Cockroaches are horrifying creatures who, like most insects, can hold their own in a fight against the majority of vertebrates. While we humans are much more technologically advanced than roaches, we have one significant disadvantage: Really gross, slimy exoskeletons that make even children who haven’t been corrupted by society want to scream and run away in terror. The reason I’m telling you this is that cockroaches have begun to invade my house, specifically hiding underneath the cabinets and tables in my kitchen, which may be a result of my roommate not cleaning up as much as he should. Regardless of the reason, I now need to exterminate these cockroaches before they lay eggs inside my walls or spread disease (AIDs?). Lucky for me (and you), I’ve found a number of very effective and humane ways to ward off these disgusting creatures so you can protect your own home or business with just small adjustments to your current living habits.
Are you serious about getting rid of cockroaches but don’t want to resort to pesticides and other dangerous chemicals? The internet is full of DIY techniques using plants, spices, herbs, and more that are said to repel roaches or force them to leave.
What Do Cockroaches Hate?
Despite cockroaches’ reputation for living almost anywhere and eating almost anything, there are a few things that they just can’t stand. Most species are picky about the temperature, some are picky about the humidity, and a few really hate lights.
But you don’t want to freeze yourself in your own house and run fans in every room just to make the cockroaches uncomfortable. And be careful about using lights, some roaches will run away but others love them.
Luckily, for those looking for an all-natural roach repellent, there are more than a few out there, and almost all of them involve one thing: smell.
What Smells Repel Cockroaches?
Several strong, specific scents have been shown to deter roaches and other insects. Let’s go through some of the most common ideas for using herbs, spices, plants, and essential oils to repel cockroaches and see if these home remedies are worth trying.
Cockroaches are attracted to smells that are similar to those they produce themselves. For instance, human urine, sweat, and other body odors are attractive because they contain the same chemicals that cockroaches use as pheromones. This means that scents like citrus or lavender won’t have much effect on these bugs. However, there are some smells that will keep them away from your home:
-Lemons: Roaches hate the smell of lemons so much that they’ll even try to avoid a lemon slice. If you have a problem with roaches in your kitchen, try putting lemon slices around their favorite haunts to keep them away.
-Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract has been shown to have an effect similar to citronella oil when it comes to repelling roaches from your home. This can be handy if you don’t want to use citronella candles but still need something strong enough to ward off those bugs.
-Peppermint essential oil: Peppermint is another scent that roaches don’t like, in fact, peppermint essential oil is often used as an insect repellent for other pests like ants and spiders.
How to Use Essential Oils as Natural Roach Repellent
Essential oils give off potent, often pleasant, scents that many people diffuse to relax or rejuvenate themselves. Some of these strong fragrances seem to do the trick against cockroaches, too.
Use essential oils as natural roach repellents to keep your home free from pests.
Essential oils are a great way to keep pests out of your home. They are natural, non-toxic, and easy to use. You can use them in a diffuser, in an air freshener spray, or in a homemade spray that you can use around your home. There are many different types of essential oils available, so you can choose the one that works best for your needs.
The most common type of essential oil used as a natural roach repellent is peppermint oil. This type of oil is effective because it produces a strong smell that bugs find offensive and will avoid if possible. You should be careful when using peppermint oil around cats though because they may have allergic reactions to it if they get too close to where you sprayed it
How To Ward Off Cockroaches
Cockroaches are one of the most common pests that invade homes, and they can be very hard to get rid of. They will eat just about anything, including glue and wallpaper paste, so it’s important that you find a good means of keeping them away if they have invaded your home.
Cockroaches are disgusting, and they carry all kinds of diseases. They can even make you sick just by looking at them. So how do you keep these nasty pests out of your house?
First, make sure that any food or trash is always covered. Keep your sink clean, and don’t leave dirty dishes in the sink overnight. If there is any food left out, cockroaches will come back for more, and then they’ll come back to live with you forever.
Second, get a cat. Cats are natural predators of cockroaches, and they love it. Just remember to keep your cat away from the kitchen when you’re cooking because cats love to eat everything, even if it’s not for them.
There are many products on the market that claim to help ward off or kill cockroaches, but many of them don’t work well at all. In fact, some of them can actually make things worse by attracting more cockroaches.
List Of Products To Ward Off Cockroaches
There are many different types of products available for cockroach control, including sprays and baits. However, not all products are effective at killing cockroaches or preventing them from returning after treatment. This list will help you choose the best products for your situation and keep your home free of these pests for good.
TERRO T300B Liquid Ant Killer, 12 Bait Stations
- Attracts & Kills – Kills common household ants including acrobat, crazy, ghost, little black, odorous house, pavement, and other sweet-eating ants
- Kills the Ants You See & the Ones You Don’t – As worker ants discover the bait, they share it with the rest of the colony to eliminate them all
- Works Fast – You should see a significant decrease in the number of ants visiting the bait stations within just a few days
- Ready to Use – Place the bait stations, watch them attract ants, and eliminate the entire colony
- Use Throughout Your Home – Place stations near areas where you’ve seen ant activity including along baseboards, in corners, on counters, and more
Additional Info :
Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer for Indoor & Perimeter2: With Comfort Wand, Kills Ants, Cockroaches, Spiders, Fleas & Ticks, Odor Free, 1.1 gals.
Price: $14.49 ($0.10 / Fl Oz)
- Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer for Indoor & Perimeter2 with Comfort Wand kills ants, cockroaches, spiders, fleas, ticks, and other listed bugs; the formula is odor free, won’t stain, and keeps listed bugs out
- KILLS BUGS INSIDE: Kills those annoying home-invading insects, including ants, cockroaches, spiders, fleas, ticks, scorpions, beetles, silverfish, centipedes and millipedes
- KEEPS BUGS OUTSIDE: Creates a bug barrier that will kill bugs you have and prevents new bugs for up to 12 months (applies to ants, roaches, and spiders indoors on non-porous surfaces)
- NO STAINING OR STINK: This spray can be used indoors and out, leaves no residue, and has no odor; people and pets may re-enter treated areas after the spray has dried
- WAND MAKES APPLICATION EASY: The Comfort Wand eliminates hand fatigue, and there’s no pumping required, making it easy to spray along your home’s perimeter–indoors and outside
Additional Info :
Thermacell Patio Shield Mosquito Repeller, Blue; Highly Effective Mosquito Repellent for Patio; No Candles or Flames, DEET-Free, Scent-Free, Bug Spray Alternative; Includes 12-Hour Refill
- EFFECTIVE MOSQUITO PROTECTION: Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Patio Shield creates a 15-foot zone of protection against mosquitoes. Use this sleek repeller on patios, decks, pools, and more. Turn It On… Mosquitoes Gone.
- HEAT-ACTIVATED TECHNOLOGY: No cords or batteries. Powered by a safe and compact 12-hour fuel cartridge. Emits scent-free repellent that drives away mosquitoes. Unscented repellent mats last up to 4 hours each and change color when the time to replace.
- EFFECTIVELY REPEL WITHOUT SPRAY OR SCENT: Repel mosquitoes without DEET sprays or lotions on your skin. No smoke, flames, or harsh odors like citronella. Enjoy max protection in 15 minutes.
- PLANT-INSPIRED REPELLENT FORMULA: Our synthetic allethrin formula is inspired by repellent extracts found in plants. Independently tested and EPA-reviewed for safety & effectiveness. People and pet friendly.
- THERMACELL GUARANTEE: Extend warranty to 2 years with registration (automatic 1-year warranty included). Backed by Thermacell Guarantee. See packaging for details. Includes repeller, 12-hour fuel cartridge, and three repellent mats.
Additional Info :
Mighty Mint – 16oz Insect and Pest Control Peppermint Oil – Natural Spray for Spiders, Ants, and More – Non Toxic
- Extra Concentrated for Long-Lasting Protection
- Natural Ingredients Proven Effective in the Real World
- Large 16oz Bottle
- Powerful Essential Oil
Additional Info :
Combat Roach Killing Bait, Large Roach Bait Station, Kills the Nest, Child-Resistant, 8 Count
- Get rid of cockroach problems at the source with this specially Designed Large roach bait product containing hydramethylnon
- Easy to use, no mess baits do Not require activation
- Simply place them wherever you see or have seen roaches and relax while they kill non-stop day and night
- Best used in areas like under sinks, behind toilets, and behind appliances, killing the ones you see and the ones you don’t and destroying the nest
- Eight child-resistant bait stations are Included
- Power Source Type: Combat Roach Killing Bait, Large Roach Bait Station, 8 Count
Additional Info :
|Color||Large 8 ct|
The best way to ward off cockroaches is to make sure they never come in contact with your home. Make sure that you seal up any cracks, crevices, or holes in your home. If you have a crawlspace under your house, be sure to keep it clean and dry.
If you notice cockroaches in your home, the best thing you can do is call an exterminator who knows how to get rid of them for good.