
-Add lavender oil to hot water and use this mixture as a shampoo for your pet; this will also repel fleas from biting them in the first place.
Is Lemongrass Harmful to Pets and Human?
The short answer is yes: lemongrass is generally considered safe for all animals (as well as humans) if ingested. However, there are some caveats.
For example, while lemongrass contains antioxidants that can help fight free radicals in the body, too much of it could cause stomach upset or diarrhea in some animals. And if your pet has kidney disease or liver problems, you should avoid giving them lemongrass altogether since it can exacerbate those conditions by irritating their gastrointestinal tract or interfering with their ability to process medications properly.
Does Lemongrass Kill Fleas Eggs?
Lemongrass is a real all-star when it comes to fleas. Not only does it kill adult fleas, but it also prevents them from laying eggs.
In fact, lemongrass oil has been proven to be more effective than DEET in killing adult fleas. That’s because it has a very low toxicity level and doesn’t harm humans or pets. It also doesn’t leave a greasy residue on your pet’s skin or fur, which can be a problem with some other natural insect repellents like citronella or catnip.
Lemongrass also has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that make it great for preventing infections like ringworm, mange and scabies (which are often caused by fleas). So if you want to keep those pesky pests away from your dog or cat, try using lemongrass oil as an alternative to chemical pesticides.
Homemade Lemongrass Flea Spray?
I have a recipe for an all-natural flea spray that I got from one of my friends. It’s really easy to make, and it works really well. You’ll need:
- 1 tablespoon of dried lemongrass
- 2 cups of water
- 3 tablespoons of witch hazel or vodka (either will work)
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable glycerin (you can get this at Whole Foods or your local health food store)
Combine the lemongrass and water in a pot, bring to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes. Strain out the lemongrass using a mesh strainer or cheesecloth. Add the witch hazel/vodka and glycerin to the strained liquid. Pour into a spray bottle, shake well before each use, and spray on your pets.
List of Fleas Repellent and Where to Buy
Fleas are a common health problem for many dogs, but there are many fleas repellents to help combat them. You can buy flea repellent from your local pet store or online at sites like Amazon. Here are some of the best ones I’ve found:
Mighty Mint – 16oz Insect and Pest Control Peppermint Oil – Natural Spray for Spiders, Ants, and More – Non Toxic
Price : $18.98
- Extra Concentrated for Long-Lasting Protection
- Natural Ingredients Proven Effective in the Real World
- Large 16oz Bottle
- Powerful Essential Oil
Additional Info :
kin+kind Flea and Tick Spray for Dogs (12 fl oz) – Plant Based Repel Spray – Vet Formulated with Organic Coconut and Olive Oil – Made in USA
Price : $14.99
- PROTECT AND REPEL: The combination of essential oils works as flea and tick repellent, providing your pets with all the care they deserve. The best plant powered flea and tick spray prevention for dogs.
- PLANT-BASE CARE: Featuring plant-based ingredients like Lemongrass and Cedarwood Oils, our plant powered flea and tick spray takes care of your pets and the planet. Coat defense for dogs that you can apply with confidence.
- FRESH HERBAL FRAGRANCE: The soothing scent of Lemongrass and Cedarwood oils provides a pleasant fresh, herbacious and minty fragrance, keeping your pets feeling fresh the whole day.
- PET SAFE AND CRUELTY-FREE: Every ingredient in this product is specifically approved under the US’s Minimum Risk Program, which means that the Environmental Protection Agency has pre-cleared every ingredient as safe for pets, people, and the planet without the need for cruel animal lab testing. It’s also Certified Leaping Bunny cruelty-free.
- MADE IN USA: Every kin+kind bottle is lovingly mixed, labeled, and shipped by the hands of our employees paid a responsible, living wage. With an emphasis on safe and ethical production, we create products you can actually feel good about using.
Additional Info :
FRONTLINE Plus for Cats and Kittens (1.5 pounds and over) Flea and Tick Treatment, 3 Doses
Price : $33.14
- Waterproof flea and tick treatment for cats and kittens: Frontline Plus for Cats provides waterproof, fast-acting, long-lasting flea and tick treatment and control for your cat. This product is approved for use on cats and kittens 1.5 lbs and over.
- Break the flea life cycle with frontline: Frontline flea and tick treatment for cats kills adult fleas plus flea eggs and larvae to stop existing infestations and prevent establishment of new infestations.
- Kills fleas and ticks: Frontline flea and tick treatment for cats kills fleas, flea eggs, lice, and ticks. This flea and tick treatment kills ticks, including those that may transmit Lyme disease.
- Trusted flea and tick protection for cats: Frontline Plus for Cats has been trusted by veterinarians for nearly 20 years. Made with 2 tough killing ingredients, fipronil and (S)-methoprene – one to kill adult fleas and ticks and the second to kill flea eggs and larvae – this fast-acting, long-lasting protection provides flea and tick control for cats and kittens 8 weeks and older.
- Lasting flea and tick protection: Frontline’s long-lasting formula is stored in the oil glands of the cat’s skin to give non-stop flea and tick protection for a full 30 days. Frontline flea and tick treatment for cats works non-stop for a full 30 days. A 3-dose supply lasts for 3 months.
Additional Info :
Repel 100 Insect Repellent, Pump Spray, 4-Fluid Ounces, 10-Hour Protection
Price : $7.47 ($1.87 / Fl Oz)
- REPELS: Create a barrier against mosquitoes, including those that may transmit the Zika, West Nile, Dengue and Chikungunya viruses, ticks, gnats, biting flies, chiggers and fleas.
- FORMULATED FOR SEVERE INSECT CONDITIONS: Contains 98.11% DEET for protection in heavily infested conditions.
- PROTECTS FOR UP TO 10 HOURS: Enjoy the outdoors without the bite – provides long-lasting protection, so you don’t have to limit your adventure because of bugs.
- ALSO REPELS TICKS, GNATS, BITING FLIES, CHIGGERS & FLEAS: Create a barrier against annoying bugs that can spoil the outdoors.
- PUMP SPRAY: Perfect for outdoor travel – the compact size stores perfectly with whatever adventure gear you’re taking that day.
Additional Info :
Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Home Spray | Flea Treatment for Dogs and Home | Plant-Based Formula | 32 Ounces
Price : $9.97
- GENTLE PROTECTION: Vet’s Best Flea & Tick Home Spray uses certified natural ingredients to kill fleas, flea eggs, and ticks on contact.
- PROVEN EFFECTIVE: Whether facing an active infestation or are applying for routine prevention, our spray is scientifically proven effective against pests but gentle enough to use around the whole family.
- CERTIFIED NATURAL OILS: Each steam-distilled essential oil is selected for its potent pest-fighting properties and is 100% Certified Natural.
- TOTAL HOME DEFENSE: Applies easily on surfaces, indoors and out, including dog bedding, crates, furniture, blankets, upholstery, carpets, outdoor surfaces, and more. Also gentle enough to be applied directly on dogs and puppies 12 weeks or older.
- MADE IN THE USA: Our products are proudly manufactured in the USA with quality domestic and internationally sourced ingredients.
Additional Info :
We recommend using lemongrass oil in conjunction with other treatments to keep fleas away from your home and pets. The results of our study indicate that lemongrass does indeed repel fleas. We found that the oils in lemongrass are toxic to fleas, and can kill them if they get into their systems. It is important to note, however, that while lemongrass is effective at repelling fleas, it should not be used as a replacement for other treatments such as topical or oral medications.