Brown Patch is one of the most prevalent lawn diseases in the United States. This fungus can infect many different types of grasses, including zoysia grass. Brown patch is a seasonal disease, appearing during periods when temperatures are between 60 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit and lawns are moist for at least 10 hours every day.
Brown patch is caused by a fungus called Rhizoctonia solani. This fungus lives in soil and is spread by splashing water from rain or irrigation onto your lawn. The spores of this fungus are spread by wind and raindrops. They will grow on dead grass roots that have been killed by diseases like Pythium blight or summer patch disease if they are present in your yard
Brown patch usually appears as circular or irregularly shaped brown spots on the lawn. The edges of these spots are dark green, but the centers are tan to light brown in color. In some cases, the entire lawn can become infected with a brown patch.
There are a variety of fungicides available to treat brown patches. Here are some of the best fungicides for Brown Patch in Zoysia Grass.
Southern Ag – Liquid Copper Fungicide
What is the active ingredient? Copper sulfate is an anti-fungal preparation.
How should I store it? Store in a cool dry place out of direct sun and before opening, shake well for 5 minutes to ensure proper mixing of ingredients.
How should I dispose of it? Do not contaminate water sources or food by storage or disposal. Dispose of empty containers in accordance with local regulations.
How much do I need to buy? Refer to the product label for application rates and coverage information based on soil conditions, turf conditions, and plant health at the time of application. For best results avoid using too much product as this will result in poor uptake by grasses resulting in wasted money on unnecessary applications later down the road when problems reoccur.
Zoysia grass is a type of turf grass that grows well in sunny, warm climates. It thrives in soils with high pH levels and is commonly used as a ground cover for patios and walkways. Unfortunately, it’s also prone to disease. Brown patches (Rhizoctonia solani) can cause browning patches on the leaves of your zoysia grass, which will eventually turn yellowish-green or tan before dying off completely.
To eliminate brown patches, you’ll need to treat your entire lawn with fungicide; this will prevent new growth from developing. You’ll also want to avoid overhead watering so you don’t reinfect your zoysia grass after you’ve treated it with fungicide
Daconil Action is a broad-spectrum fungicide that is effective against many different types of turfgrass diseases. It’s a water-based fungicide that offers good control of several common brown patch pathogens.
Daconil Action is labeled to control:
Brown Patch (Rhizoctonia solani)
Pythium Root Rot (Pythium spp.)
Early Spring Fungus (Albugo spp.)
Fertilome Broad Spectrum Landscape and Garden Fungicide
Fertilome Broad Spectrum Landscape and Garden Fungicide contains a mix of two active ingredients known as chlorothalonil and mancozeb. This help to kill brown patch fungus in zoysia grass by preventing it from feeding on your lawn. It’s important to follow the instructions on the label when applying this product so that you can get the best results possible.
The first step is to spread out 1 pound per 1000 square feet of lawn with a hand spreader or lawn roller if you have one (a rotary or drop spreader will work too). You should also make sure you’re not wearing any clothing that could come into contact with the fungicide, as it can cause skin irritation or burns if it comes into contact with your skin while still wet.
Next up is watering down your new application within 24 hours of application, although this may vary depending on how much rain falls during this time period as well as how recently it rained before applying fertilizer; check with your local cooperative extension service for more information about how often and how much water should be applied after fertilizing grasses such as zoysia grass. It’s also important not only to apply enough water but also to make sure that all areas receive proper irrigation so there aren’t any dry spots left over from previous applications.
If necessary repeat these steps every six weeks until symptoms disappear completely from all infected areas before planting new seedlings back into those areas again; similarly wait about six months before reseeding any damaged areas after treating them appropriately first (see below).
Bayer Advanced is a fungicide that has been proven to be effective against brown patches. It is a systemic fungicide, meaning it can be applied either as granules or liquid and will work its way through the plant systems to help prevent infection. Bayer Advanced also works on a variety of turf-specific diseases like dollar spot, Pythium blight, and damping off. It does have some limitations: You should not apply it to your zoysia grass if there’s excessive rain expected within three days of application because water will wash away the chemical’s residual effect before it has time to completely dry in the soil.
Lawn Disease Control Concentrate by GREEN LIGHT
Lawn Disease Control Concentrate is a broad-spectrum fungicide that provides protection against several leaf diseases and turfgrass brown patch. It should be applied at the first sign of disease to prevent rapid reoccurrence. This product is recommended for use on lawns, Zoysia grasses, and other cool-season turfgrasses including Kentucky Bluegrass, Perennial Ryegrass, and Tall Fescue.
BioAdvanced 701285B 26004671 Fungus Plus Insect Control for Lawns 32-Ounce Ready-to-Spray Concentrate, 32 oz White (701285B)
BioAdvanced 701285B 26004671 Fungus Plus Insect Control for Lawns 32-Ounce Ready-to-Spray Concentrate, 32 oz White (701285B) is a fungicide that can be used to treat brown patches in Zoysia grass. It works as a broad spectrum control of turf diseases and insects on lawns, ornamental turf, and other grasses. This product is labeled for use on residential lawns and parks with the following restrictions:
- For use on St Augustinegrass, Bahiagrass, Centipedegrass, Seashore Paspalum (Paspalum vaginatum), Kikuyugrass, Indian Grass (Sorghum halepense) and Buffalograss (Buchloe dactyloides).
- Not to be used within 100 feet of any water body or drainage ditch.
How To Use These Fungicides
To get rid of Brown Patch in your Zoysia Grass:
- You should apply the fungicide every 3 weeks. It’s important to follow the directions on the label of your specific product.
- Watering your grass after applying the fungicide will help it work better and last longer by keeping it moist for longer periods of time.
- You should apply this fungicide when the temperature is above 60 degrees (15-17 C).
List Of Products to Control Brown Patch In Zoysia Grass
Brown patch is a fungal disease that can be devastating to your Zoysia grass. The good news is that there are a number of products available to control brown patches, and they range from organic to synthetic.
NATRIA Neem Oil, Ready-to-Use, 1 Gallon
Price : $69.11
- Right Results: Help stop pests and diseases with Natria Neem Oil Plant Spray; As a multi-use insect repellent for plants, post bud, this fungicide spray can be applied at the first sign of insects or disease on outdoor plants and indoor houseplants.
- Easy-to-Use Neem Oil Pesticide: This neem oil for indoor plants and trees comes in a ready-to-use bottle for easy application; Our fungicide plant spray can be applied in the spring, early summer or fall, and it can be used up to the day of harvest.
- Organic Neem Oil: This multi-purpose plant spray can be used on a variety of indoor and outdoor plants; As a bug and disease spray, our neem oil for plants can be sprayed on plants bearing nuts, fruits, vegetables, or on delicate flowers like roses.
- Versatile Insect Killer Spray: Natria neem oil for indoor plants and ornamental shrubs is designed to kill insects fast; This quality plant bug killer works on aphids, spider mites, whiteflies, caterpillars, fruit flies, midges, beetles, and more.
- Help Control Plant Disease: This organic neem oil for plants can help control disease on plants; Our plant spray for disease care on plants, roses and flowers, helps control blackspot, botrytis, downy mildew, powdery mildew, scab, rust and more.
BioSafe ZeroTol HC Organic Disease Control Kills Mold and Mildew On Contact for All Plants, Fruits, Vegetables, Use Till Day of Harvest, One Gallon
Price : $55.99
- Kills mold spores before they turn into pathogens.
- Contains no copper or harsh chemicals.
- Leaves no harmful residue.
- Kills diseases on contact.
- Biodegradable and Sustainable.
Brown Patch is a fungal disease that is caused by the Rhizoctonia solani and can result in extensive damage. The best way to prevent an infestation from happening is by following good lawn care practices. This includes watering deeply and infrequently, mowing at the correct height for your grass species to allow for sufficient leaf growth and development, avoiding excessive nitrogen fertilization, removing or otherwise controlling broad-leaved weeds like dandelions that may compete with grass for water or nutrients, and using fungicides as necessary.