You probably never thought you’d be writing a post on bed bug bites ankles only. Me neither, but sometimes life takes an unusual turn. Luckily, this is not as bad as it sounds. At least I hope that’s the case. My legs are itching like crazy and I don’t know what to make of it. Initially, I thought it was a coincidence. However, when a second round of bed bug bites showed up on my ankles and nothing else, my suspicions began to rise. I’m no expert so bear with me here: the locations of the bites may tell the tale of their origin… Hi. Do you have bed bug bites on your ankles? Before you read any further, please understand that I’m not a licensed physician and cannot legally give out medical advice. I’ve tried to make this article as informative as possible but the final authority on any issue like bed bug bites and prevention is always the opinion of your personal physician. I get asked a lot about the bites that people find on their ankles. Since I don’t have bed bugs, I’m only speculating. But my speculation is because of the location, you likely do not have bed bugs or you would not just be getting bites on your ankles. A bed bug can travel as far as 15 feet in a single night so they are very sneaky, and they tend to target areas like the bed frame or near it because that’s where the movements are (so they want to feed off of the host while still being close enough to hide so the victim won’t see them).
Bed Bug Bites Ankles Only
There are several bugs that can look like bed bugs, including the batbug, swallow bug, and others.
Bed bugs are flat, small and oval. They’re red-brown in color and they don’t fly. If you suspect you might have bed bugs, look for the following signs:
- Small brown spots on your mattress or box spring (bed bug droppings)
- Tiny black spots on your sheets or pillowcases (excrement)
- Eggs that may appear white or yellowish with a red spot in the center (called nymphs). They hatch from eggs laid by adult females after they’ve fed on blood once, but they won’t become adults unless they feed again. Bed bug bites usually occur when people sleep; this is when the bugs move around looking for a place to hide during daylight hours. Bedbug bites tend to be localized on exposed areas of the body such as ankles, wrists and neck folds – places where bedbugs tend not to be disturbed during sleep!
Bed bugs feed solely on blood.
Bed bugs are blood-sucking parasites that feed solely on human or animal blood. A bed bug will not eat other insects, including spiders. Bed bugs also do not feed on people’s skin or hair.
Bed bug bites only happen when the bug feeds.
Bed bugs are blood-sucking insects that feed on humans, pets, and other warm-blooded animals. They are nocturnal feeders, meaning they bite people at night while they’re sleeping. Bed bug bites can happen anywhere on the body but are most commonly found in areas where there is a lot of hair, such as the arms and legs or in the creases of clothing.
Bed bugs do not transmit disease but can cause itchy red bumps on your skin after feeding for about five minutes or less—they usually bite near joints like elbows and knees. These bites may become inflamed if you scratch them too much or develop an allergic reaction to the bug’s saliva (which contains toxins).
Bed bugs aren’t known to spread disease.
Bed bugs aren’t known to transmit disease. They can and do infest homes, businesses, schools and hotels across the world. Bed bug bites are usually not serious in otherwise healthy people and may cause no medical problems at all.
Because they feed on blood, bed bug bites tend to be found on places where the skin is exposed while sleeping; such as: arms, hands, feet, face and neck. In some cases they may also be found on other parts of the body or even under fingernails (which causes a very itchy rash). The picture above shows what looks like an allergic reaction around the ankle area but no puncture marks which would indicate a bite from another insect (mosquito/fungus gnat).
There is no need to treat bites, but call a doctor if there are signs of infection.
While bed bug bites are not a serious medical condition, they can be itchy and uncomfortable. It may be tempting to treat these bites with anti-itch creams or other topical remedies. However, there is no need to treat the bite because it will go away on its own within a few days.
If you do have itching that persists for more than two weeks after being bitten by a bed bug, call your doctor. This may indicate an allergy or infection that requires medical intervention and treatment.
Bed bugs can be killed at home with heat treatment, which uses dryers and steamers.
Home heat treatment is also a possibility for bed bugs. With this method, you would place the infested items in the dryer or steamer and then run it at 130 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. This will kill most of the bugs on contact, but you may need to repeat this process if there are still some left alive after one pass.
If you choose to treat your home with heat, follow up with chemical treatments as well so that no eggs survive to hatch into new generations of bedbugs!
Clutter may make it harder to kill bed bugs.
Clutter may make it harder to kill bed bugs.
- Bed bugs can hide in clutter, making it impossible to kill them all.
- Clutter may make it hard to see bed bug eggs and nymphs, preventing you from knowing that you have a problem until it’s too late.
- Bed bugs are small and agile, so they can squeeze into narrow cracks between objects in your home or apartment and hide there until they’re ready to come out and feed again at night (or day). If you live in a cluttered house, these places will be harder for you to find – which means that the next time you sit down on your favorite chair or couch after vacuuming everything up will be the first time that your skin has been exposed!
This is why professional extermination services recommend cleaning out all unnecessary items before they arrive onsite: clutter makes their job much more difficult than necessary!
Bed bug infestations have been found in schools, libraries and other public places.
Bed bugs are a common pest in homes, apartments, hotels and dormitories. They can be transported from one location to another on clothing or in suitcases. Bed bugs may also hitch rides in furniture, boxes and packages. That’s why hotels are one of the places most likely to have bed bug problems.
Bed bugs like to hide near where people sleep; that’s why bed bug infestations have been found in schools, libraries and other public places. You might have brought a few home from an infested hotel room or apartment building—and now you’re dealing with a full-blown problem!
If you think you have bed bugs, it’s best to call a professional for treatment.
A professional pest control operator is trained to recognize signs of bed bugs and will be able to use a variety of tools and techniques to eliminate them. To ensure that your home is free of these pests, it’s best to call an exterminator if you think you have them.
Bed bugs can be killed with heat or steam but they may also hide in places that are not easily recognizable like electrical outlets, behind wall coverings and baseboards, inside furniture joints, in window frames and door casings as well as around bed frames or box springs (where they tend to congregate). They’re not known as disease carriers so there’s no need for concern about spreading illness through bites.
- ALL IN ONE REPELLENT AND ANTI-ITCH: “No-Bite-Me” DOES IT ALL! Forgot to apply “No-Bite-Me” and got some bug bites? No problem: it’s an anti-itch cream too! Other creams make you choose between repelling bugs and treating uncomfortable bug bites, but “No-Bite-Me” prevents and repairs bug-bombed skin. Effective on black flies, mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks.
- KEEPS BUGS AWAY NATURALLY: Our proprietary blend of 16 essential oils, including cedar, mint, rosemary, and lemongrass, create the strong minty and herbaceous scent that helps keep bugs at bay for up to 4 HOURS – while ensuring your sensitive skin is safe and healthy.
- SAFE FOR CHILDREN: “No-Bite-Me” is a completely safe, natural bug repellent. It’s easy to apply – just dot on exposed skin and blend in. No mess. No fuss. Deet free to protect even the smallest adventurers.
- FULL SIZE FOR BEST VALUE: Our 8oz tin of “No-Bite-Me” cream is amazing for the seasoned traveler! Throw a tin in your backpack, or keep it handy when camping. One tin provides plenty of relief for you and the whole family.
- SALLYE ANDER PROMISE: When you buy Sallye Ander products, you can rest assured knowing you are supporting a company committed to quality and the environment. All products are 100% handmade in the USA from organic locally sourced ingredients, and we’re completely cruelty-free
Additional Info :
- Removes insect venom, saliva, and other irritants left under the skin using suction
- By removing the irritant, the body stops producing the reaction that is causing you to itch & swell
- Works on: mosquitoes, bees, wasps, biting flies, no-see-ums, chiggers, sea lice & more
- Compact, lightweight, reusable and easy to carry
- Clinically Proven, kid friendly, 100% guarantee
Additional Info :
- 3.5-ounce tube of Benadryl Extra-Strength Cooling Itch Stopping Anti-Itch Gel for fast cooling relief from skin pain and itching from most outdoor itches
- Provides relief from most outdoor itches associated with insect bites, sunburn, scrapes, minor skin irritations, burns, and minor cuts
- Soothing anti-itch gel also provides relief from itching associated with rashes caused by poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac
- Cooling gel formula contains 2% of the topical analgesic pain reliever diphenhydramine hydrochloride that works by blocking histamines to relieve itches associated with several ailments
- Intended for use by those ages 2 and up, soothing gel offers itch relief for kids and adults alike and is great to keep on hand during outdoor activities such as camping, hiking or taking a walk with the family
Additional Info :
- Uses: Within seconds, chills entire foot to relieve: sore feet, hot feet, tired feet, aching feet, & painful chronic conditions like plantar fasciitis and arthritis. Frequently used during pregnancy.
- Immediate Relief: from inflammation & swelling from sprains or strains of the ball-of-foot, neuropathy, tendonitis, or any foot injury. Ideal for men or women on their feet all day.
- Sizing: Small/Medium fits Women’s shoe sizes 6 to 9 US & Men’s shoe sizes 4 to 8 US. One pair. Use as socks for plantar fasciitis women, soothe socks for neuropathy pain, or as a reusable ice bag.
- How It Works: Neutralizes pain & wear and tear with a chilled gel pack beneath the length of the foot, & another half-size pack for top of foot or behind heel.
- Ideal comfort items for chemo patients, chemotherapy treatments, chemo care package for men, cooling socks, cool socks for women, cryotherapy, edema relief.
Additional Info :
- One Essential Solution: Aquaphor is one essential solution for many skin care needs; use on dry, cracked skin, as a lip moisturizer, facial moisturizer, hydrating mask, minor wound care and much more
- For Dry, Compromised Skin: This Aquaphor Healing Ointment is designed specifically for dry, compromised skin and clinically proven to restore smooth, healthy skin
- Convenient Replacement: Use Aquaphor Healing Ointment as a replacement for a foot cream or hand cream to help heal dry cracked hands, cuticles and feet
- Ideal for Healing: Different from a body lotion or cream, this ointment is water-free, and soothes skin while creating a protective barrier that allows for the flow of oxygen to create an ideal healing environment
- Includes one (1) 14 ounce jar of Aquaphor Healing Ointment Advanced Therapy Skin Protectant
Additional Info :