Red ants are one of the most common ant species in the United States. Their colonies can grow to be large and aggressive, so it’s important to know how to kill them naturally.
The first step is to identify the species of red ant you have. You’ll need a good magnifying glass or microscope to do this, because red ants are small, reddish insects that look similar to other kinds of ants. If you can’t identify your red ant by sight alone, look at its abdomen for markings—if there are any distinguishing features such as rings or stripes, it’s likely a different species than your own.
If you have identified your red ant as belonging to a different species from yours, chances are good that it will attack when threatened or disturbed. The best thing you can do is isolate your colony of ants and destroy all food sources before killing them off. This will prevent them from reproducing and reaching large sizes before they die off naturally.
Ants have many natural enemies.
Ants have many natural enemies. They are prey for many animals, insects, fungi, plants and bacteria.
Nematodes are small worms that kill ants in the soil. They are available online, and can be used to control ants in your yard.
Since they are microscopic, they cannot be seen by the naked eye, but they will eat red ant larvae and eggs. Nematodes are harmless to humans, pets and animals.
Lure ants away with bait
If you want to use a bait to kill ants in your yard, make sure you go with one that’s labeled for the area around your home. Ant baits are available at many home improvement stores and can be purchased online as well. Most of these baits are made up of sweet substances that ants like; however, they may also contain other chemicals that will kill red ants quickly. To be safe, always read product labels carefully before purchasing.
Ant baits are available in two different forms: granular and liquid. The granular form is often more effective because it attracts all types of red ants (including fire ants) while remaining dry and stable outside your house until they’re ready to eat it—but liquid ant baits work well too. If you choose this method, make sure there aren’t any pets or other animals who could ingest the liquid by accident during application. Once applied around your perimeter at regular intervals every few feet outwards from where you see activity most often (like near windows or doors), this will help keep them out for good so long as no new ones come into contact with the active ingredient inside each pellet after installation has been completed successfully without interruption between steps taken thus far”
Crushed orange peel is also a natural way to get rid of ants.
Orange peel is a natural ant repellent.
Crush some orange peels into small pieces and place them around the areas where you see red ants. You can also put the crushed orange peel in places where you don’t want to see red ants, such as your garden or patio. The smell of crushed orange peels will repel red ants from entering those areas, making it easier for you to keep your home or garden free of these pests.
Cinnamon also helps repel ants and make it difficult for them to find their way into your kitchen.
Cinnamon is a strong repellent and can be used to keep ants away from your kitchen, as well as your home. Ants don’t like the smell of cinnamon so it will deter them from getting near it. There are several ways that you can use cinnamon to kill red ants:
- Sprinkle some cinnamon around the perimeter of your kitchen or bathroom where you have seen ants. You should also sprinkle it in places where they may wander into like under sinks or behind appliances.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 tablespoon of water and one teaspoon ground cinnamon together until well blended then apply the mixture to areas where you have seen red ants crawling around by using an old paintbrush or a small artists brush (these are cheap at any hobby store).
Diatomaceous earth is a naturally occurring powder that can kill ants.
Diatomaceous earth is a naturally occurring powder that can kill ants. The substance, which comes from the fossils of diatoms, is non-toxic to humans and animals, but it can be harmful to insects.
Diatomaceous earth can be purchased at most hardware stores and garden centers. You should wear protective gloves while applying this material because it’s very fine and may get into your eyes or mouth if you don’t handle it properly.
Bay leaves can be used as a natural ant repellent.
Many people are not aware that bay leaves are a natural ant repellent. If you have read this, now you know and can start using them in your home to kill red ants. Bay leaves have been used for centuries as an insecticide, pesticide and ant repellent.
Peppermint Oil as An Ant Repellent
You can make your own natural ant repellent by adding peppermint oil to cotton balls, or you can purchase it in a concentrated form online. Either way, place the cotton balls where you have seen ants and leave them there until they become saturated. If you want to use other oils such as lemon and eucalyptus that are also effective at repelling ants, try putting some of those on the cotton balls as well.
To make an effective homemade ant trap recipe:
Mix 1 part cinnamon with 2 parts sugar and sprinkle it on an old cookie sheet (or any other flat surface) where ants will be likely to pass through. The sweet smell attracts them but once they get trapped in this mixture they will die within 24 hours due to lack of moisture/food supply.* Using insecticides alone will only kill off certain types of pests so if you want complete control over all types then combine several different methods together.
Sprinkle cayenne pepper near ant entry points and/or directly on a line of ants if possible. Cayenne pepper is a natural repellent as well as pesticide, so it will help keep pests away from your home. It’s also an ant killer, so this technique will work in two ways to get rid of red ants.
Can Vinegar Be Used To Kill Red Ants?
Spraying vinegar directly on an ant may help to kill it, but at the very least, it is an excellent repellent. Ants often avoid areas that have been sprayed with vinegar and can die if they come into contact with it.
While you may be tempted to spray vinegar directly on ants that you see nearby, this practice can actually be harmful for your plants or houseplants. Instead of spraying the ants directly, try mixing some natural ingredients together in a spray bottle and mixing them up well. For example:
1 part water
1 part rubbing alcohol
2 parts white distilled vinegar
Borax Is Another Insecticide
Borax is a naturally occurring mineral that has been used for centuries to kill ants. Borax is an insecticide and fungicide, so it can effectively get rid of red ants as well as other insects in your home.
Whether you find them in your kitchen or bathroom, borax will kill red ants on contact. On top of killing these pests, borax also has several other benefits: it’s safe to use around children and pets; it’s non-toxic; and it’s inexpensive.
Mix borax powder with something sweet like jam or syrup and put this mixture on pieces of cardboard or wax paper. The ants will be attracted by the sweet smell and will eat the borax. This is a natural way to get rid of red ants, but make sure you don’t eat any of it yourself because it can be poisonous if ingested in large amounts.
There are some ways to kill red ants without using pesticides..
Here are some ways you can kill red ants without using pesticides:
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine) is a natural insecticide that can be used to kill red ants. It works by causing the insects’ nervous system to shut down, resulting in death. Because vitamin B1 is so effective at killing roaches, it’s also sometimes referred to as “roach killer.” You can buy this product online or at any natural grocery store. In addition to killing ants, thiamine has been shown to repel them from areas where they might otherwise be attracted—like your home or business. If you’re worried about applying chemicals around children or pets, this is an excellent option.
- Borax is another effective way of eliminating red ants without using pesticides or dangerous chemicals like boric acid (which you shouldn’t use anyway). Borax comes in granular form and smells like baking soda when wet; when dry it doesn’t have much of an odor at all—just don’t breathe too deeply while spreading it around. To apply borax properly: first spread out newspapers over surfaces where you don’t want ants; then sprinkle the granules evenly across those areas until completely covered with them; and finally sweep up any excess borax powder leftover after sweeping away dead insects after about 24 hours have elapsed since application occurred..
List Of Products To Kill Red Ants
Ants are a common household nuisance. But, if you have ants in your home, there is no need to panic. You can eliminate them with the help of a few effective products. Here is a list of the best ant killer products for combating these annoying insects:
TERRO T300B Liquid Ant Killer, 12 Bait Stations
Price : $11.92
- Attracts & Kills – Kills common household ants including acrobat, crazy, ghost, little black, odorous house, pavement, and other sweet-eating ants
- Kills the Ants You See & the Ones You Don’t – As worker ants discover the bait, they share it with the rest of the colony to eliminate them all
- Works Fast – You should see a significant decrease in the number of ants visiting the bait stations within just a few days
- Ready to Use – Place the bait stations, watch it attract ants, and eliminate the entire colony
- Use Throughout Your Home – Place stations near areas where you’ve seen ant activity including along baseboards, in corners, on counters, and more
Additional Info :
Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer for Indoor & Perimeter2: With Comfort Wand, Kills Ants, Cockroaches, Spiders, Fleas & Ticks, Odor Free, 1.1 gal.
Price : $14.49 ($0.10 / Fl Oz)
- Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer for Indoor & Perimeter2 with Comfort Wand kills ants, cockroaches, spiders, fleas, ticks and other listed bugs; the formula is odor free, won’t stain, and keeps listed bugs out
- KILLS BUGS INSIDE: Kills those annoying home-invading insects, including ants, cockroaches, spiders, fleas, ticks, scorpions, beetles, silverfish, centipedes and millipedes
- KEEPS BUGS OUTSIDE: Creates a bug barrier that will kill bugs you have and prevents new bugs for up to 12 months (applies to ants, roaches and spiders indoors on non-porous surfaces)
- NO STAINING OR STINK: This spray can be used indoors and out, leaves no residue, and has no odor; people and pets may re-enter treated areas after spray has dried
- WAND MAKES APPLICATION EASY: The Comfort Wand eliminates hand fatigue, and there’s no pumping required, making it easy to spray along your home’s perimeter–indoors and outside
Additional Info :
Mighty Mint – 16oz Insect and Pest Control Peppermint Oil – Natural Spray for Spiders, Ants, and More – Non Toxic
Price : $18.98
- Extra Concentrated for Long-Lasting Protection
- Natural Ingredients Proven Effective in the Real World
- Large 16oz Bottle
- Powerful Essential Oil
Additional Info :
Probiotics 60 Billion CFU – Probiotics for Women, Probiotics for Men and Adults, Natural, Shelf Stable Probiotic Supplement with Organic Prebiotic, Acidophilus Probiotic
Price : $19.97 ($0.67 / Count)
- 60 Billion Cfus Max Strength: Our probiotic actually contains 60 Billion Cfus per serving. Other brands claim it, but beware of deception. Some products say “equivalent to” or do not state an amount of Cfus. We saw a need for high-quality supplements that actually work and stand by their claims. Our most popular probiotic brings you exactly what’s on the label with 10 probiotic strains, 60 Billion Cfu, and an organic prebiotic blend.
- Probiotics and Organic Prebiotics: Our probiotics are made with prebiotics and probiotics based on clinical research. A complete probiotic supplement for ultimate digestive health. Made with 10 probiotic strains & Non-Gmo ingredients. Shelf-stable vegan probiotics with No: unnecessary binders, soy, gluten, milk, egg, wheat, peanuts, shellfish or preservatives.
- Naturally Inspired Probiotic Supplement: Contains 10 strains plus a Patented Shelf-Stable bottle which ensures product stability. Our probiotic daily blend plus organic prebiotic fiber blend naturally helps to support the stomach’s digestive environment and supports the natural stomach balance. Great for gut health, and occasional gas relief, bloating relief, constipation, digestive health and intestinal health.
- Probiotics for Adults: Our prebiotics and probiotics are effective and intended for use by adults. Acidophilus probiotic with prebiotic including 10 strains: Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus paracasei, Lactobacillus salivarius, Lactobacillus plantarum, Bifidobacterium lactis, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Bifidobacterium longum, Bifidobacterium breve, Lactobacillus bulgaricus.
- Safety Assured Standard of Quality: Our 60 Billion Probiotic is 3rd-party tested for purity and potency. Each bottle is manufactured in the USA using imported and domestic ingredients. Our probiotics are made for women and men. They contain 60 Billion Cfus at the time of manufacturing, more than the usual 50 Billion Cfu, plus our standard organic prebiotic blend!
Additional Info :
SPECTRUM BRANDS 53944, 10-Pound Spectracide Triazicide Insect Killer for Lawns Granules 10 Pounds, Kil, 10 lbs
Price : $6.00
- Kills lawn insects: use outdoors on lawns and as a band treatment around your house foundation
- Kills more than 100 insect types: kills insects above and below ground, including ants (excluding harvester and pharaoh ants), crickets, armyworms, cutworms, grubs, ticks and others as listed
- Kills on contact: treat when insects first appear or when you notice lawn damage
- Controls grubs: treat any time between late July and early October
- Granular formula: distribute granules uniformly around the treatment area; water in lightly immediately after application
Additional Info :
It’s not always easy to get rid of ants naturally. You may have to try different methods, or even a combination of them. Don’t give up. If your first attempt doesn’t work, keep trying other solutions until those pesky insects are gone.