The patio is your home’s front porch. It’s the place you hang out with friends and family, it’s where you grill up a steak and make s’mores. The patio is where you let loose, relax, and enjoy life.
But what if there was something in the air that prevented you from doing any of those things? What if there was a fly that was so persistent, it wouldn’t go away? What if that fly was also huge and gross-looking? And what if it didn’t just buzz around your head, what if it bit you?
Imagine this happening on your patio. Imagine being unable to sit outside without getting bitten by flies or having disgusting flies buzzing around your food.
A patio is a great place to relax and enjoy the fresh air. But when there are flies buzzing around and landing on your food, it can be hard to relax. You don’t have to put up with this annoyance any longer.
The best way to deal with flies is to prevent them from coming near you. And the best way to do that is with a safe, natural fly repellent for the patio.
Natural fly repellents are an effective and safe alternative to chemical-based sprays and lotions. They contain no harmful chemicals or pesticides, so they’re safe for both kids and pets. They also smell great, and they won’t leave any residue on your patio furniture or deck.
Why Is My Patio Full of Flies?
A patio full of flies is a common sight, but it’s not always a sure sign that there are pests in your home. There are many reasons why you might see a mass of flies buzzing around your patio, and they’re all pretty gross.
First, you have to consider what’s happening outside. If there’s been a lot of rain recently, the water may have pooled on your patio and become stagnant, creating the perfect environment for mosquitoes to lay their eggs. If you notice an abundance of mosquitoes or gnats in your yard, then it could be just too wet for them to live comfortably elsewhere.
If there’s no reason for them to be there except that they’re looking for food and shelter, then you should look at what else could be attracting them. If there are rotting fruit or vegetables lying around on the ground near your home, then flies will be more likely to land there than anywhere else. One last thing: if your garbage can isn’t properly sealed, then it can attract flies as well.
How Do I Keep Flies off My Patio Naturally?
Keeping flies off your patio naturally is easy. The key is to understand where they are coming from, and then take precautions to make sure they cannot come onto your property.
First of all, you need to know that flies are attracted to light. If there is a window on your patio, make sure it is closed at night. If there are lights around the area, turn them off. If there are streetlights near your home, try to cover them up with some kind of shade or material like plastic sheeting.
If you have a door leading outside from your house that opens up into the backyard, keep it shut at night. The same goes for any other doors on your property, just make sure they’re all closed before going to bed.
Another trick is to put out fly traps around your home: either red ones that attract fruit flies or yellow ones that attract house flies (or both). These traps will catch the flies and hold them in until they die, which means less fly poop on everything.
Finally, if there happens to be any standing water on your property (like rainwater in gutters), make sure it gets drained away every day so that no algae grows in there and attracts more flies.
What Is the Best Homemade Fly Repellent?
Homemade fly repellent is a great way to keep those pesky bugs away. It’s easy to make and it works on many different types of flies, so you can feel confident that your homemade fly repellent is safe for you and your family.
Here are some of our favorite homemade fly repellents:
If you love the smell of citronella candles but hate having to light them all the time, this is the perfect solution. Citronella oil is a great way to keep mosquitoes at bay without lighting a candle or using harsh chemicals around your home. It’s also very affordable, so if you have some extra time on your hands then this could be a good option for you.
Lemon Juice/Lemon Slices
Lemon juice or slices are another great way to deter mosquitoes from coming near you when they smell it nearby. You can either put lemon slices in bowls around your house or even squeeze some lemon juice into spray bottles with water so that it will last longer than just dropping a slice on the ground every few minutes (which isn’t practical). Either way works well though.
What Smell Will Keep Flies Away?
Flies are only a nuisance when they are buzzing around your face, but they can also be a serious health hazard. If you have a fly infestation at home, it is important to know what smells will repel them.
Most of the time, the smell of vinegar works well to deter flies. You can use it as an aerosol spray or dilute some in water and use it as a room freshener or clean surfaces. The smell of vinegar is strong enough to keep flies away without being overpowering.
Another option is cedar oil, which has been shown to repel flies from places like barns and stables where there are animals living inside. This oil has a strong odor that many insects find offensive, so it can be used on furniture or clothing if needed.
The smell of peppermint and spearmint is often considered to be the most effective way to keep flies away. The strong odor will not only attract flies but also repel them. In addition, it can be used as an insecticide, which means that it will kill the fly when it lands on it.
Another option is to use a scent that flies are naturally attracted to, such as fruit or flowers. This could work in conjunction with the peppermint/spearmint scent if you want something more subtle. However, many people find this method less effective than using peppermint or spearmint alone because some insects may be drawn to them instead of repelled by them.
list of Natural Fly Repellent For Patios
Patios are a wonderful place to enjoy the outdoors. They’re a great space for parties, barbecues, and just hanging out with friends and family. But what if your patio is overrun with flies? It’s not fun to be enjoying a nice day on your patio when suddenly you’re attacked by flies.
Luckily, there are some natural fly repellents that can help you keep those pesky insects away from your patio. Here’s a list of our favorites:
Mintronella – All Natural 100 Stick Pack Mosquito Sticks. U.S.A Made / No See Ums – Gnats – Flies / Outdoor Incense Bug Sticks – Lemongrass, Citronella + Peppermint Oil – RV – Camping – Patio.
Price: $16.99 ($0.17 / Count)
- Our All Natural Mintronella Bamboo Brown Mosquito Sticks are made from Natural Ingredients of Lemongrass oil, Citronella Oil, and Peppermint Oil.
- 100 Sticks Per Pack. 11 Inches Long. Sticks are BROWN, not Dark Green. We Removed the Synthetic Dye from Manufacturing to be Natural in Color.
- Burn 30 to 45 Minutes Each on average
- Place lowest to the ground when possible. Place in planters flower beds and grassy spots for best results in a 10-foot perimeter.
- Made In America. Local Veteran Owned and Operated In Suwannee County Florida.
- Helps to Deter Mosquitoes – Gnats- No See Ums – And other Flying Pests
Additional Info :
Wondercide – Mosquito, Tick, Fly, and Insect Repellent with Natural Essential Oils – DEET-Free Plant-Based Bug Spray and Killer – Safe for Kids, Babies, and Family – Lemongrass 2-Pack of 4 oz Bottle
Price: $23.98 ($3.00 / Fl Oz)
- REPELS & PROTECTS. Powered by Wondercide’s proven-to-work spray formula that repels 98% of mosquitoes, this insect repellent spray is a safe, effective control method for repelling bugs. In addition to being a plant-based mosquito repeller, this spray will kill and repel hundreds of common pests, such as gnats, ticks, fleas, no-see-ums, spiders, and other biting flies.
- GENTLE ON KIDS, EASY TO USE. Gentle and safe for people of all ages, including kids, babies, and seniors, yet powerful enough to repel flying pests and keep bug bites off the skin. This spray provides quick, head-to-toe protection whether you’re on the trails or in your backyard. Just spray on and stay protected.
- DEET-FREE & VERSATILE. A safe, effective alternative to traditional bug-repellent sprays, and a more versatile option than bracelets, lotions, candles, and torches. Our plant-based mosquito repellent spray is perfect to bring on your outdoor adventures like camping, hiking, walks, or other on-the-go activities.
- NO NASTY INGREDIENTS. Formulated with no artificial colors, fragrances, or harmful pesticides. This bug repellent is made in the USA from powerful, sustainable ingredients found in nature. Cruelty-free and biodegradable.
- POWERED BY NATURE, AS POWERFUL AS DEET. Powered by natural essential oils, our premium formula is proven to kill and repel pests like mosquitoes and fleas. Safe for use on adults, children, and pets when used as directed. DEET-free.
Additional Info :
60 Pack Mosquito Repellent Incense Sticks Outdoors & Patio, Natural Plant Based Citronella Incense Sticks for Insect, Bug, Fly, and Gnat, and Mosquito Killer for Outside
Price: $11.99 ($0.20 / Count)
- Safe for family and pets: our mosquito repellent incense sticks outdoors are made with natural plants, and our citronella mosquito killer and bug repellent outdoors are completely deet free. Fly killers and bug killers are safe for all family members and pets.
- Easy to use: place our mosquito-repellent citronella incense sticks around your perimeter anti-mosquito sticks. Keep mosquito sticks and gnat killers as low to the ground as possible for better kill mosquitoes. And you can stick mosquito and gnat killers in flower pots or on the soil.
- Natural refreshing scent: our natural plant outdoor mosquito control repeller citronella sticks produce a light, natural, refreshing scent when our mosquito repellent citronella incense sticks burn. Mosquito repellent can relieve your pressure and let you have a good mood.
- Perfect for any outdoor activity: ideal mosquito repellent for patio while outdoors, you can use our mosquito and bug killer whether at home on the patio, deck, or backyard; at the park, beach, or pool deck; while camping, fishing or enjoying any other outdoor events.
- After-sales service: any questions about our mosquito killer and bug repellent incense sticks for the patio & outdoors, just take it easy to contact us. We’re not just talking about it, we’re actually helping you solve problems.
Additional Info :
SEEKBIT 90 Pack Mosquito Incense Repellent Sticks, Mosquito Repellent for Outdoor, Citronella Incense Sticks Plant Based, Non Toxic DEET Free, Natural Bug Fly Repellent Sticks for Yard Patio Picnic
Price: $9.99 ($0.11 / Count)
- EFFECTIVE MOSQUITO REPELLENT FOR OUTDOORS: Whether you are spending a weekend at the campsite or inviting friends and family over for a summer barbecue, many people prefer to spend the long summer days outdoors. SEEKBIT 90 PACK incense sticks are anti-mosquito, that deter mosquitoes, stop them from buzzing around and give you a relaxing moment outdoors.
- NATURAL INGREDIENT SAFE TO USE: Adopt 100% plant-repellent oils such as citronella, lemongrass, rosemary, cedarwood, and peppermint oil. DEET FREE and pet friendly.
- PORTABLE TO CARRY: The length of mosquito incense sticks is 12.2 inches, 90 pieces in total. Very convenient to carry with you during outdoor activities. It can effectively repel insects and effectively repel mosquitoes, bugs, and flies. Herbal ingredients can safely deter mosquitoes and have a long-lasting insect-repellent effect. Prevents buzzing insects and itchy bites.
- EASY TO USE: Place the incense sticks around your patio at a distance of about 12 feet. These incense sticks have a long burning time, about 30-45 minutes, wind may shorten the burning time. Extracted plant extracts, scientific formula, easy to light, stable burning, and no fire break off.
- PERFECT FOR YOUR OUTDOOR ACTIVITY: Early in the morning while working out in the garden, late in the evening while relaxing on the porch with a good book in hand. SEEKBIT mosquito repellent sticks cherish your time outdoors, whether on the patio, swimming pool, backyard, camping, picnic, fishing or just working in the garage during mosquito season.
Additional Info :
Wondercide – EcoTreat Ready-to-Use Outdoor Pest Control Spray with Natural Essential Oils – Mosquito, Ant, Insect Repellent, Treatment, and Killer – Plant-Based – Safe for Pets, Plants, Kids – 32 oz
Price: $34.99 ($34.99 / Count)
- KILLS & REPELS. A preventative and a treatment, this spray is a natural pest repellent and kills mosquitoes, ants, fleas, ticks, roaches, flies, scorpions, chiggers, crickets, chinch bugs, Japanese beetles, no-see-ums, gnats, and more. Safe alternative to conventional pesticide sprays, baits, ant granules, zappers, or foggers.
- SPRAY & PLAY. Safe around cats, dogs, and people of all ages, with no wait time for drying or reentry into sprayed outside areas. Just attach it directly to a garden hose, spray your backyard, and enjoy. Keep the bottle & Refill the sprayer with our Outdoor Pest Control Concentrate.
- TREATS UP TO 5,000 SQUARE FEET. A bug control spray that can be safely used on lawns, gardens, grass, picnic areas, playgrounds, patios, vegetables, flowers, siding, brick, paint, and more. Treat an existing pest infestation or prevention. Application coverage depends on water pressure and walking speed.
- NO HARSH CHEMICALS. No artificial colors, fragrances, or harsh pesticides. Made in the USA from powerful, sustainable plant-based ingredients. Cruelty-free and biodegradable. Keep the bottle & Refill the sprayer with our Outdoor Pest Control Concentrate.
- POWERED BY NATURE, AS POWERFUL AS PERMETHRIN. Powered by cedar oil, our eco-friendly formula is proven to kill and repel pests. Safe when sprayed outdoors around pets, kids, and beneficial insects like bees and butterflies. Permethrin-Free. Packaging may vary.
Additional Info :
It can be difficult to find a natural fly repellent that will work well on your patio. However, if you take the time to research products that are proven to be effective and safe, you will be able to find one quickly. Keep in mind that if you have pets or children, you should avoid using any chemicals on your patio, so look for natural repellents or products that are specifically designed for use around pets and children.
The best natural fly repellent for patios is a combination of citronella, lemongrass, and peppermint oil. This combination is more effective than citronella alone and can repel flies for up to three hours.
To make your own DIY spray, mix 1 teaspoon of each oil with 2 cups of water in a spray bottle. Shake well before applying it to any patio furniture you wish to protect from flies.