Dog fleas are not only a nuisance, they can be dangerous to the health of your pet and family. Dog fleas spread tapeworms and other diseases. If you’ve ever had a dog, you know what I’m talking about when I say “that itchy dog” because if you’ve never had a dog, then lucky you. But it’s not so much that your dog has fleas, but how do you get rid of them and fast…
Fleas can be a real problem for dogs, so it’s important to know how to get rid of fleas. The first step is making sure your dog doesn’t have any existing health issues that might make them susceptible to fleas. It’s also important to keep in mind that even if you don’t see visible signs of fleas on your dog, it doesn’t mean the problem isn’t there. You’ll want to check other areas like under their fur or around their mouth before taking action against these pests. In this guide I will explain everything from what fleas are and why they’re bad for your pup, all the way through how we remove them using three simple steps.
What Are Fleas?
Fleas are small insects that feed on the blood of animals. They reproduce by laying eggs in the flea’s host, which then hatch into larvae. After hatching, the larvae grow into adults and continue to feed on their hosts’ blood.
The main species of fleas that infest humans are cat fleas (Ctenocephalides felis), dog fleas (C. canis), rabbit fleas (C. scapularis), and human fleas (Pulex irritans). The most common cause of an infestation is when your pet comes into contact with an infected animal or a flea from an infected animal bites you or another person.
How to Diagnose Fleas on Dogs
If you think your dog might have fleas, there are a few ways to find out for sure. The first is to examine your pet closely for signs of fleas and their bite marks. Flea bites vary from dog to dog and can be as small as pinpricks or red welts in some areas of the body. The second way is by searching for fleas on the dog’s body with the aid of a magnifying glass or microscope (or even just using good old-fashioned eyesight).
If you do detect signs of an infestation, it’s time to take action.
What are the signs and symptoms of fleas in dogs?
There are many signs and symptoms to look for when checking for fleas on your dog. These include:
- Excessive scratching, especially around the head and neck areas
- Flea dirt (black specks), which will appear on white areas of hair when rubbed in between thumb and forefinger
- Small red bite marks on skin
- Hair loss from itching caused by fleas
Effects of Fleas on Your Dog
If you think your dog might have fleas, take them to the vet immediately. Fleas can cause serious health problems for your dog. If left untreated, they can lead to:
- Anemia and other blood disorders
- Skin infections and rashes
- Hair loss and other skin problems
How to Prevent Fleas on Dogs
To prevent fleas on dogs, you should:
- Brush your dog regularly to remove dead hair and eggs.
- Vacuum the house frequently.
- Wash your pet’s bedding once a week in hot water. Don’t forget the mattress too.
- Clean up any messes in the yard, like toys that have been laying around for weeks or overgrown grass that could be hiding larvae and eggs. Don’t forget to check out our guide on how to get rid of mosquitoes as well.
Effective ways to get rid of fleas on dogs permanently – in 3 simple steps.
- Spray the dog with water
- Use a flea comb
- Use a flea spray
Kill Adult Fleas With a Pesticide
To kill adult fleas, apply a pesticide product that contains fipronil or imidacloprid. Insecticides containing pyrethrins are also effective flea killers, but they must be reapplied more frequently than those containing fipronil or imidacloprid.
Do not use insecticides on puppies under 8 weeks old; these pesticides can cause serious harm to their developing bodies. Do not use insecticides on pregnant or nursing dogs because they could pass through the mother’s body and harm the puppies in her womb. Do not use insecticides if your dog has a skin condition of any kind; most are toxic to dogs with allergies or other health problems that make them sensitive to chemicals like these.
List of Products To Get Rid of Fleas
The following is a list of products to get rid of fleas. It is not intended to be all-inclusive, but rather a starting point for you and your family’s search for a solution.
ANGRY ORANGE Pet Odor Eliminator for Home – Citrus Deodorizer for Strong Dog Urine or Cat Pee Smells on Carpet, Litter Box, Furniture & Indoor Outdoor Floors – 24 Fluid Ounces – Puppy Supplies
Price : $19.97 ($19.97 / Count)
- ELIMINATES ODORS: Use directly on cat pee or dog poop. The pet urine odor eliminator for your home defeats some of the worst odors and leaves the sweet smell of fresh oranges behind. A miracle that works for getting rid of nasty smells when housebreaking a new doggie.
- MULTIPLE USES: Tired of overpowering animal smells? Our dog and cat odor eliminator combats the bad kitty stench left in the litter box, dog urine in the yard, on kennel surfaces, or anywhere else the stink of pet waste is a problem.
- INCREDIBLY STRONG: Created to eliminate the toughest smells, this cat and dog odor eliminator for home can even defeat outdoor or indoor stenches filling barns, stables or other animal shelters. Note: Do not use in diffusers or directly on pets.
- COUNTLESS SURFACES: Ready to use. No mixing required!These pet supplies for dogs and cats work their magic on carpet, wood floors, concrete, tile, couch upholstery, mattress bedding, pillows, car interiors, garbage cans, driveways, and lawn grass.
- A NATURAL SMELL ELIMINATOR: Made with natural orange oil, the Angry Orange odor eliminator is a safe, friendly and citrus-smelling alternative to other carpet odor eliminators. Note: Cats & Birds may be sensitive to concentrated levels of certain ingredients.
Additional Info :
Rocco & Roxie Stain & Odor Eliminator for Strong Odor – Enzyme-Powered Pet Odor Eliminator for Home – Carpet Stain Remover for Cats and Dog Pee – Enzymatic Cat Urine Destroyer – Carpet Cleaner Spray
Price : $19.97 ($0.62 / Fl Oz)
- CERTIFIED GENTLE AND SAFE Chlorine free and color safe. Safe to use around pets and children. No hazardous propellants, no residue left behind. So gentle it’s been Certified Safe for all carpets, earning the Seal of Approval by the trusted Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI)
- ELIMINATES STAINS, ODORS AND RESIDUE If it’s gross, it’s gone. Not just the stain, but the stink. From stinky yellow pet urine and feces to vomit and other organic spills, our professional strength formula tackles them all.
- EVERY SURFACE, EVERY TIME For use on carpets, floors, furniture, clothing, litter boxes, kennels, carriers, all pet living and sleeping areas—anywhere stains happen.
- ENZYME ACTIVATED The key is getting to the problem deep-down. This spray contains natural enzymes that are activated on contact with odors and stains, feeding on ammonia crystals and organic matter until they are completely eliminated.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED An Amazon best seller—for a reason. If your stains and odors aren’t gone, neither is your money. We’ll refund it in full.
Additional Info :
Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs, 8-Month Flea and Tick Collar for Large Dogs Over 18 Pounds
Price : $62.98
- Provides 8-months of continuous flea and tick prevention
- Seresto flea and tick collar for large dogs works through contact, so fleas and ticks do not have to bite your dog to die
- Veterinarian-recommended flea and tick prevention for dogs in a convenient, odorless and non-greasy collar; No need for messy monthly treatments
- Starts to repel and kill fleas within 24 hours of initial application
- Flea and tick collar for large dogs also helps treat and control sarcoptic mange and kills lice
Additional Info :
Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Home Spray | Flea Treatment for Dogs and Home | Plant-Based Formula | 32 Ounces
Price : $10.49
- GENTLE PROTECTION: Vet’s Best Flea & Tick Home Spray uses certified natural ingredients to kill fleas, flea eggs, and ticks on contact.
- PROVEN EFFECTIVE: Whether facing an active infestation or are applying for routine prevention, our spray is scientifically proven effective against pests but gentle enough to use around the whole family.
- CERTIFIED NATURAL OILS: Each steam-distilled essential oil is selected for its potent pest-fighting properties and is 100% Certified Natural.
- TOTAL HOME DEFENSE: Applies easily on surfaces, indoors and out, including dog bedding, crates, furniture, blankets, upholstery, carpets, outdoor surfaces, and more. Also gentle enough to be applied directly on dogs and puppies 12 weeks or older.
- MADE IN THE USA: Our products are proudly manufactured in the USA with quality domestic and internationally sourced ingredients.
Additional Info :
Purina FortiFlora Probiotics for Dogs, Pro Plan Veterinary Supplements Powder Probiotic Dog Supplement – 30 ct. box
Price : $30.99
- One (1) 30-Count Box – Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets Probiotics Dog Supplement, Fortiflora Canine Nutritional Supplement
- Probiotic recommended by veterinarians (Kynetec, Probiotic Recommendation Study, March 2019)
- A Probiotic supplement for the dietary management of puppies and adult dogs with diarrhea
- Contains a probiotic to promote normal intestinal microflora. Helps reduce flatulence
- Proprietary microencapsulation process for enhanced stability
Additional Info :
If your dog has fleas, you’re not alone. Many other owners have had to deal with this problem before, and it’s not all that uncommon. The best thing is to be prepared so that when (or if) the time comes for you to fight against these pests invading your pet’s fur coat then no one will be caught off guard or surprised. You do not need any special equipment; just water, some patience and determination when dealing with pest control issues like this one.