No matter the size of your home, at one point it will become infested with an ant problem. How did ants get into your home anyway? Ants have no problem getting through the tiniest cracks into your home. They will find their way inside and make their colony in the walls or floors of your house. Luckily, several methods exist that you can use to repel ants and keep them from returning to your home for good. If you want to know how to repel ants using mothballs then continue reading this article. Mothballs are one of the most common and inexpensive ant repellents. When applied to ant trails, mothballs will break down over several days and release a vapor which will keep ants away. I’ve been personally using mothballs for years, though as a deterrent to other living creatures seeking to join me in my home, not ants. Are you a homeowner who is wondering whether mothballs can be used to keep ants away? You’re not alone. We’ve all seen the cute little ladybug and thought it was the perfect solution to our pest problem. But maybe we didn’t fully understand that ladybugs eat aphids which are plant based pests. Ants on the other hand prefer sugar which is found in….um…our sugar. So, instead of relying on Ladybugs what are some things you can do to prevent ants from getting into your home? Home remedies and solutions are all the rage these days. I’ve found numerous home remedies for repelling ants from the Internet, but I’m not sure which ones work. And since I have a serious ant problem in my kitchen (and I need a solution pronto) I’m going to test out my fair share of home remedies.
Do Mothballs Repel Ants
If you’ve ever tried using mothballs to get rid of ants, you may have had a less than satisfactory experience. This is because the chemicals in mothballs are not really meant to repel ants. In fact, they’re not even supposed to be used outdoors! However, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t ways to use them as an ant repellent. If you want to know more about how this works and some tips for using mothballs outside, check out our guide below!
Do Mothballs Repel Ants?
Mothballs are made from naphthalene, which is toxic to ants. Mothballs will not kill ants; they simply repel them. In order to keep ants away from your home or shed, use mothballs in the same way you would use other types of repellent sprays (like Raid). Place them around the perimeter of your home, keeping them close enough that they can be reached by an ant if it comes too close but far enough away so that they do not come into contact with people or pets who may be in the area.
Mothballs are an effective way to keep ants out of a particular space, as long as those spaces are ventilated properly and kept at a safe distance from areas where people will be spending time (like kitchens).
The smell of the mothballs will repel ants.
The smell of mothballs is a deterrent to ants. The chemical naphthalene, which is used to make mothballs, doesn’t affect humans or pets in any negative way. It’s just strong enough to keep ants away from your home or garden.
How long will mothballs repel ants?
Mothballs will repel ants for a few months, but are not a permanent solution. They will not kill ants either; they simply drive them away from your home. To be effective against ants, the mothballs must be placed where the insects can smell them, which is typically under your house or in the soil near trees. If you place this chemical at risk of getting into groundwater sources or harming animals that live nearby (such as squirrels), then it’s important to use caution when using mothballs as an insect repellent.
How to use mothballs to get rid of ants?
To make a mothball repellent, you will need:
- Mothballs (the kind that have been treated with naphthalene flakes)
- A container of some sort, such as an empty glass jar or can. Make sure it’s airtight so the mothballs don’t dry out.
Step 1: Place your mothballs inside the container and seal it shut with tape or something similar. You want to ensure there are no holes for air circulation so that the naphthalene flakes stay effective at repelling insects for longer periods of time.
Step 2: Place this container wherever you’d like to repel ants—it could be near their nest if you know where it is, or somewhere in your yard where they’re often seen roaming about looking for food sources (like under trees).
Where to place the mothballs outside.
Mothballs are not a long-term solution. You should consider other options to deal with ant infestations, such as treating your yard for ants or getting a pest control company to assess the problem and recommend a treatment plan.
If you’re already getting bites from ants in certain areas of your home, try placing mothballs in those areas before bedtime. Mothballs repel ants because they have an unpleasant odor that ants dislike and won’t go near. If you don’t know where the ants are coming from, try placing them in several different places around the house: under sinks where pipes connect to walls; under stoves; behind appliances such as refrigerators or dishwashers; near countertops where food is prepared; along baseboards within 10 feet of doors entering rooms (because this is where most people walk); around sinks and faucets outside bathrooms (if there’s no window nearby), etc..
Where to place the mothballs inside.
The mothballs should be placed in the room where you have seen ants. You can also place them in areas where you have found ant trails, nests and hills. The mothballs will need to be placed in these areas so that they can kill all the ants there.
Pros and cons of using mothballs to get rid of ants.
Mothballs are toxic to people and pets. These chemicals can build up in the soil and affect the health of nearby plants, and they’re also harmful to birds, fish, and other wildlife.
They should not be used as a long-term solution to ant problems in your house—instead, you should call an exterminator who will use safer methods to get rid of ants in your home.
Mothballs will help keep ants out of your shed or other storage area, but you should think about whether you need them for that purpose before using them.
Mothballs are effective at keeping ants out of your shed or other storage area, but you should think about whether you need them for that purpose before using them. Mothballs are dangerous for children and pets to ingest. They also don’t protect food that’s in a sealed container from being contaminated by ants. If you have a food storage area in your home, mothballs aren’t the best solution for keeping it free from pests like ants.
If you think that using mothballs is the way to go for you, then here is a quick refresher: Mothballs can be used outside and inside to keep ants away. When placing them in your home or shed, be sure they are not accessible by pets or children. They should not be eaten because they are toxic! If you have any questions about how to use this method of ant control, please feel free to contact us at any time. We would love to help make your life easier with our expertise!
Bonide Repels-All Animal Repellent, Granules 3 lbs, Deer and Rabbit Repellent
Price : $14.24
- STRONG REPELLER – This unique blend of ingredients causes mild irritation to animal’s nasal passages. When an animal touches, tastes, or smells Repels-All Animal Repellent, it triggers the natural instinct to escape/avoid and the pest leaves.
- ANIMALS AFFECTED – Our granules repel species of squirrel, deer, rabbit, chipmunk, mouse, skunk, rat, beaver, raccoon, porcupine, bird, groundhog and more rodent species.
- DEFEND YOUR GARDEN AND HOME – Apply around homes, gardens, garbage cans, barns, swimming pools, sheds, woodpiles, decks, patios, and campsites to prevent grazing, chewing, gnawing, nibbling and browsing damage to plants and property.
- BIODEGRADABLE – Repels-All granules are biodegradable and will not harm animals, lawns, gardens, flowerbeds, or other desirable plants when used as directed.
Additional Info :
Stay Away FBA_360310 Repellent Pest Control Scent Pouches-All Natural, No Mess, and Environmentally Safe-1 Pack-Not for Sale in NM, SD, Ants, 2 Ounce
Price : $11.78 ($4.71 / Ounce)
- FAST ACTING – Stay Away Ants scent pouches, placed where food particles are present, keep them out of treated areas for up to 60 days.
- NON-TOXIC – The plant based active ingredients [lemongrass, peppermint, and thyme essential oils], along with patented design ensures Stay Away Ants is high performance.
- NO-MESS, EASY TO USE – Remove plastic wrap from pouch. Use one pouch per cupboard or small space; two pouches per large pantry. Replace when scent has diminished.
- ETHICAL/ENVIRONMENTAL – Made in the USA by EarthKind, Stay Away is the first pest prevention line made entirely out of plant-based ingredients including essential oils and plant fiber. EarthKind operates with a 2% carbon footprint, and hires 20% developmentally disabled workforce for assembly of products. Over the past 10 years, EarthKind has won multiple awards and has been the natural leader in DIY pest control with a 97% Net Promoter Score (NPS means customers promote our brands).
- PROTECT YOUR PROPERTY – Use Stay Away Ants pouches anywhere ants go to find food: pantries, cupboards, kitchens, basements, or places you would like to prevent them from entering.
Additional Info :
|Color||Stay Away Ants|
Enoz Moth Balls, 2 Pk
Price : $7.99
- You will receive (2) Enoz Original Moth Ball Boxes – 4 oz. each
- Kills moths and carpet beetles while protecting clothing with no clinging odor
- Ideal for use in drawers, trunks and chests, EPA approved
- The mothballs in each container can treat up to 12. 5 cu. Ft.
- One ounce of mothballs or 8 mothballs can treat up to 3 cu. Ft of storage space
Additional Info :
Eco Defense Pest Control Pouches – All Natural – Repels Rodents, Spiders, Roaches, Ants, Moths, Squirrels, & Other Pests – 12 Pack
Price : $39.95
- NATURALLY REPEL PESTS – A patented encapsulation process combines the ultra-powerful combination of essential oils in a convenient to use pouch form, proven to repel a multitude of different pests. Cedar, Cinnamon, Lemongrass, Rosemary, Mint, and Peppermint oil create the ultimate pest control barrier. Proven safe mouse repellent for indoor and outdoor use.
- LONG-LASTING PROTECTION – Our 12 PACK of Pest Control Pouches last from 6 months to 1 year. Place in a small-enclosed area to repel Rats, Mice, Spiders, Silverfish, Roaches, Ants, Pantry Moth, Snakes, Squirrels, and dozens of other pests. Contains a powerful amount of peppermint oil to repel mice and rats. Works like magic as a squirrel repellent to keep them out of your attic and basement.
- NO MESS, EASY TO USE – Simply place 1 odorant pouch in any enclosed space up to 10 cubic feet to deter pests from intrusion or nesting. Perfect for closets, pantries, vehicles, RV, practically anywhere. Great rodent repellent for car engines that keep rats and mice from chewing on your engine’s wiring and cables.
- SAFE AND ECONOMICAL – Pest Block Pest Control Pouches are the safe alternative to chemicals and poison. The clean fresh smell of 100% pure essential oils repel pests & are always safe around you and your family. The perfect alternative to a Mouse Trap, Rat Trap, Rat poison, Roach Killer, Insect Killer, Moth Trap, Moth Balls, or Pest Repeller. 1 Pouch ALL PESTS.
- MONEY BACK GUARANTEE – Try Our Pest Control Pouches 100% Risk-Free for 60 days and if you are not absolutely satisfied with the pest repelling results, we will immediately refund your entire purchase.
Additional Info :
Enoz Moth Balls 4oz, 6-Packages Protects Against Clothes Moths, Carpet Beetles and Their Eggs and Larvae. Moth Killer
Price : $13.24 ($0.55 / Ounce)
- ENOZ PARA MOTH BALLS: These moth balls kill destructive moths, moth eggs & moth larvae; Para Moth Balls are designed for long term or seasonal storage, in sealed containers in blanket chests, drawers, sweater boxes & trunks for worry free moth protection during storage
- KILLS CLOTHES MOTHS, EGGS & LARVAE: Enoz moth preventatives are a sure method of moth repellent;Enoz moth balls kill clothing moths, moth eggs, and moth larvae, making them great for use in sealed containers in closets, drawers and storage
- WILLERT HOME PRODUCTS: Willert Home Products began in 1946 with a single moth repellant product;Still owned & operated by the Willert family, we make over 100 home cleaning supplies & pest control items, including Ty-D-Bol, Bowl Fresh, airBOSS & Enoz
- Package Dimensions: 4 L x 4 W x 1 H Inch
Additional Info :