Horsefly repellents are designed to prevent horseflies from coming near your yard or property. They work by releasing chemicals into the air that repel the flies from coming close to where you are sitting or working. This way, when you go outside for some fresh air or for some gardening; the flies won’t bother or bite you anymore. If there are too many flies around where we live; then it becomes really difficult for us to enjoy our time outside because their bites hurt a lot.
Horsefly Repellent is a natural product that repels flies and other insects from your horse. It protects against horsefly, stable fly, and deerfly bites.
It is made from essential oils extracted from plants such as citronella, lemongrass, and geranium. Horsefly Repellent doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals or toxins, so it’s safe for your horse to ingest. This makes it perfect for use on horses that are pregnant or nursing – their foals are protected from insect bites too.
Horsefly Repellent can be used directly on your horse or mixed with water and sprayed on them. The product has no color or smell, so it won’t stain your tack or leave behind residue after application.
Is There a Natural Repellent for Horseflies?
Horseflies can be a major problem for horses and their owners. While there’s no natural repellent that will completely get rid of horseflies, there are essential oils that can help keep them away.
Many essential oils repel horse flies and are safe to spray on your horse, such as lavender, lemon, citronella, sage, bergamot, cedarwood, lemon eucalyptus, lemongrass, peppermint, geranium, sweet orange, and rosemary. Some of these are also effective against ticks and mosquitoes.
Spray your horse with one or two of these essential oils twice a day during times when you know there will be lots of flies around, for example, if you’re going out for a ride or if it’s hot outside, and it should help keep them at bay.
What Smell Deters Horse Flies?
If you’re having a backyard barbecue or other outdoor gathering, you can help stop horse flies from attacking your guests by burning citronella candles and lighting torches. The smoke and scent released from the citronella oil can help keep horse flies away.
Horse flies are notorious for their relentless pursuit of humans, especially during summer months when they are out in full force. They are particularly attracted to people who have been working outdoors, such as farmers and landscapers, as well as anyone else who has been sweating a lot in the heat. They are also attracted to animals such as cows, horses, and pigs because they produce a lot of body heat due to their large size.
What Will Keep Horse Flies Away?
Repellents containing DEET, citronella, or geraniol are effective against horse flies. Using a repellent along with wearing long sleeves and long pants is the most effective way to prevent horsefly bites when you spend time outside.
Horse flies are large, fast-flying insects that can range in size from two inches to seven inches. They live in forests and wetlands, but they also inhabit urban areas in search of food sources. They bite people and animals, especially around their heads and necks.
Horse flies have large eyes and excellent vision, they can see you from up to 100 feet away. They are most active during the summer months when their larvae hatch from eggs laid by adult females. Horsefly larvae may also bite humans as well as other animals; however, horsefly larvae do not bite humans as often as adults do.
Horse flies inject saliva into the skin when they bite; this saliva contains an anticoagulant that keeps blood from clotting around the wound site so they can continue to feed on it for longer periods of time without being dislodged by the host’s defensive behavior (e.g., swatting). Horse flies tend to feed on larger animals than mosquitoes because their bites cause more damage over.
Repel Insect Repellent Sportsmen Max Formula
DEET is the active ingredient, and it’s the most effective at repelling horseflies. The active ingredient in Repel Insect Repellent Sportsmen Max Formula is DEET. It’s available in concentrations ranging from 10% to 100%. This product contains 25% DEET, which is effective against horseflies and other insects.
This product also contains soybean oil and soybean lecithin as emulsifiers, substances that help keep the ingredients blended together so they don’t separate or clump while they’re sitting on shelves waiting for someone to buy them (think of how oil and vinegar always separate). The emulsifiers give this spray a non-greasy feel when you put it on your skin.
Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Natural Insect Repellent
This repellent is made from natural ingredients, so it’s safe for people and pets. It’s also safe to use on the skin, so you don’t have to worry about getting it in your eyes or mouth. It works for up to six hours after application, which is longer than most other products on our list.
Sawyer Products 20% Picaridin Insect Repellent
Sawyer Products 20% Picaridin Insect Repellent is a Personal Insect Repellent that comes in a 2oz spray bottle. This means that Sawyer Products has created a formula with the right amount of active ingredients (20%) to be effective, but not too strong to cause skin irritation.
This product comes in two versions: one for adults and one for children. The child’s version is specifically made for children over the age of 3 months and under the age of 12 years old.
How to use it?
Apply Sawyer Products 20% Picaridin Insect Repellent as needed when outdoors or when in areas where insect bites are likely to occur like campsites and backyards with tall grasses or bushes where horseflies may be present. Do not apply this product on children who are under 3 months old or weigh less than 11 pounds, unless advised by your doctor.
Cutter Skinsations Insect Repellent
This DEET-free insect repellent is made from soybean oil and is effective against mosquitoes, ticks, black flies, chiggers, fleas, and biting flies. It’s safe for children and pets as well. This product does not contain any petroleum distillates or animal byproducts such as lanolin or beeswax either.
The Cutter Skinsations Insect Repellent comes in a convenient spray bottle that makes application easy. It’s not greasy either so you can use it while playing sports or swimming without feeling uncomfortable.
Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus
Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus is a horsefly repellent with a thick consistency, which makes it easy to apply. The product smells good, and it’s also affordable.
Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus may not be the most effective horsefly repellent on the market. Still, it’s worth considering if you’re looking for an alternative to DEET products or don’t want to spend extra money on expensive horsefly-repellent sprays.
Ben’s 100% DEET Mosquito, Tick, and Insect Repellent
Ben’s 100% DEET Mosquito, Tick, and Insect Repellent is a 4 oz. bottle that contains 100% DEET, making it one of the strongest products on the market. The repellent is water-based and can be applied directly to skin, hair, and clothing. It can also be sprayed on gear such as tents or sleeping bags before going into an area where bugs are present. The active ingredient in this product is N, N diethyl-m-toluamide (DEET), which has been used by the military for decades as it provides long-lasting protection against mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, and fleas.
Ben’s 100% DEET Mosquito, Tick, and Insect Repellent should not be used on children under 2 years old because they could have a reaction to its powerful ingredients (although some parents will use it anyway).
List of Horsefly Repellent
Horseflies are large flies that feed on the blood of horses. They have a nasty bite and can cause significant pain to a horse, especially if they are already injured or have open wounds. Here are some of the best horsefly repellents on the market today:
Fly Trap Outdoor Hanging Fly Catcher. 4 Pack Disposable Outdoor Fly Bags with Fly Bait Repellent and Blue Fly Attractant Lure. Fly Trapper Helps Control Horse Flies in Barns or Ranch
- EASY TO USE: Our outdoor fly traps are easy to set up. Simply twist open the top of the trap, fill the bag with water and hang. Once you are ready to dispose simply twist the top close and throw it away in the trash.
- ATTRACT FLIES IN 2 WAYS – SIGHT & SMELL: Our fly bags attract flies using both color and smell. It is scientifically proven that flies are attracted to the color blue which is why we chose that color for our bags. Our bait ingredients also attract flies by scent once the enzymes are activated. This 2 pronged approach ensures our traps serve as fly magnets.
- INCLUDES 4 DISPOSABLE TRAPS AND TIES: Each flytrap is 8.5 x 8.5 inches and comes with 100g of lure. We also have ties to make it easy to hang around branches or fences. Catch hundreds of flies within a few days.
- FOR OUTDOOR USE ONLY: These traps are best used for outdoor spaces or in a well-vented area including yards, chicken coops, horse stables, barns, ranches, or a farm. Keep traps at least 20 feet away from living areas.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: LOVE IT OR YOUR MONEY BACK. We are so confident that you will love our disposable fly traps. If at any point you decide you are not completely satisfied, just drop us an email and we will refund 100% of the money. Our customer service team is here to help.
Additional Info :
Nantucket Spider Natural Bug Repellent – 8 fl oz | Essential Oil Insect Repellent | Bug Spray for Protection Against Flies, Mosquitoes, Horse Flies, Ticks, and Bugs | Perfect Bug Spray for Adults & Kids
Price: $15.99 ($2.00 / Fl Oz)
- HIGH-QUALITY BUG REPELLANT: Nantucket Spider’s DEET-free insect repellent spray is formulated with a range of organic, high-quality ingredients to provide protection against all types of biting insects. Unlike most other repellents, our long-lasting formula is water-based, which will not damage your clothing or leave your skin feeling sticky or greasy.
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Our natural mosquito repellent spray is made with a carefully selected blend of organic essential oils, including rosemary, geranium, cedarwood, peppermint, spearmint, lemongrass, clove, and citronella. The perfect bug repellent for camping, beach outings, Little League games, or any other outdoor excursion.
- EASY APPLICATION: Nantucket Spider’s signature lockable fine-mist trigger sprayer is specially designed to prevent leaks and maximize insect-repellent spray coverage. Shake well before using and press the unlock button on the nozzle to apply.
- PLEASANT SCENT: Repel bugs, not people. Independently Lab-tested for 98-100% effectiveness against mosquitos, Nantucket Spider’s essential oil mosquito spray proves that a repellent doesn’t need to smell like chemicals to work. Our customers love the light, natural scent of our repel bug spray.
- EFFECTIVE PROTECTION: We use organic essential oils for bugs that are proven to work against mosquitos, and that also repel ticks and a variety of biting insects like black flies, horse flies, deer flies, and greenhead flies. Independent lab tests demonstrate 98-100% repellent effectiveness against mosquitos. Protect your skin with DEET-free essential bug repellent during all your outdoor activities.
Additional Info :
Price: $19.99 ($0.62 / Fl Oz)
- Plant-Based Active Ingredients – Repels mosquitoes, Gnats, flies, and no-see-ums with plant oils including geraniol, soybean, rosemary, geranium, and Lemongrass
- For Horses & Humans – Unique blend contains plant-based active ingredients without the use of harsh chemicals or pesticides.
- Effective Insect Repellent & Horse Fly Spray – Repels a number of biting insects including flies, gnats, mosquitoes & no-see-ums.
- Long Lasting, Non-Greasy & Pleasant Scent – Plant oils give off a mild Lemongrass scent, making this spray more pleasant than many other insect repellents while providing long-lasting protection
Additional Info :
- Kit includes: (2) Bug Balls made from heavy-duty weather-resistant black PVC, (1) an 8-ounce brush can of Catch EM’, and (2) an Inflation needle
- It takes 2-3 Bug Balls to effectively cover 1 acre and eliminates yellow flies, horse flies, deer flies, greenhead flies, and more biting insects
- Bug Ball is designed to work with Catch EM’s sticky coating (included). Catch EM’ is an odorless eco-friendly bug killer with NO pesticides or electricity needed to trap those irritating biting insects. Safe to use around children and pets
- Bug Ball works great in greenhouses, pool areas, backyards, gardens, animal stables or shelters, orchards, barns, cabins, and many more places
- Every Bug Ball has a loop molded onto the top that enables it to be hung from a tree or pole with a rope or a shepherd’s hook. It is most effective to have the ball approximately 4-5 ft off the ground.
Additional Info :
Mighty Mint – 16oz Insect and Pest Control Peppermint Oil – Natural Spray for Spiders, Ants, and More – Non Toxic
- Extra Concentrated for Long-Lasting Protection
- Natural Ingredients Proven Effective in the Real World
- Large 16oz Bottle
- Powerful Essential Oil
Additional Info :
Horsefly repellent is a great way to keep those pesky insects away from you and your horse. The best part? It’s safe for your horse and won’t hurt them if they eat it.
Horsefly repellent works by emitting a scent that horses don’t like and that horses can’t smell, but mosquitoes and other biting insects can. This keeps them from biting your horse or you, so you can enjoy spending time with your horse without having to worry about being bitten.
In addition to being safe for horses, horsefly repellent is also environmentally friendly because it doesn’t contain any chemicals that could harm the environment or wildlife. It’s made with all-natural ingredients, so it’s safe for both humans and animals alike.