Dog scratch fever? Flea droppings on the kitchen floor? This little creature is a major nuisance, and without professional flea control products, you’ll never get rid of them. Here are some home remedies for fleas on cats and dogs. Flea infestations can become a problem all year round and can spread from dog to cat and back again with disastrous consequences. The best way to get rid of fleas is an integrated approach that uses several prevention and elimination methods. There are millions of fleas in the world. To you they may not seem like a big deal but to your cats they are. There are plenty of ways to get rid of fleas in houses and even if you have a dog or another animal that is bugging your pet, try these home remedies for house fleas.
Home Remedies For House Fleas
Fleas in the home can be an infestation nightmare. They get on your clothes and if you have pets, they’ll get on them too. It doesn’t take long to have an infestation on your hands and then you will need professional help. There are several natural and commercial ways to control fleas. If a flea problem is caught early enough, you may avoid a total infestation and keep it to one or two rooms.
Oops! Click Regenerate Content below to try generating this section again.
Preventing Fleas in Your Home
There are several ways you can prevent fleas from infesting your home.
- Cleaning: Vacuum regularly and wash bedding, rugs and carpets every 2-3 days.
- De-cluttering: Clear away any clutter which may provide shelter for fleas to hide in such as old clothing.
- Water bowls: If you have pets, ensure that they are not left without access to water; the bowl should be emptied and scrubbed down daily – do not leave food within reach of your pets while they drink as this will attract pests!
Vacuum carpeted areas frequently
Vacuum carpeted areas frequently. If you can remove your carpeting and treat it, this is the best way to deal with fleas. If that’s not possible, vacuum carpets weekly and clean furniture and upholstery weekly. Vacuum all cracks (in walls) as well, removing lint or dust balls if present. Vacuum rugs and mats too!
Mow the lawn regularly
Regularly mowing your lawn can ensure that no fleas will be able to hide in the grass, as well as keeping it clean and healthy. If you don’t have a lawn, ensure bushes, hedges and trees are kept trimmed so they cannot shelter fleas.
Use Diatomaceous Earth (DE)
Diatomaceous earth is a natural powder made from the fossilized shells of tiny, aquatic organisms called diatoms. It’s a nontoxic product that works by scratching the waxy coatings on flea exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate and die.
It’s important to note that DE won’t keep your fleas away if you don’t have an active infestation already in your home—that means it won’t protect against future infestations. However, it can be helpful in controlling current ones.
Home Remedies for Fleas
- Spraying with vinegar and water is a good way to kill fleas in your home. Pour white or apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle and mix it with water, then spray it on your carpets and furniture. You can also put some cotton balls soaked in vinegar under the cushions of your couch or chairs, but make sure you don’t leave them there long enough for them to dry out and start smelling like vinegar!
- Lemon spray is another effective way to get rid of fleas in your home. Spray lemon juice on the carpet, furniture, bedding and other areas where you think there may be fleas lurking around; this will not only kill any adult insects that are present but also prevent more from hatching later on (if they aren’t already). You can also use diluted lemonade instead if you want something less potent than fresh-squeezed citrus juice but still effective at killing pests – just remember not to drink any leftover solution afterwards!
- Garlic has been known for its antibacterial properties since ancient times; many people have used raw cloves as an effective way of repelling parasites like ticks or mosquitoes when camping outdoors without needing chemical pesticides at all 🙂 To protect against these pests indoors as well though requires much less effort than applying crushed cloves directly onto skin surfaces before going out hiking all day long haha… Instead simply sprinkle some garlic powder onto carpets/rugs/etcetera where pets walk often throughout day-to-day life so that they become infected too 😉
Frequent vacuuming and cleaning
- Vacuum carpets frequently. Vacuuming your carpet daily will remove fleas and their eggs, which can be found in the carpet and on furniture.
- Clean pet bedding regularly. Wash or replace any pet bedding, such as blankets and pillows, every two weeks to prevent fleas from reproducing there.
- Vacuum furniture often. Flea larvae can live in upholstered furniture for up to two months without feeding off a host animal; frequent vacuuming prevents them from maturing into adult fleas that bite humans or pets.
- Wash any pet toys regularly in hot water with detergent and bleach (or toss them out). Regularly washing your pets’ toys will keep them free of flea eggs and larvae; this also prevents people from accidentally ingesting these items when they’re playing outside!
Spraying vinegar solution
If you’re keen on using vinegar as a flea repellent, here’s what you need to know:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with 1 cup of water in a spray bottle.
- Shake well.
- Spray the solution on carpets, furniture and pet bedding at least once per week.
If this method doesn’t work, try adding 10 drops of citronella essential oil to the mixture before applying it to your home. This can help deter insects from entering your house and will make them more likely to leave when they encounter the vinegar repellent spray. If neither works for you, consider hiring professional pest control services instead (or check out these other DIY remedies).
Use lemon spray
If you have a flea problem, there are several ways to get rid of them. One of these is lemon spray. Lemons are known for their natural repellent properties and they can kill fleas by dehydrating them. You should be able to find lemons at your local grocery store or supermarket. Make sure you only use organic lemons that have no pesticides on them as this will harm your pet if licked off its fur.
Lemon spray is easy to make at home using:
- 1 cup water (distilled or filtered)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
Using garlic and brewer’s yeast for dogs
While garlic’s smell may be unpleasant, it does possess some health benefits for dogs. Add fresh garlic cloves or garlic powder to your dog’s food to repel fleas. Brewer’s yeast has been shown to help control the number of fleas on your dog and is also good for their skin, coat and overall health. While brewer’s yeast can be found at most supermarkets in the supplement section, you can also buy it online if you don’t have a store nearby that carries it.
Combine 2 tablespoons of brewer’s yeast with one teaspoon of warm water (or milk) until dissolved. Mix into a tablespoon per 20 pounds of body weight for daily use; for puppies under 4 months old, mix in half a tablespoon instead of 1 teaspoon.*
If using raw garlic cloves: crush 3-5 cloves together; rub into your dog’s coat once per week while shampooing him afterwards.* Do not use on puppies under 4 months old due to risk of stomach upset; consult with veterinarian first before giving any supplements or herbs to young animals who haven’t had all their vaccinations yet!
Baking soda for carpets
A common home remedy for fleas is to sprinkle baking soda all over your carpet, leave it there for a day or two, and then vacuum up the baking soda. This will kill some of the adult fleas and their eggs. If this doesn’t work on its own, you may have to repeat this process multiple times until you no longer see any signs of fleas. It’s also important that when you do vacuum, you go into all the areas where they might hide–like under furniture or along baseboards.
Using these methods, you may be able to stop fleas from becoming a full-fledged pest problem in your home.
Fleas are a common problem in homes, and they can be a nuisance for pets and people alike. While some of the best flea remedies are available over the counter, there are also natural remedies that can make your home much less attractive to these pests.
The first step towards getting rid of house fleas is making sure you have an idea of what they look like so that you don’t accidentally kill other insects or even pets when you’re trying to get rid of the flea infestation. House fleas are about 1/8 inch long (2mm) and brownish-orange in color with dark spots on their backs. They tend to live near pet bedding areas such as under rugs or furniture where food scraps might accumulate–they’re attracted by these smells as well as warmth from heat sources like radiators or ovens–and this makes them very difficult if not impossible for humans alone to detect without specialized equipment like lures which attract only female adults (males aren’t attracted).
- LONG LASTING CONTROL: PetArmor Home & Carpet Spray kills all stages of fleas and protects against reinfestation for up to 7 months. Kills fleas, dust mites and lice.
- PET ODOR: PetArmor Flea and Tick Home and Carpet Spray freshens and deodorizes carpets, has a clean fresh scent, and is available in a 16 oz. ounce size.
- EFFECTIVE AGAINST PESTS: PetArmor Home Powder kills brown dog ticks, fleas, and flea eggs, flea larvae, and flea pupae.
- PROTECT YOUR HOME: Find fleas or ticks on your pet? They are probably in your home. Fleas lay up to 50 eggs a day. PetArmor Home Carpet Power helps you in the fight against fleas and ticks.
- PETS ARE FAMILY: PetArmor flea and tick home products help you confidently protect your furry family member from fleas and ticks at home without a visit to the vet.
Additional Info :
- GENTLE PROTECTION: Vet’s Best Flea & Tick Home Spray uses certified natural ingredients to kill fleas, flea eggs, and ticks on contact.
- PROVEN EFFECTIVE: Whether facing an active infestation or are applying for routine prevention, our spray is scientifically proven effective against pests but gentle enough to use around the whole family.
- CERTIFIED NATURAL OILS: Each steam-distilled essential oil is selected for its potent pest-fighting properties and is 100% Certified Natural.
- TOTAL HOME DEFENSE: Applies easily on surfaces, indoors and out, including dog bedding, crates, furniture, blankets, upholstery, carpets, outdoor surfaces, and more. Also gentle enough to be applied directly on dogs and puppies 12 weeks or older.
- MADE IN THE USA: Our products are proudly manufactured in the USA with quality domestic and internationally sourced ingredients.
Additional Info :
- KILLS & REPELS. Using natural essential oils, this spray is proven to kill by contact, repel and prevent 98-100% of fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. It eliminates the entire pest life cycle, including eggs, larvae and adults.
- TREAT NATURE WITH NATURE. A safe and effective alternative to collars, pills, chewables, and drops that’s powered by nature. Holistic vet approved. Enjoy worry-free peace of mind knowing your pets and home are protected with our non-harsh formula.
- SAFE FOR DOGS, CATS OF ALL AGES. Gentle enough to use on puppies, kittens, and senior pets as often as needed, yet powerful enough to fully eliminate pests on the skin and fur. Safe to use around the entire family. Kid-safe. Mom owned, Mom approved.
- 3-IN-1 PLANT-BASED SOLUTION. For dogs, cats, and home! A home remedy that kills fleas throughout the house on carpet, furniture, bedding, and flooring. Also a repellent in pet environments like dog kennels or cat condos. Invigorating Lemongrass scent freshens homes.
- POWERFULLY EFFECTIVE. Powered by nature and proven to work. Give your pet the best advantage in protection against fleas and ticks with our non-harsh formula. Cruelty free, biodegradable, and Made in the U.S.A.
Additional Info :
- PROVEN EFFECTIVE: Kills fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae, bed bugs, ticks, cockroaches, ants*, spiders, mosquitoes, and many other labeled insects (*except carpenter, harvester, pharaoh and fire ants)
- LONG LASTING: Provides up to 7 months of flea protection and begins killing on contact
- QUICK RELIEF: Starts killing fleas in 5 minutes.
- COMPLETE HOME DEFENSE: Reaches fleas hidden in carpets, rugs, upholstery, and pet bedding; do not spray directly on pets.
- EASY TO USE: Even and controlled spraying pattern for optimal results
- FRAGRANCE FREE: Dries fast, non-Staining and no lingering odor.
- PET, HOME & YARD: 5% of fleas live on your pet while the remaining 95% live in your home or yard. Adams provides a multi-step product solution to fight pests on every front – Complete your system with our Pet, Home, and Yard products.
Additional Info :
- PetArmor Home Household Spray kills ticks, fleas, flea eggs, and flea larvae for up to 7 months
- This flea and tick home spray also acts as a deodorizer for pet beds, carpet floors, area rugs, and couches
- Flea and tick control effectively kills roaches, ants, spiders, lice, crickets, centipedes, waterbugs, silverfish, and sowbugs
- Flea spray disrupts the flea life cycle by preventing the development of adult fleas
- Covers 500 square feet of your home, protecting your family-and indoor/outdoor cats and dogs-from the biting, itching, and disease transmitted by fleas and ticks
Additional Info :