When I first researched can coconut oil kill fleas, I turned up a lot of blog posts and articles with conflicting information. Many suggested that coconut oil would be harmful to my cat. As an animal lover, this was definitely not something I wanted to do to my furry little buddy! Thankfully, after further research, I learned the truth about coconut oil for fleas—could this really help you take down your flea infestation? Coconut oil has been touted as a way to eliminate fleas on cats. Is this true? Does it kill the fleas on your cat or does it just drive them into hiding? Maybe it drives them away, but it doesn’t kill them. Let’s take a look and see what coconut oil can do for flea infestation, and whether or not it is something that you should consider using. Coconut oil contains a non-toxic and natural pesticide that keeps your dog free from fleas. Yes, this is true. People often mix coconut oil in their dogs’ food to get rid of fleas. Coconut oil destroys the larvae of fleas, insects, irritates and repels mosquitoes, soothes dry skin, removes ear mite infections, relieves allergies and can improve bowel movements. Coconut oil has been gaining popularity in the health and fitness communities. But exactly is it useful for? A large part of its appeal has to do with the way it makes you feel when you consume it: your energy levels are higher and your mood is better, for one thing. That’s because coconut oil is healthy for the body, especially when consumed in moderation. Plus, many natural health practitioners suggest that coconut can help eliminate bad bacteria in the gut, maintain a healthy weight, strengthen hair and nails, improve metabolism and digestion, and even boost your immunity.
Can Coconut Oil Kill Fleas
Does Coconut Oil Kill Fleas?
Coconut Oil as a Flea Repellent
It’s true that coconut oil has been proven to be an effective flea repellent. A 2008 study published in Parasitology Research proves this. Coconut Oil vs. Other Flea Repellents
Coconut oil is a natural alternative to chemical flea and lice repellents. In the above-mentioned study, researchers found it was more effective than the chemical repellents DEET and permethrin at killing lice by suffocation (coconut oil can kill lice by smothering them). The catch: it only kills the lice when you apply it directly to your skin, rather than coating your clothing with it through spraying or dipping.
For fleas, applying coconut oil directly to your pet’s coat will have little effect on killing off existing fleas on their body, but can help prevent new ones from jumping onto them in the future (provided you use enough of it).
Coconut Oil as a Preventative Measure
If you want to use coconut oil as a preventative measure against fleas, you would need to apply the oil every day on your dog. Fleas will be repelled by the smell of coconut oil and may not return immediately. However, the oil is only a short term solution because fleas will come back after some time. If someone suggests that you use coconut oil to prevent fleas from infesting your dog, then do not follow their advice!
There are other methods that can help in preventing flea infestations in your home and on your dogs.
Coconut Oil is effective at killing fleas, but only when they are on your dog.
There are many alternative treatments that can be used to prevent fleas from affecting your pet, but this method is not one of them. If your dog has fleas, coconut oil will help kill the fleas and protect your pet from future infestations. You can use coconut oil for other problems as well, such as giving them a shiny coat or helping with digestion issues.
If you have any questions about whether or not your dog can eat coconut oil or if it’s safe for them to consume, contact their veterinarian.
- Waterproof flea and tick treatment for dogs: Frontline Plus for Dogs provides waterproof, fast-acting, long-lasting flea and tick treatment and control for your dog. This product is approved for use on dogs 5-22 lbs.
- Break the flea life cycle with frontline: Frontline flea and tick treatment for dogs kills adult fleas plus flea eggs and larvae to stop existing infestations and prevent establishment of new infestations.
- Kills fleas and ticks: Frontline flea and tick treatment for dogs kills fleas, flea eggs, lice, and ticks. This flea and tick treatment kills ticks, including those that may transmit Lyme disease.
- Trusted flea and tick protection for dogs: Frontline has been trusted by veterinarians for nearly 20 years. Made with 2 tough killing ingredients, fipronil and (S)-methoprene – one to kill adult fleas and ticks and the second to kill flea eggs and larvae – this fast-acting, long-lasting protection provides flea and tick control for dogs and puppies 8 weeks and older
- Lasting flea and tick protection: Frontline’s long-lasting formula isstored in the oil glands of the pet’s skin to give non-stop flea and tick protection for a full 30 days. Frontline flea and tick treatment for dogs works non-stop for a full 30 days. A 3-dose supply lasts for 3 months.
Additional Info :
- Made from fresh, organic coconuts – cold-pressed from fresh, organic coconuts, Viva Naturals extra-virgin coconut oil delivers rich flavor and aroma that’s nutrient rich and naturally delicious
- Perfect for cooking, frying & spreading – with a naturally high smoke point (350°F/177°c), coconut oil is perfect for baking, frying and sautéing. Spread it on muffins or toast for a delightful and delicious alternative to butter.Does Not Contain Any of the 8 Major Allergens
- Nutrient-rich skin & hair-care treatment – Super useful outside the kitchen, coconut oil makes a luscious lotion or hair conditioner that provides deep, nutrient-rich hydration without feeling sticky or greasy. Free of bleach, hexanes and trans fats
- Easily fits your lifestyle – Whether you’re following a Keto, Paleo or Gluten-free lifestyle, or just looking for a tastier alternative, our organic coconut oil is easy to use, and fits seamlessly into your day-to-day. No refrigeration required
- USDA-certified Organic & Non-GMO – Using only the world’s highest-quality organic coconuts, our coconut oil is USDA-certified organic, Non-GMO, and Gluten free, grown and harvested sustainably without the use of unnecessary additives and Nastiness
Additional Info :
- The name in flea & tick protection trusted by pet owners for over 20 years, this waterproof, fast-acting flea and tick treatment kills fleas, flea eggs, lice, and ticks, including those that may transmit Lyme disease.
- Designed for use only with cats and kittens, this long-lasting treatment is made for cats eight weeks or older, weighing 1.5 pounds or more.
- Made with two active ingredients, fipronil and (S)-methoprene, this treatment stops infestations and prevents new ones.
- Applied on a single point on your pet, the treatment rapidly covers your cat’s entire body and deposits in the sebaceous glands. These glands as a reservoir, continuously replenishing the treatment onto your pet, working even if your cat gets wet.
- One dose of FRONTLINE Plus lasts 30 days.
Additional Info :
- 6-month supply of advantage II topical large cat flea prevention
- Easy-to-apply and pre-measured flea treatment application tubes, fragrance-free and waterproof after 24 hours
- Advantage II large cat flea prevention kills fleas through contact, meaning fleas don’t have to bite your cat in order to die.Avoid contact with eyes or clothing
- Starts working within 12 hours and protects your cat for up to 30 days. Kills fleas in multiple life stages; Eggs, larvae and adults to break the flea life cycle
- Vet recommended, fragrance free and designed specifically to treat and prevent fleas on cats
Additional Info :
|Blacks & Grays
- Eliminate Home Invading Pests: bugmd is the safe and effective way to target hundreds of indoor and outdoor pests including ants, fleas, mosquitoes, roaches, mites, moths, spiders and tons more This essential oil based spray is the perfect solution to keep your home, yard and other spaces pest free without ever sacrificing your family’s health and safety.
- One small concentrate bottle is all you need to create a 32 oz bottle of pest control spray that can easily be sprayed in and out of the home, including in bathrooms, bedrooms, pet areas, kitchens, baseboards, sheds, cabinets and gardens and outdoor areas. Simply add your full Essential Pest concentrate to 27 oz of cold water into a bugmd Essential “Forever” Spray bottle, shake and spray.
- Plant Based, Non-Toxic Formula: bugmd utilizes the power of plant oils such as cottonseed oil and clove oil, instead of toxic killers, chemical sprays and poisonous fumes, so you never have to worry about putting your family in danger while you effectively control pest invasions. bugmd is safe for wood, carpet and fabrics.
- Fast Acting Formula: Our essential oil based spray kills some species in seconds and eliminates all within 30 minutes. Plus, bugmd can even work on some species known to have resistance to typical insecticides and sprays. Utilize this versatile formula as often as needed to quickly and safely defend your home.
- Effectively Protect Your Home: Our multi-use pest control spray effectively kills insects at all stages of their lifecycle. From eggs, to larvae, to adults, our biopesticide powerfully treats and eliminates the invasion of pests at any stage, so you can enjoy a bug free home.
Additional Info :