Crawlers of the night, bugs thrive in the darkness. These small creatures creep into our furniture, crevices and other objects we place in our home. At times, we have to deal with these blood-sucking bugs. We spray for them, put sticky traps for them and squish them whenever we see one. Today you might be wondering about these insects sporting an oval shaped silver shield with black dots on it. That’s a bed bug! A key difference between a bed bug and flea bite is that a flea lives off of animal blood and not human blood as bed bugs do. Bed bugs can be found all over the world, but they are becoming increasingly common in various areas of the world. Bed bugs are known for feeding on human blood during nights and hiding themselves to rest during the day. They tend to bite people in specific areas such as hands and feet, but people want to know if bed bugs and fleas can be distinguished from each other based on bites.Everyone knows that fleas can be a royal pain in the but. They feed on your blood, leaving itchy red bites in their wake. You take an anti-flea pill or buy a topical flea treatment to help you get rid of those pesky critters, but something is still biting you!
Bed Bug Bite Vs Flea Bite Pictures
How to tell flea bites vs bed bug bites
Bed bugs and fleas are two common pests that can cause red, itchy bites on your body. Bed bugs are tiny creatures that live in your home or workplace, while fleas live on pets and animals.
If you’re not sure whether your bites are from a bed bug or a flea, look for these signs:
- Look for insects. If you see a bug crawling around or laying eggs in an area where bites were found, this is another sign of bed bugs. Fleas don’t normally stay outside of an animal’s fur; they typically jump off after feeding on blood from dogs and cats.
- Examine the bite itself by trying to pull out whatever bit you with tweezers (if necessary) so that you can get a closer look at what caused it. If there’s any black residue left behind after removing the bite mark then this may indicate flea saliva; however since all insects have some sort of saliva in order to digest food this isn’t always 100% accurate way of determining whether someone has been bitten by either type insect!
- Take pictures if possible because sometimes it takes multiple days before we start noticing redness/itchiness around our wounds – which means we might want proof later on down he road when trying determine what caused those initial bumps!
Flea bites and bed bug bites are easy to distinguish once you know what to look for.
It’s easy to distinguish between flea bites and bed bug bites once you know what to look for. Fleas, like mosquitoes and ticks, have a single mouth part that pierces the skin and then injects saliva into the wound. This has a number of side effects including itching and swelling.
Bed bugs do not have mouths or wings so they cannot bite humans directly like fleas do. Instead, they must feed on blood from other animals such as cats or dogs before they can pass along any diseases to humans. When bed bugs attack people, bruises often appear in clusters because there are multiple insects feeding on one person at once instead of just one insect at a time like with fleas.
This video will help explain how these two insects affect humans differently:
Flea bite vs bed bug bite symptoms
The most common difference between a flea bite and a bed bug bite is the appearance. While fleas are insect-sized, they have big pincers that allow them to latch onto skin and cause red welts, creating a visible welt on the skin. Bed bugs do not have pincers, but instead their bites leave puncture marks in their victim’s skin. The resulting marks are painless and itchy for both fleas and bed bugs, but differ in appearance:
- Flea bites occur in clusters
- Bed bug bites are usually grouped together or in lines across your body
Flea bites symptoms
If you notice small red bumps on your skin, it could be flea bites. Flea bites are commonly found around the ankles and lower back, but they can also appear in other locations.
Flea bites are typically red dots that may itch and become swollen. The bites often appear in clusters, which can further increase their appearance of being infected or irritated.
Although they appear to be similar to mosquito bites at first glance, flea infections have a few characteristics that set them apart from other insect-borne diseases such as bed bug bites:
Bed bug bite
Bed bug bites are similar to flea bites in that they can appear as itchy red welts on your skin. These welts may look like mosquito bites, but they’re usually in a line or cluster rather than isolated spots. You will not see bed bugs unless you are seeing live ones or have gotten rid of them and then find their feces (dark red spots) on sheets or furniture.
How do fleas and bed bugs feed on humans?
Bed bugs are parasites that feed on human blood. They are also known as cimicids, or “cimex” for short. Cimex lectularius is their scientific name and means “bedbug-like insect of the home” in Latin. Fleas are small insects with six legs and a long body that can jump up to 200 times their own length in one move! They have a flat head and body shape similar to an ant or spider but don’t have wings like some other insects do.
Fleas live on animals such as cats, dogs, rats and mice—they will also bite humans if they come into contact with them. The flea bite causes red bumps on your skin because it injects its saliva into the bite area when it feeds from its host animal (that includes you!). The saliva contains enzymes that dissolve blood cells so that it can suck them up through its straw-like mouthparts called stylets (which look like tiny needles). If there aren’t many nutrients left over after this process then flea larvae may appear inside these bumps instead!
Why is a flea bite itchy?
Flea bites are itchy because the flea’s saliva doesn’t mix well with your skin. Your skin is allergic to the flea’s saliva, so this causes an uncomfortable reaction.
With the right information, you won’t get these two red bumps confused.
Most people will get bitten by fleas or bed bugs at some point in their lives. Those with pets and children are more likely to have these pests invade their homes, but anyone can have them. If you start to see red bumps on your skin that itch, then you may be dealing with one of these nasty critters.
Since it’s possible to confuse a flea bite for a bed bug bite, let’s take a look at the similarities and differences between them so you can identify each problem correctly:
- The bites are similar in size and color (red). However, flea bites tend to be smaller than those caused by bed bugs.
- Flea bites appear in clusters around areas such as ankles or armpits where the animal spends most of its time while playing with children or pets; while bed bug bites typically occur across larger areas such as arms or legs because they bite during sleep when we’re farther away from their preferred feeding source (our blood).
- 3.5-ounce tube of Benadryl Extra-Strength Cooling Itch Stopping Anti-Itch Gel for fast cooling relief from skin pain and itching from most outdoor itches
- Provides relief from most outdoor itches associated with insect bites, sunburn, scrapes, minor skin irritations, burns, and minor cuts
- Soothing anti-itch gel also provides relief from itching associated with rashes caused by poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac
- Cooling gel formula contains 2% of the topical analgesic pain reliever diphenhydramine hydrochloride that works by blocking histamines to relieve itches associated with several ailments
- Intended for use by those ages 2 and up, soothing gel offers itch relief for kids and adults alike and is great to keep on hand during outdoor activities such as camping, hiking or taking a walk with the family
Additional Info :
- Removes insect venom, saliva, and other irritants left under the skin using suction
- By removing the irritant, the body stops producing the reaction that is causing you to itch & swell
- Works on: mosquitoes, bees, wasps, biting flies, no-see-ums, chiggers, sea lice & more
- Compact, lightweight, reusable and easy to carry
- Clinically Proven, kid friendly, 100% guarantee
Additional Info :
- Add a layer of protection to your clothing and gear with Permethrin insect and tick repellent spray — perfect for use on shirts, jackets, pants, socks, shoes, boots, sleeping bags, tents, netting, when outdoors, camping, hunting, or on travel
- Ideal for backpacking, backyard BBQs, and other outdoor activities, it’s effective against more than 55 kinds of insects — from disease-spreading ticks (Lyme disease) and mosquitoes (West Nile and Zika viruses) to chiggers, spiders, mites, and more
- Permethrin spray bonds to fabric fibers for up to 6 weeks or through 6 washings (whichever comes first) and won’t stain or damage clothing, fabrics, plastics, finished surfaces, or outdoor gear; odorless after drying
- Reduce likelihood of a tick bite by 73.6 times by treating shoes and socks with Permethrin (University of Rhode Island study – 2017)
- 24-ounce trigger spray bottle treats five complete outfits (updated EPA dosage is 4.5 ounces per outfit consisting of shirt, pants, and socks); maximize protection by pairing with Sawyer Picaridin topical repellent for the skin
Additional Info :
- ALL IN ONE REPELLENT AND ANTI-ITCH: “No-Bite-Me” DOES IT ALL! Forgot to apply “No-Bite-Me” and got some bug bites? No problem: it’s an anti-itch cream too! Other creams make you choose between repelling bugs and treating uncomfortable bug bites, but “No-Bite-Me” prevents and repairs bug-bombed skin. Effective on black flies, mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks.
- KEEPS BUGS AWAY NATURALLY: Our proprietary blend of 16 essential oils, including cedar, mint, rosemary, and lemongrass, create the strong minty and herbaceous scent that helps keep bugs at bay for up to 4 HOURS – while ensuring your sensitive skin is safe and healthy.
- SAFE FOR CHILDREN: “No-Bite-Me” is a completely safe, natural bug repellent. It’s easy to apply – just dot on exposed skin and blend in. No mess. No fuss. Deet free to protect even the smallest adventurers.
- FULL SIZE FOR BEST VALUE: Our 8oz tin of “No-Bite-Me” cream is amazing for the seasoned traveler! Throw a tin in your backpack, or keep it handy when camping. One tin provides plenty of relief for you and the whole family.
- SALLYE ANDER PROMISE: When you buy Sallye Ander products, you can rest assured knowing you are supporting a company committed to quality and the environment. All products are 100% handmade in the USA from organic locally sourced ingredients, and we’re completely cruelty-free
Additional Info :
- FAST RELIEF: Begins to work immediately when applied soon after an insect bite.
- STOPS PAIN, RELIEVES ITCHING: Works on bites and stings from chiggers, wasps, mosquitoes, ticks and other listed insects.
- REDUCES INFECTION: First aid antiseptic reduces the chance of infection.
- CONVENIENT STICK: The stick applicator easily fits in a pocket – handy for hiking and traveling.
- SOFT TIP: Pen applicator features a soft tip for controlled application.
- 3-in-1 formula stops pain, relieves itching, reduces infection
- Fast, effective and complete bite relief from mosquitoes, wasps chiggers and ticks
- Dispenser provides precise application without the mess
Additional Info :