Swelling from a bedbug bite isn’t an indication of infection, but rather an indication of inflammation and pain experienced by the human skin as either a response to a bite or as a result of irritation from scratching.
What Causes Swelling After Being Bitten by Bed bugs?
There are several theories regarding this issue, but there is currently no conclusive evidence showing that bed bug bites cause swelling. The swelling in the face and neck is most often caused by infectious diseases (bacterial infection), allergic reactions to bites or the sting of some insects, environmental factors, and more. Bed bug bites can cause swelling and more serious complications. If you have been bitten by bed bugs, it is important to seek immediate treatment.
Swelling associated with insect bites occurs due to the release of histamine and other chemicals by the skin and surrounding tissue. The compounds cause blood vessels under the surface of the skin to dilate, which allows more blood to flow back into these areas from other parts of your body. This can result in an elevated body temperature and lead to excessive sweating as well as an increased heart rate. If this happens too frequently or if you have a weak immune system, then you could suffer a serious case of heat exhaustion or heat stroke.
How Long Do Bed Bug Bites Stay Swollen?
It’s difficult to say how long bed bug bites will stay swollen. The bites are very small, and they can be hard to spot at first. That said, if you do notice a swelling that lasts longer than three days, you should probably go see a doctor.
It’s also important to know that bed bugs are not the only insect or arachnids that can cause swelling in the skin. If you have any reason to believe that you’ve been bitten by another type of insect or spider, it’s best to see your doctor as soon as possible.
Are Bed Bug Bites Supposed to Swell?
Bed bugs are one of the most common pests that can plague your home. They are small, and brownish in color and their bites can itch like crazy.
If you have been bitten by a bed bug, you will be able to see the bites as they swell up and turn red or purple in color. The bites may be itchy and uncomfortable but they do not cause serious health issues.
If you notice that your skin is becoming red or swollen after being bitten by a bed bug, it may indicate that you are allergic to them. If this is the case, then you should take steps to get rid of these pests as soon as possible since they can cause severe allergic reactions if they bite someone who is allergic to them.
There are several ways that you can treat bed bug bites so that they heal faster and do not become infected with bacteria or other types of germs that could lead to an infection if left untreated for too long (ehow, 2018).
How Do You Treat a Swollen Bed Bug Bite?
Bed bug bites are generally not dangerous and are rarely fatal. However, some people may experience allergic reactions to the bites, which can be severe if left untreated. If you notice that your bed bug bites have become swollen, it’s important to treat them immediately.
The first thing you should do is wash the area of your skin where you were bitten gently with soap and water. You should also apply an antiseptic solution to help prevent infection of the bite wound. If you have access to hydrocortisone cream, use this as well to reduce swelling and itching.
If your bite becomes severely swollen or infected, seek medical attention right away so that your doctor can determine if there is any underlying medical condition causing these symptoms. If no other issues are found, they will likely prescribe an antihistamine and antibiotic ointment for treatment purposes only until the swelling goes down enough that it has no impact on daily activities anymore (like walking around comfortably).
What Chemical Kills Bed Bugs and Their Eggs?
A chemical that kills bed bugs and their eggs is Permethrin. It is one of the most popular insecticides used to kill bed bug infestations, but it does not work on its own. Permethrin is a synthetic pyrethroid which means it works by attacking the nervous system of insects, ultimately causing paralysis and death. The chemical binds to the chitin exoskeleton of insects, preventing them from forming new cells. This prevents the insect from growing and reproducing.
List Of Bed Bug Bites Treatment
If you’ve been bitten by a bed bug, there’s no need for panic. Here are best bed bug bites treatment you can buy and use:
Beurer BR60 Insect Sting and Bite Relief, Bug Bite Healer for Chemical-Free Treatment of Insect Bites and Stings, Non-Toxic Natural Relief from Itching and Swelling, for Mosquito Bites
- SYMPTOM RELIEF: The insect bite healer helps combat itching and swelling after insect bites by using heat to accelerate the healing process – insect bite relief from mosquitos, wasps, bugs, and bees
- CHEMICAL-FREE: Non-toxic and safe to use, the insect bite pen only uses heat and is suitable for pregnant women, you can avoid chemical products like bug bite creams or bug sprays
- FAST AND EFFECTIVE: The quick-warming ceramic plate is ready for use almost immediately and application takes just 3-6 seconds, depending on which of the 2 programs you’ve chosen – suitable for all ages and sensitive skin
- EASY TO USE: Place the bug bite pen on the affected area, then press the button and wait 3-6 seconds until you hear the beep and the heating stops – super simple and easy to use
- PORTABLE DESIGN: The bug bite healer is battery-operated, compact, and lightweight and is the ideal accessory for travel, camping and other outdoor activities – ready whenever you need it
Mite-B-Gone 10% Sulfur Lotion Itch Relief for Insect Bites, Acne, Itching, Discomfort & Redness | Fast & Effective Relief for Itch with an All-Natural Blend of Anti-Inflammatory Ingredients | 8 oz
- Mite-B-Gone Sulfur Lotion is a natural blend of nourishing essential oils and botanicals that quickly relieve itch from bug bites, acne, seborrheic dermatitis, and eczema, as well as skin discomfort and nail irritations.
- Mite-B-Gone’s Lotion is a 100% Natural Formula that includes Sunflower Seed Oil and Tea Tree Oil. This known soothing and anti-inflammatory blend quickly counteracts itching and progressively clears up discomfort.
- You may notice the Sulfur micro-particles have a slightly gritty texture to your soap. Sulfur is keratolytic, which means that it works to loosen the outer layer of the skin and shed those dead skin cells. This results in deeper penetration!
- Mite-B-Gone Lotion gives you lasting relief WITHOUT harsh chemicals or irritation
- Proudly small-batched by our skilled production technicians in our FDA Registered Facility right outside Atlanta, Georgia, here in the USA.
- 3-Year Shelf Life
Spenco 2nd Skin Squares Soothing Protection, Gel Squares 200-Count, Bacterial Barrier, One Size
- Medical-grade gel adhesive squares sooth, cool, and protect
- Hypoallergenic, latex free, and non-medicated, these hydrogel squares can be used for scrapes, cuts and burns
- Made mostly from water so the dressings will not stick to the skin for painless removal
- Ideal for use in clinics, training rooms, and first aid kits
- 200 gel squares (non-sterile). 1 inch x 1 inch / 2.5cm x 2.5cm
Bed bug bites are not a serious concern if you have no allergies or other health issues. However, if you do have a preexisting condition, the bites can cause swelling, itching, and redness. If you notice symptoms of an allergic reaction, seek medical attention immediately.