Fleas not only cause can fleas cause anemia in dogs cats and humans to itch, but also can reduce the animal’s ability to clot blood. This can dangerlessly lead to massive internal bleeding. Although it is rarely life threatening or as widespread as cancer, internal bleeding can be another cause of anemia in dogs. Can fleas cause anemia in dogs? Fleas’ main effects on dogs, or any animal for that matter, is damage to the skin and hair. Various bacteria can be transmitted to pets from flea bites which may cause infections and other conditions like anemia. This article will tell you how flea bites affect dogs. Anemia is a condition wherein there’s a lower level of hemoglobin. This lowers the oxygen level in the blood. Hemoglobin delivers oxygen to all the cells and tissues of the body, so if there is less of it, then there will logically be less oxygen delivered to the body. While minor anemia may only result in fatigue in the patient, more severe anemia can lead to heart and lung failure, double vision, irritability, weakness in muscles and even can cause stroke. Anemia is a condition in which the volume of red blood cells or the quantity of hemoglobin is below the standard. Mild anemia that can be caused due to poor diet, stress, fever, gastrointestinal bleeding or medications may not cause any noticeable symptoms. If the anemia is severe, symptoms like pale gums, irritability and dizziness may occur. In fact, anemia is a common side effect of several medications. Fleas can cause a variety of illnesses, particularly in pets and humans. Usually, they are just a nuisance, but they may also transmit tapeworm larvae. In addition, some people develop an allergy to flea saliva during infestation, resulting in the symptoms of rhinitis, including a runny nose and watery eyes.
Can Fleas Cause Anemia In Dogs
What Is Anemia?
What is anemia?
Anemia is a condition in which there are fewer red blood cells than normal. Red blood cells carry oxygen, so when they’re not present in sufficient numbers, your dog’s body won’t have enough oxygen to function properly. This can lead to fatigue, weakness, and pale gums.
Symptoms of Anemia in Dogs
- Pale gums
- Skin pallor
- Loss of appetite
What Causes Anemia In Dogs
A dog with anemia has a lower than normal number of red blood cells. This condition can be caused by numerous things, including fleas and parasites, internal bleeding, disease, injury or infections. Some medications and some diseases (like cancer) can also cause anemia.
Does Your Dog Have Anemia?
The most common symptoms of anemia in dogs include pale gums, lethargy, a poor appetite and weakness. Some dogs may demonstrate vomiting and diarrhea as well. If you notice your dog exhibiting any of these signs, have him checked out by a veterinarian immediately.
If you’re not sure if your dog is anemic or not and you want to be sure before contacting your vet, there are some simple things you can do at home to check for anemia:
- Check for pale gums by gently pressing on the inside of his gums with a finger (you’ll know it’s too hard if he pulls away). Healthy gums should be pink; pale or white gums are a sign of anemia.
- Watch his tail movements over the course of several hours; if it seems that he’s moving very slowly when compared with other dogs in the house, that could be another symptom of anemia
How Do I Prevent My Dog From Getting anemia?
There are several ways to prevent your dog from developing anemia. In addition to keeping them flea-free, you should vacuum regularly and treat your yard and garden. Since fleas can live for up to 5 months without a host, it’s important to take care of the problem before it gets out of hand. Some effective products include Advantage II Flea Control for Dogs and K9 Advantix II Medicated Dog Spray (frontline plus).
Keep your dog flea-free to prevent him from getting anemia.
- Keep your dog flea-free. If you have a flea problem, your pet is likely to get anemia. Regularly treat the animal with a flea control solution and use other methods like grooming and vacuuming to remove the tiny pests from his coat before they can bite him.
- Wash bedding regularly in hot water. Wash rugs and carpets every three months or so to remove eggs that may be present on them and cause infestations when they hatch into larvae later on.
- Get rid of any dead rodents in the yard as soon as possible, since they will attract more fleas who feed off them before moving onto pets or people nearby
- Boost the immune system – Zesty Paws Aller-Immune Bites are grain free soft chews that support immune, histamine, and digestive health for dogs with skin, seasonal, and environmental allergy issues.
- Enhanced with Epicor – At 80 mg per chew, Epicor contains vitamins, protein, fiber, and antioxidants that are clinically proven to support the body’s natural immune defenses to keep your dog healthy.
- Prebiotic & Probiotic Complex – These supplements feature a powerful Prebiotic and five strains of Probiotics for 250 million cfu of healthy bacteria that supports pet digestion and immune health.
- Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil – Each chew contains Salmon Fish Oil to provide Omega 3 fatty acids epa & dha that provide skin and immune support for dogs with allergies that cause itching and hot spots.
- Natural Ingredients – These chewables contain Colostrum, a pre milk that helps with allergies, immune function, and digestion, plus Apple Cider Vinegar and Organic Licorice Root for additional care.
Additional Info :
- ONE CHEW, MANY BENEFITS – With this single dog probiotic you can deliver digestive support, promote healthy yeast production and encourage a normal immune response. Unlock a new world of happiness and comfort for your dog
- WORLD-CLASS INGREDIENTS – Our pet probiotic supplement contains a base of Inulin (prebiotic for dogs), Honey, and Pumpkin. Plus 8 strains of beneficial bacteria that aid digestion, optimize skin health, and support coat comfort
- EASY-TO-USE – Young puppy or a senior dog? Supporting their gut health shouldn’t be difficult. Our canine Chews are easy to use and easily absorbed, and thanks to their mouth-watering pork flavor, they are easy to give to even the fussiest of pups
- PREMIUM AMERICAN PRODUCT – No expense is spared during our manufacturing process. Our dog health supplies are exclusively manufactured in the USA in FDA-registered facilities utilizing safe, effective ingredients
- INVEST IN YOUR DOG’S HEALTH – Want to help your dog’s occasional itchy skin, paw licking, head shaking or loose stools? Subscribe and save today to join over 1 million dogs and pet parents thriving as part of the PetLab Co. family
Additional Info :
- 10 Benefits in 1 Daily Treat – PetHonesty’s 10-For-1 Multivitamin chews combine a well-rounded blend of the most essential vitamins and supplements for dogs’ overall daily health including glucosamine, probiotics, vitamins, and omega’s.
- Joint Health with Glucosamine – These natural supplement soft chews have high amounts of glucosamine and other joint support ingredients that may help reduce joint inflammation caused by normal activity and increase mobility and flexibility in your dog.
- Help Improve Digestion with 1 Billion CFU Probiotics – These one a day dog vitamins contain probiotics and pumpkin, which help keep your dog’s digestive system running smoothly and decrease occasional diarrhea, vomiting, and stomach issues due to normal environmental issues.
- Keep Skin + Coat Healthy with Omegas – Egg shell meal and omega’s from krill oil can help heal dry, itchy, and flaky skin and increases coat strength, shine, and overall health.
- Immune System + Heart Health with Vitamins A, C, and D3 – A blend of vitamins with antioxidant properties improves immune system and keeps heart strong and healthy. These soft chew treats are appealing and appetizing to dogs, making it easy for you to improve your dog’s overall health.
Additional Info :
- CONTAINS 7 STRAINS OF BENEFICIAL BACTERIA: A probiotic with multiple strains, each having different properties, has a potentially higher likelihood of colonization versus a single strain product
- SUPPORTS GASTROINTESTINAL HEALTH IN DOGS AND CATS: Imbalances such as stress from travel or kenneling, or change in diet can affect your pet’s gastrointestinal health; Signs of an imbalance include loose stool, decreased appetite, or vomiting
- CONTAINS PREBIOTICS TO SUPPORT GROWTH: Prebiotics are complex carbohydrates that can be used as a food source for our probiotic strains; This helps to support the growth of the probiotics within the intestinal tract and helps them to compete against the harmful bacteria for colonization of the intestines
- EASY TO GIVE: Contents of capsules can be easily sprinkled over food
Additional Info :
- DENAMARIN HELPS MAINTAIN THE HEALTH OF YOUR PET’S LIVER: The liver is one of the most vital organs in your pet and is responsible for removing toxins, storing energy, aiding digestion, and supporting the immune system
- PROVIDES LIVER PROTECTION AND DETOXIFICATION: Denamarin helps to increase levels of a potent antioxidant called glutathione, which helps with detoxifing the liver and may help in liver cell repair and regeneration
- No.1 veterinarian recommended liver support brand
- HIGH QUALITY INGREDIENTS: The Silybin (Milk Thistle Extract) in Denamarin has been shown to have higher absorption in dogs than the standardized milk thistle extract found in many other products.
- Made in the USA from globally sourced ingredients
Additional Info :