Citronella is a plant that has been around for centuries. The plant has been used for many purposes, including flavorings for food and perfumes. It is also commonly used in candles and insect repellents. Many people believe that citronella can repel fleas from their homes and pets, but does it really work?
The answer to this question depends on whether you are using citronella oil or citronella candles. When you use the oil, it is applied directly to your pet or your home and should be effective at repelling fleas. However, when you use the candles, they will only repel mosquitoes because mosquitoes are attracted to the odor of citronella rather than other insects like fleas and ticks.
Citronella is an essential oil that has been used for centuries to repel mosquitoes, fleas, and other insects. It smells nice, so you may want to use it in your home to ward off these pests. But can citronella repel fleas?
Citronella is an essential oil that comes from the leaves of the lemongrass plant. It has a light citrus scent that is quite pleasant to humans, but not so much for insects. In fact, citronella oil has been shown to have insect repellent properties in several studies conducted by the University of Texas at Austin.
The insect repellent properties of citronella are due to a chemical called geraniol, which makes up about 50% of the essential oil. Geraniol is toxic to fleas and some other insects because it disrupts their nervous systems when they come into contact with it. It does not kill them directly, but rather prevents them from being able to sense their environment properly and therefore avoid areas where they might be exposed to geraniol again in the future (like your home).
What Is Citronella?
Citronella is a plant that grows in the tropics. It has a distinctive lemony scent and flavor, which is why it’s often used as a flavoring in food and drinks. It also contains citronellol, which has been shown to have insect repelling properties.
The plant’s name comes from the Latin word “citrus” meaning citrus, and “nella” meaning lemon tree. The oil from citronella plants contains chemicals called ketones, which are believed to be responsible for its mosquito-repelling properties.
Citronella is used in many insect repellent products today, including candles and lotions. It has also been shown to be effective against ticks and fleas.
Is Citronella Effective Against Fleas
Citronella is an essential oil that comes from a plant called Cymbopogon nardus, and it’s often used as a natural insect repellent. It has been shown to be effective against mosquitoes, ticks, and fleas. Citronella oil is also used in many commercial products, so people often use citronella candles to repel pests of all kinds.
Citronella can be effective against fleas if they are exposed to it in high enough concentrations. Flea bites are painful and can cause itching and infections, which is why many people use citronella candles or sprays to keep fleas away from their pets or children. When using citronella candles or sprays, make sure you don’t use them too close to your pets or near their food bowls. You should also avoid any products that contain essential oils, which can be harmful to animals if ingested in large amounts
How Do You Use Citronella for Fleas?
Citronella oil is a natural insect repellent that has been used for many years to keep bugs away from people and their pets. It works by making insects feel uncomfortable and insecure, so they choose to stay away from the area where the oil is present.
You can use citronella oil in several ways to repel fleas. One way to use it is by putting a few drops on your dog’s collar or into his food dish before he eats each day. You can also put some drops into a spray bottle with water and spray it on your dog’s fur or onto his bedding. This will help keep flea larvae away from your dog while they are developing in their cocoons, which could prevent them from emerging as adult fleas later on.
If you have indoor cats, another option is to mix up a spray using water, citronella oil and baking soda and then apply it around areas where cats tend to lay down most often (like near doors or windows).
How Harmful Is Citronella to Human and Pets?
Citronella is generally considered to be a safe product, but there are some reports of adverse reactions in humans and animals when exposed to high levels of citronella.
When used as an insect repellent, citronella can be harmful for pets if they are exposed to it for extended periods of time. The concentration of citronella in an insect repellent should not exceed 10%, so most products will only contain trace amounts of it anyway. However, if your pet is particularly sensitive to citronella or other essential oils, then you should be careful about using these products around them. If you or your pet has sensitive skin or respiratory issues, you should avoid using citronella-based products. In addition, if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding, it’s best to talk with your doctor before using these products.
Inhaling large amounts of citronella oil may cause coughing, sneezing and sore throat. Swallowing large amounts may cause vomiting or diarrhea. If you have any questions about the safety of using citronella products around your pets or children, talk with your doctor first before using them at all.
Homemade Citronella Flea Repellent
This is a great homemade flea repellent recipe. It’s easy to make and keeps you and your pet safe from the effects of fleas.
- * 1/2 cup of water
- * 1/2 cup of rubbing alcohol
- * 5 drops of liquid citronella oil (or any essential oil)
Mix all ingredients together in a spray bottle. Shake well before each use. Spray on your dog’s coat, taking care not to get it in their eyes or mouth.
List of Fleas Repellent and Where to Buy
Fleas are annoying, and they can make your dog’s life miserable. But there are ways to fight back. Here’s a list of flea repellents you can use:
ANGRY ORANGE Pet Odor Eliminator for Strong Odor – Citrus Deodorizer for Strong Dog Urine or Cat Pee Smells on Carpet, Furniture & Indoor Outdoor Floors – 24 Fluid Ounces – Puppy Supplies
Price : $19.97 ($19.97 / Count)
- Powerful – A little goes a long way with the Angry Orange pet odor eliminator for home use. It’s a carpet deodorizer that targets strong, lingering smells at the source and destroys them.
- Citrus Scent – Derived from fresh orange peels, our carpet cleaner for pets smells like heaven and works like hell on stubborn odors.
- Ready to Use – This bottle of urine odor eliminator can be used directly on cat pee or dog waste. No mixing required.
- Convenient – For best results, remove pets from area, clean excess mess, shake well & spray, let dry completely. Do not apply product directly to your pet or use in a diffuser. Cats & Birds may be sensitive to concentrated levels of certain ingredients.
- Multipurpose – This pet carpet cleaner can also be used to eliminate odors from tile, couch upholstery, garbage cans, car interiors, and more.
Additional Info :
FRONTLINE Plus for Cats and Kittens (1.5 pounds and over) Flea and Tick Treatment, 3 Doses
Price : $38.99
- Waterproof flea and tick treatment for cats and kittens: Frontline Plus for Cats provides waterproof, fast-acting, long-lasting flea and tick treatment and control for your cat. This product is approved for use on cats and kittens 1.5 lbs and over.
- Break the flea life cycle with frontline: Frontline flea and tick treatment for cats kills adult fleas plus flea eggs and larvae to stop existing infestations and prevent establishment of new infestations.
- Kills fleas and ticks: Frontline flea and tick treatment for cats kills fleas, flea eggs, lice, and ticks. This flea and tick treatment kills ticks, including those that may transmit Lyme disease.
- Trusted flea and tick protection for cats: Frontline Plus for Cats has been trusted by veterinarians for nearly 20 years. Made with 2 tough killing ingredients, fipronil and (S)-methoprene – one to kill adult fleas and ticks and the second to kill flea eggs and larvae – this fast-acting, long-lasting protection provides flea and tick control for cats and kittens 8 weeks and older.
- Lasting flea and tick protection: Frontline’s long-lasting formula is stored in the oil glands of the cat’s skin to give non-stop flea and tick protection for a full 30 days. Frontline flea and tick treatment for cats works non-stop for a full 30 days. A 3-dose supply lasts for 3 months.
Additional Info :
Mighty Mint – 16oz Insect and Pest Control Peppermint Oil – Natural Spray for Spiders, Ants, and More – Non Toxic
Price : $18.98
- Extra Concentrated for Long-Lasting Protection
- Natural Ingredients Proven Effective in the Real World
- Large 16oz Bottle
- Powerful Essential Oil
Additional Info :
Repel 100 Insect Repellent, Pump Spray, 4-Fluid Ounces, 10-Hour Protection
Price : $7.47 ($1.87 / Fl Oz)
- REPELS: Create a barrier against mosquitoes, including those that may transmit the Zika, West Nile, Dengue and Chikungunya viruses, ticks, gnats, biting flies, chiggers and fleas.
- FORMULATED FOR SEVERE INSECT CONDITIONS: Contains 98.11% DEET for protection in heavily infested conditions.
- PROTECTS FOR UP TO 10 HOURS: Enjoy the outdoors without the bite – provides long-lasting protection, so you don’t have to limit your adventure because of bugs.
- ALSO REPELS TICKS, GNATS, BITING FLIES, CHIGGERS & FLEAS: Create a barrier against annoying bugs that can spoil the outdoors.
- PUMP SPRAY: Perfect for outdoor travel – the compact size stores perfectly with whatever adventure gear you’re taking that day.
Additional Info :
SALLYE ANDER No-Bite-Me Natural Bug & Insect Repellent & Anti Itch Cream – Safe for Kids and Infants – Repels Mosquitoes, Black Flies, Fleas, and Ticks – 2 oz
Price : $14.95 ($7.48 / Fl Oz)
- ALL IN ONE REPELLENT AND ANTI-ITCH: “No-Bite-Me” DOES IT ALL. Forgot to apply “No-Bite-Me” and got some bug bites? No problem: it’s an anti-itch cream too. Other creams make you choose between repelling bugs and treating uncomfortable bug bites, but “No-Bite-Me” prevents and repairs bug-bombed skin. Effective on black flies, mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks.
- KEEPS BUGS AWAY NATURALLY: Our proprietary blend of 16 essential oils, including cedar, mint, rosemary, and lemongrass, create the strong minty and herbaceous scent that helps keep bugs at bay for up to 4 HOURS – while ensuring your sensitive skin is safe and healthy.
- SAFE FOR CHILDREN: “No-Bite-Me” is a completely safe, natural bug repellent. It’s easy to apply – just dot on exposed skin and blend in. No mess. No fuss. Deet free to protect even the smallest adventurers.
- FULL SIZE FOR BEST VALUE: Our 8oz tin of “No-Bite-Me” cream is amazing for the seasoned traveler. Throw a tin in your backpack, or keep it handy when camping. One tin provides plenty of relief for you and the whole family.
- SALLYE ANDER PROMISE: When you buy Sallye Ander products, you can rest assured knowing you are supporting a company committed to quality and the environment. All products are 100% handmade in the USA from organic locally sourced ingredients, and we’re completely cruelty-free
Additional Info :
Citronella oil is one of the most effective natural remedies for flea control and prevention. A few drops of citronella oil can be added to your dog’s food or rubbed onto their skin, which will repel fleas. Citronella oil is also non-toxic and safe to use on dogs and humans. However, citronella oil alone is not a complete solution for flea infestation. You should also treat your home with an insecticidal spray or fogger, as well as vacuum frequently to remove dead fleas and eggs.