As dog owners, we’ve all been there. Flies, mosquitoes, and ticks are just some of the pests that can be found in any season. Many pests can carry disease which is why it’s always a good idea to keep an animal-friendly pest control regimen. Here are some DIY and commercial products you can use to control ticks, mosquitoes, and other pests from spreading disease to your dog or cat. Using natural pest control for dogs is the best way to keep your home free of pests and free of chemicals. Replacing chemicals with natural solutions can benefit your dog’s health and the environment.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a great natural pest control for dogs. Mix it with water and spray it on your dog, and you can also use it to spray around the perimeter of your home. Make sure you spray both on the floors and surfaces, as well as in cracks and crevices. If you have a pet bed, soak that too!
Clean Your Home
You can also use natural cleaning products to reduce pests in your home. There are many safe, effective products that you can use around your dog and the house without causing any harm.
- Vacuum: Vacuuming is a great way to get rid of bugs and fleas in your home because it will suck up dead insects as well as their eggs, larvae and pupae. This also helps prevent them from coming back into the house too soon after vacuuming them up!
- Wash Bedding: Make sure that you wash your dog’s bedding weekly with hot water (about 130 degrees Fahrenheit) and dry it on high heat for 30 minutes before putting it back on its bed again. Your dog’s bedding should be washed at least once every two weeks or so—more often if they spend a lot of time outside in doggy playdate areas or other places where they might come across ticks or fleas easily!
List of Safe Essential Oils
- Citronella: One of the most popular essential oils for dogs, citronella helps repel mosquitoes. It’s an oil that has a citrusy, lemony scent and can be used to create homemade all-natural repellents for your dog or yourself.
- Eucalyptus: This is another favorite among the essential oil community when it comes to natural pest control. Eucalyptus is great because it can be used on both humans and pets!
- Lavender: This calming plant is one of the most popular scents in aromatherapy because it has many therapeutic properties including stress relief and relaxation.* Lemongrass: While not as widely used by pet owners as some other essential oils, this tropical grass has been shown to kill fleas and ticks on dogs—all while smelling amazing.* Peppermint: For those who want their furry friend to smell minty fresh all day long, peppermint essential oil may help do just that! Not only will it keep pests away from your pup but also freshen up their coat by removing excess oils from their pores.* Rosemary: This herbaceous plant smells great when paired with lemon juice (or any acidic ingredient) but don’t worry about scaring off predators with its strong aroma! Rosemary’s scent makes bugs think there’s something poisonous nearby which keeps them away from both you AND your pet.* Tea Tree Oil/Citronella/Lavender Spray Recipe – If you’re looking for something quick-and-easy then try this DIY spray made out of ingredients found right in your kitchen cabinets right now–no need for expensive store purchases here! The best part? All three ingredients together have been shown time and time again as being effective against fleas so even if they don’t love each other individually they’ll definitely work well together against these pesky critters.”
List of Non-Safe Essential Oils
# Citrus Essential Oils – These essential oils can damage your dog’s skin and eyes, so they are not safe to use. Also, citrus essential oil is phototoxic so it may cause sunburn in your dog if they get sun exposure after touching it.
- Bergamot (Citrus bergamia)
- Grapefruit (Citrus x paradisi)
- Lime (Citrus aurantifolia)
Make a DIY Pest Repellent Spray
To make your own DIY pest repellent spray, combine the following ingredients in a spray bottle:
- 1 teaspoon of essential oils
- 1/2 cup of warm water
- 2 tablespoons of witch hazel (aloe vera gel also works)
To use this mixture as a dog spray, simply spray it on your dog’s fur or around the house. You can also apply it directly to your hands and rub it into their fur or paws if they don’t like being sprayed with something from above.
Protect your dog from pests naturally with these remedies.
- apple cider vinegar is a safe and easy-to-use natural insect repellent. Mix a solution of 10% apple cider vinegar and 90% water in a spray bottle, then spray your dog’s bedding, grooming tools, toys or other surfaces where they might be laying or playing.
- essential oils have been shown to be effective against fleas. You can purchase pest-repelling essential oils such as citronella and cedar oil from many pet stores, or you can make them yourself with this DIY pest repellent recipe: combine 1 cup olive oil and 20 drops peppermint essential oil in a small glass jar; seal shut and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds; add 1 teaspoon baking powder; seal shut again until ready for use (shake vigorously before every application). Note that not all dogs will tolerate being treated with non-safe essential oils like citronella so always test first on an inconspicuous area before applying liberally over your dog’s entire body! If you notice any reaction from your pet after using these products please discontinue use immediately.
List of Natural Pest Control For Dogs
Price : $12.49 ($0.52 / Fl Oz)
- FRESH SCENT: EcoSmart’s Natural Indoor/Outdoor Home Pest Control eliminates ants, roaches, crickets, ticks and other household pests by contact with the help of essential oils, such as Rosemary, Clove and Thyme, so there’s no overbearing, harsh, chemical smell- only a fresh scent and no bugs
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY: Our natural, plant-based formula kills home pests without harming fish, wildlife and does not contaminate groundwater supplies, so you can feel good about using EcoSmart
- CHILD AND PET FRIENDLY: Safe to use around children and pets (when used as directed)
- NO CHEMICAL: Take chemicals out of your lawn, garden and home equation with EcoSmart
- MADE IN THE USA
Additional Info :
Wondercide – EcoTreat Ready-to-Use Outdoor Pest Control Spray with Natural Essential Oils – Mosquito and Insect Repellent, Treatment, and Killer – Plant-Based – Safe for Pets, Plants, Kids – 32 oz
Price : $34.99 ($34.99 / Count)
- KILLS & REPELS. A preventative and a treatment, this spray is a natural pest repellent, and kills mosquitoes, ants, fleas, ticks, roaches, flies, scorpions, chiggers, crickets, chinch bugs, japanese beetles, no-see-ums, gnats and more. Safe alternative to conventional pesticide sprays, baits, ant granules, zappers or foggers.
- SPRAY & PLAY! Safe around cats, dogs and people of all ages, with no wait time for drying or reentry into sprayed outside areas. Just attach directly to a garden hose, spray your backyard, and enjoy. Keep the bottle & Refill the sprayer with our Outdoor Pest Control Concentrate!
- TREATS UP TO 5,000 SQUARE FEET. A bug control spray that can be safely used on lawns, gardens, grass, picnic areas, playgrounds, patios, vegetables, flowers, siding, brick, paint and more. Treat an existing pest infestation or for prevention. Application coverage depends on water pressure and walking speed.
- NO HARSH CHEMICALS. No artificial colors, fragrances or harsh pesticides. Made in the USA from powerful, sustainable plant-based ingredients. Cruelty free and biodegradable. Keep the bottle & Refill the sprayer with our Outdoor Pest Control Concentrate!
- POWERED BY NATURE, AS POWERFUL AS PERMETHRIN. Powered by cedar oil, our eco-friendly formula is proven to kill and repel pests. Safe when sprayed outdoors around pets, kids, and beneficial insects like bees and butterflies. Permethrin-Free. Packaging may vary.
Additional Info :
Wondercide Natural Products – Indoor Pest Control Spray for Home and Kitchen – Fly, Ant, Spider, Roach, Flea, Bug Killer and Insect Repellent – Eco-Friendly, Pet and Family Safe — 32 oz Lemongrass
Price : $34.99 ($1.09 / FL Oz)
- KILLS & REPELS. A preventative and a treatment, this pet-safe insect spray kills and repels indoor pests and keeps your home pest-free. Kills flying, crawling, biting and stinging pests including ants, roaches, spiders, flies, fleas, ticks, wasps, scorpions, mosquitoes, fruit flies, silverfish, moths, gnats, carpet beetles, earwigs, palmetto bugs, waterbugs.
- PROTECT YOUR HOME. This versatile bug control spray is also an indoor flea treatment and flea killer for your home. It kills fleas in carpet, furniture, bedding and flooring, and eliminates adults, eggs, and larvae in the home without staining.
- SAFE FOR DOGS & CATS. Pet-friendly, this spray is gentle enough to use several times a week around your loved ones, throughout the house, yet powerful enough to fully eliminate pests and provide lasting defense of your household from invading insects.
- PLANT-BASED AND POWERFULLY EFFECTIVE. Using natural essential oils, this spray is a safe alternative to electronic bug zappers, lights, traps, powders, granules and conventional pesticides. No artificial colors, fragrances or harsh chemicals. Biodegradable. Cruelty-Free.
- EASY-TO-USE. This eco-friendly biopesticide can be sprayed easily around the home, throughout the kitchen, bathroom, and any other living areas. Simply spray around windows, doors, baseboards, under sinks, in cabinets, and around appliances. Works great for dog kennels and cat condos, too! Spray as often as desired for a pest-free home. Made in the USA from naturally-derived ingredients and safe around children. Safe when used as directed.
Additional Info :
PetHonesty Flea & Tick Defense Supplement – Natural Flea and Tick Soft Chew for Dogs, Pest Defense to Promote Body’s Natural Response, Oral Flea Pills for Dogs – 90 ct
Price : $26.99 ($0.30 / Count)
- A Natural Flea + Tick Defense – These delicious hickory bacon flavored soft chews promote the body’s natural response to ward off fleas, ticks and mites. These soft chews have been vet-reviewed and formulated by experts using natural ingredients like coconut oil, flaxseed, garlic and brewer’s yeast (all within the safe limits for dogs) to provide safe defense for your dog!
- Builds Daily + Long-Term Resistance When Given Every Day – 100% safe levels of natural ingredients like coconut oil, garlic, B vitamins and omegas help build up internal resistance to seasonal pests in your dog’s body. These ingredients also have the added benefit of supporting your dog’s skin, joint and immune health with omega-3’s that help promote a healthy inflammatory response.
- Easier + Less Mess Than Oils, Sprays and Collars – These soft chews have a delicious hickory bacon flavor that your dog will love.1-3 treats a day (depending on your dog’s weight) will not only help provide additional protection against pests but will also help support joint, skin and immune health with the added omegas and vitamins. Please consult with your vet first before stopping any medication.
- Made with Active Ingredients + NO Toxins, Soy, or GMOs – PetHonesty products are not only made with safe natural ingredients but they contain no harsh preservatives, GMOs, wheat, soy or corn. When compared with comparable products, PetHonesty chews have more active ingredients and no harmful fillers.
- GMP Certified Facility | NASC Member Company – All PetHonesty products are made in the US with US and globally sourced ingredients and are produced in a GMP certified facility that meets the highest safety standards so you can rest assured you’re giving your pet the best quality product possible! PetHonesty is also a NASC member company meaning it’s met the quality and compliance standards for pet supplements.
Additional Info :
Wondercide – EcoTreat Outdoor Pest Control Spray Concentrate with Natural Essential Oils – Mosquito, Ant, Roach, and Insect Killer, Treatment, and Repellent – Safe for Pets, Plants, Kids – 16 oz
Price : $39.99
- KILLS & REPELS. A preventative and a treatment, this plant-powered spray is handcrafted with the purest natural essential oils. Kills mosquitoes, ants, fleas, ticks, roaches, flies, scorpions, crickets, chinch bugs, japanese beetles, no-see-ums, gnats, and more. Safe alternative to conventional pesticide sprays, baits, ant granules, zappers or foggers.
- SPRAY & PLAY! Safe for cats, dogs and people of all ages, with no wait time for drying or reentry into sprayed outside areas. Just mix desired amount of product into any applicator and fill to the top with recommended amount of water, spray your backyard, and enjoy.
- TREATS UP TO 10,000 SQUARE FEET. A bug control spray that can be safely used on lawns, gardens, patios, grass, picnic areas, playgrounds, vegetables, flowers, siding, brick, paint and more. Treat an existing pest infestation or for prevention. Application coverage depends on water pressure and walking speed. Our concentrates are a great refill to the Wondercide Ready-to-Use Outdoor Pest Control Spray. Applicator required (not included).
- TREAT NATURE WITH NATURE. Our plant-derived concentrates are effective and powered by natural essential oils. Can be used safely on yards, gardens (including edible gardens), patios, flowers, siding, brick, paint, and more. Non-harsh formula.
- POWERED BY NATURE, AS POWERFUL AS PERMETHRIN. Powered by cedar oil, our eco-friendly formula is proven to kill and repel pests. Safe around pets, kids, and beneficial insects like bees and butterflies when sprayed outdoors. Permethrin-Free.
Additional Info :