You’re lying in your bed. You’re about to turn off your reading lamp when something weird happens: you feel a tiny pinch to the palm of your hand. “Probably just a bug,” you think, as you flick it away from you. But moments later, dozens upon dozens of tiny bugs begin biting the base of your neck and there, just above your toe. They must have came in through the air conditioning vent, that little squeeze hole that they find so tasty! You never saw it coming. Are you afraid of bed bug bites? We admit, bed bug bites are pretty scary. In a large community room, 65% of people fear the thought of getting bitten by this parasite! However, there are ways to protect yourself before getting infected. Bed bug bites can appear quite differently, depending on their location. To help you understand the possible versions better, I have taken several pictures to see what each type of bed bug bite looks like, at actual size. This should give you a better idea of what to look out for if you have such bites or do not know yet from what place they come and whether you have to worry about it being a bedbug bite or something else.
Bed Bug Bite Pictures Actual Size
Because of their flat bodies, bed bugs can hide everywhere.
Because of their flat bodies, bed bugs can hide everywhere. They can be found in many places:
- In the seams of mattresses and box springs
- Behind headboards and nightstands
- Under carpeting, especially where the wall meets the floor
- In cracks and crevices in walls or floors
They can get into almost any place people are.
Bed bugs have been known to hide in a lot of places, but they are most likely to be seen in places where people sleep. For example, bed bugs are more likely to be found in beds and couches than on the floor or in other furniture. The reason that they like these locations is because they can easily crawl into the cracks of these surfaces and find warmth. In order to get around, bed bugs need warmth; without it, their bodies will start shutting down and eventually die.
Bed bugs are also small enough that they can fit into small cracks between two pieces of furniture—even if those two pieces are inches apart! If you think about how big your mattress is compared with how many tiny crevices there are between your mattress and any other piece of furniture it touches (like a nightstand), you’ll realize just how easy it would be for a bug this size to go undetected by humans during its travels through your home.
Bites usually happen at night.
The bites usually happen at night when the bed bugs are feeding. They are nocturnal and prefer to hide in the seams of mattresses, furniture and other places during the day. If you have bed bug bites, they may look like mosquito or flea bites but will be redder and itchier than typical insect bites. Bed bug infestations are hard to control because of this pest’s ability to hide almost anywhere – even behind wallpaper!
Bed bug bites can look like other insect bites.
- Bed bug bites can look like other insect bites.
If you think that you have bed bugs, but the bite marks are not in a row or cluster, and not really itchy, then you might have been bitten by another type of insect. Lots of insects feed on humans and their bites can look similar to those left behind by bed bugs. The most common culprits are chiggers and mosquitoes, but wasps, ticks, spiders and fleas may also leave similar marks. If it’s not a bed bug bite then the pattern will be different from what we’ve shown here!
Bed bugs are hard to control.
Bed bugs can be hard to control. They can travel in your luggage, and they may be hiding in a mattress or other furniture. Bed bugs might also hide in vehicles, electronics and electrical outlets.
In order to keep bed bugs from spreading into your home, it is necessary that you check for signs of infestation immediately after returning from a trip. If you notice any bites on your body, contact an exterminator immediately for help.
Look for the bugs themselves or their bloodstains in seams and crevices of beds, box springs, and bed frames.
As you search for evidence of bed bugs, look for live or dead insects. They are about the size of an apple seed and can be brown, black or red in color. Bed bugs like to hide in seams of mattresses and box springs, but they also tend to congregate near the headboard and foot board which is why some people may find them there. They may also be found under wallpaper around your bed frame as well as in cracks in the walls or around windowsills.
You’re likely going to find that bed bug infestations are discovered by accident rather than purposeful searching because not all bites show up right away; some symptoms take as long as three months after exposure before showing up on your skin! Therefore it can be hard to determine how long a person has been bitten if they aren’t aware of what kind of bite marks look like on their bodies yet.
Try to see the bugs themselves.
In some cases, you may be able to see the bugs themselves.
If you are seeing bed bug bites on your body and want confirmation that they’re actually from bed bugs — or if you have a suspicion but aren’t sure whether it’s worth worrying about — then use a magnifying glass. Look for bloodstains as well as the bugs themselves (if they’re still alive). If there are any visible signs of bed bug infestation, then you should contact an exterminator immediately.
Check for rusty spots on bed sheets and mattresses.
If you notice rust colored spots on your sheets or mattress, this could be a sign of bed bug feces.
If the spots are small and dark red in color, it can be a sign that you have bed bugs. Bed bugs excrete blood when they bite humans and animals. The resulting blood stain looks like rust in color because of its iron content.
A bed bug bite can be hard to recognize, but you should always at least look out for any unusual marks on your body that may result from being bitten by a bug.
Bed bug bites are often hard to detect, but they can be recognized by the small red or purplish bumps they leave on your skin. Bed bugs feed by inserting their mouthparts into the skin of humans and other warm-blooded animals to get blood; this causes a bite mark that is usually in a line or cluster. They are typically found in beds, sofas, or furniture where people sleep or lay down.
- 3.5-ounce tube of Benadryl Extra-Strength Cooling Itch Stopping Anti-Itch Gel for fast cooling relief from skin pain and itching from most outdoor itches
- Provides relief from most outdoor itches associated with insect bites, sunburn, scrapes, minor skin irritations, burns, and minor cuts
- Soothing anti-itch gel also provides relief from itching associated with rashes caused by poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac
- Cooling gel formula contains 2% of the topical analgesic pain reliever diphenhydramine hydrochloride that works by blocking histamines to relieve itches associated with several ailments
- Intended for use by those ages 2 and up, soothing gel offers itch relief for kids and adults alike and is great to keep on hand during outdoor activities such as camping, hiking or taking a walk with the family
Additional Info :
- Removes insect venom, saliva, and other irritants left under the skin using suction
- By removing the irritant, the body stops producing the reaction that is causing you to itch & swell
- Works on: mosquitoes, bees, wasps, biting flies, no-see-ums, chiggers, sea lice & more
- Compact, lightweight, reusable and easy to carry
- Clinically Proven, kid friendly, 100% guarantee
Additional Info :
- Add a layer of protection to your clothing and gear with Permethrin insect and tick repellent spray — perfect for use on shirts, jackets, pants, socks, shoes, boots, sleeping bags, tents, netting, when outdoors, camping, hunting, or on travel
- Ideal for backpacking, backyard BBQs, and other outdoor activities, it’s effective against more than 55 kinds of insects — from disease-spreading ticks (Lyme disease) and mosquitoes (West Nile and Zika viruses) to chiggers, spiders, mites, and more
- Permethrin spray bonds to fabric fibers for up to 6 weeks or through 6 washings (whichever comes first) and won’t stain or damage clothing, fabrics, plastics, finished surfaces, or outdoor gear; odorless after drying
- Reduce likelihood of a tick bite by 73.6 times by treating shoes and socks with Permethrin (University of Rhode Island study – 2017)
- 24-ounce trigger spray bottle treats five complete outfits (updated EPA dosage is 4.5 ounces per outfit consisting of shirt, pants, and socks); maximize protection by pairing with Sawyer Picaridin topical repellent for the skin
Additional Info :
- DEET FREE, MADE WITH ESSENTIAL OILS – Our repellent bracelets are made with essential oils: Geraniol Oil, Lemongrass Oil and Citronella Oil. Essential oils have been found to repel mosquitoes.
- 10 RESEALABLE BAGS – Each mosquito repellent bracelet is individually wrapped in a resealable bag, keeping it fresh and increase the life span.
- ONE SIZE FITS ALL – Cliganic repellent bracelets are fully adjustable, stretchy and easily fits.
- PERFECT FOR OUTDOOR, WATERPROOF – Best for indoor, outdoor and travel. Keep it together with your picnic backpack accessories. Enjoy the outdoors without worrying about pesky mosquito bites. This mosquitoes repellent band is waterproof.
- CLIGANIC 90 DAYS WARRANTY, RISK FREE – no hassles, no questions, if you are not completely satisfied – simply return the item for a full refund.
Additional Info :
- ✅ CHEMICAL-FREE TREATMENT: Bite Away is an electronic device that provides symptomatic relief for bites and stings caused by insects such as mosquitoes, wasps and bees.
- ✅ FAST AND EASY TO USE: Choose a 3 or 5-second setting for fast relief from the itching, pain, and swelling caused by insect bites and stings.
- ✅ SUITABLE FOR EVERYONE: Bite Away’s chemical-free treatment is suitable for adults, children ages 2+*, expectant moms, and allergy sufferers. (*Self-application from 12 years of age.)
- ✅ PEACE OF MIND 2-YEAR WARRANTY: The Bite Away is an FDA-Cleared, class II medical device. As such, warranty is only available when purchased from BiteAway or a Bite Away authorized retailer
- ✅ SAFE & EFFECTIVE: Bite Away is FDA-Cleared, Dermatologist-Tested, and uses patented multi-level safety technology. It works by safely applying concentrated heat through the ceramic contact surface. Please note: the heat can be surprising and intense for some, but only lasts 3 or 5 seconds. Temperatures will only reach 128° which is cooler than an average sauna or cup of coffee.
Additional Info :