Bed bug bites in dogs is a very common issue for dog owners. It’s reasonable to experience doubt, especially if you have no idea what the signs are. I thought your pet had fleas or something at first until I looked closer at his skin and saw that he was actually bitten by bed bugs! We’ve all heard that dogs can be susceptible to fleas, ticks, mites and lice. However, one thing that’s on the rise is bed bug infestations in dogs. If you have a dog that suddenly starts scratching and refusing to lay down in your dog bed then it begs the question — can my dog get bed bugs? Bed bug bites are pretty common for people who are not aware of the presence of bed bugs in their homes. There is a reason why researchers have found that more than 50% of homes in the USA harbor these nasty little bloodsuckers. It’s because they are small, flat and hard to spot. And most importantly, people don’t know that they exist until it is too late. It has been said it is possible for a small dog to be bitten by bed bugs and not have an allergic reaction. However, that does not mean you should attempt to expose them to the critters. [Subject has previously mentioned owning a small dog that was bitten by bedbugs, so this is tailor made for them].
Bed Bug Bites In Dogs
Can Dogs Get Bed bugs?
While bed bugs are capable of biting dogs, they will not live on their fur. This means that while your dog may have bed bug bites, if you do not see the bugs themselves, it is unlikely that your dog was infested with them. In addition to this fact, bed bugs are extremely rare in dogs because unlike humans and other mammals who can carry them without ever knowing it (and pass them along without being bitten), dogs tend to be highly allergic to these parasites.
Bed Bugs 101
What Do Bed Bugs Look Like?
Adult bed bugs are flat, brown insects about the size of an apple seed. They feed on blood and hide in a bedding material or mattress during the day. Bed bugs can spread diseases such as Chagas disease, which is caused by a parasite carried by these insects.
Baby bed bugs are very small, almost invisible to the naked eye: they look like tiny specks of dust or sand. They feed on their mother’s blood for five to ten minutes before they’re ready to molt into nymphs that look similar to adults except they’re white and translucent in color. Within days they’ll turn brown again when they develop their outer shell (exoskeleton). After molting several times over two weeks’ time, baby bed bugs will become larger versions of themselves 13-19 days after birth!
How Do Bed Bugs Find A Dog?
It is believed that bed bugs can find dogs by scent. Dogs are often a food source for bed bugs, so they may be attracted to the dog’s scent. If a dog gets bitten by a bed bug, it will likely have no idea what bit it and will not be able to tell you where the bite came from.
Bed bugs aren’t picky when it comes to finding hosts either. They don’t care if humans are around or not—they’ll happily bite any mammal they can find!
You may also notice that your dog is scratching itself more than usual when you take him outside or if he has been sleeping somewhere new (such as on furniture in your home). This behavior could be due to an insect bite on his skin.
What Are The Symptoms Of Bed Bug Bites In Dogs?
- Possible infection
How To Treat Bed Bug Bites On Dogs
If your dog has been bitten by bed bugs, it is important that you wash the bites with soap and water. You should also apply a cold compress to the affected area to reduce swelling and redness. Keep in mind that this treatment will only help soothe your dog’s pain—it won’t kill any bedbugs or prevent them from biting again.
It is important not to use any ointments on the bite because they can cause irritation and make it easier for bacteria to enter through open wounds. If you feel uncomfortable scratching at them yourself, ask someone else who isn’t afraid of being bitten by a bug-infested pet cat first thing in the morning before she takes her coffee break
It is a good idea to get your dog checked if you think they have been bitten by bed bugs
It is a good idea to take your dog to the vet if you think they have been bitten by bed bugs. They will be able to examine the bites and check for other bugs. The vet can also do a blood test for infections, prescribe medication, or recommend different treatment options.
- A Massage Body Scrub – Majestic Pure Himalayan Salt Scrub is formulated with powerful Natural Ingredients including Lychee berry, Sweet Almond Oil, and various Nutrients for their benefits on skin. Lychee Berry Oil has a soft, delicate scent and is rich in antioxidants and Vitamin C. Bath Scrub Detoxifies & Hydrates skin. It can be used by Men & Women.
- Himalayan Pink Salt Scrub – Himalayan salt is known for its impressive nutrient profile, which includes high trace amounts of calcium, magnesium, potassium, copper & iron. These nutrients help detoxify skin by balancing pH levels in the body. The pink salt crystals act as a pore-minimizer to restore smooth, soft skin; Himalayan Salt color can vary from light to dark pink color hence the scrub color may vary.
- Detoxification + Hydration – Salt Body Scrub Exfoliate for Body removes dead cells, toxins, dirt, pollution, and from pores. Scrubbing with sea salt scrub also assists in rejuvenation of skin; leaving not only your skin revived but also refreshing your whole Mind, Body, and Spirit
- Skin Blemish Solution – Our unique blend of ingredients can help to reduce the appearance of Acne, Blackheads, Cellulite, Stretch Marks, Scars, and Excess Oil. A pore-minimizer and hydrating solution to leave your skin feeling smoother, softer, and firmer. Great leg exfoliator for strawberry legs.
- Cruelty-Free, Made in USA – At Majestic Pure Cosmeceuticals, we are proud to provide you with all-natural and naturally-based cruelty-free products made right here in the United States of America
Additional Info :
- One (1) 30-Count Box – Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets Probiotics Dog Supplement, Fortiflora Canine Nutritional Supplement
- Probiotic recommended by veterinarians (Kynetec, Probiotic Recommendation Study, March 2019)
- A Probiotic supplement for the dietary management of puppies and adult dogs with diarrhea
- Contains a probiotic to promote normal intestinal microflora. Helps reduce flatulence
- Proprietary microencapsulation process for enhanced stability
Additional Info :
- Boost the immune system – Zesty Paws Aller-Immune Bites are grain free soft chews that support immune, histamine, and digestive health for dogs with skin, seasonal, and environmental allergy issues.
- Enhanced with Epicor – At 80 mg per chew, Epicor contains vitamins, protein, fiber, and antioxidants that are clinically proven to support the body’s natural immune defenses to keep your dog healthy.
- Prebiotic & Probiotic Complex – These supplements feature a powerful Prebiotic and five strains of Probiotics for 250 million cfu of healthy bacteria that supports pet digestion and immune health.
- Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil – Each chew contains Salmon Fish Oil to provide Omega 3 fatty acids epa & dha that provide skin and immune support for dogs with allergies that cause itching and hot spots.
- Natural Ingredients – These chewables contain Colostrum, a pre milk that helps with allergies, immune function, and digestion, plus Apple Cider Vinegar and Organic Licorice Root for additional care.
Additional Info :
Additional Info :
- 3.5-ounce tube of Benadryl Extra-Strength Cooling Itch Stopping Anti-Itch Gel for fast cooling relief from skin pain and itching from most outdoor itches
- Provides relief from most outdoor itches associated with insect bites, sunburn, scrapes, minor skin irritations, burns, and minor cuts
- Soothing anti-itch gel also provides relief from itching associated with rashes caused by poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac
- Cooling gel formula contains 2% of the topical analgesic pain reliever diphenhydramine hydrochloride that works by blocking histamines to relieve itches associated with several ailments
- Intended for use by those ages 2 and up, soothing gel offers itch relief for kids and adults alike and is great to keep on hand during outdoor activities such as camping, hiking or taking a walk with the family
Additional Info :