You’re reading this because you want to know what essential oils are and why they work so well. Well, first off, essential oils are fragrant compounds that give plants their scent. They contain volatile elements that evaporate easily and are absorbed by the skin or inhaled through the nose.
Essential oils have been used for thousands of years to treat a wide range of ailments from colds to depression. It’s no wonder that they’ve been used as bug repellents for centuries as well. In fact, in ancient times, people would rub themselves with natural insect-repellent oils before heading out into the wilderness on hunting trips, and it worked.
Today, we know that many of these natural oils can be used safely on humans and animals alike. They smell nice and help keep bugs away from your skin when applied topically (meaning you rub them on). They also repel insects from entering your home if you put them in pots of plants around your house or garden.
The first thing to note is that all essential oils are natural by definition – they are derived from plant sources and contain the essence of the plant. But some of them have been processed in a way that makes them less natural than others – for example, steam distillation is considered more natural than solvent extraction (which uses chemical solvents).
When it comes to bug repellents, there are many different kinds of plants that produce essential oils with insect-repelling properties. Some of these include citronella, lemongrass, cedarwood, and lavender (just to name a few).
Natural bug-repellent essential oils are a great way to keep bugs away from you and your family. These oils are great for repelling not just mosquitoes, but any other type of insect that might want to bite you or drink your blood. These oils are made from plants and flowers, so they are completely natural and safe for humans. They contain no chemicals or other harmful ingredients.
The best thing about using these oils is that they don’t require any special equipment or products in order for them to work properly. You simply add some drops of one of these essential oils into a spray bottle filled with water, shake well, then spray it on yourself or anyone else who needs protection from biting insects like ticks and fleas.
How Do You Make Natural Bug Spray With Essential Oils?
There are many different ways to make a natural bug spray with essential oils. Essential oils are the active ingredients in plants that give them their aroma and therapeutic properties, and they can be used to make homemade bug sprays that are safe for you and your family.
First, you will need to gather all of the supplies that you need for making your bug spray. You’ll need a large container to store it in, as well as empty spray bottles (plastic or glass). You can find these at most hardware stores. You’ll also need some essential oils to add to the solution. These can be purchased online or at most health food stores. Finally, you’ll need something for mixing up your solution—a funnel is usually best for this purpose.
Once you have all of these items together, let’s begin. The first step is filling up your container with water and adding about 10 drops of each essential oil that you want to use in your bug spray recipe (you can use more than one if desired). Next place all of these ingredients into a bowl and stir well until everything has been blended properly together into one homogenous mixture; then pour this mixture into your empty bottles using a funnel until full; then screw on lids tightly before storing away until needed.
Do Essential Oils Actually Repel Bugs?
Essential oils do have the power to repel bugs. The most effective essential oils for repelling bugs include lemongrass, citronella, peppermint, and rosemary. These oils are known for their insect-repelling properties and have been used for centuries to keep pesky insects away from humans.
Essential oils are often derived from plants or flowers that have been infused with steam or cold pressed to extract the plant’s essential oils. Non-essential oils can also be used as insect repellents but tend to be weaker than essential oils. When using essential oils as a bug repellent, it’s important to use only high-quality products in order to get maximum benefits.
There are many ways you can use essential oils as a bug repellent but some of the most popular ways include adding them directly into your skin care regimen or using them in homemade cleaning products like soaps and lotions.
What is the Best Homemade Insect Repellent?
There are many different ways to make homemade insect repellent. Some are safer than others, but all of them work better than commercial products when used correctly. The best way to know for sure if something works is to test it yourself.
What Ingredients Do You Need?
You can use essential oils or natural liquid ingredients to make your own insect repellent. Essential oils have been used for thousands of years as a cure for insect bites and stings, but there has been some debate about their effectiveness in recent years. Most experts agree that they can be effective when combined with other ingredients, but not on their own.
The most common essential oils used include citronella, lemongrass, cedarwood oil, neem oil, and lavender oil. There are also many natural liquid ingredients you can use in place of essential oils, such as witch hazel extract or aloe vera gel. Most experts recommend using both types of ingredients together because they work better together than individually (and they smell better too).
What is the Best Essential Oil for Insect Repellent?
Essential oils are the best solution for repelling insects. They contain compounds that are harmful to insects, so they repel them without the need for chemicals. Some of the most effective essential oils for repelling insects include eucalyptus, citronella, lemongrass, peppermint, and tea tree oil. These essential oils have different properties that make them ideal for different situations, but they all work well as insect repellents.
Eucalyptus: Eucalyptus is an excellent choice if you want a strong scent to repel insects. It has a strong odor that most insects dislike and will keep them away from you. You can use this oil directly on your skin or mix it with other oils to create your own blend of essential oils for insect repellency.
Citronella: Citronella is another good option if you want something with a strong scent that will keep insects away from you. It has been used as an insect repellant for centuries because of its powerful smell and ability to keep mosquitoes away from people who are near water sources where mosquitoes tend to congregate during warmer months when temperatures rise above 70 degrees Fahrenheit each day (21 Celsius).
list of Natural Bug Repellent Essential Oils
Essential oils are the best natural bug repellent. They are natural, effective, and safe to use. They have been used for centuries to repel mosquitoes, ticks, and other nasty bugs.
Essential oils are powerful compounds that come from plants. They have a pleasant aroma that attracts people but has a strong odor that repels insects. Many essential oils work well on their own or can be mixed with other essential oils to create a more potent bug-repellent.
Here are some of the best natural bug repellents made with essential oils:
UpNature Bug Away Essential Oil Blend – 100% Pure & Natural Insect, Mosquito & Bug Repellent Spray with Citronella Essential Oil, Rosemary & Peppermint – DEET Free, Travel Size Bug Spray, 2oz
Price : $14.99 ($7.50 / Fl Oz)
- THOUGHTFULLY DESIGNED INSECT REPELLENT – UpNature’s Citronella Blend Insect Repellent Spray includes a mix of 8 naturally-derived essential oils. Repel insects with essential oil benefits like hydrating and toning skin, relieving itching, and more.
- ALL-NATURAL INGREDIENTS – Blended with citronella oil, rosemary oil, lemongrass, peppermint, Thyme, and spearmint, repel insects and smell good too. This mosquito repellent outdoor spray is 100% DEET Free bug spray. No dyes, no synthetic fragrances, and no harsh chemicals.
- TAKE IT ANYWHERE – Perfect camping essentials. Whether you’re fishing, hiking, golfing, or enjoying the sunshine in your backyard, this 2 oz bug spray travel-size bottle has you covered. Make the outdoors yours again with a natural bug and insect spray that’s safe for everyone.
- HOW TO USE – Shake before use. Spray on exposed skin from a distance of 8-12 inches and let it dry. Re-apply as needed. If applying on the face, spray into hands first then gently apply. Store at room temperature in a cool, dry area.
- WE ARE UPNATURE – Always pure and potent, UpNature products are 100% pure and natural with no dilution or added fragrances. Your satisfaction is our ultimate goal. That’s why all UpNature products adhere to our strict quality standards.
Additional Info :
Victoria’s Lavender Organic “Don’t Bug Me” Insect Spray, Made with Plant-Based Essential Oils & Aloe Vera … (4 oz Single)
Price: $14.99 ($14.99 / Count)
- WE’RE BACK. Our popular bug repellent is once again available on Amazon. Made for the WHOLE FAMILY as well as pets (including dogs and horses). Finally a DEET-free mosquito repellent you can feel good about using.
- IT WORKS. Our “Don’t Bug Me” bug spray is highly effective on a variety of insects including mosquitos, flies, ticks, and horse and deer flies. Don’t take chances on insects ruining your vacation. Take Victoria’s Lavender “Don’t Bug Me” spray with you wherever you go. 4 oz recyclable bottle with sprayer
- SHAKE WELL before each use. This formula made with essential oils plus organic Aloe Vera is soothing and cooling and is not oily, greasy, or sticky. Lasts up to 6 hours. Extra protection apply also to clothing.
- OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES – Whether camping, gardening, outdoor dining, hiking, or at an outdoor wedding or concert our refreshingly scented insect repellent is a must-have.
Additional Info :
Murphy’s Naturals Lemon Eucalyptus Oil Insect Repellent Spray | DEET Free | Plant Based, All Natural Ingredients | Mosquito and Tick Repellent | 2 Ounce Pump Spray | 3 Pack
Price: $18.99 ($9.50 / Fl Oz)
- Protects Against Mosquitoes for up to 6 Hours: Without any nasty chemicals like DEET, you’ll have up to 6 hours of worry-free protection on your next adventure
- Protects Against Ticks for up to 4 Hours: Our specially formulated spray provides protection against deer ticks for up to 4 hours, as well as lone star and brown dog ticks for up to 8 hours
- Harness the Power of Natural Plant-Based Ingredients: 30% Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus, 70% Distilled Water and Ethanol made from Corn
- Doesn’t Harm Gear: Spray on your skin or gear, and enjoy the natural power from the only plant-based repellent recommended by the CDC
- No Dyes, No Synthetic Fragrances, No Harsh Chemicals
Additional Info :
Wondercide – Mosquito, Tick, Fly, and Insect Repellent with Natural Essential Oils – DEET-Free Plant-Based Bug Spray and Killer – Safe for Kids, Babies, and Family – Peppermint 2-Pack of 4 oz Bottle
Price: $23.98 ($23.98 / Count)
- REPELS & PROTECTS. Powered by Wondercide’s proven-to-work spray formula that repels 98% of mosquitoes, this insect repellent spray is a safe, effective control method for repelling bugs. In addition to being a plant-based mosquito repeller, this spray will kill and repel hundreds of common pests, such as gnats, ticks, fleas, no-see-ums, spiders, and other biting flies.
- GENTLE ON KIDS, EASY TO USE. Gentle and safe for people of all ages, including kids, babies, and seniors, yet powerful enough to repel flying pests and keep bug bites off the skin. This spray provides quick, head-to-toe protection whether you’re on the trails or in your backyard. Just spray on and stay protected.
- DEET-FREE & VERSATILE. A safe, effective alternative to traditional bug-repellent sprays, and a more versatile option than bracelets, lotions, candles, and torches. Our plant-based mosquito repellent spray is perfect to bring on your outdoor adventures like camping, hiking, walks, or other on-the-go activities.
- NO NASTY INGREDIENTS. Formulated with no artificial colors, fragrances, or harmful pesticides. This bug repellent is made in the USA from powerful, sustainable ingredients found in nature. Cruelty-free and biodegradable.
- POWERED BY NATURE, AS POWERFUL AS DEET. Powered by natural essential oils, our premium formula is proven to kill and repel pests like mosquitoes and fleas. Safe for use on adults, children, and pets when used as directed. DEET-free.
Additional Info :
3 Moms Organics TickWise | 8oz Extra Strength, DEET- Free, Tick and Insect Repellent | Plant Based Essential Oils and All Natural Ingredients | Safe for Kids, Adults, Dogs and Horses
Price: $16.99 ($2.12 / Fl Oz)
- We are 100% EPA compliant.
- STRONG & PROVEN EFFECTIVE TickWise is proven to be 100% effective at 2 hrs for ticks and 1.75 hrs for mosquitoes in both laboratory and field testing. TickWise is made with all-natural, pure, therapeutic-grade essential oils. Developed and produced by Moms that care immensely.
- Great for Families, Dogs, Horses, and Any Activity Outside
- Vegan ~ Soy, Nut, Gluten, and Dairy Free
Additional Info :
The best bug-repellent essential oils are those that work for you. If you want to avoid the chemicals in commercial repellents, then natural insect repellents are a great option. They may not be as powerful as some of the commercial options, but they do work pretty well. Choose your favorite essential oil and get to mix up a batch of bug repellent today.
If you’re looking for something that smells amazing and works well, try peppermint or citronella. If you have sensitive skin and don’t want to use harsh chemicals on your body, we recommend lavender or lemongrass. And if you’re looking for a more holistic approach, eucalyptus will be perfect.
No matter which natural bug-repellent essential oil you choose, there’s no denying that they all have one thing in common: they’ll keep those pesky bugs away so you can enjoy being outdoors without worrying about getting eaten alive by mosquitos.