When we talk about the best bug repellent, most of us think of the chemical-based products we buy in stores. But have you ever considered using essential oils to repel bugs? Some scents are known to keep mosquitoes and other pests away, so why not give them a try?
It’s true that there are some essential oils that can serve as insect repellents. The best part is that they’re all-natural and made from plants and herbs, so they won’t harm your body or the environment. If you want to know more about these natural alternatives to commercial bug repellents, keep reading.
Bug repellent is one of the most important things you can pack for a camping trip. Whether you are camping in your backyard or on a multi-day hiking trip, bugs can be a real nuisance.
You can use essential oils to create your own natural bug repellent that will keep the bugs away and give you an aromatherapy experience while you do it. The great thing about this recipe is that it’s super easy to make, and it only requires three ingredients: witch hazel, lavender essential oil, and peppermint essential oil.
This recipe makes enough bug spray to fill up two spray bottles, which should last you a few weeks if used daily. You can also add other essential oils like citronella or lemongrass if you want an extra kick of protection from mosquitoes and other flying insects.
What Essential Oils Will Keep Bugs Away?
Mosquitoes and other bugs can be a nuisance. They can carry diseases, bite you, and ruin your outdoor festivities. Essential oils are an effective way to keep them away from your home, yard, and body.
Essential Oils That Repel Bugs
Cedarwood oil has been widely used as a natural bug repellent for years. It works by releasing a scent that is similar to the smell of cedar trees, which many bugs do not like. You can use it on your skin or around your house to keep mosquitoes away from you. The scent will fade after a few hours so you don’t have to worry about smelling like an evergreen tree all day long.
Peppermint oil is another essential oil that repels bugs because it smells similar to minty freshness, something that bugs do not like at all. This essential oil will also help freshen up your breath since it contains menthol, which acts as an antiseptic and kills germs in your mouth. You can use this essential oil by diffusing or adding it directly into the water for easy application onto exposed skin areas such as ankles or wrists before going outside for an evening walk around town during summer months when mosquitoes are most active during daylight (when they feed).
Eucalyptus essential oil has similar properties and can also be used as an insect repellent. If you don’t want to smell like eucalyptus all day long, try using it in conjunction with other scents like lavender or peppermint.
Geranium essential oil is another good option for keeping bugs away because it smells nice but also has antiseptic properties that can help prevent infection if one bites you anyway (it happens).
How Do You Make Bug Repellent With Essential Oils?
Bug repellent is a must-have for anyone who spends time outdoors during the summer months, but commercial products can be expensive, and many contain harmful chemicals that you might want to avoid. Luckily, you can make your own bug repellent with essential oils that are both safe and effective.
First, mix together a few drops of lavender and peppermint oil. Lavender has been shown to deter mosquitos, while peppermint is an effective deterrent against ticks, fleas, chiggers, and other biting insects.
Next, add a few drops of lemongrass oil to help keep bugs away from your skin when you’re in the sun. Lemongrass has antibacterial properties that can help prevent infections from bites or stings.
Finally, add about five drops of eucalyptus oil to the mix, eucalyptus will repel gnats and flies.
Combine all three oils in a small spray bottle before heading outside this summer.
What Is the Best Homemade Insect Repellent?
The best homemade insect repellent is one that you can make yourself. There are many different types of insect repellents, but they all have common ingredients. The most important ingredient in any type of homemade insect repellent is DEET. DEET can be found in most commercial products and is not only used as an insect repellent but also as a mosquito repellent.
The next ingredient in any good homemade insect repellent is coconut oil, which has been proven to repel insects by preventing them from biting you. Coconut oil also helps to moisturize your skin and keep it soft even during the hottest days of summer.
There are also many other essential oils that are known for their ability to repel insects such as citronella, lemongrass, lavender, cedarwood, and eucalyptus oil. You can add these essential oils to your own homemade insect repellent by using them individually or mixing them together into one bottle of spray.
If you want something that smells better than just plain old DEET then consider adding peppermint essential oil to your homemade bug spray. Peppermint essential oil has been shown to help keep mosquitoes away because they hate the smell of menthol which comes from peppermint extract.
What Essential Oil Is a Natural Mosquito Repellent?
The essential oil of lavender is an effective natural mosquito repellent. It’s also a great addition to homemade bug spray, as well as a way to create your own homemade beauty products and aromatherapy blends.
Lavender is an herb that grows in many parts of the world, including Europe, Asia, Africa, and North America. Lavender has been used for centuries as a medicinal herb, and it has a sweet smell that is often used in perfumes and colognes.
Lavender oil contains chemical compounds called terpenes that are found in many other plants and flowers. These terpenes give lavender its distinctive smell and also make it useful as an insect repellent. Terpenes can be toxic to insects at high concentrations but are non-toxic to humans at low concentrations.
Lavender oil has been studied extensively for its ability to repel mosquitoes, flies, and other insects that carry diseases like West Nile virus or dengue fever. Studies have shown that lavender oil can reduce mosquito bites by up to 70 percent when applied directly on the skin before going outdoors or sleeping outdoors overnight during peak mosquito season (June through September).
list of Natural Essential Oils Bug Repellent
There are plenty of oils that have insect-repelling properties, including citronella, lemongrass, cedarwood, and peppermint. These oils can be used on their own or mixed together to create a custom blend that works best for your needs. And they’re super easy to use, just rub them on your skin,
UpNature Bug Away Essential Oil Blend – 100% Pure & Natural Insect, Mosquito & Bug Repellent Spray with Citronella Essential Oil, Rosemary & Peppermint – DEET Free, Travel Size Bug Spray, 2oz
Price: $14.99 ($7.50 / Fl Oz)
- THOUGHTFULLY DESIGNED INSECT REPELLENT – UpNature’s Citronella Blend Insect Repellent Spray includes a mix of 8 naturally-derived essential oils. Repel insects with essential oil benefits like hydrating and toning skin, relieving itching, and more.
- ALL-NATURAL INGREDIENTS – Blended with citronella oil, rosemary oil, lemongrass, peppermint, Thyme, and spearmint, repel insects and smell good too. This mosquito repellent outdoor spray is 100% DEET Free bug spray. No dyes, no synthetic fragrances, and no harsh chemicals.
- TAKE IT ANYWHERE – Perfect camping essentials. Whether you’re fishing, hiking, golfing, or enjoying the sunshine in your backyard, this 2 oz bug spray travel-size bottle have you covered. Make the outdoors yours again with a natural bug and insect spray that’s safe for everyone.
- HOW TO USE – Shake before use. Spray on exposed skin from a distance of 8-12 inches and let it dry. Re-apply as needed. If applying on the face, spray into hands first then gently apply. Store at room temperature in a cool, dry area.
- WE ARE UPNATURE – Always pure and potent, UpNature products are 100% pure and natural with no dilution or added fragrances. Your satisfaction is our ultimate goal. That’s why all UpNature products adhere to our strict quality standards.
Additional Info :
Victoria’s Lavender Organic “Don’t Bug Me” Insect Spray, Made with Plant-Based Essential Oils & Aloe Vera … (4 oz Single)
Price: $14.99 ($14.99 / Count)
- WE’RE BACK, Our popular bug repellent is once again available on Amazon. Made for the WHOLE FAMILY as well as pets (including dogs and horses). Finally a DEET-free mosquito repellent you can feel good about using.
- IT WORKS. Our “Don’t Bug Me” bug spray is highly effective on a variety of insects including mosquitos, flies, ticks, and horse and deer flies. Don’t take chances on insects ruining your vacation. Take Victoria’s Lavender “Don’t Bug Me” spray with you wherever you go. 4 oz recyclable bottle with sprayer
- SHAKE WELL before each use. This formula made with essential oils plus organic Aloe Vera is soothing and cooling and is not oily, greasy, or sticky. Lasts up to 6 hours. Extra protection apply also to clothing.
- OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES – Whether camping, gardening, outdoor dining, hiking, or at an outdoor wedding or concert our refreshingly scented insect repellent is a must-have.
Additional Info :
Murphy’s Naturals Lemon Eucalyptus Oil Insect Repellent Spray | DEET Free | Plant Based, All Natural Ingredients | Mosquito and Tick Repellent | 2 Ounce Pump Spray | 3 Pack
Price: $18.99 ($9.50 / Fl Oz)
- Protects Against Mosquitoes for up to 6 Hours: Without any nasty chemicals like DEET, you’ll have up to 6 hours of worry-free protection on your next adventure
- Protects Against Ticks for up to 4 Hours: Our specially formulated spray provides protection against deer ticks for up to 4 hours, as well as lone star and brown dog ticks for up to 8 hours
- Harness the Power of Natural Plant-Based Ingredients: 30% Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus, 70% Distilled Water and Ethanol made from Corn
- Doesn’t Harm Gear: Spray on your skin or gear, and enjoy the natural power from the only plant-based repellent recommended by the CDC
- No Dyes, No Synthetic Fragrances, No Harsh Chemicals
Additional Info :
Wondercide – Mosquito, Tick, Fly, and Insect Repellent with Natural Essential Oils – DEET-Free Plant-Based Bug Spray and Killer – Safe for Kids, Babies, and Family – Peppermint 2-Pack of 4 oz Bottle
Price: $23.98 ($23.98 / Count)
- REPELS & PROTECTS. Powered by Wondercide’s proven-to-work spray formula that repels 98% of mosquitoes, this insect repellent spray is a safe, effective control method for repelling bugs. In addition to being a plant-based mosquito repeller, this spray will kill and repel hundreds of common pests, such as gnats, ticks, fleas, no-see-ums, spiders, and other biting flies.
- GENTLE ON KIDS, EASY TO USE. Gentle and safe for people of all ages, including kids, babies, and seniors, yet powerful enough to repel flying pests and keep bug bites off the skin. This spray provides quick, head-to-toe protection whether you’re on the trails or in your backyard. Just spray on and stay protected.
- DEET-FREE & VERSATILE. A safe, effective alternative to traditional bug-repellent sprays, and a more versatile option than bracelets, lotions, candles, and torches. Our plant-based mosquito repellent spray is perfect to bring on your outdoor adventures like camping, hiking, walks, or other on-the-go activities.
- NO NASTY INGREDIENTS. Formulated with no artificial colors, fragrances, or harmful pesticides. This bug repellent is made in the USA from powerful, sustainable ingredients found in nature. Cruelty-free and biodegradable.
- POWERED BY NATURE, AS POWERFUL AS DEET. Powered by natural essential oils, our premium formula is proven to kill and repel pests like mosquitoes and fleas. Safe for use on adults, children, and pets when used as directed. DEET-free.
Additional Info :
3 Moms Organics TickWise | 8oz Extra Strength, DEET- Free, Tick and Insect Repellent | Plant Based Essential Oils and All Natural Ingredients | Safe for Kids, Adults, Dogs, and Horses
Price: $16.99 ($2.12 / Fl Oz)
- We are 100% EPA compliant.
- STRONG & PROVEN EFFECTIVE TickWise is proven to be 100% effective at 2 hrs for ticks and 1.75 hrs for mosquitoes in both laboratory and field testing. TickWise is made with all-natural, pure, therapeutic-grade essential oils. Developed and produced by Moms that care immensely.
- Great for Families, Dogs, Horses, and Any Activity Outside
- Vegan ~ Soy, Nut, Gluten, and Dairy Free
Additional Info :
Essential oils are a great alternative to toxic bug sprays. They smell better, they’re more natural, and they’re safer for you and the environment.
If you’ve been using chemical-based bug repellents for years, it can be hard to break your addiction to them. But if you can get past that, there are so many benefits to switching over to essential oils for insect protection.
Essential oils don’t just repel bugs, they also have other benefits such as soothing skin irritations and helping with sleep. With all the health benefits of using essential oils instead of chemical bug repellents, it’s time to ditch those toxic products.