Many people begin to search for home remedies for red ants after they have been bitten by red ants or they see small red ants in their homes. Red Ants are tiny insects that are typically found outdoors near gardens and near homes on lawns, sidewalks, or in between your home and the sidewalk or adjacent homes.
Red ants cause a lot of damage to homes and businesses. They are a nuisance and can be difficult to get rid of. Several different types of ants can be thought of as red ants but not all of them bite. Luckily, there are many ways you can combat them without using harmful chemicals.
In this blog post, we will discover home remedies for red ants and their bites. Also, find the best ways to get rid of them with the most effective and safest solutions.
Home Remedies For Red Ants
Homemade remedies for red ants are safer for your health and the environment than chemical pesticides. The following red ant control methods will help you deal with these pests without having to resort to chemicals:
Using Borax – the best home remedy for red ants
Making a paste of borax and water is one of the most effective ways to control red ants. The paste will be spread on the path they usually use to enter your home so that they get trapped by it and die. Borax is not harmful to humans or pets, so this method is safe and easy!
To make your pesticide:
- Mix 2 tablespoons (30g) of borax powder with 2 tablespoons (30ml) of hot water in a bowl until it forms a thick paste. This should take less than 5 minutes if your water isn’t too cold.
- Spread this paste along ant trails near entrances into your home or building (e.g., under doors). Make sure you use enough so that any ants walking along these trails will walk through the mixture at least once before getting inside their nest/home – otherwise they won’t get trapped!
Using Cream of Tartar
You can also use a cream of tartar to get rid of red ants. This is an organic compound that comes in the form of white powder with a slight taste and smell. It is used as a food additive, especially in baking recipes because it helps boost the flavor and texture of baked goods.
Cream of tartar is effective against Red Ants by absorbing their stomach acids, which are what they use to digest the food they’ve consumed. You can try this method if you find yourself dealing with ants around your home or office:
- Mix half a teaspoon each of borax powder, cream of tartar, and chili powder in two cups of water; stir well until dissolved completely.
- Pour the mixture into small containers (such as plastic bottles) and place them where you see ant activity most frequently – under sinks or refrigerator doors, for example – making sure not to let them touch anything else directly but only through holes drilled into the tops
Using Baking Soda and Powdered Sugar
Mix baking soda and powdered sugar. Sprinkle this mixture near anthills, or anywhere you see ants roaming around.
- The ants will eat the mixture and take it back to the nest, where it will gradually kill them all.
- This is safe for use around children and pets, but make sure they do not try to eat any of the mixture themselves!
Using Bay Leaves
Bay leaves are another natural remedy that can help keep ants from bothering you. The scent of bay leaves is said to repel the insects because they contain a chemical called eugenol, which makes their food hard to find and therefore makes it harder for them to thrive in your home.
This may sound like a crazy idea, but I’ve heard of people using bay leaves as an effective method for keeping ants away – especially if you place them around your house where the ant nests are located.
If you’re looking for a cheap way to keep red ants out of your house, try placing some dry bay leaves around areas where they tend to dwell and see if this helps!
Using Essential Oils
Essential oils can be used to repel ants from your home. Many of these remedies have been used for centuries as natural alternatives to chemical-based pesticides. Essential oils are made up of natural compounds extracted from plants and other organic materials, giving them medicinal properties. They can be purchased at health food stores or online and applied in several ways:
You can use essential oils in a diffuser or spray bottle (see below). You may also want to mix them with water and spray them around the house as needed.
Using Insecticides For Red ants
Insecticides are another option for treating red ants. Insecticides have a long residual effect, which means that they work for a longer period than sprays and fogs. You can spray the outside of your house with insecticide to kill the ants:
Spray around the outside of your home where you see evidence of red ants. Use an insecticide with a long residual effect such as bifenthrin or permethrin; these will kill any remaining red ants but won’t repel new ones from coming back. Although insecticides can be effective in killing red ants, they’re toxic to both humans and pets, so be sure to keep them away from food preparation surfaces like countertops and cutting boards by washing hands thoroughly after application.
List of Other Products For Killing Red Ants
Here are some other products to help you get rid of red ants in your home, garden, and yard:
PIC 4PK-Metal-AB Bait Stations Homeplus Ant Killer Metal Bait Stations, Indoor Ant Traps, Indoor Pest Control, Pack of 4
Price : $11.49 ($2.87 / Count)
- Ant Bait: Our indoor & outdoor ant killer uses a bait to attract and eliminate ants at the source. Once the ant bait is ingested, the Abamectin is activated, eliminating the colony of ants.
- Ant Repellent: This ant trap kills the queen, and effectively gets rid of the colony as well without any additional effort from your end! Our effective ant baits attract and kill most ants found in your kitchen, patio, yard, and garden.
- Outdoor Ant Traps: These ant bait traps use 4 food based lures to attract ants. While using food sources to attract and kill ants, these carpenter ant traps do not contain peanut products.
- Ant Killer: Our pet-friendly ant bait station easily eliminates Acrobat ants, Allegheny ants, Argentine. ants, Big-Headed ants, Cornfield ants, Crazy ants, Little Black ants, Pavement ants, Pharaoh ants, Pyramid ants, Thief ants and many more!
- Size and Other Details: Replace the ant bait trap every 30 days.
Katchy Indoor Insect Trap – Catcher & Killer for Mosquitos, Gnats, Moths, Fruit Flies – Non-Zapper Traps for Inside Your Home – Catch Insects Indoors with Suction, Bug Light & Sticky Glue (Black)
Price : $39.99
- Not effective on house flies. Is effective in killing fruit flies, gnats, and mosquitos.
- Triple trapping power: a UV light, powerful fan, and sticky glue board combines to be an effective way for how to get rid of fruit flies, gnats, and other small bugs. Simply turn on/off when needed.
- Use the fruit fly trap for indoors close to insect-ridden fruit, plants or trash bin. Turn off the lights for best results.
- No more ugly traps! Subtle and stylish; easily place in your home, kitchen, or office as a decorative piece. No zapper needed.
- Easy to use, choose between standard or low speed setting and leave it to work its magic, EPA Est. Numb.:93372-CHN-1
Eco Defense Pest Control Pouches – All Natural – Repels Rodents, Spiders, Roaches, Ants, Moths, Squirrels, & Other Pests – 12 Pack
- NATURALLY, REPEL PESTS – A patented encapsulation process combines the ultra-powerful combination of essential oils in a convenient-to-use pouch form, proven to repel a multitude of different pests. Cedar, Cinnamon, Lemongrass, Rosemary, Mint, and Peppermint oil create the ultimate pest control barrier. Proven safe mouse repellent for indoor and outdoor use.
- LONG-LASTING PROTECTION – Our 12 PACK of Pest Control Pouches last from 6 months to 1 year. Place in a small-enclosed area to repel Rats, Mice, Spiders, Silverfish, Roaches, Ants, Pantry moths, Snakes, Squirrels, and dozens of other pests. Contains a powerful amount of peppermint oil to repel mice and rats. Works like magic as a squirrel repellent to keep them out of your attic and basement.
- NO MESS, EASY TO USE – Simply place 1 odorant pouch in any enclosed space up to 10 cubic feet to deter pests from intrusion or nesting. Perfect for closets, pantries, vehicles, RV, and practically anywhere. Great rodent repellent for car engines that keep rats and mice from chewing on your engine’s wiring and cables.
- SAFE AND ECONOMICAL – Pest Block Pest Control Pouches are a safe alternative to chemicals and poison. The clean fresh smell of 100% pure essential oils repels pests & is always safe around you and your family. The perfect alternative to a Mouse Trap, Rat Trap, Rat poison, Roach Killer, Insect Killer, Moth Trap, Moth Balls, or Pest Repeller. 1 Pouch ALL PESTS.
- MONEY BACK GUARANTEE – Try Our Pest Control Pouches 100% Risk-Free for 60 days and if you are not absolutely satisfied with the pest-repelling results, we will immediately refund your entire purchase.
HARRIS Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade, 10lb with Powder Duster Included in The Bag
Price : $29.99
- Natural Product – Composed of 10lbs of 100% ground freshwater diatomaceous earth with absolutely no additives or fillers.
- OMRI Listed – Listed with the Organic Minerals Research Institute, a non-profit organization that reviews products against organic standards.
- Powder Duster Included – Powder duster in the bag for easy and efficient application in difficult to reach areas.
- Made in the USA – Mined in Nevada and packaged in Georgia
- Supports a Great Cause – Harris donates 10% of profits to support the local Etowah Valley Humane Society.
Red Ants are not a serious problem, but they can be a nuisance. There are many home remedies you can use to get rid of red ants, and we have included all of them in this article.
We hope that you found our article helpful and that you were able to successfully get rid of your red ant problem. If you have any questions or comments about how to deal with red ants, please leave them below!