It’s not uncommon to think you might have bed bugs when you start getting red, itchy bumps. Especially if you regularly get bitten by mosquitoes and no-see-ums in the warmer months.I mean, why else would they start bothering you in the dead of winter? And they don’t seem to be the same bites. Mosquitoes and no-see-ums bite more like a series of pinpricks – you hardly ever see one long row of red bumps. They’re just one itch spot, not a whole line of them. Bed bugs, on the other hand are all about those lines of itchiness. Itchy, itchy, itchy. I don’t know about you, but when I get bug bites, my first instinct is to scratch the bites…which of course makes them worse….which of course leads to more scratching. And more itching. It’s a vicious circle from which there is no escape…. Bed bugs bites are itchy and uncomfortable, especially immediately after they occur. Let’s talk about how to recognize them, how you could be getting bitten, and how long it takes for bed bug bites to show up in this post.
Bed Bug Bites A Week Later
Bed bug bites often go unnoticed at first
Bed bug bites can be difficult to spot, especially at first. Often, people don’t realize they’ve been bitten until they get up in the morning and see a red welt or rash on their skin. Bed bugs are small and flat, so their bites also tend to be flat and small.
They’re nocturnal creatures that come out to feed at night. They bite you while you’re sleeping because your body heat makes it easier for them to find a vein near the surface of your skin—they’ll dig into your flesh with their mouthparts and inject enzymes that break down blood cells, allowing them to suck up what’s left of your blood supply (which is why bed bug bites often appear red).
Bites may take up to a week to appear
It’s hard to say exactly how long it will take for bed bug bites to appear on your skin. People react differently, and some people can take up to a week to notice any bites at all. Other people may notice the bites within a couple of hours.
Bites tend to be small, round bumps that are grouped together in lines or clusters. The bites are often red in color and feel like little pimples on your skin—but unlike acne, they do not have pus in them! If you do have an allergic reaction due to bed bug saliva being injected into your body when they bite you (and this isn’t very common), there may be swelling around the bite area as well as itching or burning sensations.
Bed bugs can bite anywhere on the body
bed bug bites can be found anywhere on a person’s body. The common misconception is that bed bugs only bite your face, but this is not true. Bed bugs do not discriminate when it comes to where they decide to feed. In fact, one study showed that nearly half of all bed bug bites were on the upper extremities of the body (arms and hands).
Bed bug bites are usually red or brown in color and appear as small welts that go away after a few days. They may not even be painful, but some people do experience swelling or itching around the area of impact as well as irritation from scratching.
Most people do not react to bed bug bites at all
Most people do not react to bed bug bites at all, and those who do usually do not need medical attention. If you are bitten by a bed bug, you should not wash the bite or apply any lotions or creams to it. You also should NOT cover a bite with a bandage or adhesive tape as this may trap the saliva from the insect in your skin, causing irritation and infection.
If itching develops after being bitten by a bed bug, an over-the-counter antihistamine can help stop it from getting worse or getting infected (antihistamines are available without prescription).
A secondary infection can occur if a bed bug bite becomes itchy, scabbed or scratched
If you scratch or abrade the skin surrounding a bed bug bite too much, you can cause secondary infection. The wound may become red, swollen and itchy, which makes it even more tempting to scratch. If that happens, your body’s immune system will respond by making more blood vessels near the site of injury and sending in leukocytes (white blood cells) to fight off infection. This response can be both beneficial and harmful depending on how far along it goes. It’s important to keep scratching at bay because continued inflammation of any kind slows down healing time and may lead to scarring or systemic infection if left untreated. Moreover, scratching often leads to sepsis—a life-threatening condition where an overwhelming immune response causes widespread tissue damage throughout the body—and death in severe cases.
It’s important to look for signs of bed bugs in your home
As mentioned above, bed bugs are hard to detect. They can be as small as an apple seed, and if you’re not looking for them or don’t know what signs to look for, then it can be very difficult to spot one. In fact, it’s possible that a bed bug could travel around with you without your knowledge! For example, did you bring any new luggage or clothing into the house? Was there anything in the laundry room when you got home? Did anyone else come over recently and stay overnight in your home? If so, they may have brought bed bugs with them.
The best way to check whether your house has been infested by these tiny pests is to thoroughly inspect all areas of your home where people sleep or sit down for long periods of time (sofas, chairs etc). This includes under cushions on couches/chairs and behind baseboards in all rooms that are used frequently throughout each day (kitchen/dining room). You should also check any luggage/clothing that was brought into the house within three days after arrival; there might be eggs attached somewhere inaccessible from normal cleaning methods!
- 3.5-ounce tube of Benadryl Extra-Strength Cooling Itch Stopping Anti-Itch Gel for fast cooling relief from skin pain and itching from most outdoor itches
- Provides relief from most outdoor itches associated with insect bites, sunburn, scrapes, minor skin irritations, burns, and minor cuts
- Soothing anti-itch gel also provides relief from itching associated with rashes caused by poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac
- Cooling gel formula contains 2% of the topical analgesic pain reliever diphenhydramine hydrochloride that works by blocking histamines to relieve itches associated with several ailments
- Intended for use by those ages 2 and up, soothing gel offers itch relief for kids and adults alike and is great to keep on hand during outdoor activities such as camping, hiking or taking a walk with the family
Additional Info :
- Removes insect venom, saliva, and other irritants left under the skin using suction
- By removing the irritant, the body stops producing the reaction that is causing you to itch & swell
- Works on: mosquitoes, bees, wasps, biting flies, no-see-ums, chiggers, sea lice & more
- Compact, lightweight, reusable and easy to carry
- Clinically Proven, kid friendly, 100% guarantee
Additional Info :
- A Massage Body Scrub – Majestic Pure Himalayan Salt Scrub is formulated with powerful Natural Ingredients including Lychee berry, Sweet Almond Oil, and various Nutrients for their benefits on skin. Lychee Berry Oil has a soft, delicate scent and is rich in antioxidants and Vitamin C. Bath Scrub Detoxifies & Hydrates skin. It can be used by Men & Women.
- Himalayan Pink Salt Scrub – Himalayan salt is known for its impressive nutrient profile, which includes high trace amounts of calcium, magnesium, potassium, copper & iron. These nutrients help detoxify skin by balancing pH levels in the body. The pink salt crystals act as a pore-minimizer to restore smooth, soft skin; Himalayan Salt color can vary from light to dark pink color hence the scrub color may vary.
- Detoxification + Hydration – Salt Body Scrub Exfoliate for Body removes dead cells, toxins, dirt, pollution, and from pores. Scrubbing with sea salt scrub also assists in rejuvenation of skin; leaving not only your skin revived but also refreshing your whole Mind, Body, and Spirit
- Skin Blemish Solution – Our unique blend of ingredients can help to reduce the appearance of Acne, Blackheads, Cellulite, Stretch Marks, Scars, and Excess Oil. A pore-minimizer and hydrating solution to leave your skin feeling smoother, softer, and firmer. Great leg exfoliator for strawberry legs.
- Cruelty-Free, Made in USA – At Majestic Pure Cosmeceuticals, we are proud to provide you with all-natural and naturally-based cruelty-free products made right here in the United States of America
Additional Info :
- Diatomaceous earth-based powder is a highly effective ant killer; 4-pound resealable bag
- Kills insects by ingestion/dehydration within 48 hours indoors or outdoors
- Also for bed bug, cockroach, flea, earwig, silverfish, cricket, millipede and centipede control
- Insects cannot develop an immunity to this product unlike traditional insect killers
- Formula contains 100% Diatomaceous Earth
Additional Info :
- SAFE AND CHEMICAL FREE – Created with your kids in mind. Our grid-relief technology works mechanically not chemically to relieve itching and swelling cause by insect bites. Feel good about fighting the itch without harmful chemicals for your kids, babies and toddlers!
- INSTANT, CONVENIENT, EFFECTIVE – Simply place a Magic Patch on a bite and the itch disappears. Relief from itch within 30-60 seconds! Our Magic Patches are waterproof and can be left on for up to 7 days! Easy to apply and environmentally friendly.
- HOW IT WORKS – The grid shape technology mechanically adjusts the skin to help the lymphatic system drain the saliva injected by insects, relieving the itch response naturally and drug-free!
- KID FRIENDLY, PARENT APPROVED – Kids love the colorful patterns that are comfortable to wear and fast to apply. Parents love that they can keep their babies, toddlers, and kids itch free without the harmful chemicals.
- MULTI USE FUNCTION – Perfect for babies, toddlers, kids, and adults. Convenient, small package is perfect for on the go and travel. Easy to store in pockets, diaper bags, and first aid kits. Helps relieve itch from mosquitos, midges, sandflies, and ticks. Helps relieve pain from ant bites and bee stings.
Additional Info :