Fleas are an unpleasant annoyance for pet owners. They can cause your cat to groom excessively, which can lead to an overgrowth of fleas in the home. If you’re not careful, fleas can also spread to your entire family and infest the entire house. Fortunately, there are several ways you can treat your cat for fleas without using pesticides or harsh chemicals that can be harmful to your cat.
One of the most effective methods of treating your cat for fleas is using diatomaceous earth, also known as DE. DE is a natural powder that works by dehydrating insects and killing them within 24 hours of contact with it. It is safe for use around human beings and pets, but it should not be used on cats without first consulting with your veterinarian about its possible side effects on cats.
Fleas are annoying and can cause a lot of problems for your cat. Not only is it uncomfortable for them, but it also makes their fur look dull and dirty. Luckily, there are many ways to get rid of fleas on cats. One of the most effective ways is with diatomaceous earth. This natural substance is made from fossilized algae and can help kill fleas in your house. It’s safe for pets, birds, and children as well; however, if you’re allergic to it then be sure to seek medical attention immediately.
Fleas are attracted to moisture and will stick close to your cat’s skin where they feed on blood from their host. If you are looking for a way to get rid of fleas from your cat, diatomaceous earth is an effective natural treatment that will kill fleas and prevent future infestations.
What Is Diatomaceous Earth for Fleas?
Diatomaceous Earth, also known as diatomite or diatomaceous earth, is a naturally occurring mineral made up of fossilized remains of single-celled algae. Diatomaceous earth comes in a variety of colors and sizes. It is commonly used in products for flea control because it kills fleas by dehydrating them.
Although there are many different types of diatomaceous earth available, the type used to treat fleas on cats is called bentonite. Bentonite is also known as brown powder or fly ash. Bentonite is very fine and powdery in nature and has a lot of surface area so it can be inhaled into the lungs easily by cats who have allergic reactions to it. It can cause irritation to the skin and eyes if it gets into these areas which could lead to more serious health problems later down the road if left untreated when exposure occurs repeatedly over time due to repeated exposure during grooming sessions with flea bites appearing once again on your pet’s body as well
How Do I Give My Cat Diatomaceous Earth?
There are several methods to give your cat diatomaceous earth. It is easy to give your cat diatomaceous earth. You can mix it with a food that your cat likes, or you can put a tablespoon of diatomaceous earth in the bottom of a small food bowl. I would recommend doing this at least once every day or two so that your cat gets used to the taste of diatomaceous earth so that it doesn’t reject it as food. If you do this, be sure not to leave any residue on the bottom of the bowl or on any surfaces around it where your cat may have licked at them later on down the line
It’s easy to give your cat diatomaceous earth: just sprinkle it on the animal’s fur. The powder should be kept out of reach of children and pets who may ingest it accidentally.
How Long Does It Take for Diatomaceous Earth to Kill Fleas on Cats?
It depends on the size of your cat and the number of fleas it has. If you have a kitten, it may take several weeks for your cat to get rid of its fleas completely. If you have a mature cat, it may take several months for your cat to get rid of its fleas completely.
It will take several days for diatomaceous earth to kill fleas on cats. The cat’s body will eliminate the poison from its system and expel the dead fleas in their feces.
Diatomaceous earth does not harm cats, but it can irritate their skin if it is applied directly to their bodies.
How Much Diatomaceous Earth Is Safe for Cats?
The amount of diatomaceous earth that is safe for cats to ingest depends on the size of the cat, the amount of diatomaceous earth ingested, and how quickly it is removed from the body.
For example, if a cat eats one teaspoon of diatomaceous earth and vomits it up within an hour, then it would only need to wait 24 hours before having its ears cleaned again. However, if a cat eats two teaspoons of diatomaceous earth over a 24-hour period, then it will need to wait 48 hours before having its ears cleaned again.
However, the amount of diatomaceous earth that you can safely use on your cat depends on a number of factors:
- -The age of your cat
- -The weight of your cat
- -Whether or not you have pets in the home who might also be using diatomaceous earth
- -Your geographic location, as some areas are more prone to having higher levels of naturally occurring DE than others
List of Diatomaceous Earth Product For Fleas
It is available in a wide range of forms: powder, tablet, liquid and granular. The following product are effective for fleas on cat:
Price : $12.96
- Natural Product – Composed of 4lbs of 100% ground freshwater diatomaceous earth with absolutely no additives or fillers.
- OMRI Listed – Listed with the Organic Minerals Research Institute, a non-profit organization that reviews products against organic standards.
- Powder Duster Included – Powder duster in the bag for easy and efficient application of diatomaceous earth on animal feed
- Supports a Great Cause – Harris donates 10% of profits to support the local Etowah Valley Humane Society.
- Made in the USA – Mined in Nevada and packaged in Georgia
Additional Info :
Safer Brand 51703 OMRI Listed Diatomaceous Earth – Ant, Roach, Bedbug, Flea, Silverfish, Earwig, & Crawling Insect Killer
Price : $9.47 ($0.14 / Ounce)
- Say Goodbye to Bugs – Kills a variety crawling insects including roaches, ants, fleas, silverfish, earwigs, bedbugs, and more
- Attracts and Kills – Made from diatomaceous earth and selected baits, this powder causes insects to dehydrate and die within 48 hours after contact
- Mechanical Killer – Unlike many traditional chemical insecticides, insects cannot build an immunity to diatomaceous earth
- Use Where Insects Hide – DE can be used indoors or outdoors. Apply in cracks and crevices, along baseboards, or create a barrier around entry points
- Peace of Mind – This powder is OMRI Listed and compliant for use in organic gardening so you can use it without worry
Additional Info :
Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Home Spray | Flea Treatment for Dogs and Home | Plant-Based Formula | 32 Ounces
Price : $10.49
- GENTLE PROTECTION: Vet’s Best Flea & Tick Home Spray uses certified natural ingredients to kill fleas, flea eggs, and ticks on contact.
- PROVEN EFFECTIVE: Whether facing an active infestation or are applying for routine prevention, our spray is scientifically proven effective against pests but gentle enough to use around the whole family.
- CERTIFIED NATURAL OILS: Each steam-distilled essential oil is selected for its potent pest-fighting properties and is 100% Certified Natural.
- TOTAL HOME DEFENSE: Applies easily on surfaces, indoors and out, including dog bedding, crates, furniture, blankets, upholstery, carpets, outdoor surfaces, and more. Also gentle enough to be applied directly on dogs and puppies 12 weeks or older.
- MADE IN THE USA: Our products are proudly manufactured in the USA with quality domestic and internationally sourced ingredients.
Additional Info :
- 6-month supply of advantage II topical large cat flea prevention
- Easy-to-apply and pre-measured flea treatment application tubes, fragrance-free and waterproof after 24 hours
- Advantage II large cat flea prevention kills fleas through contact, meaning fleas don’t have to bite your cat in order to die.Avoid contact with eyes or clothing
- Starts working within 12 hours and protects your cat for up to 30 days. Kills fleas in multiple life stages; Eggs, larvae and adults to break the flea life cycle
- Vet recommended, fragrance free and designed specifically to treat and prevent fleas on cats
Additional Info :
|Color||Blacks & Grays|
ANGRY ORANGE Pet Odor Eliminator for Home – Citrus Deodorizer for Strong Dog Urine or Cat Pee Smells on Carpet, Litter Box, Furniture & Indoor Outdoor Floors – 24 Fluid Ounces – Puppy Supplies
Price : $19.97 ($19.97 / Count)
- ELIMINATES ODORS: Use directly on cat pee or dog poop. The pet urine odor eliminator for your home defeats some of the worst odors and leaves the sweet smell of fresh oranges behind. A miracle that works for getting rid of nasty smells when housebreaking a new doggie.
- MULTIPLE USES: Tired of overpowering animal smells? Our dog and cat odor eliminator combats the bad kitty stench left in the litter box, dog urine in the yard, on kennel surfaces, or anywhere else the stink of pet waste is a problem.
- INCREDIBLY STRONG: Created to eliminate the toughest smells, this cat and dog odor eliminator for home can even defeat outdoor or indoor stenches filling barns, stables or other animal shelters. Note: Do not use in diffusers or directly on pets.
- COUNTLESS SURFACES: Ready to use. No mixing required. These pet supplies for dogs and cats work their magic on carpet, wood floors, concrete, tile, couch upholstery, mattress bedding, pillows, car interiors, garbage cans, driveways, and lawn grass.
- A NATURAL SMELL ELIMINATOR: Made with natural orange oil, the Angry Orange odor eliminator is a safe, friendly and citrus-smelling alternative to other carpet odor eliminators. Note: Cats & Birds may be sensitive to concentrated levels of certain ingredients.
Diatomaceous Earth is a natural and effective way to treat fleas on cats. It is a good alternative to chemical pesticides that can be harmful for pets or people. The best part is that diatomaceous earth can be used as a preventative measure, so you will never have to deal with the problem of fleas again.
In conclusion, by using these tips and tricks with your cat care routine you can keep them healthy and happy.