Bed bugs are small parasitic insects that feed on the blood of humans. Once they attach to their host, they inject an anesthetic venom to prevent detection while feeding. The bites usually result in a cluster of red bumps on our skin which develop into itchy welts. In case you are wondering how long bed bugs live without food, then there’s no need to worry as this article will definitely help you find out the answer to that question.
Bed bugs will die if deprived of food for an extended period. The infestation is bad when the food in the area where the bedbugs live disappears. It takes a long time before they starve to death if there are no available food sources. Bedbugs are generally dependent on human blood to survive but they could survive on a very limited number of meals. Bed bugs can last for weeks without food. They only need a small amount of blood to survive, which means that one victim can be enough to keep them alive for over a month. The fact is that once they get into your home, they will never leave. If you do not treat the problem, they can live there undisturbed for long periods of time. The best thing to do is to call an exterminator as soon as possible and have them start treatment right away.
Bed bugs have been known parasites for thousands of years; however, in recent times, they have become an increasing problem. The war against bed bugs has been ongoing for many years, but preventatives and treatments for getting rid of these pests are constantly evolving. Bed bug infestations are difficult to eliminate because the pests can be small enough to squeeze into tiny spaces where you might not even suspect them. These insects survive a long time without food; however, recent research has revealed the approximate time a bed bug is likely to live without food before it dies needs to be known in order to effectively treat the problem.
How Often Do Bed Bug Nymphs Feed?
Bed bugs are nocturnal creatures, so you’re unlikely to see them during the day. However, you may notice small dots on your sheets or pillowcases that look like tiny black pepper flakes. These are the droppings of bed bugs. The eggs laid by these insects hatch into nymphs that survive on blood from humans and animals.
Bed bug nymphs can feed as frequently as once a week on human blood, but they usually feed every three to four days. They also require more blood than adults do because they need to grow in size and develop properly.
If you suspect you have a bed bug infestation in your home, it’s important to contact a pest control professional right away so they can recommend the best methods for eliminating these pests from your property and preventing them from coming back again.
How Long Can Bed Bug Nymph Survive?
Bed bug nymphs are the immature stage of a bed bug. Although they look like adults, they are much smaller and lack wings. Bed bugs go through five stages of development. Nymphs hatch from eggs laid by adult female bed bugs. They grow into adults within 5-10 days and lay eggs themselves as they develop.
The life span of a bed bug is quite short, only lasting around 6-12 months in the wild. This may be because they have so many predators in their environment. However, when they are in a home where humans provide them with food and shelter, they can live for up to 18 months or longer.
Bed bug nymphs have a number of adaptations that allow them to survive for long periods without feeding. For instance, they can go for long periods without food or water because they are able to absorb nutrients from their host’s skin while feeding. However, if they do not get enough blood during their first meals after hatching, they will die within a few days.
How Long Can Baby Bed Bugs Live Without a Host?
The answer is that it depends on the temperature of the environment that they are in. Baby bed bugs (nymphs) need to eat blood in order to molt into an adult, and they can live for up to 18 months without feeding. However, if they don’t feed every few months or so, they will become weak and die sooner than that.
The warmer the environment, the faster they grow and develop—which means that if you have a hot house or apartment (above 80 degrees Fahrenheit), then your nymphs may only live up to six months before they die out of starvation or lack of oxygen in their bodies caused by massive growth spurts.
Can Bedbugs Reproduce Without Feeding?
The short answer is yes: bedbugs can reproduce without feeding. Bedbugs have the ability to produce eggs without having to feed on a host, though they prefer to feed on humans and are most active when they have had a meal.
When bedbugs first hatch, they are called nymphs. The female nymphs will go through four stages of development before reaching adulthood; they will shed their exoskeleton four times as they grow larger in each stage. The male nymphs will only go through three stages before reaching adulthood, and they do not need to shed their exoskeleton more than once.
Once the female has reached adulthood, she will begin laying eggs. These eggs are laid in batches of about five at a time, and the female can lay about three batches per week during her lifetime (which lasts about six months). If a female has been feeding on human blood regularly, she can lay up to five batches of eggs per week. A single female bedbug can lay between six and 12 eggs over the course of her lifetime; however, this number varies depending on how much food she gets from feeding on humans and other animals like dogs or cats (which are also hosts for bedbugs).
List of BedBug Killers
Bedbugs are a huge problem in the United States, and they’re only getting worse. The good news is that there are multiple ways to get rid of bedbugs without having to use pesticides that can be harmful to people and pets.
Here are a few products you can use to get rid of bedbugs:
BugMD – Pest Control Essential Oil Concentrate 3.7 oz – Natural Bug Spray, Kills Bugs Spiders Fleas Ticks Roaches, Ant Spray Indoor, Natural Ant Killer for House, Flea Spray for Home, Bed Bug Spray
Price : $16.99
- Eliminate Home Invading Pests: bugmd is the safe and effective way to target hundreds of indoor and outdoor pests including ants, fleas, mosquitoes, roaches, mites, moths, spiders and tons more This essential oil based spray is the perfect solution to keep your home, yard and other spaces pest free without ever sacrificing your family’s health and safety.
- One small concentrate bottle is all you need to create a 32 oz bottle of pest control spray that can easily be sprayed in and out of the home, including in bathrooms, bedrooms, pet areas, kitchens, baseboards, sheds, cabinets and gardens and outdoor areas. Simply add your full Essential Pest concentrate to 27 oz of cold water into a bugmd Essential “Forever” Spray bottle, shake and spray.
- Plant Based, Non-Toxic Formula: bugmd utilizes the power of plant oils such as cottonseed oil and clove oil, instead of toxic killers, chemical sprays and poisonous fumes, so you never have to worry about putting your family in danger while you effectively control pest invasions. bugmd is safe for wood, carpet and fabrics.
- Fast Acting Formula: Our essential oil based spray kills some species in seconds and eliminates all within 30 minutes. Plus, bugmd can even work on some species known to have resistance to typical insecticides and sprays. Utilize this versatile formula as often as needed to quickly and safely defend your home.
- Effectively Protect Your Home: Our multi-use pest control spray effectively kills insects at all stages of their lifecycle. From eggs, to larvae, to adults, our biopesticide powerfully treats and eliminates the invasion of pests at any stage, so you can enjoy a bug free home. Works great as a natural cockroach killer indoor home.
Additional Info :
Price : $5.53
- KILLS: Kills flies, moths, cockroaches, silverfish, spiders and other insects as listed.
- HANGING STRIP: Just hang up in garages, sheds, storage units, attics and crawl spaces occupied by people less than 4 hours per day.
- CONTROLLED-RELEASE TECHNOLOGY: Simply remove from package to begin controlling action – keeps protecting for up to 4 months.
- PENETRATING VAPOR: Clean, odorless, deep-penetrating vapor is distributed throughout the treatment area.
- USAGE AREA: One strip treats a 10 foot x 13 foot enclosed room with an 8-foot ceiling.
Additional Info :
Price : $24.95
- Pair of robust traction cleats fit securely on any shoe or boot to reduce the risk of falls and increase safety when walking on snow and ice
- Multi-directional heat-treated steel traction plates are molded into the heel and forefoot of the stretch-to-fit thermoplastic elastomer binding for maximum surface contact
- Full-sole coverage provides 360 degrees of traction for everyday activities like walking the dog and shoveling the driveway
- High-performance traction aids are built to stand up to hard use and are tested to remain flexible in frigid temperatures, down to -45 degrees Fahrenheit
- Size small fits men’s shoe sizes 4-7 and women’s shoe sizes 5-8; can be folded up and carried in a pack or purse; made in the USA; 90 day manufacturer’s warranty
Additional Info :
Price : $33.07
- Cocoa shell mulch has an approximate fertilizer value of 2.5-1-3; it will not burn vegetation
- A wholly organic mulching material made from the outer shell of the cocoa bean
- The material breaks down slowly and will not disappear into the soil
- Apply in the spring or summer to help reduce weeds and conserve water
- Comes in 2-cubic feet bag
Additional Info :
BugMD No Fly Zone Refiller Pad (6 Pads) – Extra-Strong Adhesive Traps, Indoor Insect Trap Refill, Pesticide and Toxin Free, 100% Household Safe, Fly Trap Refill, Flea Trap Refills, Bug Trapper
Price : $14.99 ($2.50 / Count)
- 6x Pest Protection: Each No Fly Zone Refiller Pad comes with 6 ultra-strong sticky pads so you can have long-lasting pest protection!
- Save More !!: No need to buy new devices or new contraptions! Simply buy the refiller pads and use your No Fly Zone device endlessly!
- 100 percent Pesticide and Toxin-Free!: Say goodbye to harmful toxins inside your home! The No Fly Zone only uses a discreet UV light to lure in flying pests so you can be fly-free and 100 percent worry-free!
- Extra-Strong Hold Refillable Traps for Ultimate Protection: Pests are no match to the No Fly Zone’s super strong sticky refill glue boards that easily capture flying pests for easy disposal!
- No Patience For Pests: BugMD aims to give you easy, , and effective home pest control so you can relax and be worry-free as BugMD protects your home from annoying creepy crawlies!
Additional Info :
It is important to note that the life of a bed bug nymph depends on its age. The younger the nymph, the shorter its lifespan. The older it gets, the longer it can live without food or water.
The adult bed bug can live for several weeks without food. However, if you have a problem with bed bugs in your home or property, it is important to make sure that you have removed all traces of infested materials from your home. This includes mattresses and furniture that have been affected by an infestation of bed bugs.
If you suspect that there may be an issue with a bed bug infestation in your home, it is important to contact a professional pest control company immediately so they can help you identify where the source of the problem is coming from and how best to fix it quickly before any damage occurs.