If you love the outdoors, it’s only natural to want to spend as much time as possible in it. However, with bugs like black flies, that can become a literal pain. Whether you’re the type of camper who enjoys the wilderness or just someone who prefers the comfort of their own backyard, biting flying insects are always going to be an issue. The key is learning how to get rid of black flies in order to protect yourself from the nasty bites and uncomfortable itching they can cause. Black flies are a major nuisance that can ruin any camping trip where black flies live. Black flies will bite and cause an itchy rash to appear, which is not a very pleasant experience. We are going to outline what black flies are, where they live, and how you can get rid of them.
Natural Repellent For Black Flies
Get your body garbed in long sleeves and pants.
The best way to avoid bites is to cover yourself up. Wear long sleeves and pants when you’re outside, and tuck in your shirt to make sure that no skin is exposed. Light-coloured clothing will also help keep black flies from noticing you as a target. If you have long hair, keep it pulled back or tucked under a hat so that the bugs won’t get tangled up in it. Protect your eyes by wearing sunglasses (or even goggles for extra protection) as well as covering your mouth with scarves, netting or mesh masks/balaclavas like hunters use for protecting their faces from animal bites during hunting expeditions
Using a mixture of lemon, eucalyptus, citronella, lavender and tea tree essential oils.
To create the mixture, combine a few drops of each of the following essential oils: lemon, eucalyptus, citronella and lavender. Store the mixture in an 8 oz glass bottle with a screw-on lid. To apply it to yourself or your skin/clothing, rub it on liberally to deter mosquitoes and other biting insects. When you’re done applying it to yourself or clothing items that you wish to protect from bugs (like hats), store this bottle in a safe place for later use. You can use this homemade repellent up until two years from when you first make it if stored properly!
To apply this natural repellent to yourself or clothing items: It’s best when applied with a cotton swab but can also be applied directly onto your skin using fingertips (or even on clothing using sprays). Make sure they’re clean before applying!
The same mixture can be used to make a spray repellent.
If you want to make a spray repellent, simply add 1 1/2 cups of water and 2-3 tablespoons of the dry mixture to a glass jar. Put the lid on tightly and shake well. This is enough for one application. You can just spray this on yourself if you don’t want to be sticky or put it on your clothing, but spraying directly on your skin isn’t recommended because it can cause irritation if you have sensitive skin.
Make a body balm using coconut oil, beeswax, cedarwood and citronella essential oil.
- In a glass jar, combine coconut oil and beeswax.
- Fill a saucepan halfway with water and place on stovetop over low heat. Place the glass jar containing the coconut oil and beeswax mixture in the pan of water so that it’s submerged but does not touch the bottom of the pan (you may have to add more water).
- Heat until ingredients have melted together, stirring occasionally to keep from burning or sticking to bottom of pan; when mixture has melted completely, remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes before adding essential oils below:
- Add cedarwood essential oil (5 drops) first, followed by citronella essential oil (10 drops). Stir well until combined; if temperature is too cold at this point you can warm up your balm by placing it back on low heat for 5 minutes before applying it directly onto exposed skin
Use a natural mosquito repellent spray which works on other insects as well.
Mosquito repellent sprays are typically 100% natural and work on other insects as well. They contain essential oils, which are what repels the bugs. These essential oils can be applied directly to your skin, but also through clothing and in some cases even indoors.
The spray is typically applied directly to your skin or clothing in order to repel black flies and other bugs that might want to bite you while you’re outdoors enjoying nature.
Insect Repellant Wipes.
Insect Repellant Wipes
These wipes are great for keeping on hand at home or while you’re out and about. They are easy to use, convenient, can be used anywhere, and will keep black flies away from your face and body. They’re also great because they can be used on babies!
Burn an insect repelling candle to keep bugs out of the house.
Candles are a great way to keep black flies out of the house. There are several different types of candles you can use to keep black flies away from your home, including citronella, cloves and lemongrass. Citronella candles and incense will have a strong smell that will drive mosquitoes and other insects away from the area around it. You can also use tiki torches or any type of small torch as an alternative method for repelling bugs with citronella oil in them. If you don’t want to burn any type of candle in your house because it doesn’t fit into your décor, then consider planting a citronella plant in your backyard instead!
Protect your from black flies with these natural remedies
- Stay aware of your surroundings. Black flies are often found in areas with stagnant water or vegetation, so be extra careful when you’re around these areas. Also, if you’re not sure about whether or not it’s safe to go somewhere, don’t risk it!
- Wear long sleeves and pants. The less skin you have exposed to black flies, the better! If you can’t wear bug repellent while you’re outside then cover up as much as possible with clothing.
- Stay indoors at dusk. This is when black flies are most active, so try your best to avoid being outdoors during this time of day (or any time after sunset). You might have a hard time finding someplace that offers indoor seating on summer nights but hey—it’s worth a shot!
- Don’t wear cologne or perfume when going out into nature. If there’s one thing black flies love even more than people…it’s cologne and perfume! They’ll swarm any person who wears either one and make them miserable until they go back inside where it smells less like bug spray and more like sweat from doing yard work all day long.”
- ALL IN ONE REPELLENT AND ANTI-ITCH: “No-Bite-Me” DOES IT ALL! Forgot to apply “No-Bite-Me” and got some bug bites? No problem: it’s an anti-itch cream too! Other creams make you choose between repelling bugs and treating uncomfortable bug bites, but “No-Bite-Me” prevents and repairs bug-bombed skin. Effective on black flies, mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks.
- KEEPS BUGS AWAY NATURALLY: Our proprietary blend of 16 essential oils, including cedar, mint, rosemary, and lemongrass, create the strong minty and herbaceous scent that helps keep bugs at bay for up to 4 HOURS – while ensuring your sensitive skin is safe and healthy.
- SAFE FOR CHILDREN: “No-Bite-Me” is a completely safe, natural bug repellent. It’s easy to apply – just dot on exposed skin and blend in. No mess. No fuss. Deet free to protect even the smallest adventurers.
- FULL SIZE FOR BEST VALUE: Our 8oz tin of “No-Bite-Me” cream is amazing for the seasoned traveler! Throw a tin in your backpack, or keep it handy when camping. One tin provides plenty of relief for you and the whole family.
- SALLYE ANDER PROMISE: When you buy Sallye Ander products, you can rest assured knowing you are supporting a company committed to quality and the environment. All products are 100% handmade in the USA from organic locally sourced ingredients, and we’re completely cruelty-free
Additional Info :
- ALL IN ONE INSECT REPELLENT AND ANTI-ITCH: “No-Bite-Me” DOES IT ALL! Forgot to apply “No-Bite-Me” and got some bug bites? No problem: it’s an anti-itch cream too! Other creams make you choose between repelling bugs and treating uncomfortable bug bites, but “No-Bite-Me” prevents and repairs bug-bombed skin. Effective on black flies, mosquitos, fleas, and ticks.
- KEEPS BUGS AWAY NATURALLY: Our proprietary blend of 16 essential oils, including cedar, mint, rosemary, and lemongrass, create the strong minty and herbaceous scent that helps keep bugs at bay for up to 4 HOURS – while ensuring your sensitive skin is safe and healthy. Absolutely no harsh chemicals: citronella and permethrin free!
- SAFE FOR CHILDREN: “No-Bite-Me” is a completely safe, natural bug repellent. It’s easy to apply – just dot on exposed skin and blend in. Cream absorbs easier than other sprays or lotions! No mess. No fuss. Deet free to protect even the smallest adventurers.
- TRAVEL SIZE JAR: Our 2oz tin of “No-Bite-Me” cream is perfect for on the go! Throw some in your bag for camping, hiking, or any outdoor activity! Great for day trips, and easy to dab on without worrying about mess or waste.
- SALLYE ANDER PROMISE: When you buy Sallye Ander products, you can rest assured knowing you are supporting a company committed to quality and the environment. All products are 100% handmade in the USA from organic locally sourced ingredients, and we’re completely cruelty-free.
Additional Info :
- Soft vanilla Vanilla Mint & Rose scent w/0% DEET repelling Black flies, deer flies, stable flies, no-see-ums, biting gnats including buffalo gnats!
- PLANT BASED ACTIVE INGREDIENTS and a proprietary blend of essential oils
- DEET FREE – Not sticky or greasy, ideal for use on the whole family
- COMFORTABLE – Buggins is not sticky or greasy. Does not need to be washed off.
- REPELS – Black flies, deer flies, stable flies, no-see-ums, biting gnats including buffalo gnats!
Additional Info :
- ADVENTURE READY. Follow the adventure wherever it leads in the slim-fit Men’s Paramount Trail Short. It features a water-repellent finish and an integrated belt for on-the-fly adjustments, so you can comfortably take on any obstacle in your path.
- PREMIUM FABRIC. These versatile shorts are built to take on water or land so the exploring never stops. FlashDry technology and a Durable Water-Repellent (DWR) Finish dry quickly for total comfort.
- RELAXED FIT. These pants are built with a relaxed fit for natural comfort. An integrated belt allows for an adjustable fit. Made with lightweight fabric that helps regulate your body temperature, these trail shorts are ready for anything. Inseam: R 10″.
- FUNCTIONAL VERSATILITY. Never Stop Exploring with functional features that help you go further — hand pockets and secure-zip side pockets offer secure storage for your phone, wallet, and keys while freeing up your hands for any challenge.
- TAKE ON THE DAY. An essential closet staple, this short is a go-to classic for hiking, training, or just kicking back. Pair it with your favorite shirt, sweatshirt or hoodie, and proudly wear the badge of exploration with The North Face.
Additional Info :
- EFFECTIVE & SAFE: This repelling oil-based formula is DEET-free and GMO-free; good for sensitive skin. Use Herbal Armor DEET-Free Natural Insect Repellent to keep bugs away & enjoy the outdoors, naturally.
- DON’T LET BUGS KEEP YOU INDOORS: From camping or hiking to relaxing in the backyard, Herbal Armor is an effective & safe bug spray for the whole family. Also, it won’t spoil clothes or camping gear.
- PROTECT YOUR FAMILY: Avoid bug bites with this effective DEET-free insect repellent formula. Herbal Armor is environmentally friendly & non-irritating to skin; perfect for active families & travelers.
- ACTIVE LIFESTYLE: Started by an outdoor enthusiast, All Terrain offers a broad line of safe & effective insect repellents, sunscreens, topical first aid & itch relief products using natural ingredients
- ALL TERRAIN: We are committed to providing safe & effective, environmentally-friendly, cruelty-free skin care protection products to help you & your family live active, healthy lives.
- Sport type: Cycling
Additional Info :