The mealybug is one of the most destructive pests of indoor plants. Mealybugs like to feed off on the root system of their host plant. Pesticides can be used to kill a mealybug infestation, but there are also ways to naturally get rid of them. This article discusses some ways that you can use to eliminate a mealybug infestation from your home and keep them from coming back. In the past few years, there has been an increase in the number of reports of two major pests, namely mealybugs and scale insects. Not only are they difficult to spot but also, it is hard to control them. This article discusses what natural pesticide kills mealybugs.
Natural Pesticide For Mealybugs
What are mealybugs?
Mealybugs are a type of insect that feed on plants. They’re small and white with a powdery coating over their bodies and appear to be covered in cotton. Mealybugs come in a variety of different shapes, sizes and colors, but they all share the same habits: they crawl around on your houseplants or other types of greenery and suck out their juices through tiny needle-like structures called “tentacles.”
These pests can be found in warm climates all over the world — including your backyard garden!
Mealybugs as garden pests
Mealybugs are a type of scale insect, which means they have the ability to suck sap from plants and spread diseases. They can be difficult to get rid of and are often found on houseplants as well as plants in the garden. Mealybugs can damage plants by sucking the sap out of them, causing leaves to become yellow or brown and eventually die off.
The mealybug will suck juices from stems, leaves and fruit (often ruining them). If you notice that your plant’s leaves have turned yellow or brown it may be due to mealybug infestation!
Life cycle of mealybugs
Mealybugs have a very unique life cycle, which makes their eradication difficult. Mealybugs can hatch from eggs to larvae in as little as a week, or up to 30 days if the temperature is low. The adult female lays 600 eggs at a time and it is common for an infestation of mealybugs to contain three generations at once.
Mealybug eggs are tiny and white, so they are easily missed. They look like cotton balls stuck on leaves and stems of your plants!
When you see the first signs of mealybugs (which will be noticeable because they leave behind sticky residue), you should take action immediately before the insects get out of control.
How to control mealybugs
There are several ways to control mealybugs, including the use of a natural pesticide such as neem oil. Mealybugs can also be controlled with a commercial pesticide.
The most effective way to remove mealybugs is by handpicking them and dropping them into soapy water until dead or vacuumed up with a handheld vacuum cleaner, which will kill the live bugs inside their cocoons. If you don’t want to go through this process, you can spray your plants with alcohol or bleach solution (10 percent) to kill the adult insects on contact; however, this method will not prevent future infestations unless you treat all plants at once because it does not kill any eggs or larvae hidden in crevices within leaves.
Natural pesticide for mealybugs
Neem oil is a natural pesticide. It’s extracted from the seeds of the neem tree and is used to repel mealybugs. Neem oil is safe for humans, pets and livestock if used as directed on labels.
When using neem oil as a natural pesticide:
- Apply it to soil around your plants and water in thoroughly to prevent future infestations of mealybugs.
- Do not spray directly onto leaves of plants or fruit, as this will cause leaf burn damage to your plants and may kill them!
Neem oil can be used as a natural pesticide to get rid of mealybugs.
Neem oil is an all-natural pesticide that can be used to get rid of mealybugs. Neem oil is derived from the seeds of the neem tree, and it has been used for centuries as a natural pesticide. It works by smothering the mealybug larvae and adult insects. It also interrupts the lifecycle of other pests such as aphids and mites by disrupting their egg laying habits.
Neem oil can be purchased at most garden supply stores or online, but it is important to make sure you buy food grade neem oil if you plan on using it in your home or yard. The best way to use food grade neem oil as a natural pesticide is by mixing one part water with two parts neem oil in a spray bottle before spraying it directly onto your plants where you have identified mealybugs are nesting or breeding. This mixture should be applied once every week for about three weeks until all signs of mealybugs disappear from your plant surfaces.
Neem Oil may also be effective against spider mites, white flies and leafhopper species when sprayed directly onto plants where these pests are present through foliar applications (which means they apply directly onto leaves). You can spray this mixture once every two weeks during periods of high pest pressure until no further damage occurs on affected plants
- Insect killer: kills aphids, mealybugs, mites, white flies, and more
- Fast acting: kills listed insects in minutes and is effective against adult, larvae, and nymph stages of pests
- Easy to use: ready-to-use bottle makes application easy
- Use on: for indoor or outdoor use on roses, flowers, fruits, vegetables, and even houseplants
- For use on vegetables, flowers, fruits and houseplants
Additional Info :
- MAXIMUM STRENGTH READY TO USE SPRAY – No mixing required. Trifecta Crop Control Ready To Use is diluted at maximum strength 2oz per gallon ratio. Simply point and spray and thoroughly wet the plants until foliage is dripping including the underside of the leaves and the surface of the growing medium.
- EASY SOLUTION TO HELP BEAT MILDEW, MITES, AND MOLD – Crop Control is the natural growers’ choice to help protect and cure Powdery Mildew, Spider Mites, Russet Mites, Broad Mites, Botrytis, Grey Mold, Aphids, fungal and parasitic species on plants.
- SAFE FOR USE ON MOST PLANTS – Use for most crops including fruits, vegetables, herbs, spices, roses, flowers, trees, shrubs, houseplants, succulents, ornamentals and more. Save time and money with this quick and easy solution to mildew, mold, and fungus. *Test spray a few leaves full application*
- FARMER RECOMMENDED – Unique blend of food-grade PREMIUM essential oils including garlic, thyme, clove and peppermint oils broken down to NANO-SIZE particles for MAXIMUM COVERAGE. Crop Control is made with natural food-grade ingredients so you can feel good about what you are putting on your plants and the planet.
- GUARANTEED TO WORK FOR YOU – We are totally confident that Trifecta Crop Control will work for you, as it has for thousands of other growers. With your Trifecta Crop Control purchase, you are protected by Amazon’s money-back guarantee (all terms apply) so you can order now with CONFIDENCE.
Additional Info :
- Extra Concentrated for Long-Lasting Protection
- Natural Ingredients Proven Effective in the Real World
- Large 16oz Bottle
- Powerful Essential Oil
Additional Info :
- Targets and kills aphids, earwigs, grasshoppers, harlequin bugs, leafhoppers, mealy bugs and mites
- Also kills plant bugs, psyllids, sawfly larvae, soft scales, spider mites, squash bugs, blossom thrips and whiteflies
- OMRI Listed and compliant for use in organic gardening; Does not kill beneficial insects and can be used up until the day of harvest
- No residual impact on the environment
- Excellent for use in hydroponic and indoor gardening
Additional Info :
- Specially formulated to protect your vegetables, crops, lawns and outdoor ornamental plants against foliage-feeding insects
- Uses a powerful combination of two active ingredients, it effectively controls spider mites and kills pest on contact
- Effective against powdery mildew when it is sprayed directly on contact, plus a complete coverage for total control
- Ready-to-spray formula works fast — it starts killing within minutes after application
- Use on outdoor residential areas, vegetable gardens, and non-commercial greenhouses
Additional Info :