A wasp sting can leave you wanting to curl up in a ball until the pain goes away. Wasps, hornets and bees, oh my. There are ways to ease the pain of being stung, ones that do not include gluing the stinger in place or shaving the area. But we will get to that later. Let’s start with stopping that pain from becoming unbearable immediately after being stung.
When a wasp stings you, it injects its venom under your skin. This venom transports chemicals to your body that begin a process known as histamine release. This is essentially what causes the dreaded ‘sting-pain’ reaction, also causing you to swell and become slightly red around the area of injection. The degree of pain can vary from individual to individual, but can be quite severe in some cases.
Getting stung by a wasp is never fun, and it always hurts. But there are remedies you can use to help soothe the pain of a wasp sting.
Remove the stinger.
Once you’ve been stung and are in the process of extracting the stinger, please keep in mind that:
- Don’t squeeze the stinger. You’ll only force more venom into your skin.
- Don’t use your fingers or hands to remove it because they’re more likely to get bitten by other wasps nearby—and don’t forget, there’s still venom attached to the stinger.(They really do love us.)
- Don’t use teeth or fingernails either, because those are also body parts that can be used for getting other things done besides removing wasp stingers from your body. And honestly? Why would you want to hurt yourself even more than you already have been? Just think about how much time you could save when something went wrong if all this wasn’t happening right now.
Can I Use Ice To Relief My Wasp Sting.
While ice is not a guaranteed way to stop a wasp sting from hurting, it can help reduce swelling and inflammation. Ice can also help reduce pain and the risk of infection.
Immediately apply ice to the area of the sting, which will help constrict blood vessels and decrease swelling. If you don’t have an ice pack handy, grab an unopened bag of frozen vegetables and place it on your arm for about 10 minutes; this will do the trick just as well.
You should only use ice for 20 minutes at most, any longer could cause frostbite in more sensitive areas like fingers or toes. After that time period has passed, loosen any tight clothing around where you were stung so that cool air can circulate into this area without causing further discomfort (i.e., tightness).
What Can Baking Soda do With Wasp Sting
Baking soda is a mild antacid and can help neutralize the venom in a wasp sting. To use baking soda to relieve your discomfort, mix 1/4 cup of baking soda with enough water to make a paste. Apply this mixture to the affected area and leave it on for 10 minutes before rinsing off with warm water. Repeat as needed until you feel better, but try not to exceed three applications per day as excessive exposure could result in an alkaline imbalance that could harm your skin further.
Honey is great for soothing the pain of a wasp sting.
It is well-known that honey is an excellent natural remedy. It’s also known to be a powerful analgesic, antihistamine and antibiotic.
If you’re looking for a natural way to reduce the pain of wasp stings, consider opting for some honey.
Can Lemon Juice Reduce Wasp Sting Swelling?
Lemon juice is a great remedy for wasp stings.
- It’s a natural astringent, which means it tightens the skin. This helps to reduce swelling and redness.
- If you’re already itching from the sting, lemon juice can also help relieve that annoying itchiness by drying up any excess moisture on your skin.
- Finally, lemon juice has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce pain caused by stings.
Witch hazel can help protect against infection.
Witch hazel can help protect against infection. It can be applied directly to the sting, or to the skin around it, as a preventative measure. This is one of the best ways to reduce pain and swelling associated with wasp stings, so if you’re going through this situation right now I recommend grabbing some witch hazel and applying it right away.
Applying one of these remedies will soothe your pain and help you heal
If your wasp sting is causing pain and swelling, try one of these remedies for relief:
- Use a cold compress. Apply an ice pack or bag of frozen vegetables to the area for 15 minutes at a time, several times each day until symptoms fade.
- Apply topical cream. Cortisone creams are available by prescription and can be used on all types of skin except those that are infected. They reduce itching and swelling while helping the body repair itself more quickly than it would otherwise—a process called “accelerated healing response.” If you have sensitive skin, apply the cortisone to areas away from your face so that you won’t experience any discomfort or irritation due to possible side effects like redness or peeling around your mouth or eyes. Be sure not to get it in your eyes either.
List of Products To Relief Wasp Sting
Wasp stings are painful and can be dangerous for both people and pets. There are many different ways to treat a wasp sting, but some products work better than others. Below, we’ve listed the best products to stop the itching and pain of a wasp sting.
Ebanel 5% Lidocaine Topical Numbing Cream Maximum Strength 1.35 Oz, Numb520 Pain Relief Cream Anesthetic Cream Infused with Aloe Vera, Vitamin E, Lecithin, Allantoin, Secured with Child Resistant Cap
Price : $16.50 ($12.22 / Ounce)
- 5% TOPICAL LIDOCAINE CREAM MAXIMUM STRENGTH – This numbing gel cream temporarily relieves pain, itching, soreness, burning, reduces swelling, and protects irritated skin
- FAST-ACTING & LONG-LASTING – This lidocaine gel cream begins numbing in 3-5 minutes; peaks after 20-25 minutes; lasts for 1 hour from its peak. Enhanced with Liposomal Technology
- EXTRA SOOTHING & HYDRATING FEATURES – Infused with Aloe Vera and Vitamin E, this topical anesthetic numb cream soothes and protects the skin from irritations. Best for minor cuts, minor scrapes, minor burns, insect bites, anorectal disorders
- ODOR-FREE, OIL-FREE & NON-GREASY – Doctor recommended. Water-based skin numbing cream for easy application and no-mess removal
- MADE IN USA – Secured with Child-Resistant Cap, never tested on animals – Cruelty-Free, cGMP Certified, Hypoallergenic, no harsh chemicals, non-addictive. A performance test prior to treatment is highly recommended to assess your best performance timing
Additional Info :
Safetec Sting Relief Wipe (48/Box)
Price : $6.30 ($0.13 / Count)
Additional Info :
Bug Bite Thing Suction Tool, Poison Remover – Bug Bites and Bee/Wasp Stings, Natural Insect Bite Relief, Chemical Free – White/Single
Price : $9.95
- Removes insect venom, saliva, and other irritants left under the skin using suction
- By removing the irritant, the body stops producing the reaction that is causing you to itch & swell
- Works on: mosquitoes, bees, wasps, biting flies, no-see-ums, chiggers, sea lice & more
- Compact, lightweight, reusable and easy to carry
- Clinically Proven, kid friendly, 100% guarantee
Additional Info :
Boiron Arnicare Gel for Soothing Relief of Joint Pain, Muscle Pain, Muscle Soreness, and Swelling from Bruises or Injury – Non-greasy and Fragrance-Free – 2.6 oz
Price : $7.92 ($3.05 / Ounce)
- ARNICA FOR PAIN: This homeopathic medicine helps temporarily relieve muscle pain & stiffness due to minor injuries, overexertion & falls. Also great for pain, swelling, & discoloration from bruises.
- TOPICAL PAIN RELIEF: Our non-greasy, water-based formula absorbs quickly & is unscented & paraben-free. This cooling gel is great for relief following an injury, intense workout, or general overexertion.
- PLANT-BASED ACTIVE INGREDIENT: The Arnica montana plant is a natural pain reliever. This popular homeopathic medicine temporarily relieves muscle pain & stiffness without unwanted drowsiness.Fluoride-Free
- HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINE uses highly diluted biological, botanical, or mineral substances to relieve symptoms. Our tablets, pellets, & topical treatments work with your body without the risk of contraindications, or known drug interactions.
- THE BOIRON PROMISE: We believe there’s more than one way to feel better. Since 1932, we have been committed to providing quality medicines. As a world leader in homeopathy, our passion is your health. Our promise is your satisfaction.
Additional Info :
StingEze Original Insect Bite Itch Relief Dauber, 0.5 Ounce, Black (3310)
Price : $5.99
- One 0.5 fl oz StingEze Original Insect Bite Relief Dauber
- Pain reliever provides instant triple action relief to ease pain, itching and swelling while cleaning and disinfecting the area
- Insect bite treatment works on bites and stings from common insects, including bees, ticks, mosquitoes and fire ants
- Ammonia-free external analgesic formula uses benzocaine for effective relief
- Made with only four ingredients and comes in a convenient tube with a sponge dauber applicator for easy, precise use
Additional Info :
If you are stung by a wasp, don’t panic. It is best to remove the stinger and apply ice to the affected area. But don’t worry if you can’t do that or if it doesn’t work, there are plenty of home remedies that will help soothe your pain and heal your skin quickly.