Fire ants and red ants are two types of ant, but they are not the same. Fire ants are red ants that occur in the United States, while red ants can be found in other countries. Fire ants prefer to live in warmer areas, while red ants tend to live in colder climates.
Fire ants are black or dark brown and have a shiny appearance. They have large bodies with many legs on their body that help them walk and move around easily. Their bodies have bumps or ridges along their backs that give them strength when they climb up things to get food from trees or plants. They also have wings at the end of their abdomen called tibiae, which help them fly from one place to another when they need to get food from another location.
Red ants are smaller than fire ants and are usually light brown or reddish-brown in color when seen from a distance because of their small size. They have an average length of about 5 millimeters (0.2 inches), although some species can reach sizes of up to 10 millimeters (0.4 inches). These ants do not have wings like fire.
These two types of ants have some differences between them. The first difference is that fire ants live in colonies, while red ants do not. Another difference between these types of ants is that fire ants have a stinger on their heads, while red ants do not have stings at all.
Fire ant colonies contain millions of insects, which causes them to be very large for their size compared to other types of insects. Red ant colonies only contain about a hundred or so insects per colony, which makes them much smaller than fire ant colonies.
Are Fire and and Red Ant Aggressive?
Fire ants and red ants are not aggressive to one another. However, they can be aggressive toward other animals and humans. The fire ant and red ant are sometimes mistaken for one another, but they are not the same species. Fire ants prefer to live in large colonies with high population densities, but the red ant does not live in colonies.
Fire ants tend to be less aggressive than red imported fire ants and will only sting when provoked or if they feel threatened by a threat such as humans or other animals walking too close to them without first being warned off with an alert gesture such as waving your hand in front of them.
Fire ants are typically aggressive when there are other fire ant colonies nearby or if the colony has been weakened by natural factors such as drought or disease. Red ants tend to be more territorial than fire ants, but they will still attack other colonies if they feel threatened by them or if there are too many red ants in an area.
Both species have been known to attack people and pets if they feel threatened by these species. Fire ants can be aggressive towards other ants as well as humans. However, they are not aggressive towards other insects like bees or wasps because they don’t really care about such small insects.
How Long Does Red Ant and Fire Ant Bite Last?
The bite of red ant and fire ant lasts for 2-4 hours. The duration of the bite depends on the type of ant and how badly it has been stung.
Red ants are more likely to sting than fire ants, but both types can cause a painful reaction. Fire ants have a stronger sting and can cause more severe reactions than red ants do. The pain is usually described as a burning sensation that spreads throughout the body and may last for several hours.
Red ant and fire ant bites last around 4 and 6 hours, respectively. The duration of the pain associated with both types of bites is similar, but red ants’ venom is more powerful than fire ants’.
How Do I Treat Red Ant and Fire Ant Bite?
Red ant bites are painful, but they’re not usually serious. You can treat your red ant bite at home with a few simple steps:
1. Remove the ant from your body as soon as possible. Ants that bite can transmit diseases, so be sure to get them off of you as quickly as possible.
2. Wash the area with soap and water, and apply an antibiotic ointment if you have an infection.
3. If the bite is painful or swollen, apply ice packs or warm compresses for 20 minutes every hour for up to six hours.
4. If you experience any allergic reaction to the ant poison (like hives or swelling), see a doctor immediately.
Homemade Fire Ant and Red Ant Repellent
The key to creating a successful homemade fire ant or red ant repellent is to use a combination of ingredients that are both safe and effective. You should also avoid using any pesticides that may be harmful to humans or pets.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- -1 cup of Epsom salts
- -1 cup of dish soap (do not use dish soap that contains bleach or other chemicals)
- -4 cups of water
- -1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional)
- -1 tablespoon of citric acid (available at grocery stores).
Another homemade repellent is
- 1 cup borax
- 1 cup water
- 10 drops peppermint oil
- 5 drops eucalyptus oil
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir thoroughly until all ingredients are dissolved. Pour into a spray bottle and shake well before using on your lawn.
List of Fire Ants And Red Ants Product
The following are fire ants and red ants, along with the places to buy them:
Additional Info :
Mighty Mint – 16oz Insect and Pest Control Peppermint Oil – Natural Spray for Spiders, Ants, and More – Non Toxic
Price : $9.97
- Extra Concentrated for Long-Lasting Protection
- Natural Ingredients Proven Effective in the Real World
- Large 16oz Bottle
- Powerful Essential Oil
Additional Info :
Price : $4.28
- MOUND DESTROYER: Use outdoors directly on fire ant mounds – starts to kill in minutes.
- KILLS THE QUEEN AND COLONY: Kills the fire ant queen and colony in 24 hours – limits the formation of new mounds in treated areas.
- DEEP-REACHING FORMULA: Made with exclusive Accelerator II technology to speed the release of active ingredient into the mound.
- FOR BEST RESULTS: Apply in morning or evening hours when fire ants are closer to the surface.
Additional Info :
Price : $11.92
- Attracts & Kills – Kills common household ants including acrobat, crazy, ghost, little black, odorous house, pavement, and other sweet-eating ants
- Kills the Ants You See & the Ones You Don’t – As worker ants discover the bait, they share it with the rest of the colony to eliminate them all
- Works Fast – You should see a significant decrease in the number of ants visiting the bait stations within just a few days
- Ready to Use – Place the bait stations, watch it attract ants, and eliminate the entire colony
- Use Throughout Your Home – Place stations near areas where you’ve seen ant activity including along baseboards, in corners, on counters, and more
Additional Info :
Price : $14.99
- AWESOME FIT: Fits True to size, great fit and feel – Wash with cold water, inside out. Want to make dad look like a super star? This shirt has a great look and cool fit. This men’s funny t shirt fits great and is great for men, teenagers and kids. Nothing beats a t shirts for a gift. It’s All Fun And Games Until Someone Loses A Weiner. Makes A Great present for someone special.
- TOP QUALITY: Our Graphic Tees Professionally screen printed designed in USA by Feelin Good Tees. Nothing beats our selection of funny sarcastic tshirts. It will make great father’s day gifts, birthday present, friend gift, dad gifts, Christmas gift. This is a great mens t shirt. Everyone needs a little humor and sarcasm.
- GREAT FEEL: Our Shirts are 100% preshrunk cotton exceptions; AshGrey is 99/1cotton/poly; SportGrey is 90/10cotton/poly if available. Available in 2XL,3XL,4XL,5XL Tee will bring adult humor out. The sarcasm laughs will flow. Graphic tee makes gift for dad. Great gift idea for teenagers, boys and girls, dads, uncles and best friends.
- HAVE FUN: Get your humor on with this fun tee. The best funny tshirts. Sarcastic and novelty in one tee shirt. Birthday tshirt best cotton tee. Great ice breaker. Love the soft feel probably wear it day and night nothing beats tshirts you can sleep in. This cool and stylist t shirt is professional printed.
- MAKES GREAT GIFT: See all our funny tees! Graphic tee makes best gift idea. Christmas, Fathers Day, Mothers Day, gift friends, brother/sister. Welcome home gift. Long lasting tees wear to party movie and all year. Perfect for back to school or a Christmas gift. Gif them something they will wear all year long. Make sure its a Feeling Good Tees.
Additional Info :
Fire ants and red ants are both types of ants. There are many differences between them, but the two most obvious ones are size and color. Fire ants are larger than red ants and have a red body color. The other difference is that fire ants have wings while red ants do not.