There are few things worse than waking up to find that you have been bitten by a bed bug. These pests can be difficult to get rid of, but they are not impossible. To help you get rid of your bed bug problem, we have compiled this guide on how to get rid of bed bugs.
Bed bugs are small, brown insects that feed on blood. They live in cracks and crevices around the home, and they can hide in furniture and clothing. Bed bugs only come out at night to feed on humans or animals while they sleep.
Bed bug bites are not dangerous, but they can cause itching and irritation for several weeks after being bitten. If left untreated for too long, the bites can become infected or lead to anemia if the person does not have a healthy immune system.
What Does Bed Bug Smell Like?
Bed bugs are tiny, blood-sucking insects that are hard to spot. To make matters worse, they can leave an unpleasant smell behind in your home or hotel room.
The smell of bed bugs is often described as a musty odor with mildew or mold undertones. It’s not uncommon for people who have encountered bed bugs to say that the smell was much more pungent than they expected it to be.
If you suspect that you have bedbugs in your home, it’s important to take action right away. You don’t want the problem to get out of control before you know what’s going on.
How Long Does Bed Bug Smell Last?
The smell of bed bugs can be quite strong and unpleasant. This is due to the fact that bed bugs and their eggs are covered in a small amount of feces, which they leave behind when they feed on the blood of humans or animals.
The smell will last as long as there are still live bed bugs in your home. However, it can take several weeks for the smell to completely dissipate once you have treated your home with pesticides or other measures to eliminate them.
If you find yourself experiencing an unpleasant odor coming from your mattress or furniture, it may be caused by bed bugs. In this case, you should contact a pest control professional as soon as possible so they can come out and inspect your home for signs of infestation.
Can Bed Bugs Smell Make You Sick?
Bed bugs have a pretty potent smell, and they can definitely make you sick.
As anyone who’s had bed bugs knows, they are a major source of discomfort and stress. The idea of having those little insects crawling all over you and feeding on your blood is enough to make anyone want to throw up—and for good reason: bed bug bites can cause itchiness, swelling, rashes, and even skin infections. Not only that, but their bites can also cause headaches, nausea, and vomiting.
Bed bugs can make you sick, but not in the way you might expect. When bed bugs feed on human blood, they inject an anti-coagulant into their victims that keeps the human blood from clotting. This is what causes the itching, swelling, and other skin reactions that come with a bed bug infestation. The smell of humans blood is also what attracts them to their victims in the first place.
What Smell Keeps Bed Bugs Off of You?
The smell of lavender is one of the best ways to keep bed bugs off of you. The scent of lavender has been proven to repel bed bugs, and it works for a long time—in some cases up to 24 hours after being applied. Lavender oil is also a good option, but you should be careful with it because it can stain your clothes if you’re not careful. If you have a dog or cat that sleeps with you, rub their fur with lavender oil and then put them in bed with you.
If you don’t want to buy or use lavender in any form, there are other options. You can make a homemade repellent using lemon juice and water, which will keep the bugs away from your skin and clothes for several hours at a time. Another way to keep bed bugs away from your skin is by washing yourself with warm water and soap before going to sleep at night; this will remove any traces of food on your skin that could attract them in the first place.
How To Get Rid Of Bed Bug Smell
A lot of people have to deal with bed bugs at some point in their lives. These pesky little creatures are a pain to get rid of and end up being a huge inconvenience for many people. If you’re in that situation, you may be wondering how to get rid of the bed bug smell. The good news is that there are several ways that you can do this so that your house smells fresh again.
The first thing that you should do is wash all of your sheets and blankets with hot water. Bed bugs tend to leave behind a musky scent when they leave their hiding places, so it’s important that you get rid of all traces of them by washing all of the linens in hot water. You can use dish soap or laundry detergent if necessary.
Another thing that can help is using baking soda on rugs and carpets around the room where the insects were found. The baking soda will soak up any odors left behind by the bugs and will also help clean them off as well. Just sprinkle some baking soda onto any rugs or carpets where there was an infestation, then vacuum it up afterward (don’t forget about corners).
List of Products To Get Rid Of Bed Bug Smell
Getting rid of bed bugs can be a frustrating task. It’s not just about killing the bugs, but also getting rid of their smell. You don’t want to see bed bugs again, but you also don’t want to smell them either.
Fortunately, there are a number of different products available that can help you get rid of both the bugs and their odor. We’ve reviewed some of our favorites below.
TERRO T2502 Ready-to-Use Indoor Fruit Fly Killer and Trap with Built in Window – 2 Traps + 90 day Lure Supply
Price : $5.88 ($2.94 / Count)
- Works Fast – This fast-acting traps eliminate fruit fly infestations. You should notice a dramatic decrease in fruit fly populations within a few days
- Long-Lasting Lure – The ready-to-use, non-staining lure attracts adult fruit flies. Each trap lasts up to 45 days, giving you up to 90 days of protection!
- Discreet Design – The attractive, apple-shaped trap design will look at home in any kitchen. It also blends in with the fruit these pests love
- Monitor Catches – Each fruit fly trap has a built-in window, allowing you to easily keep an eye on catches and lure levels
- Locate Breeding Areas – These traps are most effective when placed near fruit fly breeding areas, including near fruit bowls, trash cans, on kitchen counters and sinks, and other locations where fruit is stored
Additional Info :
Paulas Choice–SKIN PERFECTING 2% BHA Liquid Salicylic Acid Exfoliant–Facial Exfoliant for Blackheads, Enlarged Pores, Wrinkles & Fine Lines, 4 oz Bottle
Price : $32.00 ($8.00 / Fl Oz)
- GENTLE NON-ABRASIVE LEAVE-ON EXFOLIATOR: with 2% BHA (Beta hydroxy acid) to unclog & diminish enlarged pores, exfoliate dead skin cells, smooth wrinkles & brighten & even out skin tone. Combats redness, wrinkles, aging, enlarged pores, & blackheads. PACKAGING MAY VARY.
- Dramatically improves skin’s texture for radiant youthful even-toned skin. Beta hydroxy acid (BHA also known as salicylic acid) mimics the natural exfoliation process of younger skin by helping it shed extra layers while unclogging and clearing pores.
- HYDRATE, BRIGHTEN & SMOOTH FINE LINES: Our unique, non-abrasive, leave-on exfoliant is gentle enough for daily use on all skin types. Exfoliates dead skin cells while clearing pores for a more even tone, plus it visibly reduces fine lines & wrinkles.
- Paula’s Choice facial exfoliants are gentler on delicate skin of the face & neck than an abrasive face scrub, which can cause micro-tears. A BHA leave-on exfoliator delivers hydration & can exfoliate directly inside the pore & improve how the pore works.
- Paula’s Choice Skincare makes products that work. No fragrance, no parabens, no fluff. Just effective, science-backed formulas that target any concern from wrinkles to breakouts.
Additional Info :
TruSkin Vitamin C Serum for Face, Anti Aging Serum with Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin E, Organic Aloe Vera and Jojoba Oil, Hydrating & Brightening Serum for Dark Spots, Fine Lines and Wrinkles, 1 fl oz
Price : $19.99
- ANTI AGING FACE SERUM – Vitamin C blends with Botanical Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin E, Witch Hazel, and Jojoba Oil in an anti aging, skin brightening formula designed to improve wrinkles and dark spots
- OUR CUSTOMERS KNOW BEST – Don’t just take our word for it, see thousands of reviews from real Amazon customers rave about brighter, fresher looking skin
- PLANT-BASED FORMULATION – No added synthetic colors, fragrances, parabens, phthalates, sulfates, PEGs, or GMOs. Our active botanicals combine in a silky smooth anti-aging serum that can be used day or night.
- CERTIFIED CRUELTY FREE by Leaping Bunny, our Vitamin C facial serum is also formulated, manufactured and bottled in the USA for guaranteed freshness
- EXTENDED MANUFACTURER GUARANTEE – Love it or your money back! If for any reason you decide this product isn’t a good fit for your skin, we offer a 90-day money-back refund. The expiration date is printed on the barcode sticker attached to the packaging.
Additional Info :
ANGRY ORANGE Pet Odor Eliminator for Strong Odor – Citrus Deodorizer for Strong Dog Urine or Cat Pee Smells on Carpet, Furniture & Indoor Outdoor Floors – 24 Fluid Ounces – Puppy Supplies
Price : $19.97 ($19.97 / Count)
- Powerful – A little goes a long way with the Angry Orange pet odor eliminator for home use. It’s a carpet deodorizer that targets strong, lingering smells at the source and destroys them.
- Citrus Scent – Derived from fresh orange peels, our carpet cleaner for pets smells like heaven and works like hell on stubborn odors.
- Ready to Use – This bottle of urine odor eliminator can be used directly on cat pee or dog waste. No mixing required!
- Convenient – For best results, remove pets from area, clean excess mess, shake well & spray, let dry completely. Do not apply product directly to your pet or use in a diffuser. Cats & Birds may be sensitive to concentrated levels of certain ingredients.
- Multipurpose – This pet carpet cleaner can also be used to eliminate odors from tile, couch upholstery, garbage cans, car interiors, and more.
Additional Info :
Catchmaster 72MAX Pest Trap, 36Count, White
Price : $14.49 ($0.40 / Count)
- Glue, Peanutbutter scent
- Mouse glue boards come with Catchmaster signature high quality
- Boards can lay flat
Additional Info :
Bed bugs are a huge problem. If you’ve had them in your home, you know the smell is so bad that it can make you sick. But don’t worry, there are products that can help you get rid of the smell and keep bed bugs from coming back.
If you’re trying to get rid of bed bugs, look for products that contain pyrethrins or pyrethroids. These chemicals will kill off any remaining bed bugs and prevent them from coming back. Use these products in all areas where they may have been hiding out: under mattresses, in dressers and closets, etc.
When using these products, be sure not to oversaturate your room with them, you want to use enough to kill the pests but not so much that it becomes toxic for yourself and your family members.
After using the product on your mattress and other areas where bed bugs may be hiding out, vacuum up any dead insects or eggs and dispose of them as soon as possible.