Pest Control for Plants. A problem with having plants indoors is that you have to worry about pests and bugs eating them. You can stand back and let aphids, grasshoppers, and earwigs feed on your plants or you can fight them off naturally with a homemade pesticide spray. Plant pests are no laughing matter. They can be easily spread to other plants, not to mention the time and money which can be wasted as a result. Wouldn’t you like to be able to get rid of these pests without losing your cool? If so, arming yourself with homemade pesticides is the answer.
Natural Pest Control For Plants
Aphids are small, soft-bodied insects that live on the undersides of leaves. They have a wide host range and can infest a variety of plants including many common garden favorites like roses and lettuce, as well as ornamental trees and shrubs. Aphid species vary in appearance: some are wingless while others have wings; some change color to match their host plant; others are green or brown all year round.
Some aphid species reproduce rapidly by parthenogenesis (asexual reproduction), meaning they do not need a male to reproduce—instead they can produce offspring without mating with another individual. This means that once one female aphid starts an infestation, it can spread very quickly!
For scale, you can use a cotton swab to apply oil to the scale. This helps remove them from your plant. This may take some time, but it’s worth it if you want your plants to thrive without any pests. You can also prune infected leaves and stems that are affected by scale insects to prevent them from spreading on other parts of your plant.
The first step to controlling whiteflies is to identify them. Whiteflies are small, sap-sucking insects that are usually white or yellow. They can be found on the undersides of leaves and around buds, stems, and flowers of plants in your garden. The presence of these pests is signaled by tiny spots on plant leaves where they have been feeding on phloem tissue (the part of the plant that transports nutrients).
Whiteflies affect many types of plants; however, they prefer warm weather so you may not see them until summertime has arrived. If left untreated for too long, whitefly infestations can cause serious damage to a large number of your favorite crops like tomatoes or roses! Once detected early enough though there is no need worry as there are several effective ways to get rid/prevent these pests from coming back again next year!
Spider mites are tiny spider-like pests that can cause damage to plants by sucking the sap out of their leaves. They may look like tiny spiders, but they’re not related to the true spider. Luckily, there are several simple ways to prevent and treat a spider mite infestation if you notice any signs of one on your plants.
First, make a soap spray with dishwashing liquid (30%), water and peppermint oil that will kill off the little critters when sprayed directly on them or applied as a spray every few days until they’re gone. Just don’t use too much dishwashing liquid—too much can damage your plants!
If you have trouble finding peppermint oil at the store, try substituting any essential oil with anti-insect properties (eucalyptus oil is another great option).
How to identify leafhoppers:
- They are small insects with wings that are usually yellow or green.
- You will often find them in large groups on your plants.
How to remove them: The best way to keep leafhoppers away from your plants is by using insecticidal soap spray and applying it twice a week when you see signs of the pests in your home garden.
How to prevent them from damaging other plants in the future: Using a systemic insecticide like Ortho® Bug B Gon® Concentrate Insect Killer for Lawns & Gardens can help you kill off any adult leafhoppers that are around at this time, which will prevent them from laying eggs on any new plant growth in the future.
Squash bugs are common pests in gardens, especially during the summer months. Squash bugs are about 1/4 inch long and oval shaped, with a brownish-gray body and black wings. They love to feast on squash plants, including pumpkins and gourds.
They can be removed manually by hand-picking them out of your garden or spraying strong jets of water at them to knock them off the plants (but beware: they won’t drown).
Slugs and snails
If you have a pet, you can feed them to your pet.
- Mulch around plants to help keep slugs and snails away.
- Use copper tape around containers.
- Use diatomaceous earth (natural powder made from fossilized sea creatures).
- Use a solution of yeast and sugar to get rid of slugs and snails. You must reapply this solution after rain or heavy watering so it doesn’t wash away, which should be daily during dry periods if necessary.
There are many natural ways to remove pests from your garden.
Here are some ways to use natural pest control:
- Organic barriers. If a plant is susceptible to pests, surround it with a barrier of living plants that are more difficult for the pests to penetrate. The best way to do this is by planting in pots and placing each pot inside another larger pot so that the smaller plants are protected from insect damage. This works well for inside houseplants as well as outdoor ones like tomatoes and lettuce that might be bothered by bugs or diseases such as mildew and rust. If you don’t want to bother with this type of setup, try using mulch around susceptible plants instead; both methods should keep most insects at bay without needing any additional sprays or powders on top!
- Pesticide alternatives (like dandelion wine). You can also make your own pesticides using ingredients found right in your pantry or backyard—for example by making dandelion wine (which also happens to be delicious)! All you need is some sugar syrup and fresh dandelions picked from outside; combine them together over time until they’re fully fermented into sweet nectar which will then kill off any pesky insects when sprayed onto foliage every few days during warm seasons (when pests tend towards being active).
- MAXIMUM STRENGTH READY TO USE SPRAY – No mixing required. Trifecta Crop Control Ready To Use is diluted at maximum strength 2oz per gallon ratio. Simply point and spray and thoroughly wet the plants until foliage is dripping including the underside of the leaves and the surface of the growing medium.
- EASY SOLUTION TO HELP BEAT MILDEW, MITES, AND MOLD – Crop Control is the natural growers’ choice to help protect and cure Powdery Mildew, Spider Mites, Russet Mites, Broad Mites, Botrytis, Grey Mold, Aphids, fungal and parasitic species on plants.
- SAFE FOR USE ON MOST PLANTS – Use for most crops including fruits, vegetables, herbs, spices, roses, flowers, trees, shrubs, houseplants, succulents, ornamentals and more. Save time and money with this quick and easy solution to mildew, mold, and fungus. *Test spray a few leaves full application*
- FARMER RECOMMENDED – Unique blend of food-grade PREMIUM essential oils including garlic, thyme, clove and peppermint oils broken down to NANO-SIZE particles for MAXIMUM COVERAGE. Crop Control is made with natural food-grade ingredients so you can feel good about what you are putting on your plants and the planet.
- GUARANTEED TO WORK FOR YOU – We are totally confident that Trifecta Crop Control will work for you, as it has for thousands of other growers. With your Trifecta Crop Control purchase, you are protected by Amazon’s money-back guarantee (all terms apply) so you can order now with CONFIDENCE.
Additional Info :
- KILLS & REPELS. A preventative and a treatment, this spray is a natural pest repellent, and kills mosquitoes, ants, fleas, ticks, roaches, flies, scorpions, chiggers, crickets, chinch bugs, japanese beetles, no-see-ums, gnats and more. Safe alternative to conventional pesticide sprays, baits, ant granules, zappers or foggers.
- SPRAY & PLAY! Safe around cats, dogs and people of all ages, with no wait time for drying or reentry into sprayed outside areas. Just attach directly to a garden hose, spray your backyard, and enjoy. Keep the bottle & Refill the sprayer with our Outdoor Pest Control Concentrate!
- TREATS UP TO 5,000 SQUARE FEET. A bug control spray that can be safely used on lawns, gardens, grass, picnic areas, playgrounds, patios, vegetables, flowers, siding, brick, paint and more. Treat an existing pest infestation or for prevention. Application coverage depends on water pressure and walking speed.
- NO HARSH CHEMICALS. No artificial colors, fragrances or harsh pesticides. Made in the USA from powerful, sustainable plant-based ingredients. Cruelty free and biodegradable. Keep the bottle & Refill the sprayer with our Outdoor Pest Control Concentrate!
- POWERED BY NATURE, AS POWERFUL AS PERMETHRIN. Powered by cedar oil, our eco-friendly formula is proven to kill and repel pests. Safe when sprayed outdoors around pets, kids, and beneficial insects like bees and butterflies. Permethrin-Free. Packaging may vary.
Additional Info :
- FRESH SCENT: EcoSmart’s Natural Indoor/Outdoor Home Pest Control eliminates ants, roaches, crickets, ticks and other household pests by contact with the help of essential oils, such as Rosemary, Clove and Thyme, so there’s no overbearing, harsh, chemical smell- only a fresh scent and no bugs
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY: Our natural, plant-based formula kills home pests without harming fish, wildlife and does not contaminate groundwater supplies, so you can feel good about using EcoSmart
- CHILD AND PET FRIENDLY: Safe to use around children and pets (when used as directed)
- NO CHEMICAL: Take chemicals out of your lawn, garden and home equation with EcoSmart
- MADE IN THE USA
Additional Info :
- KILLS SOFT BODY INSECTS ON CONTACT- Only effective on spider mites (two-spotted mites, broad mites, russet mites), whiteflies, aphids, powdery mildew, and downy mildew.
- OMRI LISTED- Contains all-natural and organic food-based ingredients for organic gardening that is non-toxic and safe for human, pets, bees, ladybugs, and other beneficial predators.
- UNIQUE OIL EMULSION- Our unified and stable oil blends better and safer than other oils for plants. It mixes easy with water without separation and does not burn or suffocate the leaves, effect the plant’s development, or change the fruit’s taste or flavor. It can be used from seedling up to last day of harvest.
- PROVEN RECORD- Over 10 years’ experience with more than 300 successful trials on fruits, vegetables, ornamental and medical cannabis. With an ongoing R&D process, this product continues to evolve to be brought to perfection for optimal results.
Additional Info :
- KILLS & REPELS. A preventative and a treatment, this plant-powered spray is handcrafted with the purest natural essential oils. Kills mosquitoes, ants, fleas, ticks, roaches, flies, scorpions, crickets, chinch bugs, japanese beetles, no-see-ums, gnats, and more. Safe alternative to conventional pesticide sprays, baits, ant granules, zappers or foggers.
- SPRAY & PLAY! Safe for cats, dogs and people of all ages, with no wait time for drying or reentry into sprayed outside areas. Just mix desired amount of product into any applicator and fill to the top with recommended amount of water, spray your backyard, and enjoy.
- TREATS UP TO 10,000 SQUARE FEET. A bug control spray that can be safely used on lawns, gardens, patios, grass, picnic areas, playgrounds, vegetables, flowers, siding, brick, paint and more. Treat an existing pest infestation or for prevention. Application coverage depends on water pressure and walking speed. Our concentrates are a great refill to the Wondercide Ready-to-Use Outdoor Pest Control Spray. Applicator required (not included).
- TREAT NATURE WITH NATURE. Our plant-derived concentrates are effective and powered by natural essential oils. Can be used safely on yards, gardens (including edible gardens), patios, flowers, siding, brick, paint, and more. Non-harsh formula.
- POWERED BY NATURE, AS POWERFUL AS PERMETHRIN. Powered by cedar oil, our eco-friendly formula is proven to kill and repel pests. Safe around pets, kids, and beneficial insects like bees and butterflies when sprayed outdoors. Permethrin-Free.
Additional Info :