Mosquito bites can be a real pain. They itch, they’re itchy, and they happen when you least expect them. But what’s even worse than getting bitten by mosquitoes is getting bit by mosquitoes when you’re trying to enjoy an outdoor activity.
Luckily for us, there are many ways to repel mosquitoes naturally. One of the best ways is by using mouthwash as a mosquito repellent. Mouthwash is a great way to repel mosquitoes because it contains alcohol, which is known to repel mosquitoes.
Here’s how you can make your own homemade mosquito repellent with mouthwash:
• Add 1 cup of water to a spray bottle and add 8 drops of peppermint oil (or lavender oil if you prefer). Shake the bottle well and spray on exposed skin when outdoors (avoid spraying near eyes or other sensitive areas).
Is mouthwash a good mosquito repellent?
The active ingredients in mouthwash—anise, eucalyptus, peppermint, menthol, catechol—do not provide enough protection against mosquitoes to be considered a reliable repellent. A recent study by the University of Florida found that only one of these essential compounds (menthol) showed any evidence of repelling mosquitos at all. The rest had no effect on the number of bites experienced by test subjects.
The only way you can truly protect yourself from mosquito bites is by wearing long sleeved shirts, pants and socks when outdoors during peak mosquito season (April through September).
What is the best homemade mosquito repellent?
Mosquitoes are the worst, so it’s important to take precautions. There are a lot of homemade mosquito repellents out there, but which is the best?
The best one is easy to make and you probably already have everything you need: half a cup of distilled water, half a cup of witch hazel, rubbing alcohol, or vinegar, and 30 to 40 drops of essential oil of your choice.
Diffusing essential oils can help keep mosquitoes away from you and your family without having to use harsh chemicals that could irritate skin or eyes. Essential oils also smell great. You can also make your own natural bug spray using these ingredients for an all-natural way to keep bugs at bay this summer.
How do you make natural mosquito repellent for skin?
To make natural mosquito repellent for skin, mix 1 part oil of lemon eucalyptus or lavender essential oil with 10 parts witch hazel in the bottle.
Add enough witch hazel to fill the bottle and then add one part oil of lemon eucalyptus or lavender essential oil. Use this mixture on your exposed skin as needed to repel mosquitoes.
What smell do mosquitoes hate?
What smell do mosquitoes hate? That’s right—it’s you.
It turns out that mosquitoes, like most insects, can smell carbon dioxide in your breath. When they smell it, they’re attracted to you.
But there’s another odorous substance they hate even more: lactic acid. And guess what? You have lots of lactic acid all over your body. So when you’re sweating, a mosquito smells that lactic acid and thinks “Oh no. There must be a human around here” and flies away from you as fast as it can.
So how do you get rid of those pesky mosquitoes? Just rub some essential oils on yourself. Essential oils are chemicals that contain the scent of plants, like cinnamon or lavender or lemongrass or citronella or patchouli or catnip or peppermint or cedar. You’ll want to use at least two different kinds of essential oils every time you go outside—that way if one kind wears off before the other one does, there will still be an adequate amount left behind to keep the bugs away for longer than just a few minutes at a time.
List of Homemade Mosquito Repellent With Mouthwash
The following are some of the best homemade mosquito repellent with mouthwash:
Price : $36.00
- This item cannot be stored in Amazon warehouses due to active ingredient storage temperature requirements.
- Do-It-Yourself Mosquito Killer
- 100% American Made
- Place 4 tubes (2 boxes) per acre on your perimeter/property line (more than 4 tubes can be used).
- SPARTAN MOSQUITO PRO TECH IS NOT AVAILABLE TO RESIDENTS OF California, and outside the United States
Additional Info :
Thermacell Patio Shield Mosquito Repeller, Blue; Highly Effective Mosquito Repellent for Patio; No Candles or Flames, DEET-Free, Scent-Free, Bug Spray Alternative; Includes 12-Hour Refill
Price : $19.98
- EFFECTIVE MOSQUITO PROTECTION: Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Patio Shield creates a 15-foot zone of protection against mosquitoes. Use this sleek repeller on patios, decks, pools, and more. Turn It On… Mosquitoes Gone.
- HEAT-ACTIVATED TECHNOLOGY: No cords or batteries. Powered by a safe and compact 12-hour fuel cartridge. Emits scent-free repellent that drives away mosquitoes. Unscented repellent mats last up to 4 hours each and change color when time to replace.
- EFFECTIVELY REPEL WITHOUT SPRAY OR SCENT: Repel mosquitoes without DEET sprays or lotions on your skin. No smoke, flames, or harsh odors like citronella. Enjoy max protection in 15 minutes.
- PLANT-INSPIRED REPELLENT FORMULA: Our synthetic allethrin formula is inspired by repellent extracts found in plants. Independently tested and EPA reviewed for safety & effectiveness. People and pet friendly.
- THERMACELL GUARANTEE: Extend warranty to 2 years with registration (automatic 1-year warranty included). Backed by Thermacell Guarantee. See packaging for details. Includes repeller, 12-hour fuel cartridge, and three repellent mats.
Additional Info :
Price : $15.34 ($0.48 / Fl Oz)
- Fight Bad Breath: Our Fresh Breath Oral Rinse is a dentist-formulated mouthwash that targets sulfur-producing bacteria to help Fight Bad Breath. Clinically proven to be effective for over 12 hours
- Restore Confidence: Our original Mild Mint mouthwash uses clinically-proven ingredients to help fight the bacteria that cause bad breath odor and stop sour, bitter, and metallic tastes in your mouth
- Premium Oral Care: Our solution-oriented line of toothpastes, mouthwashes, breath sprays, tonsil stone kits, pet care products, and more can help your whole family get the oral hygiene support you need
- Professional-Grade Products: TheraBreath’s line of dentist-formulated toothpastes, mouthwashes, and other products are designed to help address halitosis, cavity prevention, gum disease, and more
- Trusted Quality: Started in 1994 by dentist Dr. Harold Katz, TheraBreath has continued to innovate, delivering an extensive line of the highest-quality oral care products for you and your family
Additional Info :
Price : $5.99
- Kills mosquitoes before they’re old enough to bite
- The only product with bti, bacteria toxic only to mosquito larvae
- Lasts for 30 days and treats 100 square feet of surface water
- Non-toxic to all other wildlife , pets, fish, and humans
- Labeled for organic gardening by the usepa
Additional Info :
Katchy Indoor Insect Trap – Catcher & Killer for Mosquito, Gnat, Moth, Fruit Flies – Non-Zapper Traps for Buzz-Free Home – Catch Flying Insect Indoors with Suction, Bug Light & Sticky Glue (Black)
Price : $44.99
- Triple trapping power, first the UV light attracts the bug then the fan sucks it in and the sticky glue boards trap it. No Zapper.
- Subtle and stylish fruit fly, gnat and mosquito killer, no more ugly traps, easily place in your home, kitchen or office as a decorative, stylish piece.
- Trap indoors, close to insect-ridden fruit, plants or trash bin, turn off lights for best results.
- Not effective on house flies.
- Easy to use, choose between standard or low speed setting and leave it to work its magic, EPA Est. Numb.:93372-CHN-1
Additional Info :
Mosquitoes are the worst. They’re loud, they’re annoying, and they carry diseases. And while there are plenty of gadgets out there that claim to keep mosquitoes away, the truth is that none of them really work—except for this one.
It’s simple to make, costs next to nothing, and it works like a charm. All you need is:
-a bottle of mouthwash (any flavor will do)
-a spray bottle (you can use an empty one from your local hardware store)
-a funnel (optional)
Directions: Pour mouthwash into the spray bottle and fill with water until it reaches approximately 1/3 full. Fill bottle with water until it reaches 2/3 full. Shake vigorously. You’ll want to shake your repellent every time before using it so that the chemicals don’t separate. Then spray away.