The bed bug is a small wingless insect that feeds on human blood. Bed bugs are nocturnal and hide in cracks and crevices during the day. They feed primarily on the blood of people, but can also live on animals and birds.
Bed bugs are not known to spread disease to humans. However, their bites often cause itching and irritation for some time after being bitten. In addition, some people may experience an allergic reaction to the saliva of the bed bug that causes a rash or hives at the bite site.
Bed bug bites can come in a variety of shapes and sizes. They can be red and inflamed, or they can be flat and nearly invisible. They might be small or large, round or oval, raised or flat.
- Antihistamine can help with itching and swelling
- Antihistamines do not cure bed bug bites; they simply reduce the discomfort.
- Make sure that you are using an approved antihistamine. Over-the-counter pills contain ingredients that may cause drowsiness or side effects in some people. If you have a history of allergies, talk to your doctor before taking any medications as a precautionary measure.
How Long Do Bed Bug Bites Stay Swollen?
The time it takes for bed bug bites to disappear depends on a few factors. For example, if you have a bad reaction to the bite or are allergic, the symptoms can last longer than 14 days. If you’re bitten by an infected bed bug and develop an infection in your skin, the bites may take even longer to heal.
Bed bugs must be alive in order for their saliva to cause a reaction on human skin. The process of digesting blood causes histamine release which is responsible for swelling and redness around the bite marks.
Do Bed Bugs Bite Every Night?
If you’ve been bitten by a bed bug, it’s important to know that the bugs can bite several times in a night to become full but only feed about once every one or two weeks. People that have only small numbers of bugs in their homes may not experience new bites every night.
What Smell Keeps Bed Bugs Away?
When it comes to smells, the less synthetic and more natural the scent, the better. Some essential oils are known for repelling bed bugs: lavender, lemon, peppermint, and eucalyptus are just a few examples. If you’re spraying your luggage or clothing with an insecticide or bed bug spray before traveling (to ensure that any hitchhiking pests don’t get into your home), consider adding one of these scents for extra protection against those unwanted visitors.
If you’re trying to be proactive about preventing bites while traveling on an airplane or in hotel rooms (bed bugs can live up to eight months without feeding), use a scent that you like. Lavender is well-known as a bug deterrent, the flower itself has been used historically in gardens as an insect repellent, as well as peppermint and eucalyptus oils. It’s important not only to choose scents that won’t make you feel ill but also scents that work.
The bottom line is that there are many places where bed bugs can hide and bite you. If you’re planning on staying in a hotel or motel, check out their reviews online before booking your stay. Also, don’t bring any items with crevices or cracks into the room because they may be hiding inside them. You should also keep clean sheets on your bed at all times so if one bites them then it won’t spread onto other parts of your body as easily since there’s nothing for them to feed off of.”
If you’re suffering from bed bug bites, we suggest the following treatments:
- Calamine lotion, an anti-itch cream that comes in a liquid, or an ointment/cream can be applied to relieve itching.
- A cool compress with 1% of Hydrocortisone cream can be applied to the bite to alleviate itching, swelling, and pain. This should be done for about 10 minutes at a time every 3 to 4 hours.
- Try an anti-itch cream containing benzocaine or menthol such as Lanacane or Caladryl.
- Use a topical steroid such as hydrocortisone for several days.
Alternatively, you may take an oral antihistamine, such as Benadryl or Chlor-Trimeton (for children), or use a topical anesthetic like benzocaine to control itching until your symptoms go away.
Hydrocortisone creams are available over the counter and can be used to reduce inflammation and itching. However, they are not recommended for children under two years of age. If you go this route, be sure to follow the directions on the packaging.
Antihistamines work by blocking the histamine that your body makes when you have an allergic reaction. They come in both over-the-counter and prescription varieties, typically in pill or liquid form. Some are available as nasal sprays for conditions like allergies, or even topical creams for conditions like insect bites.
Common examples of antihistamines include:
- Benadryl (diphenhydramine)
- Claritin (loratadine)
- Allegra (fexofenadine)
- Zyrtec (cetirizine)
How to Get Rid of Bed Bug Bites Overnight
If you prefer an over-the-counter medication to relieve itching, there are several other options. Antihistamines like Benadryl and Allegra can help reduce the symptoms of an allergic reaction to bedbug bites.
Antihistamines are used to treat allergies and cold symptoms or prevent motion sickness. They work by blocking the effects of histamine, a chemical that the body releases when it’s exposed to allergens. Histamine is responsible for much of the swelling, redness, and irritation around the bite area.
Take antihistamines only as directed on the label or by your doctor or pharmacist. The medications come in pill form, liquid form, chewable tablets, and gels that you put on your skin (topical antihistamines). Some are even available without a doctor’s prescription.
List of Bed Bug Bites and Anti-Itch Gel Products
Bed bugs are pests that feed on human blood during the night. They leave itchy bites and can cause an allergic reaction. To prevent bed bug bites, use a bed bug spray or wash your sheets at least once a week. If you think you’ve been bitten by a bed bug, use an anti-itch cream or lotion to relieve the itching and swelling.
Benadryl Extra Strength Anti-Itch Gel, 2 Percentage Diphenhydramine HCI Topical Analgesic & Histamine Blocker for Relief of Outdoor Itches Associated with Poison Ivy, Insect Bites & More, 3.5 fl. oz
Price : $4.89 ($1.40 / Fl Oz)
- 3.5-ounce tube of Benadryl Extra-Strength Cooling Itch Stopping Anti-Itch Gel for fast cooling relief from skin pain and itching from most outdoor itches
- Provides relief from most outdoor itches associated with insect bites, sunburn, scrapes, minor skin irritations, burns, and minor cuts
- The soothing anti-itch gel also provides relief from itching associated with rashes caused by poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac
- The cooling gel formula contains 2% of the topical analgesic pain reliever diphenhydramine hydrochloride that works by blocking histamines to relieve itches associated with several ailments
- Intended for use by those ages 2 and up, soothing gel offers itch relief for kids and adults alike and is great to keep on hand during outdoor activities such as camping, hiking or taking a walk with the family
Additional Info :
Bug Bite Thing Suction Tool, Poison Remover – Bug Bites and Bee/Wasp Stings, Natural Insect Bite Relief, Chemical Free – White/Single
Price : $9.99
- Removes insect venom, saliva, and other irritants left under the skin using suction
- By removing the irritant, the body stops producing the reaction that is causing you to itch & swell
- Works on: mosquitoes, bees, wasps, biting flies, no-see-ums, chiggers, sea lice & more
- Compact, lightweight, reusable, and easy to carry
- Clinically Proven, kid-friendly, 100% guarantee
Additional Info :
Amazon Basic Care Allergy Relief Diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg, Antihistamine Tablets for Symptoms Due to Hay Fever and Upper Respiratory Allergies, 400 Count
Price : $7.78 ($0.02 / Count)
- ACTIVE INGREDIENT: Amazon Basic Care Allergy Relief tablets contain diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg, an antihistamine, which compares to the active ingredient in Benadryl Allergy Tablets
- MULTI-SYMPTOM RELIEF: One dose provides temporary allergy relief of runny nose, sneezing, itching of the nose or throat, and itchy, watery eyes; also temporarily relieves runny nose and sneezing due to the common cold
- ANTIHISTAMINE: Each 25 mg pill packs a powerful dose of allergy-fighting medicine
- MINI-TABS are easy to swallow; these small tablets offer a big relief
- NIGHTTIME ALLERGY RELIEF: Amazon Basic Care Complete Allergy Medicine calms your sneezing so you can rest
Additional Info :
GoodSense Allergy Relief Loratadine Tablets 10 mg, Antihistamine, Allergy Medicine for 24 Hour Allergy Relief, 365 Count
Price : $12.99 ($0.04 / Count)
- ACTIVE INGREDIENT: The active ingredient is Loratadine 10 mg, an antihistamine; compare to the active ingredient in Claritin
- 26 HOUR ALLERGY RELIEF: One dose of GoodSense Loratadine Tablets 10 mg works for a full 24 hours to relieve your tough allergy symptoms
- ORIGINAL PRESCRIPTION STRENGTH: Get strong symptom relief without the sleepiness, when taken as directed; this trusted allergy medicine comes in full prescription strength
- ANTIHISTAMINE: This histamine blocker temporarily relieves symptoms due to hay fever or other upper respiratory allergies: sneezing, runny nose, itching of the nose or throat and itchy, watery eyes
- NON-DROWSY: When taken as directed, this allergy medicine will help your runny nose and other common allergy symptoms without making you feel drowsy
Additional Info :
Zax’s Original #1 Bug Bite & Anti-Itch Cream – Effective & Soothing Rapid Relief – Pharmacist Developed – Natural Ingredients – 28 Grams
Price : $16.99 ($17.20 / Ounce)
- FAST RELIEF FROM ITCHY BUG BITES: Whether it’s a nasty mosquito or bed bug bite, the itch and painful swelling will be gone quick with Zax’s Original Bug Bite and Anti Itch Cream.
- SOOTHING RASH RELIEF CREAM: Irritated dry skin, rashes, eczema, poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac got you scratching? Zax’s Original Anti-Itch Cream offers soothing relief.
- GET BACK TO THE GREAT OUTDOORS: Are you missing all your favorite outdoor activities; hunting, fishing, camping and hiking? Get back out there knowing Zax’s Original Bug Bite Cream has you covered
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Colloidal oatmeal Tea Tree Oil, Witch Hazel, Menthol helps relieve skin rash, itching and swelling
- ITCH RELIEF OR YOUR MONEY BACK: Apply 3x a day. If you don’t like it or aren’t experiencing the results you expected…we’ll give you a no-questions-asked refund. We stand behind all our products and know that you’ll love it.
Additional Info :
Bed bugs are a fact of life, but that doesn’t mean you have to suffer through their bites. You can take steps to avoid getting bitten in the first place, but if you do get bitten, there’s no reason to suffer in silence.
Antihistamines have been shown to relieve the itching caused by bed bug bites. They’re safe for use by children and adults alike and come in a variety of forms including tablets, creams, and nasal sprays. Antihistamines work by preventing allergic reactions which result in less swelling and itching around the bite area. They also help reduce any swelling that may have already occurred as a result of the bite itself.
While antihistamines aren’t an immediate fix for bed bug bites, they can provide relief from the itching so you can get back to enjoying your day without having to worry about constant scratching or irritation from your bites.