You’re a proud parent, it’s been two weeks since you brought your newborn kittens home from the animal shelter. Or maybe you adopted them on craigslist from a friend of a friend. Or perhaps that stray kitten from down the street came in with fleas before his mommy and daddy changed their minds. Regardless, those fleas are now on your newborn kittens — yuck! I have a three-month-old kitten, his name is Charlie. Charlie has been having problems with fleas since the day I took him home. I know that kittens are very vulnerable to fleas and ticks because they do not have any immunity at all. Now I want to tell you how to prevent and treat flea infestation on a kitten so that your baby pet will live a life without any itchiness for as long as possible. No, you are not a parent (although you should be). That said, kittens are a lot like babies, and fleas can be frustrating. You need to understand one thing: fleas will not stay on the kittens very long. They will jump off the mother and wait for an opportunity to jump onto your pets. The mother cat will try to get rid of the fleas through grooming or biting, but when she’s asleep or isn’t paying attention, fleas can jump on your other pets, who may then jump on you. So, how do you keep fleas off newborn kittens? Keep reading.
How To Kill Fleas On Kittens
Table of Contents
- Get a flea comb
- Use apple cider vinegar to kill fleas on kittens
- Purchase a flea shampoo for kittens and use it often
- Opt for diatomaceous earth as a natural remedy for killing fleas on kittens (and humans!)
- Buy essential oil to keep at home, so you can use it when your cat is scratching or biting themself
1. Get a flea comb
One of the best tools to use when removing fleas from your kitten is a flea comb. A flea comb is not expensive, and it’s easy to use—the best part? You can use it on kittens up to six months old.
A flea comb has metal teeth that aren’t sharp enough to hurt your kitten as you move them through her fur. This will help remove all the dead and live fleas without hurting her, then getting rid of them in one swipe!
If you want to get into hard-to-reach places like underneath their tail or back legs where they might have been bitten by a tick before being groomed with regular scissors or clippers, then this tool will be ideal for your needs too!
2. Use apple cider vinegar
- Use apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a natural flea killer, and can be used to kill fleas on kittens as well. Mix 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar with 1/2 cup of water, then apply it to your cat’s fur with a sponge. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes before rinsing it off.
3. Purchase a flea shampoo
Flea shampoos are an excellent alternative to flea powders. They are easier to apply and can treat your pet all over, including their underbelly and between their toes.
The best time to use a shampoo is after you have bathed your kitten with water and soap, then dried off thoroughly with a towel or blow dryer on high heat. This ensures that the shampoo will be able to reach the fur of your kitten without getting washed away by water droplets. If you have access, it is also helpful to use clippers around their neck and face so that these areas do not get wet during bathing.
When using a shampoo for toddlers it’s important not only for convenience but also safety reasons such as splashing around in bathtub water! When choosing which products are safe for our pets check labels carefully before putting them into tubs full of water because some ingredients aren’t specifically made for cats/kittens like dogs***END SECTION
4. Opt for diatomaceous earth
Diatomaceous earth is a natural pesticide made from the fossilized remains of diatoms (which are microscopic aquatic creatures). It’s an impenetrable powder that kills fleas, but it’s not poisonous to animals or humans. You can get diatomaceous earth in pet stores and online, or you can make your own by combining baking soda with lemon juice and leaving it on a cookie sheet overnight to dry out before crushing into powder form.
Diatomaceous earth is safe for use around children and pets; however, keep in mind that this product is not intended for consumption by humans or animals!
5. Buy essential oil
A natural alternative to harmful chemicals, essential oils can be used in a variety of ways. For example, they can be used to kill fleas and repel fleas.
Essential oils are also great for preventing fleas on kittens. Some of the most popular essential oils include lavender, peppermint, citronella and lemongrass. You can mix these oils with water or coconut oil and apply it directly to your kitten’s fur as needed:
1 teaspoon mixed with 1 cup warm water
1 teaspoon mixed with 2 tablespoons olive oil
How To Kill Fleas On Kittens
The first step to getting rid of fleas is to use a flea comb to remove dead fleas and eggs. You can find a flea comb at any pet store or online, as well as many other products that will help you get rid of these annoying pests.
For natural repellents, apple cider vinegar can be applied to the skin between baths to repel ticks and fleas. It’s also great for killing both adult and larval stages of ticks! Flea shampoos are also common treatments that have been shown in studies to be effective against not only adult fleas but also their eggs.
Diatomaceous earth is another option if you don’t want your cat exposed directly (or indirectly) through contact with natural remedies; it kills by abrasion, shredding exoskeletons so insects die from dehydration without being poisoned like with pesticides associated with other types of powders such as boric acid paste which contain harmful chemicals known as “Pyrethrum” which will cause cancer later down the road if used regularly due its toxicity level being very high compared with D-E which does not contain pyrethrum at all thus making D-E safer for cats than Pyrethrum based products such as boric acid pastes (which have been banned in Europe since 1986).
- GENTLE PROTECTION: Vet’s Best Flea & Tick Home Spray uses certified natural ingredients to kill fleas, flea eggs, and ticks on contact.
- PROVEN EFFECTIVE: Whether facing an active infestation or are applying for routine prevention, our spray is scientifically proven effective against pests but gentle enough to use around the whole family.
- CERTIFIED NATURAL OILS: Each steam-distilled essential oil is selected for its potent pest-fighting properties and is 100% Certified Natural.
- TOTAL HOME DEFENSE: Applies easily on surfaces, indoors and out, including dog bedding, crates, furniture, blankets, upholstery, carpets, outdoor surfaces, and more. Also gentle enough to be applied directly on dogs and puppies 12 weeks or older.
- MADE IN THE USA: Our products are proudly manufactured in the USA with quality domestic and internationally sourced ingredients.
Additional Info :
- 6-month supply of advantage II topical large cat flea prevention
- Easy-to-apply and pre-measured flea treatment application tubes, fragrance-free and waterproof after 24 hours
- Advantage II large cat flea prevention kills fleas through contact, meaning fleas don’t have to bite your cat in order to die.Avoid contact with eyes or clothing
- Starts working within 12 hours and protects your cat for up to 30 days. Kills fleas in multiple life stages; Eggs, larvae and adults to break the flea life cycle
- Vet recommended, fragrance free and designed specifically to treat and prevent fleas on cats
Additional Info :
|Blacks & Grays
- KILLS & REPELS. A flea and tick preventative and a treatment, this pest-repellent spray is powered by natural essential oils and protects your pets and family.
- SPRAY & PLAY! Safe for cats, dogs and people of all ages, with no wait time for drying or reentry into sprayed areas and environments. Just attach directly to a garden hose, spray your backyard, and enjoy. Keep the bottle & Refill the sprayer with our Flea and Tick Spray Concentrate!
- TREATS UP TO 5,000 SQUARE FEET. Can be safely used on lawns, gardens, grass, patios, dog kennels, vegetables, flowers, siding, brick, paint and more. Treat an existing pest infestation or for prevention. Application coverage depends on water pressure and walking speed.
- NO HARSH CHEMICALS. No artificial colors, fragrances or harsh pesticides. Made in the USA from powerful, sustainable, plant-based ingredients. Safe when sprayed outdoors around pets, kids, and beneficial insects like bees and butterflies. Cruelty-Free and biodegradable. Keep the bottle & Refill the sprayer with our Flea and Tick Spray Concentrate!
- POWERFULLY EFFECTIVE WITH THE PUREST, NATURAL ESSENTIAL OILS. Powered by cedar oil, Wondercide is safe pest protection that’s proven to work, especially for flea, tick, and mosquito removal. Packaging May Vary.
Additional Info :
- The #1 name in flea & tick protection trusted by pet owners for over 20 years, this waterproof, fast-acting flea and tick treatment kills fleas, flea eggs, lice, and ticks, including those that may transmit Lyme disease.
- Designed for use only with cats and kittens, this long-lasting treatment is made for cats eight weeks or older, weighing 1.5 pounds or more.
- Made with two active ingredients, fipronil and (S)-methoprene, this treatment stops infestations and prevents new ones.
- Applied on a single point on your pet, the treatment rapidly covers your cat’s entire body and deposits in the sebaceous glands. These glands as a reservoir, continuously replenishing the treatment onto your pet, working even if your cat gets wet.
- One dose of FRONTLINE Plus lasts 30 days.
Additional Info :
- FAST-ACTING: One oral flea tablet starts killing fleas within 30 minutes of administration.
- SAFE TO USE: This oral flea medication is safe for kittens and cats from 2-25 lbs. 4 weeks and older, when used as directed.
- TREAT RE-INFESTATIONS FAST: If your pet gets re-invested with fleas simply apply another dose as often as once a day. CapAction Flea Pills are even safe for use on pregnant or breeding cats.
- EASY TO USE: Without the mess and rubbing off of a flea and tick topical treatment and without the need of a veterinarian prescription this cat flea tablet is administered orally to kill adult fleas fast.
- KILL FLEAS EFFICIENTLY: CapAction flea treatment has 6 doses and kills adult fleas that may cause allergy dermatitis.
Additional Info :