This is an informative page about bed bug bites on African American skin. Bed bugs are becoming a new pest in the United States and have been found in large cities like Los Angeles and New York. There have been reports of bed bugs being discovered on planes, trains and in hospitals. Are you dealing with unsightly bed bug bites on your African American skin? If so, you aren’t alone. While many think only immune-compromised people or people with severe allergies are affected by bed bugs, this is not the case. Bed bugs can cause a variety of symptoms in healthy individuals and many don’t even realize they have been bitten until they develop painful, itchy welts. If you have been bitten by bed bugs, you know how painful they can be. If you are African American, this may not be the case. I’ve had my fair share of bites, but no where near as many as my white mother in law. I’ve noticed bed bug bites on African American skin tend to heal faster and appear less itchy than white skin.
Bed Bug Bites On African American Skin
Bedbugs are more likely to be seen in darker skin tones
While bed bug bites are often misdiagnosed in African Americans, they are visible in light skin tones.
Bed bug bites are tiny and painless, leaving a red welt that can be mistaken for mosquito or flea bites. The rash may also appear on other parts of the body such as the arms or legs, but it is more likely to be seen on areas where you sleep or sit for long periods of time like your back or buttocks.
Bedbug bites can be misdiagnosed as spider bites, contact dermatitis, allergic reaction or hives
Bedbug bites are often misdiagnosed as spider bites, contact dermatitis, allergic reaction or hives. Bedbug bites may be painless and red with an itchy rash. They can appear in a line, multiple bites and multiple bite patterns such as zigzag or cluster patterns. The most common locations for bedbug bites are the arms and neck but they can also appear on the legs, face and groin area.
Bedbug bites can cause intense itching
Bedbug bites are more common than you might think. Bedbugs tend to bite around the ankles, wrists and other areas where skin is exposed. These bites can be mistaken for mosquito or spider bites but they differ in several ways. Bedbug bites are usually grouped together in a line or cluster on one area of skin and they may be itchy or sore. Bedbugs can also cause intense itching after feeding has occurred and this persists until the insect dies or is removed from its host by a professional pest control service person.
Bedbug bites are painless
Bed bug bites are painless and often go unnoticed until they become more apparent. When you’re bitten by a bedbug, it injects an anesthetic when it bites you. This is why bedbug bites do not hurt or itch immediately.
Bedbugs can cause itching and irritation which leads to scratching that can result in secondary infections like impetigo or cellulitis. Bed bugs also carry other diseases like Lyme disease, typhus fever and relapsing fever that are transmitted through their bite marks on human skin
With the right information, you can make sure you get an accurate diagnosis and the treatment you need.
As you can see, bedbug bites can be misdiagnosed.
If you are experiencing skin problems that you think may be due to bedbugs, it’s important to get an accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment. The first step is seeing your doctor or healthcare provider as soon as possible.
Your healthcare provider will ask several questions about when the symptoms started and then examine the affected area(s). He or she may scrape off some of the material on your skin so that it can be tested for signs of an allergic reaction or infection. If necessary, he or she will refer you to someone else who specializes in diagnosing and treating these conditions (such as a dermatologist).
- 3.5-ounce tube of Benadryl Extra-Strength Cooling Itch Stopping Anti-Itch Gel for fast cooling relief from skin pain and itching from most outdoor itches
- Provides relief from most outdoor itches associated with insect bites, sunburn, scrapes, minor skin irritations, burns, and minor cuts
- Soothing anti-itch gel also provides relief from itching associated with rashes caused by poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac
- Cooling gel formula contains 2% of the topical analgesic pain reliever diphenhydramine hydrochloride that works by blocking histamines to relieve itches associated with several ailments
- Intended for use by those ages 2 and up, soothing gel offers itch relief for kids and adults alike and is great to keep on hand during outdoor activities such as camping, hiking or taking a walk with the family
Additional Info :
- Removes insect venom, saliva, and other irritants left under the skin using suction
- By removing the irritant, the body stops producing the reaction that is causing you to itch & swell
- Works on: mosquitoes, bees, wasps, biting flies, no-see-ums, chiggers, sea lice & more
- Compact, lightweight, reusable and easy to carry
- Clinically Proven, kid friendly, 100% guarantee
Additional Info :
- LIKE BLOTTING PAPERS, BUT BETTER: This face roller is made of real volcanic stone, which soaks up excess oil instantly. It’s our secret for fresh, shine-free skin any time. Use it on a clean or finished face—it won’t mess up your makeup
- MASSAGES AND MATTIFIES FACE: Rolling the stone roller across your skin feels heavenly, like a mini facial massage. Ditch your jade roller and use our 2-in-1 Mattifying face roller for oily and acne prone skin
- EASY TO USE: Gently roll the face roller ball over your T-zone or anywhere skin is shiny. That’s it
- LESS WASTE THAN BLOTTING PAPER: Unlike blotting papers for oily skin that are used once and thrown out, this oil-absorbing roller is reusable. To clean, twist the roller’s ring to unlock, and pull out the stone. Wash with a gentle cleanser, rinse, and air-dry before locking it back in
- LIVE BOLDLY WITH REVLON MAKEUP: Revlon has the quality beauty tools and high-pigment, the bold color makeup you need to be yourself. Our tools for the face, eyes, and nails are everyday essentials elevated through function, form, or and material (but still amazingly affordable)
Additional Info :
- IMPROVES APPEARANCE OF ACNE SCARS AND STRETCH MARKS – Clinically proven to help repair skin damage and scars from pregnancy, surgery, injury, acne, C-section, aging, and more. Bio-Oil is non comedogenic and a great acne scar treatment for face
- PACKED WITH POWERFUL, NATURAL OILS – Vitamin A Oil promotes the formation of new collagen and assists in skin renewal, increasing skin elasticity. Vitamin E Oil, Chamomile Oil, Sunflower Oil, and Lavender Oil are anti-inflammatory and promote healthy skin
- LOCKS IN ESSENTIAL MOISTURE WITHOUT CLOGGING PORES – Uniquely formulated, non-greasy body oil that hydrates skin and helps retain moisture to repair scars without clogging your pores. Effective acne scar healer and anti-aging face moisturizer for women
- HELPS SMOOTH UNEVEN SKIN TONES – Works naturally to improve the appearance of uneven skin tones, for light and dark skin tones. Mineral oil, one of Bio-Oil’s base oils, works both as an emollient, which keeps the skin soft and smooth, and as a moisturizer
- FORMULATED FOR ALL SKIN TYPES – Keep Bio-Oil Skincare Oil on-hand to ensure the whole household is covered. Safe for pregnant women, this is the perfect mothers day present for expectant moms. Bio-Oil helps soften skin and repairs damage for all types, tones, textures, and areas of your skin
Additional Info :
- Add a layer of protection to your clothing and gear with Permethrin insect and tick repellent spray — perfect for use on shirts, jackets, pants, socks, shoes, boots, sleeping bags, tents, netting, when outdoors, camping, hunting, or on travel
- Ideal for backpacking, backyard BBQs, and other outdoor activities, it’s effective against more than 55 kinds of insects — from disease-spreading ticks (Lyme disease) and mosquitoes (West Nile and Zika viruses) to chiggers, spiders, mites, and more
- Permethrin spray bonds to fabric fibers for up to 6 weeks or through 6 washings (whichever comes first) and won’t stain or damage clothing, fabrics, plastics, finished surfaces, or outdoor gear; odorless after drying
- Reduce likelihood of a tick bite by 73.6 times by treating shoes and socks with Permethrin (University of Rhode Island study – 2017)
- 24-ounce trigger spray bottle treats five complete outfits (updated EPA dosage is 4.5 ounces per outfit consisting of shirt, pants, and socks); maximize protection by pairing with Sawyer Picaridin topical repellent for the skin
Additional Info :