Mosquitos are pests, and not just for your yard. There are times in life when mosquitoes can become a real nuisance for humans too. Mosquitos can be stubborn and once they find their way into your bedroom, it is not easy to get rid of them. That is why people have started searching for natural ways of preventing ticks from getting into your skin. There are many methods of repelling mosquitoes, some include citronella torches and candles.
There are more than 3,000 species of mosquitoes out there – all of which can drive you mad. And not only do you have to deal with them at home, but when you go away, too. But I’ve got a trick to help keep the mozzies (and the itchy welts) away… all naturally.
In today’s post, we’re going to talk about one of the best ways to repel mosquitos. A lot of people still rely on over-the-counter repellents that can be toxic and expose you to harmful chemicals. But what if there were better options?
Don’t use store-bought mosquito repellent. It’s bad for your skin. The chemicals in these concoctions are so bad that they can actually cause skin damage. The thing with mosquitoes is that they have to have an open wound to infect you, so if you use these chemicals it still doesn’t hinder their ability to bite you and possibly help transmit diseases like Zika and West Nile.
What Keeps Mosquitoes Away From Biting You
The number one way to keep mosquitoes away from biting you is to avoid being out in the sun. The most common way that mosquitoes bite is during the day when they are out looking for a blood meal. If you’re not outside during this time, then you have no reason to worry about getting bitten by a mosquito. The only exception is if you go swimming or play outdoors during dusk or dawn.
Another way is to wear long sleeves and pants when outside. This will keep mosquitoes from getting close enough to bite you and will also protect your skin from any sun damage that can occur when exposed for too long.
If you do get bitten by a mosquito, there are a few things that can help reduce swelling and irritation: apply ice packs as soon as possible after being bitten; use antihistamines if needed; take an over-the-counter pain reliever like ibuprofen (Advil); apply aloe vera gel or calamine lotion; wash the area with soap and water; apply hydrocortisone cream (1% strength) twice daily until symptoms subside; drink plenty of water throughout the day; eat foods high in vitamins A and E (carrots, spinach, fish oil tablets).
How Do You Make Natural Mosquito Repellent For The Skin?
Mosquito repellent is a must-have for summer, especially if you live in a humid climate where mosquitoes thrive. One of the best ways to repel mosquitoes without using harsh chemicals is to make your own natural mosquito repellent. You can do this by combining essential oils and vegetable oil.
All you need are two bottles of essential oils and one bottle of vegetable oil. You can pick any two essential oils you like, but lavender and rosemary are recommended as they are both known for their anti-inflammatory properties. You will also need a small spray bottle with a fine mist nozzle to store your homemade mosquito repellent in.
Add 20 drops of each essential oil into the bottle with the vegetable oil, then give it a good shake to mix everything up well before storing it away in your purse or backpack for use when needed.
What Naturally Kills Mosquitoes On Contact?
Mosquitoes are a nuisance and can carry diseases that can be deadly. There are many ways to keep mosquitoes away from you, but the best way to keep them from biting is with natural products like citronella candles, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and other home remedies.
Mosquito bites can cause red bumps on your skin and itching. If you have sensitive skin or allergies, you may develop an infection. Mosquito bites can also transmit diseases like West Nile Virus, malaria, and dengue fever. These insects are attracted to carbon dioxide in your breath and body heat as well as lactic acid on your skin. They use these factors to find their next meal: human blood.
There are many ways to keep mosquitoes away from you without using chemicals or dangerous insecticides that can harm the environment. One of the best natural solutions for killing mosquitoes is citronella oil, which comes from a plant called Cymbopogon nardus (also known as lemongrass). This oil has been used for centuries in mosquito repellents because it smells sweet to humans but unpleasant to mosquitoes.
What Is The Most Effective Natural Mosquito Repellent
There are many natural mosquito repellents that can be used, but the most effective natural mosquito repellent is citronella.
Citronella is an herb that has been used for centuries to help keep away mosquitoes. Citronella oil is extracted from the leaves of lemon grass and lemongrass, which are tropical plants native to Asia and Africa.
The active ingredients in citronella oil are citronellol and geraniol. These compounds have a strong smell that mosquitoes find unpleasant. When you burn citronella candles or incense, it releases these compounds into the air and repels mosquitoes from coming near you.
Other plant-based oils that also have this effect include lavender, eucalyptus, peppermint, and catnip. All four of these oils can be combined with other essential oils such as cedarwood for a stronger effect against mosquitoes or kept separate for individual users depending on what you prefer.
DIY Natural Mosquito Repellent For Skin
There’s nothing worse than being outside, enjoying your life, and feeling that tell-tale itch on your skin, and then suddenly realizing that you’ve been bitten by a mosquito. It’s not just annoying, it can cause serious problems for people with allergies or skin conditions.
But there’s good news: There are lots of DIY natural mosquito repellents that you can make at home using ingredients like lemon juice and peppermint oil (which both have anti-inflammatory properties) or aloe vera gel (which is soothing). The best part is that they’re cheap and easy to make.
Mosquitoes are a big problem, especially during the summer. The last thing you want to do is spray yourself with an itchy repellent made with chemicals and god knows what else. You can make your own natural mosquito repellent that smells good and keeps the bugs away. All you need is olive oil, lemon essential oil, and lavender essential oil. It’s so easy to make that even a child could do it (but not recommended).
Natural Ways To Keep Mosquitoes Away
Mosquitoes are the bane of summertime, and they’re the bane of your life. They love to hang around you and bite you, but they don’t have to be so annoying. There are plenty of natural ways to keep them away, so you can enjoy your summer without having to worry about being attacked by these pests.
Keep Your Area Clean
The first thing you should do is clean up your yard and make sure it’s free from any standing water. Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water, so if there’s a puddle or pool of water in your yard (or even under a plant pot), then it’s likely that mosquitoes will start breeding there. The best way to prevent this from happening is simply by cleaning up your yard every now and then, if there aren’t any signs of water anywhere in your yard, then it’s less likely that mosquitoes will find their way over there.
list of Natural Mosquito Repellent For Skin
Mosquitoes are the deadliest animal on earth. They are responsible for more human deaths than any other creature. That’s why we need a natural mosquito repellent for skin that works, one that doesn’t have any harmful chemicals in it.
Repel Plant-Based Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent, Mosquito Repellent, Pump Spray, 4-Ounce, Pack of 2
Price: $15.90 ($1.99 / Fl Oz)
- MADE WITH OIL OF LEMON EUCALYPTUS: This DEET-free insect repellent provides you with protection during adventures in the backyard and on the go.
- REPELS MOSQUITOES FOR UP TO 6 HOURS: This repellent keeps you and your family protected for hours, so the fun doesn’t have to end.
- REFRESHING SCENT: This DEET-free personal repellent leaves you with a cool, refreshing scent so you don’t have to put up with the usual bug spray smell.
- REPELS: Create a barrier against mosquitoes, including those that may transmit the Zika, West Nile, Dengue, and Chikungunya viruses.
- NOT GREASY OR STICKY: Formulated with oil of lemon eucalyptus to provide protection without leaving your skin feeling sticky or greasy.
Additional Info :
Price: $4.68 ($1.17 / Fl Oz)
- REPELS MOSQUITOES: DEET-free formula repels mosquitoes, including those that may carry West Nile virus
- WITH OIL OF LEMON EUCALYPTUS: The active ingredient in Cutter Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent is derived from the leaves of the Lemon Eucalyptus tree
- REPELS MOSQUITOES THAT MAY CARRY WEST NILE VIRUS: Creates a barrier against annoying mosquitoes that can spoil the outdoors
- FRESH, CLEAN SCENT: Cool lemon eucalyptus scent – never feels oily or greasy
- LASTS UP TO 6 HOURS: Reapply once daily as needed (up to twice per day)
Additional Info :
Murphy’s Naturals Lemon Eucalyptus Oil Insect Repellent Spray | DEET Free | Plant Based, All Natural Ingredients | Mosquito and Tick Repellent | 4 Ounce Pump Spray | 2 Pack
Price: $21.99 ($2.75 / Fl Oz)
- Protects Against Mosquitoes for up to 6 Hours: Without any nasty chemicals like DEET, you’ll have up to 6 hours of worry-free protection on your next adventure
- Protects Against Ticks for up to 4 Hours: Our specially formulated spray provides protection against deer ticks for up to 4 hours, as well as lone star and brown dog ticks for up to 8 hours
- Harness the Power of Natural Plant-Based Ingredients: 30% Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus, 70% Distilled Water and Ethanol made from Corn
- Doesn’t Harm Gear: Spray on your skin or gear, and enjoy the natural power from the only plant-based repellent recommended by the CDC
- No Dyes, No Synthetic Fragrances, No Harsh Chemicals
Additional Info :
Price : $6.44 ($1.61 / Fl Oz)
- OFF! Botanicals Insect Repellent Spritz effectively repels mosquitoes, black flies, gnats, and no-see-ums
- Made with a plant-based active ingredient and contains no added dyes
- Pump spritz allows for easy application and won’t damage clothing or gear
- Proven to protect from mosquitoes* (Every OFF. brand insect repellent is evaluated to prove it repels mosquitoes when used as directed)
- Repels mosquitoes that may carry West Nile virus
Additional Info :
Price: $9.89 ($1.24 / Fl Oz)
- EFFECTIVE & SAFE: This repelling oil-based formula is DEET-free and GMO-free; good for sensitive skin. Use Herbal Armor DEET-Free Natural Insect Repellent to keep bugs away & enjoy the outdoors, naturally.
- DON’T LET BUGS KEEP YOU INDOORS: From camping or hiking to relaxing in the backyard, Herbal Armor is an effective & safe bug spray for the whole family. Also, it won’t spoil clothes or camping gear.
- PROTECT YOUR FAMILY: Avoid bug bites with this effective DEET-free insect repellent formula. Herbal Armor is environmentally friendly & non-irritating to the skin; perfect for active families & travelers.
- ACTIVE LIFESTYLE: Started by an outdoor enthusiast, All Terrain offers a broad line of safe & effective insect repellents, sunscreens, topical first aid & itch relief products using natural ingredients
- ALL TERRAIN: We are committed to providing safe & effective, environmentally-friendly, cruelty-free skincare protection products to help you & your family live active, healthy lives.
Additional Info :
Since mosquitoes bite at night, when you are asleep, you may not even know that you have been bitten until it’s too late. That is why it is important to protect yourself from mosquito bites by using mosquito repellents on your skin before going outdoors. The most effective way to repel mosquitoes is by using natural ingredients that are found in your kitchen or backyard.