Bug repellents are the most common way to keep insects at bay during outdoor activities. They can be made from a wide range of ingredients, including essential oils, plant-based oils, and extracts, but the main ingredient is DEET. DEET is an effective insect repellent that works by blocking the receptors in the antennae of insects. It has been used for decades as a treatment for biting and stinging insects, but it can be harmful to humans if misused.
Essential oils are found in plants and contain chemical compounds that have a number of different uses. Some of these compounds have been shown to repel insects and other pests without causing harm to humans or animals. There are many different kinds of essential oils available today, each with its own unique scent and properties.
It’s time to ditch the chemical-laden bug spray and opt for a natural, more effective alternative. Did you know that some of the most effective bug repellents are made with essential oils? Essential oils have been used for centuries to repel pests and protect against disease. In fact, they’re such a powerful weapon against bugs that some people simply dab a few drops on their skin to keep mosquitos away.
But why stop there? There are a lot of different ways you can use essential oils as natural bug repellents, and they don’t require you to put toxic chemicals directly on your skin.
Why Use Natural Bug Repellent With Essential Oils?
Essential oils are stronger than chemicals because they contain up to 100 times more active ingredients than conventional bug sprays. They also work faster: in some cases, you can feel the effects within seconds. This means that if you’re looking for an immediate solution for insect bites or other skin irritations, these natural alternatives will be much better than conventional repellents.
How Do You Make Natural Insect Repellent With Essential Oils?
Insects are pesky and annoying, but they can also carry harmful diseases. It is important to protect yourself from insects when you go outdoors. Here are some easy ways to make your own homemade insect repellent.
The first thing that you need is a spray bottle filled with water. You can also use a pump bottle if you prefer it over a spray bottle. Next, add 20 drops of lemon eucalyptus oil to the water in the spray bottle or pump bottle. You can substitute lemongrass oil if you do not have any lemon eucalyptus oil on hand. However, both of these essential oils help repel mosquitoes and other insects so they should both work equally well in this recipe.
Next, add 15 drops of citronella oil to the water in the spray bottle or pump bottle along with 10 drops of lavender oil. Again you can substitute geranium and/or peppermint oils instead of lavender if desired but I find that lavender smells better than either geranium or peppermint so I recommend using it at least once before trying out another option.
What is the Best Essential Oil to Repel Bugs?
The best essential oil to repel bugs is lavender. This is because it has a strong aroma that bugs do not like, it is safe for humans and pets, and it is easy to find at most stores. The lavender essential oil comes from the flowers of the lavender plant, and it has been used for centuries as an insect repellent. The plant’s strong smell can keep insects away for hours or days, depending on how much oil you use.
If you want to repel bugs from your home or garden, try using lavender essential oil around windows, doors, and other areas where pests like to enter in order to keep them out of your living space. You can also add a few drops of lavender essential oil into a spray bottle of water and spritz this around plants where pests like to eat so they won’t be able to get at them.
When using lavender essential oil as an insect repellent, make sure that you are careful not to inhale too much of the scent because it may cause headaches or dizziness in some people if they breathe too deeply while applying it directly onto their skin or clothes.
Doterra Essential Oils for Mosquito Repellent
The best way to get rid of mosquitoes is to keep them away from you. With Doterra essential oils, you can do just that.
Mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide and lactic acid, so if you have any sources of these compounds nearby, they’ll likely be drawn to that location. Citronella, eucalyptus, lemongrass, peppermint, and rosemary are all great choices for repelling mosquitoes because they contain high levels of these compounds.
But if you really want to keep your home free from mosquitoes, try using a diffuser with essential oils. For example: if you’re going outside on a hot day and know there are lots of mosquitoes out there waiting to attack you as soon as they get the chance then use one of these oils in the diffuser before heading out into the world. The smell will mask your own scent (which attracts mosquitoes) while fighting off those pesky bloodsuckers.
Essential Oil Mosquito Repellent Diffuser
Essential oils are naturally anti-bacterial and anti-viral. They’ll also help with allergies and asthma. And if that’s not enough reason to use them, they have a long list of other benefits as well: they can help regulate body temperature when you’re feeling too hot or too cold; they help improve mental clarity; they have anti-inflammatory properties; and more.
A diffuser is the best way to get all these benefits without having to spray or rub anything on yourself (or anyone else). Just fill up your diffuser with water and add a few drops of essential oil (we recommend lavender) and turn it on. It’ll spread throughout your home, keeping mosquitos away while improving your mood at the same time.
The Essential Oil Mosquito Repellent Diffuser is an essential oil diffuser that keeps mosquitoes away. It uses a combination of citronella, lemongrass, and rosemary to repel the insects before they even get near you.
This is a great solution for those who love hanging out on their porch but don’t want to be bothered by mosquitoes. It’s also great for camping trips where you may not have access to bug spray or repellent candles.
List of Natural Bug Repellents With Essential Oils
Bug repellents have been around for a long time. They are used to protect you from insects that can transmit diseases and cause allergic reactions. They are applied on the skin or sprayed on clothes before going outdoors. There are many types of bug repellents available, but some are better than others at keeping bugs away. Here is a list of natural bug repellents with essential oils.
UpNature Bug Away Essential Oil Blend – 100% Pure & Natural Insect, Mosquito & Bug Repellent Spray with Citronella Essential Oil, Rosemary & Peppermint – DEET Free, Travel Size Bug Spray, 2oz
Price: $14.99 ($7.50 / Fl Oz)
- THOUGHTFULLY DESIGNED INSECT REPELLENT – UpNature’s Citronella Blend Insect Repellent Spray includes a mix of 8 naturally-derived essential oils. Repel insects with essential oil benefits like hydrating and toning skin, relieving itching, and more.
- ALL-NATURAL INGREDIENTS – Blended with citronella oil, rosemary oil, lemongrass, peppermint, Thyme, and spearmint, repel insects and smell good too. This mosquito repellent outdoor spray is 100% DEET Free bug spray. No dyes, no synthetic fragrances, and no harsh chemicals.
- TAKE IT ANYWHERE – Perfect camping essentials. Whether you’re fishing, hiking, golfing, or enjoying the sunshine in your backyard, this 2 oz bug spray travel-size bottle has you covered. Make the outdoors yours again with a natural bug and insect spray that’s safe for everyone.
- HOW TO USE – Shake before use. Spray on exposed skin from a distance of 8-12 inches and let it dry. Re-apply as needed. If applying on the face, spray into hands first then gently apply. Store at room temperature in a cool, dry area.
- WE ARE UPNATURE – Always pure and potent, UpNature products are 100% pure and natural with no dilution or added fragrances. Your satisfaction is our ultimate goal. That’s why all UpNature products adhere to our strict quality standards.
Additional Info :
Victoria’s Lavender Organic “Don’t Bug Me” Insect Spray, Made with Plant-Based Essential Oils & Aloe Vera … (4 oz Single)
Price: $14.99 ($14.99 / Count)
- WE’RE BACK. Our popular bug repellent is once again available on Amazon. Made for the WHOLE FAMILY as well as pets (including dogs and horses). Finally a DEET-free mosquito repellent you can feel good about using.
- IT WORKS. Our “Don’t Bug Me” bug spray is highly effective on a variety of insects including mosquitos, flies, ticks, and horse and deer flies. Don’t take chances on insects ruining your vacation. Take Victoria’s Lavender “Don’t Bug Me” spray with you wherever you go. 4 oz recyclable bottle with sprayer
- SHAKE WELL before each use. This formula made with essential oils plus organic Aloe Vera is soothing and cooling and is not oily, greasy, or sticky. Lasts up to 6 hours. Extra protection apply also to clothing.
- OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES – Whether camping, gardening, outdoor dining, hiking, or at an outdoor wedding or concert our refreshingly scented insect repellent is a must-have.
Additional Info :
Murphy’s Naturals Lemon Eucalyptus Oil Insect Repellent Spray | DEET Free | Plant Based, All Natural Ingredients | Mosquito and Tick Repellent | 2 Ounce Pump Spray | 3 Pack
Price : $18.99 ($9.50 / Fl Oz)
- Protects Against Mosquitoes for up to 6 Hours: Without any nasty chemicals like DEET, you’ll have up to 6 hours of worry-free protection on your next adventure
- Protects Against Ticks for up to 4 Hours: Our specially formulated spray provides protection against deer ticks for up to 4 hours, as well as lone star and brown dog ticks for up to 8 hours
- Harness the Power of Natural Plant-Based Ingredients: 30% Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus, 70% Distilled Water and Ethanol made from Corn
- Doesn’t Harm Gear: Spray on your skin or gear, and enjoy the natural power from the only plant-based repellent recommended by the CDC
- No Dyes, No Synthetic Fragrances, No Harsh Chemicals
Additional Info :
Wondercide – Mosquito, Tick, Fly, and Insect Repellent with Natural Essential Oils – DEET-Free Plant-Based Bug Spray and Killer – Safe for Kids, Babies, and Family – Peppermint 2-Pack of 4 oz Bottle
Price: $23.98 ($23.98 / Count)
- REPELS & PROTECTS. Powered by Wondercide’s proven-to-work spray formula that repels 98% of mosquitoes, this insect repellent spray is a safe, effective control method for repelling bugs. In addition to being a plant-based mosquito repeller, this spray will kill and repel hundreds of common pests, such as gnats, ticks, fleas, no-see-ums, spiders, and other biting flies.
- GENTLE ON KIDS, EASY TO USE. Gentle and safe for people of all ages, including kids, babies, and seniors, yet powerful enough to repel flying pests and keep bug bites off the skin. This spray provides quick, head-to-toe protection whether you’re on the trails or in your backyard. Just spray on and stay protected.
- DEET-FREE & VERSATILE. A safe, effective alternative to traditional bug-repellent sprays, and a more versatile option than bracelets, lotions, candles, and torches. Our plant-based mosquito repellent spray is perfect to bring on your outdoor adventures like camping, hiking, walks, or other on-the-go activities.
- NO NASTY INGREDIENTS. Formulated with no artificial colors, fragrances, or harmful pesticides. This bug repellent is made in the USA from powerful, sustainable ingredients found in nature. Cruelty-free and biodegradable.
- POWERED BY NATURE, AS POWERFUL AS DEET. Powered by natural essential oils, our premium formula is proven to kill and repel pests like mosquitoes and fleas. Safe for use on adults, children, and pets when used as directed. DEET-free.
Additional Info :
3 Moms Organics TickWise | 8oz Extra Strength, DEET- Free, Tick and Insect Repellent | Plant Based Essential Oils and All Natural Ingredients | Safe for Kids, Adults, Dogs and Horses
Price : $16.99 ($2.12 / Fl Oz)
- We are 100% EPA compliant.
- STRONG & PROVEN EFFECTIVE TickWise is proven to be 100% effective at 2 hrs for ticks and 1.75 hrs for mosquitoes in both laboratory and field testing. TickWise is made with all-natural, pure, therapeutic-grade essential oils. Developed and produced by Moms that care immensely.
- Great for Families, Dogs, Horses, and Any Activity Outside
- Vegan ~ Soy, Nut, Gluten, and Dairy Free
Additional Info :
We believe that the natural bug repellent with essential oils is the best because it contains all of the ingredients that are known to be effective at repelling bugs and insects. The ingredients are also all-natural, which means that they won’t cause any harm to humans or animals. The product will also not irritate your skin or eyes, so you can use it even if you have sensitive skin. We hope that this article has helped you decide which product is right for you.