We have all asked some version of this question at some point. Our own curiosity is piqued, but there is an underlying question in our minds. How long can we keep using bug repellent before it expires? Bug repellent expiration dates are important to know because if it expires, you might be using bug repellent that doesn’t work, or worse…you might be using bug repellent products that are dangerous to your health. Bug repellent comes into contact with many different elements. Therefore, keeping it away from heat and cold is as important as using the right amount of insecticide.
You may be surprised to learn that bug repellent expires. However, it’s important to remember that the quality of the product does not change over time. Whether you buy bug repellent at a store or online, you can rest assured that it will always be made with high-quality materials and will never expire. The only thing that changes is the way that the product works over time.
Bug repellent does not expire, but some brands do have a shelf life. Most bug repellents are made with natural ingredients, which means they don’t go bad as chemicals do. However, you’ll want to check the packaging of your particular bug repellent to see if there’s a shelf life listed on it. If there is, make sure you follow those instructions carefully: otherwise, you might end up with an expired product that doesn’t work as well as it should.
Do Insect Repellants Expire?
Insect repellants have a shelf life of around three years. If you’ve had yours for longer than that, it’s probably time to toss it in the trash bin. There is no one-size-fits-all answer here, but the general consensus is that bug sprays have a shelf life of around three years. At that point, you should probably throw them out – not because they will harm you, but because they might be less effective in repelling bugs.
How Do You Know When Insect Repellent Expires?
Insect repellent is a product that you should never take for granted. It can be the difference between a relaxing camping trip and an uncomfortable night spent swatting away bugs, and it’s important to know when your repellent has gone bad.
“If the product doesn’t smell as potent as it normally does, or if the product looks damaged, it’s possible that it’s expired,” says Nichole Powell, founder, and CEO of Kinfield, which creates all-natural products for the outdoors, including repellent.
How Long Should a Repellent Last?
There are a lot of factors that determine how long a repellent will last. The most important factor is the type of repellent you’re using. Spray versions protect for up to 12 hours against mosquitoes and ticks, and up to eight hours against flies; lotion formulations last for up to 14 hours against mosquitoes and ticks, and up to eight hours against flies. Because they’re the most effective repellents, people often ask which is better.
The answer depends on how long you’ll need your repellent to last. If you’re going on a hike or camping trip, for example, spray versions may be best because they typically last longer than lotions. But if you’re going out for dinner with friends or just want something small enough to keep in your purse on an everyday basis, then lotions might be more convenient.
List Of Bug Repellent
Bug Repellent is a great way to keep bugs away from your property. It works by making the area around your home or business less appealing for bugs, so they don’t want to be there. You can use Bug Repellent in your yard, on your front porch, in your garden, and anywhere else you want to keep bugs away from.
Thermacell Patio Shield Mosquito Repeller, Blue; Highly Effective Mosquito Repellent for Patio; No Candles or Flames, DEET-Free, Scent-Free, Bug Spray Alternative; Includes 12-Hour Refill
- EFFECTIVE MOSQUITO PROTECTION: Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Patio Shield creates a 15-foot zone of protection against mosquitoes. Use this sleek repeller on patios, decks, pools, and more. Turn It On… Mosquitoes Gone.
- HEAT-ACTIVATED TECHNOLOGY: No cords or batteries. Powered by a safe and compact 12-hour fuel cartridge. Emits scent-free repellent that drives away mosquitoes. Unscented repellent mats last up to 4 hours each and change color when the time to replace.
- EFFECTIVELY REPEL WITHOUT SPRAY OR SCENT: Repel mosquitoes without DEET sprays or lotions on your skin. No smoke, flames, or harsh odors like citronella. Enjoy max protection in 15 minutes.
- PLANT-INSPIRED REPELLENT FORMULA: Our synthetic allethrin formula is inspired by repellent extracts found in plants. Independently tested and EPA-reviewed for safety & effectiveness. People and pet friendly.
- THERMACELL GUARANTEE: Extend warranty to 2 years with registration (automatic 1-year warranty included). Backed by Thermacell Guarantee. See packaging for details. Includes repeller, 12-hour fuel cartridge, and three repellent mats.
Additional Info :
SALLYE ANDER No-Bite-Me Natural Bug & Insect Repellent & Anti Itch Cream – Safe for Kids and Infants – Repels Mosquitoes, Black Flies, Fleas, and Ticks – 2 oz
Price: $14.95 ($7.48 / Fl Oz)
- ALL IN ONE REPELLENT AND ANTI-ITCH: “No-Bite-Me” DOES IT ALL. Forgot to apply “No-Bite-Me” and got some bug bites? No problem: it’s an anti-itch cream too. Other creams make you choose between repelling bugs and treating uncomfortable bug bites, but “No-Bite-Me” prevents and repairs bug-bombed skin. Effective on black flies, mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks.
- KEEPS BUGS AWAY NATURALLY: Our proprietary blend of 16 essential oils, including cedar, mint, rosemary, and lemongrass, creates a strong minty and herbaceous scent that helps keep bugs at bay for up to 4 HOURS – while ensuring your sensitive skin is safe and healthy.
- SAFE FOR CHILDREN: “No-Bite-Me” is a completely safe, natural bug repellent. It’s easy to apply – just dot on exposed skin and blend in. No mess. No fuss. Deet free to protect even the smallest adventurers.
- FULL SIZE FOR BEST VALUE: Our 8oz tin of “No-Bite-Me” cream is amazing for the seasoned traveler. Throw a tin in your backpack, or keep it handy when camping. One tin provides plenty of relief for you and the whole family.
- SALLYE ANDER PROMISE: When you buy Sallye Ander products, you can rest assured knowing you are supporting a company committed to quality and the environment. All products are 100% handmade in the USA from organic locally sourced ingredients, and we’re completely cruelty-free
Additional Info :
Price : $9.99 ($1.00 / Count)
- DEET FREE, MADE WITH ESSENTIAL OILS – Our repellent bracelets are made with essential oils: Geraniol Oil, Lemongrass Oil and Citronella Oil. Essential oils have been found to repel mosquitoes.
- 10 RESEALABLE BAGS – Each mosquito repellent bracelet is individually wrapped in a resealable bag, keeping it fresh and increasing the life span.
- ONE SIZE FITS ALL – Cliganic repellent bracelets are fully adjustable, stretchy, and easily fit.
- PERFECT FOR OUTDOOR, WATERPROOF – Best for indoor, outdoor, and travel. Keep it together with your picnic backpack accessories. Enjoy the outdoors without worrying about pesky mosquito bites. This mosquito repellent band is waterproof.
- CLIGANIC 90 DAYS WARRANTY, RISK FREE – no hassles, no questions, if you are not completely satisfied – simply return the item for a full refund.
Additional Info :
Sawyer Products SP657 Premium Permethrin Insect Repellent for Clothing, Gear & Tents, Trigger Spray, 24-Ounce
Price : $16.95
- Add a layer of protection to your clothing and gear with Permethrin insect and tick repellent spray — perfect for use on shirts, jackets, pants, socks, shoes, boots, sleeping bags, tents, netting, when outdoors, camping, hunting, or on travel
- Ideal for backpacking, backyard BBQs, and other outdoor activities, it’s effective against more than 55 kinds of insects — from disease-spreading ticks (Lyme disease) and mosquitoes (West Nile and Zika viruses) to chiggers, spiders, mites, and more
- Permethrin spray bonds to fabric fibers for up to 6 weeks or through 6 washings (whichever comes first) and won’t stain or damage clothing, fabrics, plastics, finished surfaces, or outdoor gear; odorless after drying
- Reduce likelihood of a tick bite by 73.6 times by treating shoes and socks with Permethrin (University of Rhode Island study – 2017)
- 24-ounce trigger spray bottle treats five complete outfits (updated EPA dosage is 4.5 ounces per outfit consisting of shirt, pants, and socks); maximize protection by pairing with Sawyer Picaridin topical repellent for the skin
Additional Info :
Bug repellent can expire, but it’s not always the case. If you’ve stored your bug repellent properly and the container has not been damaged in any way, then you can continue using it until it expires. If you store your bug repellent in a place where it will be exposed to extreme temperatures or humidity, then this could make your bug repellent expire faster.
In order to determine whether or not your bug repellent has expired, look at its expiration date on the label. If it has passed this date, then throw out the bug spray and buy a new one. Bug repellents usually expire after two years from their manufacture date; however, some brands do have shelf lives that are longer than others. When determining how long your bug repellent will last before expiring, keep in mind how long you have been storing it as well as how often you use it on a regular basis, if you only use it once every few weeks or months then there’s less likelihood that it will expire before you need it again.