Natural Pest Control For Lawns
You may not think of mowing as a way to control pests, but it is a great practice. Mowing regularly—at least once every 3-4 days during the growing season—can help prevent pests from invading your lawn. This is because frequent mowing will cut off their food source and limit the amount of time they have to reproduce. Plus, if you don’t have time to mow your entire lawn every time you go out with your pushmower or ride-on mower, then just make sure that you’re only removing the top 1/3 of the grass blades each time you cut them so that there are still plenty left on the ground for grubs and other insects that love eating grass roots!
Aerate The Soil
Aeration is the process of removing small plugs of soil from your lawn. By doing this, you allow air to get into the soil and help it breathe. This is an important step in any healthy lawn care routine because your grass needs oxygen in order to thrive.
This can be done manually with a special tool called an aerator or mechanically with a tractor-mounted machine that pulls up chunks of dirt as it moves along. Either way, make sure you do not go too deep into the ground; going deeper than 1/4 inch will hurt your grass instead of helping it!
Rake Dead Grass
Raking dead grass will help to remove the habitat for pests and prevent thatch buildup. Raking also helps to improve the soil, which can lead to healthier grass roots and a lower risk of insects and disease.
Use Mulch In Flower Beds
- Mulch helps keep moisture in the soil. Yellowing leaves, brown patches, and wilted plants are signs that your lawn needs water. A healthy lawn should show no sign of browning or wilting when it’s properly watered.
- Mulch reduces weeds by providing a barrier between the dirt and sunlight, so weeds cannot grow as easily.
- Mulch protects roots from extreme temperatures by insulating them from freezing cold weather and hot summer days—especially important if you have a clay soil!
- Water doesn’t splash up onto plant leaves when there’s mulch on top; this keeps mold spores from being splashed onto plants to begin with!
Apply Pesticides Only When Necessary
If you’re looking for a natural alternative to pesticides, consider using nematodes. These microscopic organisms are the most common predators of grubs and other worm-like pests. When applied correctly, nematodes can effectively kill grasshoppers and other destructive insects without harming other beneficial insects or plants.
However, beware: when purchasing nematodes from a local nursery or garden supply store, be sure that they’ve been approved by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency). You may have seen products labeled “nematodes,” but unless these were specifically produced as biological controls by an EPA-approved facility—or come with an EPA label—you should avoid using them on your lawns.
Neem Oil As A Natural Pesticide
Neem oil is a natural pesticide that has been around for centuries. The ancient civilization of India used neem oil to control pests, as well as to treat skin problems and other diseases. Neem oil contains fatty acids, triterpenoids (compounds similar to steroids), and essential oils that make it poisonous to insects but safe for humans and animals. It’s also water-soluble so it can be mixed with water or applied directly on your lawn and garden plants without harming them.
Neem oil works by penetrating the exoskeleton of insects and disrupting their growth cycle so they can’t molt properly or reproduce effectively. When insects ingest neem oil through foliage or seeds, it affects their nervous system causing paralysis which eventually leads to death if untreated by food supply (usually from another insect).
Diatomaceous Earth For Chinch Bugs, Ants, Fleas, And Other Pests That Crawl
For organic lawn care, diatomaceous earth is a safe, natural pest control that is effective against chinch bugs, ants, fleas and other crawling insects. Diatomaceous earth is made from the fossilized remains of tiny organisms called diatoms. The skeletons of these ancient organisms are composed of silicon dioxide (SiO2), which makes up glass and sand. When the silica in this powder comes into contact with an insect’s exoskeleton it causes it to dry out and crack.
The insects die from dehydration or starvation because they can no longer absorb nutrients through their exoskeletons after they have been treated with diatomaceous earth.
Pyrethrum For Lawn Insects Like Ants, Mosquitoes, And Fleas
Pyrethrum is derived from the dried flower heads of chrysanthemum flowers. It is used as a botanical insecticide, and can be used to control many different pests including ants, mosquitoes, fleas, ticks and chinch bugs. Pyrethrum is toxic to both adult insects and larvae because it attacks their nervous systems.
Clove Oil As A Natural Insecticide For Slugs, Caterpillars & Aphids
Clove oil is a natural pesticide that can be used to control slugs, caterpillars and aphids. It should be used with caution around pet food and water bowls because it is toxic to dogs and cats.
The recommended application rate of clove oil for pets is 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. Mix this solution in a spray bottle, then mist the plant or insect with it. As an alternative, you can make your own clove oil insecticide by mixing 1 teaspoon of clove oil into one quart (1 liter) of water; apply as above.
Beneficial Nematodes For Lawn & Garden Pests That Crawl Or Fly
The good news is that nematodes can be used to control a wide variety of pests, including some very common ones. The bad news is that nematodes are not as effective against insect pests as beneficial insects are, so you will need to use them in conjunction with other methods for best results.
Nematodes can be applied using an agricultural sprayer or by hand. To apply nematodes by hand, simply scatter them around the perimeter of your lawn where you think the most likely pests may enter or exit your yard. You should also sprinkle them along the baseboards inside your home if there are any areas where they might enter from outside (like cracks in doors). For best results, apply at least once per week until pest numbers have subsided and then twice weekly thereafter until they disappear completely from your lawn.
Natural pesticides are the best way to keep those pests out of your yard.
- Benefits of natural pesticides
- Dangers of over-application
- Choosing the right pesticide for the right pest
- Applying natural pesticides correctly
- KILLS & REPELS. A preventative and a treatment, this spray is a natural pest repellent, and kills mosquitoes, ants, fleas, ticks, roaches, flies, scorpions, chiggers, crickets, chinch bugs, japanese beetles, no-see-ums, gnats and more. Safe alternative to conventional pesticide sprays, baits, ant granules, zappers or foggers.
- SPRAY & PLAY! Safe around cats, dogs and people of all ages, with no wait time for drying or reentry into sprayed outside areas. Just attach directly to a garden hose, spray your backyard, and enjoy. Keep the bottle & Refill the sprayer with our Outdoor Pest Control Concentrate!
- TREATS UP TO 5,000 SQUARE FEET. A bug control spray that can be safely used on lawns, gardens, grass, picnic areas, playgrounds, patios, vegetables, flowers, siding, brick, paint and more. Treat an existing pest infestation or for prevention. Application coverage depends on water pressure and walking speed.
- NO HARSH CHEMICALS. No artificial colors, fragrances or harsh pesticides. Made in the USA from powerful, sustainable plant-based ingredients. Cruelty free and biodegradable. Keep the bottle & Refill the sprayer with our Outdoor Pest Control Concentrate!
- POWERED BY NATURE, AS POWERFUL AS PERMETHRIN. Powered by cedar oil, our eco-friendly formula is proven to kill and repel pests. Safe when sprayed outdoors around pets, kids, and beneficial insects like bees and butterflies. Permethrin-Free. Packaging may vary.
Additional Info :
- Kills and Repels Over 100 Home Invading Pests
- Use in All Areas In & Around Your Home, Including Kitchens
- Environmentally Safe
- Works Fast!
- 64 oz. Ready to Use
Additional Info :
- KILLS & REPELS. A preventative and a treatment, this plant-powered spray is handcrafted with the purest natural essential oils. Kills mosquitoes, ants, fleas, ticks, roaches, flies, scorpions, crickets, chinch bugs, japanese beetles, no-see-ums, gnats, and more. Safe alternative to conventional pesticide sprays, baits, ant granules, zappers or foggers.
- SPRAY & PLAY! Safe for cats, dogs and people of all ages, with no wait time for drying or reentry into sprayed outside areas. Just mix desired amount of product into any applicator and fill to the top with recommended amount of water, spray your backyard, and enjoy.
- TREATS UP TO 10,000 SQUARE FEET. A bug control spray that can be safely used on lawns, gardens, patios, grass, picnic areas, playgrounds, vegetables, flowers, siding, brick, paint and more. Treat an existing pest infestation or for prevention. Application coverage depends on water pressure and walking speed. Our concentrates are a great refill to the Wondercide Ready-to-Use Outdoor Pest Control Spray. Applicator required (not included).
- TREAT NATURE WITH NATURE. Our plant-derived concentrates are effective and powered by natural essential oils. Can be used safely on yards, gardens (including edible gardens), patios, flowers, siding, brick, paint, and more. Non-harsh formula.
- POWERED BY NATURE, AS POWERFUL AS PERMETHRIN. Powered by cedar oil, our eco-friendly formula is proven to kill and repel pests. Safe around pets, kids, and beneficial insects like bees and butterflies when sprayed outdoors. Permethrin-Free.
Additional Info :
Additional Info :
- KILLS & REPELS. A mosquito preventative and a treatment, this pest-repellent spray bundle is powered by natural essential oils and protects your pets and family. Works on mosquitoes, ants, flies, fleas, ticks, and more.
- SPRAY & PLAY! Safe around cats, dogs, and people of all ages, with no wait time for drying or reentry into sprayed areas and environments. Just attach the ready-to-use bottle directly to a garden hose, spray your backyard, and enjoy.
- TREATS UP TO 15,000 SQUARE FEET. Can be safely used on lawns, gardens, grass, patios, dog kennels, vegetables, flowers, siding, brick, paint, and more. Treat an existing pest infestation or for prevention. Application coverage depends on water pressure and walking speed.
- ECO-CONSCIOUS WITH NO NASTY CHEMICALS. No artificial colors, dyes, or fragrances. Made in the USA from powerful, sustainable, plant-based ingredients. Safe when sprayed outdoors around pets, kids, and beneficial insects like bees and butterflies. Cruelty-Free and biodegradable. Help planet Earth by easily refilling and reusing the ready-to-use bottle by mixing the concentrate with warm water.
- POWERFULLY EFFECTIVE WITH THE PUREST, NATURAL ESSENTIAL OILS. Powered by cedar oil, Wondercide is safe pest protection that’s proven to work, especially for mosquito, ant, fly, flea, and tick removal. Packaging May Vary.
Additional Info :