Fleas are parasites that feed on the blood of mammals and are often found in dogs. It is important to understand the different types of flea bites so you can identify what kind of flea is on your dog, where they came from, and how to get rid of them. Below we will discuss these things as well as provide detailed information on the most common types of fleas. In this article, we’ll cover: Mosquitoes, Fleas, Jiggers, Chiggers, Ticks & Mites
There are numerous types of fleas that have been defined. This article will cover the most common species of fleas, if you would like to learn more about specific species please contact your local exterminator or veterinarian. There are four main types of fleas, but they don’t all carry the same diseases.
- The cat flea (Ctenocephalides felis) is the most common, and it can transmit tapeworms to humans and dogs. It’s also the most likely to bite humans.
- The dog flea (Ctenocephalides canis) is less common than the cat flea, and it’s less likely to bite people. It can also transmit tapeworms to both cats and dogs.
- The Oriental rat flea (Xenopsylla cheopis) is found in rats and other rodents, and it carries bubonic plague—which killed millions of Europeans in the 1300s—in its blood.
- The human flea (Pulex irritans) lives on the skin of humans, not on animals or inside homes full of pets; it doesn’t carry any diseases at all.
How Many Type Of Fleas Are There?
There are over 2,000 types of fleas in the world. However, only a few of these types affect humans and their pets.
The most common type of flea is the cat flea (Ctenocephalides felis), which can be found on dogs, cats, rabbits, and humans. The dog flea (Ctenocephalides canis) is also common, but typically only affects dogs or other canines.
Other types include the oriental rat flea (Xenopsylla cheopis), which is responsible for the spread of plague; the human louse (Pthirus pubis), which causes pubic lice; and the oriental rat mite (Liponyssoides sanguineus), which causes an itchy rash called scabies.
What Kind Of Fleas Live On Humans?
Fleas are insects that live off of the blood of their host animals. They are most commonly found on cats and dogs, but can also live on humans.
There are two kinds of fleas that live on humans: the cat flea and the human flea. The cat flea is the most common type found on human hosts, but both species can cause irritation and discomfort when they bite.
Is There A Difference Between Cat Fleas And Dog Fleas?
Cat fleas (Ctenocephalides felis) are a different species than dog fleas (Ctenocephalides canis). However, their differences are best distinguished through the use of a microscope. Despite their name, cat fleas are capable of affecting dogs and an array of other animals as well as humans. They have been found to carry tapeworms, which can be transmitted to humans through the consumption of undercooked meat or by ingesting the flea itself.
List of Flea Killer Products
Flea eggs are tiny, oval-shaped, and black in color. They are laid by female adult fleas onto the host’s skin or hair where they fall off into the environment (often carpet fibers). Female adult fleas can lay up to 50 eggs per day; however, egg laying slows down after several months because adults become less active as they age. The eggs hatch into larvae which grow through five different stages called instars before becoming fully grown adults that mate with one another by using their siphon tubes located at the hind end of their bodies (anal area) where sperm is released into female genital pores located just above the rectum area when male adults mate with females during copulation (copulation).
Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Home Spray | Flea Treatment for Dogs and Home | Plant-Based Formula | 32 Ounces
Price : $9.97
- TOTAL HOME & DOG DEFENSE: Applies easily on surfaces, indoors including dog bedding, crates, furniture, blankets, upholstery, carpets, and more. Also gentle enough to be applied directly on dogs and puppies 12 weeks or older.
- GENTLE PROTECTION: Vet’s Best Flea & Tick Home Spray uses plant-based ingredients to kill fleas, flea eggs, and ticks on contact.
- PROVEN EFFECTIVE: Whether facing an active flea and tick problem or are applying for routine prevention, our spray is scientifically proven effective against pests but gentle enough to use around the whole family.
- PLANT-BASED ALTERNATIVE – Battles fleas and ticks without harsh chemicals, but instead uses plant-based ingredients, such as peppermint oil and eugenol (from clove plants).
- MADE IN THE USA: Our products are proudly manufactured in the USA with quality domestic and internationally sourced ingredients.
Additional Info :
15PCS 6″ Flea Trap Refills Compatible with Terro T230 T231 Indoor Electric Flea Light Flea Trap and Flea Killer, Flea Trap Refill Discs Replacement Glue Boards
Price : $7.99 ($0.53 / Count)
- 【Replacement Fly Trap Refill Glue Boards】 Sized 6 x 6 inches (length by width) glue boards fit Terro flea trap and killer of T230 T231 and more, when fleas and other insects enter the trap, they will be firmly stuck to the glue boards. These glue pads are not designed for use as a stand alone trap.
- 【Safe Materials】 Our fly killer glue pads are made of quality paper and glue, safe to use in your home/bedroom/living room/office/other indoor places and around your children or pets.
- 【Easy to Use】 No tools required. Designed with non-stick handle for easily use the sticky glue board refill. Just peel off the plastic cover of the glue board then place it in the bottom of your flea trap.
- 【Long-Lasting Bed Bug Trap Refills】 Sticky glue is added in the bug catcher refills can easily stick various small flying insects and keep your fly trap clean even used for a long time. After the flying insects land on the pad, they will be glued to the pad. Each flea trap refill can be used about 4 week or longer.
- 【15 PCS Refill Glue Boards】 Packaged with 15 pack sticky pads for bugs can meet your long-term needs.
Additional Info :
SENTRY Flea and Tick Shampoo for Dogs, Rid Your Dog of Fleas, and Ticks Tropical Breeze, 18 Fl Oz (Pack of 1)
Price : $3.99
- USE: SENTRY Flea & Tick Shampoo for Dogs and Puppies kills fleas and ticks for up to 10 days. It kills flea eggs for 30 days to help prevent reinfestation.
- IDEAL FOR DOGS: This rich, conditioning, non-staining formula contains flea and tick-killing active ingredients including an insect growth regulator (IGR) that disturbs fleas trying to lay eggs and eggs from hatching for 30 days
- HOW IT WORKS: This flea and tick shampoo cleans, deodorizes, and conditions your dog’s coat while protecting them from nasty pests. Best of all, they’ll smell great afterward, because of the tropical breeze scent. It’s even safe to use on puppies older than 12 weeks.
- FLEAS: Fleas are insects that can start your pet scratching with one bite. They have exceptional jumping skills, leaping vertically up to seven inches to hop on a host to feed and lay their eggs — up to 5,000 flea eggs in a female’s lifetime.
- TICKS: Ticks are parasites that belong to the arachnid family (like spiders and mites) and live in wooded or grassy areas where they attach themselves to pets walking by. Female ticks find hosts to feed, mate and lay eggs upon, while the males generally occupy hosts for mating purposes.
Additional Info :
Purina FortiFlora Probiotics for Dogs, Pro Plan Veterinary Supplements Powder Probiotic Dog Supplement – 30 ct. box
- One (1) 30-Count Box – Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets Probiotics Dog Supplement, Fortiflora Canine Nutritional Supplement
- Probiotic recommended by veterinarians (Kynetec, Probiotic Recommendation Study, March 2019)
- A Probiotic supplement for the dietary management of puppies and adult dogs with diarrhea
- Contains a probiotic to promote normal intestinal microflora. Helps reduce flatulence
- Proprietary microencapsulation process for enhanced stability
Additional Info :
PETARMOR Home Carpet Powder for Fleas and Ticks, Protect Your Home From Fleas and Deodorizes Carpets, 16 Ounce
Price : $8.56
- LONG-LASTING CONTROL: PETARMOR Home & Carpet Powder kills fleas, brown dog ticks, flea eggs, flea larvae, and flea pupae.
- PET ODOR: PetArmor Home Carpet Flea and Tick Powder contains a pet odor eliminator, has a clean fresh scent, and is available in a 16-ounce cannister.
- EFFECTIVE: PetArmor Home Carpet Flea and Tick Powder kills fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae, flea pupae, and brown dog ticks.
- PROTECT YOUR HOME: Find fleas or ticks on your pet. They are probably in your home. Fleas lay up to 50 eggs a day. PetArmor Home Carpet Flea and Tick Powder helps you in the fight against fleas and ticks.
- PETS ARE FAMILY: PetArmor Flea and Tick Home products help you confidently protect your furry family member from fleas and ticks at home without a visit to the vet.
Additional Info :
Cat fleas are the most common type of flea found in homes and on pets. They feed on blood from dogs, cats, and humans. Cat fleas live up to 18 months. They are reddish-brown or black in color with two dark spots at the end of their abdomens. Adult female cat fleas lay up to 50 eggs daily in dark places like cracks or crevices in your home. When these eggs hatch into larvae, they feed on organic debris found on carpets and upholstery for about a month before becoming adults themselves.
Dog fleas can also be found inside homes where dogs live but do not breed. They are more common outside but will go indoors if it is warm enough for them to survive there comfortably. These fleas typically feed on dogs but may bite humans if they get too close to them while feeding off their canine hosts’ blood supply instead; they will also bite cats as well as small rodents like rats if they’re available nearby instead.