There are plenty of homemade mosquito repellent recipes available, and they do work. However, you need to protect yourself from those annoying bugs that can make you ill. That’s why natural mosquito repellent plants are a safe and effective way of getting rid of mosquitoes – and also keeping them from coming back! Natural Mosquito Repellent – What is the Best Natural Mosquito Repellent? It’s funny, but hardly anyone knows about natural mosquito repellents, which are highly beneficial for the skin. They not only eliminate mosquitoes from the vicinity, but also protect you from many other harmful diseases. Natural mosquito repellents have been popular since Ancient Egypt. For a long time these have been used to combat mosquito bites, especially by pharaohs and royalty. Later the decisive weapon in this battle became essential oils. They are extremely effective because they contain components that irritate mosquitoes’ receptors and prevent them from coming near.
Natural Oils Mosquito Repellent
Lavender essential oil is a natural insect repellent that has been used for centuries. Mosquitos do not like the smell of lavender and will avoid it, so when applying lavender oil to your skin as a bug repellent you can enjoy peace of mind with this natural alternative to DEET. Essential oils are great because they can be used in lotions, candles and sprays depending on your preference.
There are many other essential oils that act as mosquito repellents but these three are some of the most effective and safe ones to use on your skin or around your home or yard. Lavender oil is also a great way to help calm down an anxious child at bedtime if they’re afraid of bugs!
Lemon eucalyptus is a plant native to Australia. It has a lemony scent with some minty undertones, and can be applied topically or inhaled using an essential oil diffuser. When used in this way, lemon eucalyptus can repel mosquitoes without the use of DEET, which can be harmful to humans if overused.
Use one drop each of lemon and eucalyptus essential oils per 1 ounce (30ml) of carrier oil such as jojoba oil or grapeseed oil. Mix well before applying to skin.
Cinnamon oil is a popular natural mosquito repellent. You can apply it to the skin directly or use it in a diffuser, but it’s not recommended for children or pregnant women. It can be mixed with other oils like citronella or tea tree to create a more effective scent barrier against mosquitoes. The strong smell of cinnamon oil might be off-putting for some people and may make them feel nauseous if used too often, so keep that in mind when using this repellent method.
Lemongrass is a natural mosquito repellent that can be used as an insect repellent. You can use lemongrass oil in a diffuser, or add it to a carrier oil such as coconut oil or jojoba oil.
Thyme (Thymus vulgaris):
- Apply to skin or clothing.
- For adults, apply about 20 drops of Thyme oil per teaspoonful of carrier oil. For children over 6 years old, follow this recipe: 5 drops Thyme oil + 3 teaspoons carrier oil.
- Use as needed, but no more than every 4 hours.
- Store in a cool place away from direct sunlight for up to 12 months when stored under proper conditions
Clove oil is a great mosquito repellent that is not only effective but smells great. It can be purchased at your local health store and is very affordable. You can apply clove oil directly to your skin or mix it with coconut oil and use as a spray.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic and has been used for centuries to treat skin infections, insect bites and other skin irritations. It works by killing bacteria and germs—in this case, mosquitoes. The smell of tea tree oil can be quite strong, which means it can also be used in a diffuser to keep mosquitos away from you when you’re at home or in your backyard.
These oils can be used to repel mosquitos
Here are the best oils that can be used to repel mosquitoes:
- Cinnamon oil
- Lemon eucalyptus oil
- Lemongrass oil
- Lavender oil
- Tea tree oil
- Thyme oil
Clove and Vanilla bean (the seeds) are great for repelling insects, but may upset those with sensitive skin or respiratory conditions.
- Protects Against Mosquitoes for up to 6 Hours: Without any nasty chemicals like DEET, you’ll have up to 6 hours of worry-free protection on your next adventure.
- 4 Hour Tick Protection: Our specially formulated spray provides protection against deer ticks for up to 4 hours, as well as lone star and brown dog ticks for up to 8 hours
- Harness the Power of Natural Plant-Based Ingredients: 30% Lemon Eucalyptus Oil (Citriodiol), 70% Distilled Water and Corn Ethanol
- Doesn’t Harm Gear: Spray a few pumps on your skin or gear, and enjoy the natural power from the only plant based repellent recommended by the CDC!
- 100% DEET Free, No Dyes, No Synthetic Fragrances, No Harsh Chemicals
Additional Info :
- MADE WITH OIL OF LEMON EUCALYPTUS: This DEET-free insect repellent provides you with protection during adventures in the backyard and on the go.
- REPELS MOSQUITOES FOR UP TO 6 HOURS: This repellent keeps you and your family protected for hours, so the fun doesn’t have to end.
- REFRESHING SCENT: This DEET-free personal repellent leaves you with a cool, refreshing scent so you don’t have to put up with the usual bug spray smell.
- REPELS: Create a barrier against mosquitoes, including those that may transmit the Zika, West Nile, Dengue and Chikungunya viruses.
- NOT GREASY OR STICKY: Formulated with oil of lemon eucalyptus to provide protection without leaving your skin feeling sticky or greasy.
Additional Info :
- HIGH-QUALITY BUG REPELLANT: Nantucket Spider’s DEET-free insect repellent spray is formulated with a range of organic, high-quality ingredients to provide protection against all types of biting insects. Unlike most other repellents, our long-lasting formula is water-based, which will not damage your clothing or leave your skin feeling sticky or greasy.
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Our natural mosquito repellent spray is made with a carefully selected blend of organic essential oils, including rosemary, geranium, cedarwood, peppermint, spearmint, lemongrass, clove and citronella. The perfect bug repellent for camping, beach outings, Little League games, or any other outdoor excursion!
- EASY APPLICATION: Nantucket Spider’s signature lockable fine-mist trigger sprayer is specially designed to prevent leaks and to maximize insect repellent spray coverage. Shake well before using and press the unlock button on the nozzle to apply.
- PLEASANT SCENT: Repel bugs not people! Independently Lab-tested for 98-100% effectiveness against mosquitos, Nantucket Spider’s essential oil mosquito spray proves that a repellent doesn’t need to smell like chemicals to work. Our customers love the light, natural scent of our repel bug spray.
- EFFECTIVE PROTECTION: We use organic essential oils for bugs that are proven to work against mosquitos, and that also repel ticks and a variety of biting insects like black flies, horse flies, deer flies, and greenhead flies. Independent lab tests demonstrate 98-100% repellent effectiveness against mosquitos. Protect your skin with DEET-free essential bug repellent during all your outdoor activities!
Additional Info :
- KILLS & REPELS. A preventative and a treatment, this spray is a natural pest repellent, and kills mosquitoes, ants, fleas, ticks, roaches, flies, scorpions, chiggers, crickets, chinch bugs, japanese beetles, no-see-ums, gnats and more. Safe alternative to conventional pesticide sprays, baits, ant granules, zappers or foggers.
- SPRAY & PLAY! Safe around cats, dogs and people of all ages, with no wait time for drying or reentry into sprayed outside areas. Just attach directly to a garden hose, spray your backyard, and enjoy. Keep the bottle & Refill the sprayer with our Outdoor Pest Control Concentrate!
- TREATS UP TO 5,000 SQUARE FEET. A bug control spray that can be safely used on lawns, gardens, grass, picnic areas, playgrounds, patios, vegetables, flowers, siding, brick, paint and more. Treat an existing pest infestation or for prevention. Application coverage depends on water pressure and walking speed.
- NO HARSH CHEMICALS. No artificial colors, fragrances or harsh pesticides. Made in the USA from powerful, sustainable plant-based ingredients. Cruelty free and biodegradable. Keep the bottle & Refill the sprayer with our Outdoor Pest Control Concentrate!
- POWERED BY NATURE, AS POWERFUL AS PERMETHRIN. Powered by cedar oil, our eco-friendly formula is proven to kill and repel pests. Safe when sprayed outdoors around pets, kids, and beneficial insects like bees and butterflies. Permethrin-Free. Packaging may vary.
Additional Info :
- A Natural Repellent That Actually Works: Each incense repellent sticks provides protection from mosquitos for up to 2.5 hours
- Harness the Power of Nature with Five Key Plant-Based Repellent Oils: Citronella, Lemongrass, Rosemary, Cedarwood, and Peppermint oils
- Harness the Power of Nature with Our Unique Blend of Repellent Oils: We use a combination of plant-based repellent oils that other manufacturers tend to overlook, to provide you with the best mosquito protection
- No Petroleum, No Synthetic Fragrances, No Harsh Chemicals
- Enjoy Life Outdoors: Make your outdoors yours again – not theirs. Sit back on your patio, campground, or at your next BBQ bite-free with a natural repellent that actually works*** This product is not available for sale in Indiana ***
Additional Info :