Many people think that fleas and mites are the same thing. They’re not. While they have a lot in common, there are key differences between fleas and mites that you need to know if you’re going to keep your pets healthy.
Fleas are insects that live on the skin of dogs and cats, feeding off their blood. They can also live in carpets, sofas, and bedding, feeding off people instead of animals.
Mites are microscopic bugs that live on the skin of dogs and cats (and sometimes people), feeding off their blood. Mites can also live in carpets and other fabrics, feeding off dust particles instead of animals or people.
Fleas have six legs (two pairs) while mites only have four legs (two pairs). This is one simple way to tell them apart—if you see little bugs running around on your pet’s skin with six legs, it’s probably not a mite.
Mites are more likely than fleas to cause allergic reactions in people who come into contact with them—they can even cause skin infections. Fleas usually don’t bother us unless we’re bitten by one
How do I know if I have fleas or mites?
Knowing whether you have fleas or mites can be a little tricky since the two pests often look similar to one another. However, if you look closely, you’ll see some distinct differences between them.
Fleas are small insects that live on your pet and feed off of its blood. They’re typically larger than ticks and can jump long distances. They also secrete a substance called “flea dirt” which is made up of their feces and dried blood. This material looks like tiny black or brown flecks and can be found around your pet’s fur or bedding.
Mites are parasites that burrow into the skin of animals and humans causing irritation and itching. They’re usually not visible to the naked eye but can be seen under magnification as small moving specks in affected areas such as a dog’s coat or paws.
Are mites and fleas different?
Mites and fleas are totally different species. Mites are arachnids, while fleas are insects. Mites don’t have wings or antennae, so they can’t fly or jump around like fleas can. Mites also tend to be much smaller than flea adults, with the largest ones being only about 1mm long.
Mites live in all sorts of environments, from desert sand dunes to tropical rainforests. They usually eat plants and fungi, but some mite species have been known to eat insects too.
Fleas live on land and feed on blood from animals like dogs and cats. Flea bites can cause itching and skin irritation in people who are bitten by them.
What are the signs of mites?
Mites can be found in many areas of the home and are often overlooked as a cause of health problems. Mites are tiny insects that live in carpets, bedding, and upholstered furniture. They feed on skin scales, hair, or dead skin cells.
Exposure to mites can lead to patches of small, red bumps on the skin accompanied by the following respiratory symptoms:
nasal congestion and sneezing.
itchy, red, or watery eyes.
itchy nose, mouth, or throat.
Does flea treatment kill mites?
Many of the medications you routinely give your pet for prevention of fleas, ticks, intestinal parasites and heartworms also kill mites.
Mites are a common cause of skin irritation in pets, and can cause a range of problems from mild itchiness to serious infections.
The most common type of mite found on dogs is Demodex canis (also known as demodicosis), which causes hair loss, redness and general irritation of the skin.
It’s important to note that not all dogs are affected by mites—some breeds are more susceptible than others, and some dogs may never develop symptoms at all. But if your dog does develop symptoms of demodectic mange, you’ll want to take action quickly.
List of product for Fleas And Mites
Here are the products we recommend for fleas and mites:
GREENIES Original Regular Natural Dog Dental Care Chews Oral Health Dog Treats, 36 oz. Pack (36 Treats)
Price : $33.98 ($15.10 / lb)
- Contains one (1) 36 ounce 36-count pack of Greenies Original Regular Size Natural Dental Dog Treats; Natural Dog Treats Plus Vitamins, Minerals and Other Nutrients for medium dogs
- The unique texture of Greenies Dog Chews cleans down to the gumline to fight plaque and tartar and freshen bad dog breath
- Greenies Treats for Dogs are veterinarian recommended and accepted by the VOHC (Veterinary Oral Health Council)
- Treat your dog fantastically with the great taste of Greenies Original Dental Treats
- Greenies Dog Treats are made with natural, easy-to-digest ingredients and are nutritionally complete
- Packaging might vary
Additional Info :
REVLON Oil-Absorbing Volcanic Face Roller, Reusable Facial Skincare Tool for At-Home or On-the-Go Mini Massage
Price : $12.99
- LIKE BLOTTING PAPERS, BUT BETTER: This face roller is made of real volcanic stone, which soaks up excess oil instantly. It’s our secret for fresh, shine-free skin any time. Use it on a clean or finished face—it won’t mess up your makeup
- MASSAGES AND MATTIFIES FACE: Rolling the stone roller across your skin feels heavenly, like a mini facial massage. Ditch your jade roller and use our 2-in-1 Mattifying face roller for oily and acne prone skin
- EASY TO USE: Gently roll the face roller ball over your T-zone or anywhere skin is shiny. That’s it
- LESS WASTE THAN BLOTTING PAPER: Unlike blotting papers for oily skin that are used once and thrown out, this oil-absorbing roller is reusable. To clean, twist the roller’s ring to unlock, and pull out the stone. Wash with a gentle cleanser, rinse, and air-dry before locking it back in
- LIVE BOLDLY WITH REVLON MAKEUP: Revlon has the quality beauty tools and high-pigment, the bold color makeup you need to be yourself. Our tools for the face, eyes, and nails are everyday essentials elevated through function, form, or and material (but still amazingly affordable)
Additional Info :
Price : $0.99
Additional Info :
Bio-Oil Skincare Oil, Body Oil for Scars and Stretchmarks, Dermatologist Recommended, Non-Comedogenic, For All Skin Types, with Vitamin A, E, 6.7 Fl Oz (Pack of 1), Red
Price : $22.99 ($3.43 / Fl Oz)
- IMPROVES APPEARANCE OF ACNE SCARS AND STRETCH MARKS – Clinically proven to help repair skin damage and scars from pregnancy, surgery, injury, acne, C-section, aging, and more. Bio-Oil is non comedogenic and a great acne scar treatment for face
- PACKED WITH POWERFUL, NATURAL OILS – Vitamin A Oil promotes the formation of new collagen and assists in skin renewal, increasing skin elasticity. Vitamin E Oil, Chamomile Oil, Sunflower Oil, and Lavender Oil are anti-inflammatory and promote healthy skin
- LOCKS IN ESSENTIAL MOISTURE WITHOUT CLOGGING PORES – Uniquely formulated, non-greasy body oil that hydrates skin and helps retain moisture to repair scars without clogging your pores. Effective acne scar healer and anti-aging face moisturizer for women
- HELPS SMOOTH UNEVEN SKIN TONES – Works naturally to improve the appearance of uneven skin tones, for light and dark skin tones. Mineral oil, one of Bio-Oil’s base oils, works both as an emollient, which keeps the skin soft and smooth, and as a moisturizer
- FORMULATED FOR ALL SKIN TYPES – Keep Bio-Oil Skincare Oil on-hand to ensure the whole household is covered. Safe for pregnant women, this is the perfect mothers day present for expectant moms. Bio-Oil helps soften skin and repairs damage for all types, tones, textures, and areas of your skin
Additional Info :
TruSkin Vitamin C Serum for Face, Anti Aging Serum with Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin E, Organic Aloe Vera and Jojoba Oil, Hydrating & Brightening Serum for Dark Spots, Fine Lines and Wrinkles, 1 fl oz
Price : $19.19
- ANTI AGING FACE SERUM – Vitamin C blends with Botanical Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin E, Witch Hazel, and Jojoba Oil in an anti aging, skin brightening formula designed to improve wrinkles and dark spots
- OUR CUSTOMERS KNOW BEST – Don’t just take our word for it, see thousands of reviews from real Amazon customers rave about brighter, fresher looking skin
- PLANT-BASED FORMULATION – No added synthetic colors, fragrances, parabens, phthalates, sulfates, PEGs, or GMOs. Our active botanicals combine in a silky smooth anti-aging serum that can be used day or night.
- CERTIFIED CRUELTY FREE by Leaping Bunny, our Vitamin C facial serum is also formulated, manufactured and bottled in the USA for guaranteed freshness
- EXTENDED MANUFACTURER GUARANTEE – Love it or your money back. If for any reason you decide this product isn’t a good fit for your skin, we offer a 90-day money-back refund. The expiration date is printed on the barcode sticker attached to the packaging.
Additional Info :
Mites are tiny insects that live on your pet’s skin. They can cause itchiness and irritation, especially in areas where the mites are concentrated, like your dog’s feet or under its tail.
Fleas are also small insects, but they live in your house and move between your pet and you. They can cause anemia in pets, as well as irritation to your own skin if you’re bitten by them.