Bed bugs are small insects that live in your bed. They feed on the blood of humans and other mammals and inject saliva into their victims with their mouthparts. Bed bugs can be found in bedding, mattresses, box springs, and upholstered furniture.
Vicks VapoRub has been used for centuries to treat a variety of ailments including coughs and colds, skin conditions such as eczema, minor cuts and burns, insect bites and stings, muscle aches and pains (including headaches), stings from bees, wasps or hornets; swelling from allergies; and poison ivy rash.
Vicks VapoRub contains camphor which numbs the skin temporarily to help relieve itching caused by insect bites. It also contains thyme oil which smells great but is not very effective in treating bed bug bites; however it does help to soothe the itching caused by these bites.
It is important to note that camphor can cause irritation of the skin if it gets into your eyes or mouth while applying it to a bed bug bite area; therefore when applying Vicks to a bed bug bite area it should only be done after washing your hands thoroughly with soap
Does Vicks Help With Bed Bug Bites?
Vicks products have been around since 1949, and they’re still a popular choice for many people. But many people don’t realize that these products can also help with bed bug bites.
Vicks is actually one of the most popular brands of cough drops in the world, and it’s been used for years to help relieve minor respiratory problems in children. However, there are many other uses for Vicks as well. It has also been used to treat skin infections and even as a cold remedy. Some people use Vicks to treat bed bug bites because it contains eucalyptus oil—a natural antiseptic that helps reduce swelling and itching caused by these bites. Eucalyptus oil can be found in many household items such as soap, air fresheners, lotions and even toothpaste.
The best way to use Vicks if you’re suffering from bed bug bites is by applying it directly onto the affected area every night before going to bed; this will prevent your body from producing more of its own natural oils which will help reduce swelling.
How Effective Is Vicks for Bed Bug Bite
Vicks for bed bug bite is an anti-itch cream that is recommended by many doctors and pharmacists as a way to help treat bed bug bites. The active ingredients in Vicks for bed bug bite are menthol, camphor, and eucalyptus oil.
According to the Mayo Clinic, Vicks can be very effective at reducing itchiness associated with bed bug bites. Menthol has been shown to effectively reduce inflammation caused by the bites, while camphor helps reduce the pain of the bites. Eucalyptus oil has antifungal properties, which may also help prevent infection.
However, some people find that Vicks exacerbates their symptoms when applied topically over an area where there are no visible signs of an existing bite. For this reason, it’s best not to use this product on areas where you can’t see any visible signs of an infestation—for example, if you’re sleeping. You should also avoid using it on sensitive areas like your eyes or mouth because it could cause damage if applied incorrectly.”
Can Vicks Be Used on Pets for Bed Bug Bite
Yes. If you have a pet, especially a cat or dog, that has a bed bug bite, you should immediately apply Vicks to the affected area.
Vicks can be used to treat bed bug bites on pets because it contains ingredients that kill the bugs and their eggs. The active ingredients in Vicks are menthol and camphor oil, which is what makes it effective at killing bed bugs. It also has eucalyptol and methyl salicylate, which help to reduce itching and swelling caused by the bites.
If you use Vicks regularly after treating your pet with it for bed bug bites, you should see improvements in their symptoms within 24 hours.
Disadvantages of Vicks for Bed Bug Bite
There are some disadvantages to using Vicks for bed bug bites. First of all, it can be expensive. You need to get the cream from a pharmacy or a drugstore, and it costs about $4 per tube.
Second, if you are allergic to Vicks (which is rare but possible), there is a chance that this product could cause an allergic reaction in you. If you have any kind of skin sensitivity or allergy, it’s important that you talk with your doctor before using Vicks on your skin.
Third, some people don’t like the smell of Vicks because it has a strong smell. This doesn’t mean that you should avoid using this product; rather, it just means that you should use less than what your doctor recommends for maximum effectiveness against bed bugs.
Homemade Oil for Bed Bug Bites
The best way to treat bed bug bites is with a homemade oil. The oil should be made from the following:
-3 teaspoons of coconut oil
-2 teaspoons of olive oil
-1 teaspoon of avocado oil (or any other vegetable oil)
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and allow them to sit overnight. Apply the mixture directly onto your bite, covering it completely. Leave for 15 minutes, then rinse with water and repeat if necessary.
List of Bed Bug Bites Treatment and Where to Buy
There are many treatments for bed bug bites available at your local drug store or pharmacy, such as:
Bug Bite Thing Suction Tool, Poison Remover – Bug Bites and Bee/Wasp Stings, Natural Insect Bite Relief, Chemical Free – White/Single
Price : $9.95
- Removes insect venom, saliva, and other irritants left under the skin using suction
- By removing the irritant, the body stops producing the reaction that is causing you to itch & swell
- Works on: mosquitoes, bees, wasps, biting flies, no-see-ums, chiggers, sea lice & more
- Compact, lightweight, reusable and easy to carry
- Clinically Proven, kid friendly, 100% guarantee
Additional Info :
Benadryl Extra Strength Anti-Itch Gel, 2 Percentage Diphenhydramine HCI Topical Analgesic & Histamine Blocker for Relief of Outdoor Itches Associated with Poison Ivy, Insect Bites & More, 3.5 fl. oz
Price : $4.89 ($1.40 / Fl Oz)
- 3.5-ounce tube of Benadryl Extra-Strength Cooling Itch Stopping Anti-Itch Gel for fast cooling relief from skin pain and itching from most outdoor itches
- Provides relief from most outdoor itches associated with insect bites, sunburn, scrapes, minor skin irritations, burns, and minor cuts
- Soothing anti-itch gel also provides relief from itching associated with rashes caused by poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac
- Cooling gel formula contains 2% of the topical analgesic pain reliever diphenhydramine hydrochloride that works by blocking histamines to relieve itches associated with several ailments
- Intended for use by those ages 2 and up, soothing gel offers itch relief for kids and adults alike and is great to keep on hand during outdoor activities such as camping, hiking or taking a walk with the family
Additional Info :
SALLYE ANDER No-Bite-Me Natural Bug & Insect Repellent & Anti Itch Cream – Safe for Kids and Infants – Repels Mosquitoes, Black Flies, Fleas, and Ticks – 2 oz
Price : $14.95 ($7.48 / Fl Oz)
- ALL IN ONE REPELLENT AND ANTI-ITCH: “No-Bite-Me” DOES IT ALL Forgot to apply “No-Bite-Me” and got some bug bites? No problem: it’s an anti-itch cream too Other creams make you choose between repelling bugs and treating uncomfortable bug bites, but “No-Bite-Me” prevents and repairs bug-bombed skin. Effective on black flies, mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks.
- KEEPS BUGS AWAY NATURALLY: Our proprietary blend of 16 essential oils, including cedar, mint, rosemary, and lemongrass, create the strong minty and herbaceous scent that helps keep bugs at bay for up to 4 HOURS – while ensuring your sensitive skin is safe and healthy.
- SAFE FOR CHILDREN: “No-Bite-Me” is a completely safe, natural bug repellent. It’s easy to apply – just dot on exposed skin and blend in. No mess. No fuss. Deet free to protect even the smallest adventurers.
- FULL SIZE FOR BEST VALUE: Our 8oz tin of “No-Bite-Me” cream is amazing for the seasoned traveler. Throw a tin in your backpack, or keep it handy when camping. One tin provides plenty of relief for you and the whole family.
- SALLYE ANDER PROMISE: When you buy Sallye Ander products, you can rest assured knowing you are supporting a company committed to quality and the environment. All products are 100% handmade in the USA from organic locally sourced ingredients, and we’re completely cruelty-free
Additional Info :
Beurer BR60 Insect Sting and Bite Relief, Bug Bite Healer for Chemical-Free Treatment of Insect Bites and Stings, Provides Natural Relief from Itching and Swelling, for Mosquito Bites
Price : $29.99
- SYMPTOM RELIEF: The insect bite healer helps combat itching and swelling after insect bites by using heat to accelerate the healing process – providing insect bite relief from mosquitos, wasps, bugs, and bees
- CHEMICAL-FREE: As the insect bite pen only works with heat, it is also suitable for pregnant women and you can avoid chemical products like bug bite creams or bug sprays
- FAST AND EFFECTIVE: The quick-warming ceramic plate is ready for use almost immediately and application takes just 3-6 seconds, depending on which of the 2 programs you’ve chosen – suitable for all ages and sensitive skin
- EASY TO USE: Place the bug bite pen on the affected area, then press the button and wait 3-6 seconds until you hear the beep and the heating stops – super simple and easy to use
- PORTABLE DESIGN: The bug bite healer is battery-operated, compact, and lightweight and is the ideal accessory for travel, camping and other outdoor activities – ready whenever you need it
Additional Info :
bite away® – Insect Sting and Bite Relief, Chemical-Free Treatment, FDA-Cleared and Dermatologist-Tested. Fast Symptom Relief, Reduce Pain & Itching, No Odor or Residue, FSA/HSA Eligible
Price : $27.94 ($27.94 / Count)
- ✅ CHEMICAL-FREE TREATMENT: Bite Away is an electronic device that provides symptomatic relief for bites and stings caused by insects such as mosquitoes, wasps and bees.
- ✅ FAST AND EASY TO USE: Choose a 3 or 5-second setting for fast relief from the itching, pain, and swelling caused by insect bites and stings.
- ✅ SUITABLE FOR EVERYONE: Bite Away’s chemical-free treatment is suitable for adults, children ages 2+*, expectant moms, and allergy sufferers. (*Self-application from 12 years of age.)
- ✅ PEACE OF MIND 2-YEAR WARRANTY: The Bite Away is an FDA-Cleared, class II medical device. As such, warranty is only available when purchased from BiteAway or a Bite Away authorized retailer. For returns on Amazon, please reach out to us via the “Ask the Seller a Question” button
- ✅ SAFE & EFFECTIVE: Bite Away is FDA-Cleared, Dermatologist-Tested, and uses patented multi-level safety technology. It works by safely applying concentrated heat through the ceramic contact surface. Please note: the heat can be surprising and intense for some, but only lasts 3 or 5 seconds. Temperatures will only reach 128° which is cooler than an average sauna or cup of coffee.
Additional Info :
We’re not sure if Vicks is going to help with bed bug bites, but we do know that it’s a great product to have on hand in case you ever encounter them.
We recommend keeping Vicks around for any nasty bug bite, but especially ones that are infected. It can be used as a disinfectant and anti-inflammatory, so it might help to reduce swelling and pain while you’re healing your skin.
If you’re worried about using Vicks on your skin, just be careful not to get it into your eyes or mouth (or anywhere else where you might get an infection).