Some ants can smell their food from more than 3 miles away. Other ants can carry 15 times their weight and some can even jump 45 times their body length. Amazing animals, but how far can ants smell? Have you ever wondered how far ants can smell? You’re not alone. In this article, we take a look at just that. And before you ask: No, we don’t have the answer. Humans cannot smell beyond a distance of 20cm. (That was the distance between nose and object in tests. The reactions were noted.)
Have you ever stopped to ponder how far an ant can smell? It may seem like a rather unusual question, but it isn’t as far-fetched as you might think. Ants have a very unique and sophisticated way of identifying their food and building strong trails that lead to the food source. Next time you’re in a public place try this: Use a mint or gum with a pleasant scent. Stand across from someone and ask them to guess what you’re chewing on. If they cannot place the scent, take the gum/mint out of your mouth… now watch their face light up with recognition when they realize what it is! That’s because your brain called up its memory of how good your breath always smells after chewing that gum/mint. But why does this happen? How could we possibly know what another person is chewing on before we’ve even picked our noses? A long time ago, before there was running water (or sometimes even electricity), I would visit my grandmother during the summer — if you know anything about country living, then you know everybody drinks tap water. One day while I was at my grandmother’s house I realized she didn’t have any glasses so I grabbed a coffee cup and went to fill it with water, only to
If you’re really interested, feel free to keep on reading for an extremely detailed and technical explanation of the science behind it, but otherwise let’s just look at some ants in slow motion getting completely wrecked by a scent bomb. Colonies of ants work tirelessly all day, carrying out their tasks as they live out their lives under the hot sun. But their busy lives are not limited to the dry dusty ground they so often occupy…and some of their activities are a little disturbing to humans, who generally prefer to keep their feet firmly planted on a solid surface, and off the heads of their friends.
How Far Can Ants Smell
How Far Can Ants Smell
Ants can smell with their antennae and their mouths. They have special organs on their antennae called sensilla, which are sensitive to different chemicals. These sensilla are used to detect food, communicate with other ants, and warn of danger. Ants also have a special organ in their mouth called Labium that is covered in scent-detecting hairs.
Ants can be very good at finding food. An ant will walk around until it finds some food and then bring it back to the colony where other ants will eat it. The smells of food attract other ants as well as animals like birds, cats and dogs who like to eat ants too! Ants are able to smell things that are very far away. A single ant can smell food up to a kilometre away, which is one and a half miles.
Ants also have many different types of smells they can recognize. They can tell the difference between food, enemies, and friends. Ants use their sense of smell to find other ants as well as food sources.
Ants do not rely on just one sense to locate their food source; they use all their senses when looking for something to eat. The ants have three different kinds of hairs on their antennae that help them smell different things in their environment. You may have heard that ants can smell a single drop of sugar water from up to 60 meters (200 feet) away. But can they really?
To find out, we asked Dr. John Orr at the University of Hawaii’s Department of Zoology, and here’s what he had to say:
“It depends on the size of the ant. Smaller ants have more sensitive noses than larger ants. That’s because their antennae have more antennal segments, which is where olfactory receptors are located.”
So what does this mean for you? If you’ve got a big colony of ants living under your home, chances are they can smell a lot further than you think. But if you’re talking about one or two ants crawling around on your kitchen counter… well, maybe not so much.
List of How Far Can Ants Smell
TERRO T800 Garbage Guard Trash Can Insect Killer – Kills Flies, Maggots, Roaches, Beetles, and Other Insects
- Eliminate & Prevent – The deeply penetrating vapor fills enclosed spaces to kill visible and hiding insects and prevent new infestations
- No More Maggots – Garbage Guard is effective against a variety of flying and crawling insects that are commonly found in trash cans
- Lasts up to 4 Months – Controlled release technology slowly diffuses the vapor to offer insect protection all summer long
- Easy to Use – Simply remove the adhesive backing, attach the pod to the inside of your trash can, close the lid and let the vapor do its work
- For Outdoors / Garages – These pods are designed for use in outdoor and garage trash cans, dumpsters, and trash bins
Additional Info :
- Attracts & Kills – Kills common household ants including acrobat, crazy, ghost, little black, odorous house, pavement, and other sweet-eating ants
- Kills the Ants You See & the Ones You Don’t – As worker ants discover the bait, they share it with the rest of the colony to eliminate them all
- Works Fast – You should see a significant decrease in the number of ants visiting the bait stations within just a few days
- Ready to Use – Place the bait stations, watch it attract ants, and eliminate the entire colony
- Use Throughout Your Home – Place stations near areas where you’ve seen ant activity including along baseboards, in corners, on counters, and more
Additional Info :
Ultrasonic Rodent Repellent,Indoor Mice Repellent Plug-ins 360° Mouse Deterrent Blocker 4 Modes Ultrasound Humane Squirrel Rat Repellent Electronic Pest Repeller Control for Home House Indoor Use
- 【4 in 1 Rodent Repellent】Ultrasonic rodent repellent has 4 function switches to adjust the operation modes. TEST = test tone (Simulates the sounds rodents hear, check the ultrasonic sound works or not). ULTRA = ultrasonic sound (Repels mice cockroaches, spiders effectively). TRANS = pressure waves (Repels squirrels, chipmunk effectively). DUO = pressure waves + ultrasonic sound(Repels all rodents mentioned above). You can choose different ultrasound modes depending on the degree of infestation.
- 【Safe And Easy To Use】 The indoor ultrasonic squirrel repellent adopts ultrasonic technology, without using any chemicals but just high-frequency sound waves which do not harm people or pets. Just plug the humane squirrel repellent into the socket of the AC100-240V outlet and it will start working. Mouse repellent naturally drives rodents out without killing or poisoning them. You will no longer need to clean out any mousetrap and dead rodents, no longer worry about getting germs during cleanup.
- 【Ultrasonic Rat Repeller Indoor】Indoor ultrasonic squirrel repellent effectively protects an area measuring 1938 unobstructed sq. ft (180 unobstructed sq.m), suitable for use in the house, office, warehouse, restaurant, school, basement, or any indoor area. 360° ultrasonic release to all-round drive away rodents and pests in your home. And since the ultrasonic waves emitted by the indoor mice repellent plug-ins do not penetrate walls, it is recommended to use one for each room.
- 【How Rat Repeller Works】 The mouse deterrent blocker is equipped with a transducer and dual speakers, adopts innovative frequency conversion technology, which can emit high impact pressure waves and 16KHz-35KHz changing ultrasonic sounds to disturb the central nervous systems of pests in your house. Indoor ultrasonic rodent repellent creates an unfriendly living environment for rodents then escape from the house, and discourage them from entering the protected area again in a long term.
- 【Powerful & Advanced Design】 This pest repeller control indoor emits pressure waves and changing ultrasonic sounds. It can keep squirrels, chipmunks, mice, rats, and most of the other common rodents away from your indoor area effectively. Mouse deterrent blocker exterminator with a unique appearance and small size, you can place this device in an unobstructed location to achieve the best driving effect. Note: You need to observe for 1-2 weeks to see the effect when using this device.
Additional Info :
Mighty Mint – 16oz Insect and Pest Control Peppermint Oil – Natural Spray for Spiders, Ants, and More – Non Toxic
- Extra Concentrated for Long-Lasting Protection
- Natural Ingredients Proven Effective in the Real World
- Large 16oz Bottle
- Powerful Essential Oil
Additional Info :
Cat Spray Deterrent Anti Scratch Furniture Protector – Cat Repellent Spray to Keep Cat Off & Bitter Anti Chew Spray, Non Toxic for Indoor & Outdoor Use Establish Boundaries & Keep Cat Off USA Product
- CAT SPRAY DETERRENT 2-N-1 FORMULA: Our 2-n-1 cat scratch furniture protector and powerful bitter spray stop cats and kittens from scratching, chewing, and gnawing at items in your house. Bluecare Labs has uniquely formulated this spray with you and your loved furry family member in mind. With consistent use of our cat training spray, your cat or kitten will become uninterested in areas that are off-limits. Stay calm! Just spray the areas your cat is attracted to and walk away.
- BREAK THE SCRATCHING AND CHEWING HABIT SAFELY: Make sure to reapply this Cat Training Spray on any area to keep it scratch-free and chewing-free every 24 hours or until the habit is broken. Remember that the application rate depends on how severe the cat’s habits are and how often they visit the area. EFFECTIVE AND SAFE FOR INDOOR & OUTDOOR USE.
- ADDED BITTERS TO PREVENT CHEWING: No need to yell or swat when your furry friend is chewing on your plants or other unwanted items! The added bitters in this formula will not harm your cat, it just tastes awful on any surface applied. Try a drop on your tongue… we dare you!, you will hate it and so will your kitten or cat. Our Cat Spray can be safely and easily be used on fabrics, furniture, woodwork, cords, blinds, rugs, plants, carpet, and or anything you don’t want your cat to chew on!
- SCRATCHING IS NORMAL INSTINCTIVE CAT BEHAVIOR: Cats and Kittens have a natural need to scratch. Some felines do this to express emotions, like excitement, to get attention, or sometimes to relieve stress. Cats also mark objects with their scent (they have scent glands in their paws), they scratch to care for their nails, and very often just an innocent way to get a good stretch.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED – NO HASSLE RETURNS: NO NEED TO RETURN THE BOTTLE – Every pet is different and if you are not 100% satisfied with our product we will refund you in full, no questions asked.
Additional Info :