With summer just around the corner, you will be spending more and more time outdoors. The prospect of spending a hot afternoon next to a pool is but some reason why you may want to consider natural bug repellents for your skin. However, this being said there are several types of bugs and critters you should still try to avoid. Still, a cooler or two is nothing compared to how great you will feel as a result of using natural bug repellents for the skin.
What is better than getting outdoors? Getting outdoors without having to worry about bugs. This can be a challenge in some parts of the world, but it doesn’t have to be. By using natural bug repellent, you can visit your favorite outdoor spots without worrying about being eaten alive.
Bug repellent is used to keep bugs away from you. There are many different kinds of bug repellents, including creams, lotions, sprays, and candles.
Creams and lotions are usually applied to the skin. Some of these products contain DEET (N, N-diethyl-meta-toluamide), a chemical that repels insects. DEET is effective against mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, and fleas. However, it can irritate your skin if used too often or in large amounts.
Sprays are generally easier to apply than creams or lotions because they can be sprayed on clothing as well as skin. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guidelines recommend using only small amounts of DEET when applying sprays or lotions because large amounts may cause health problems in some people (especially children).
Candles made with citronella oil repel insects by emitting an odor that bugs do not like. Just light one up and enjoy the smell.
How Do You Make Natural Insect Repellent for Humans?
There are many different ways to make natural insect repellent, but they all have the same purpose: to help keep bugs away. The best way to do this is with a combination of ingredients that work together.
The first ingredient is lemon juice. Lemon juice provides an astringent effect that helps dry out and repel insects from your skin. You can also use apple cider vinegar for this purpose as well.
Next up is essential oils. Citronella and cedarwood essential oils are two of the best options for natural insect repellent because they are so effective in keeping mosquitoes away from you while also smelling great. Other good essential oils include lavender, eucalyptus, tea tree, and peppermint oil. These should be diluted before being applied directly to your skin though as some can irritate sensitive areas if applied too liberally.
Some people also like using herbs like thyme or rosemary leaves as an alternative to essential oils because they allow for longer-lasting protection against bugs without having to reapply them after each application like other types of repellents do. You can crush these leaves up into fine powder before mixing them into water or aloe vera gel.
What Naturally Repels Mosquitoes on Skin?
Mosquitoes are attracted to the carbon dioxide that we exhale, as well as lactic acid and other molecules produced by our bodies.
Mosquito repellents are made from a variety of natural ingredients, including citronella, geranium oil, lemongrass oil, peppermint oil, and rosemary oil. Some of these oils can be applied directly to the skin, while others must be mixed with an adhesive before they can be applied. These repellents are effective but may not last long enough to prevent bites during an entire camping trip or evening on the patio.
Alternative mosquito repellent options include using natural botanical oils and essential oils that have been shown to repel mosquitoes and other insects naturally without the use of chemicals or synthetic ingredients.
What Is the Best Homemade Bug Spray?
The best homemade bug spray is one that you can make at home, with ingredients you already have on hand. The standard recipe for homemade bug spray, as recommended by the CDC, is one part rubbing alcohol to one part water in a spray bottle.
This is harmless to humans and animals but will kill most insects on contact. The mixture can be applied to the skin as well as clothing and exposed areas of the body.
Some people also add essential oils such as citronella or eucalyptus oil for additional protection. These oils are not harmful and provide a pleasant scent, but they do not improve the effectiveness of the spray.
What Odor Do Mosquitoes Hate?
Mosquitoes are a nuisance for all of us, but for some people, they can be downright dangerous.
About 1 million people die each year from mosquito-borne illnesses like malaria and dengue fever, which is why it’s so important that we find ways to keep them away from us. The good news is there are lots of things you can do to keep mosquitoes away from your home.
One of the most effective methods of repelling mosquitoes is to use Citronella oil. Citronella oil is extracted from the leaves of lemongrass plants and has been used in candles, soaps, perfumes, and more for centuries. It has also been shown to be an effective insect repellent when used in combination with other substances such as camphor or geraniol.
Citronella oil works by masking our scent with its own natural fragrance, which mosquitoes dislike because they use smell to find food sources (like us). This is why you often find citronella candles in outdoor spaces where there are lots of people sitting around, it helps mask our scent so that mosquitoes don’t come near us.
list of Natural Bug Repellent For Skin
Here’s a list of natural bug repellents for your skin that will help keep those pesky critters away from your skin and keep you from having to worry about getting bitten by them.
Murphy’s Naturals Lemon Eucalyptus Oil Insect Repellent Spray | DEET Free | Plant Based, All Natural Ingredients | Mosquito and Tick Repellent | 2 Ounce Pump Spray | 3 Pack
Price: $18.99 ($9.50 / Fl Oz)
- Protects Against Mosquitoes for up to 6 Hours: Without any nasty chemicals like DEET, you’ll have up to 6 hours of worry-free protection on your next adventure
- Protects Against Ticks for up to 4 Hours: Our specially formulated spray provides protection against deer ticks for up to 4 hours, as well as lone star and brown dog ticks for up to 8 hours
- Harness the Power of Natural Plant-Based Ingredients: 30% Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus, 70% Distilled Water and Ethanol made from Corn
- Doesn’t Harm Gear: Spray on your skin or gear, and enjoy the natural power from the only plant-based repellent recommended by the CDC
- No Dyes, No Synthetic Fragrances, No Harsh Chemicals
Additional Info :
Repel 94109 HG-94109 Lemon Eucalyptus Natural Insect, 4-Ounce Pump Spray, 1 pack, Yellow
Price: $4.97 ($1.24 / Fl Oz)
- MADE WITH OIL OF LEMON EUCALYPTUS: This DEET-free insect repellent provides you with protection during adventures in the backyard and on the go.
- REPELS MOSQUITOES FOR UP TO 6 HOURS: This repellent keeps you and your family protected for hours, so the fun doesn’t have to end.
- REFRESHING SCENT: This DEET-free personal repellent leaves you with a cool, refreshing scent so you don’t have to put up with the usual bug spray smell.
- REPELS: Create a barrier against mosquitoes, including those that may transmit the Zika, West Nile, Dengue, and Chikungunya viruses.
- NOT GREASY OR STICKY: Formulated with oil of lemon eucalyptus to provide protection without leaving your skin feeling sticky or greasy.
Additional Info :
Badger – Anti-Bug Shake & Spray, DEET-Free Natural Bug Spray, Eco-Friendly, Certified Organic Mosquito Spray, Great for Kids, Insect Repellent, 2.7 Fl Oz
Price: $9.99 ($3.70 / Fl Oz)
- ALL NATURAL BUG SPRAY – Badger Anti-Bug Shake & Spray repels insects naturally with the pleasant aroma of Citronella, Rosemary, and Lemongrass essential oils. These pure essential oils naturally keep bugs, mosquitos, and insects away from you and your family.
- SAFE AND EFFECTIVE – Badger mosquito repellent spray doesn’t contain synthetic chemicals, DEET, or petroleum products. Tested to provide 3 hours of protection from mosquitos. Gluten-Free, Cruelty-Free, & Vegan.
- PERFECT FOR OUTDOOR ENTHUSIASTS – Protect yourself and your kids on your next outdoor adventure (hiking, camping, outdoor dining, sports, or a day at the beach) with Badger bug spray.
- CONVENIENT PACKAGING – The aluminum bottle is sturdy, lightweight, easy to carry, and easy to recycle. Available in 4oz and 2.7oz TSA-approved travel sizes.
- A BRAND YOU CAN TRUST – Badger is a family-owned, women-run B Corporation (Benefit Corp) making organic bug sprays and other natural skin care products that we use on our own families in rural New Hampshire since 1995. Read our ingredients, see what others say about our products, and try them for yourself.
Additional Info :
Bug Soother Spray (2, 8 oz) – Natural Insect, Gnat, and Mosquito Repellent & Deterrent – DEET-Free – Safe Bug Spray for Adults, Kids, Pets, & Environment – Made in the USA – Includes 1 oz. Travel Size
Price: $19.99 ($1.18 / Fl Oz)
- SUPER EFFECTIVE: Natural Bug Soother repels gnats, no-see-ums, sand fleas, black flies, and some mosquitoes. May require more frequent application and may need to be rubbed in. There are over 175 varieties of mosquitoes in the US (over 3,000 worldwide). Bug Soother is effective for some types of mosquitoes. Our customers have reported that Bug Soother can defend against fruit flies, fleas, and more. We’ve even heard of Bug Soother shielding roses from Japanese beetles.
- PREMIUM INGREDIENTS: Bug Soother is a natural insect repellent made with simple, skin-loving ingredients: Purified Water, Glycerin, Castor Oil, and Vitamin E blended using Soy Lecithin, a natural emulsifier used in foods. Lemongrass is 100% Pure Essential Oil, blended with vanilla for an amazing scent that people love, but bugs hate.
- FAVORITE USES: Bug Soother is commonly used when fishing, hiking, biking, golfing, farming, or when you’re simply enjoying some sunshine in your backyard. Bug Soother works in your defense by repelling the irritating insects that can cut your outdoor time short.
- VERSATILITY: Bug Soother is used the most often by outdoor enthusiasts, kids, and pets. Some customers use Bug Soother on their farm animals such as horses and chickens. One even uses it for his tiger to ensure his pal is bug-free.
- BUG SOOTHER FAMILY GUARANTEE: Bug Soother is proudly made in America by Simply Soothing, a woman-owned family business in rural Iowa. We have been creating unique, handmade products for over 15 years, with an emphasis on high quality for a reasonable price. If for any reason you are unsatisfied with your Bug Soother, please contact us and we will be sure to make it right.
Additional Info :
Aunt Fannie’s Mosquito Spray with Essential Oils, 3.38 Fl Oz
Price: $8.99 ($8.99 / Count)
- Effective mosquito spray made with essential oils and no harsh chemicals
- Up to 4 hours of protection; safe for anyone 6 months and older when used as directed
- Powered by essential oils including peppermint, lemongrass, cedarwood, geranium, and citronella
- Goes on more like a dry body oil than a water-based spray; spray on and gently rub into the skin
- Apply evenly to exposed skin every 4 hours; use adult supervision when applying to children
Additional Info :
natural bug repellents are a great way to keep bugs at bay. They don’t contain any harsh chemicals that can harm your skin and they can be easily applied to any part of your body. Many people use these products because they have sensitive skin or allergies to certain ingredients in traditional bug-repellent products. These products are also safe for children, so you don’t have to worry about them getting sick while they are enjoying themselves outdoors.
You should always make sure that you read the instructions before applying any product to your skin, especially if it contains any essential oils. If you have any questions about how these products work or whether or not they would work for you, talk with your doctor or pharmacist before using them on yourself or anyone else in your family.