Mosquitoes are small blood-sucking, flying insects related to other bugs (such as cockroaches and fleas) that are familiar around the world. Many mosquitoes, like some other types of biting flies, have a piercing mouth part which they use to pierce the skin and suck blood. Only female mosquitoes bite, usually near dusk or at night. They need the protein from blood to develop their eggs. These bites may itch for several days after they occur. Are you concerned about mosquitoes biting you and leaving behind serious diseases like yellow fever, malaria, dengue, West Nile virus and more? If yes, then this is the right post for you. I will show you 5 natural mosquito repellent recipes that are cost effective to make and highly effective against mosquitoes.
Natural Skin Mosquito Repellent
Lavender oil is a natural anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and antiseptic. It has soothing properties and can be used to treat skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, acne and wrinkles. Lavender essential oil can also be used as an insect repellent against mosquitoes, flies and other bugs. It’s important to note that not all lavender essential oils are the same; some are less effective than others when it comes to repelling insects.
Alcohol-based products with high concentrations of essential oils work best for preventing mosquito bites because they evaporate quickly after application (thus releasing their full aroma). However, these products tend to dry out your skin more than lotions or creams containing lower concentrations of essential oils do — so if you’re plagued by extra dryness during summer months (or any time really), using them might not be worth it!
Lemon Eucalyptus Oil
You can apply lemon eucalyptus oil topically by mixing it with a base oil, like olive oil or coconut oil. This dilution is important because an undiluted application can cause skin irritation. A recommended ratio of one drop of lemon eucalyptus oil to three drops of carrier oils applies the right amount without causing irritation. It’s important to note that you should not use this product on children under the age of two because they are more susceptible to adverse reactions than adults are.
If you have sensitive skin and find that your skin reacts negatively when using lemon eucalyptus oil, try diluting it further or choosing a different natural repellent instead.
If you’re looking to avoid chemicals or are just a fan of catnip, this is the repellent for you. Catnip oil has been scientifically proven to repel mosquitos and other insects.
Catnip oil must be applied to clothing and not directly onto skin in order to work effectively as a repellent. It can also be used as a natural pesticide for plants, but should never be applied directly to skin in any way (including washing your hands after touching it).
Clove oil is a natural mosquito repellent that can be applied topically to the skin. It is used in aromatherapy and has been used in dental practices as an antiseptic and analgesic. However, it should not be applied directly to the eye or consumed internally because clove oil can cause irritation of the eyes, skin and respiratory tract. Clove oil contains eugenol, which is a strong irritant even at low concentrations and may cause allergic reactions in some people.
Peppermint oil is a natural mosquito repellent that can be used to control mosquitoes and other insects. It is extracted from the peppermint plant and has been shown to repel ants, beetles and flies as well as mosquitoes. Peppermint oil is also said to help with headaches by releasing endorphins in the brain when inhaled. The use of this product will depend on where you live as not all countries allow its use in personal care products, so check your local regulations before using it on yourself or your family members if you are concerned about allergies or sensitivities.
If you want to try something natural, basil oil is a good option. Basil is oil that comes from the leaves of the Ocimum basilicum plant. It has a lot of anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, and it’s also an analgesic—meaning it can help soothe pain. When applied directly to skin, the essential oils in basil can repel mosquitoes by creating a barrier that keeps them from biting you.
Thyme is a natural insect repellent that has been shown to be effective against mosquitos. Though thyme oil is an ingredient in many commercial insect repellents, it’s also easy to add to lotions or sprays at home.
If you don’t already have access to thyme, consider growing some—it’s an excellent herb for your garden!
Cinnamon Leaf Oil
Cinnamon leaf oil is a natural insect repellent that has been used for thousands of years. You can use it to protect you and your family from mosquitoes, ticks, and other biting insects. Cinnamon leaf oil is easy to make at home or purchase online.
Cinnamon leaf oil works by masking the carbon dioxide we exhale with an overpowering scent that will keep mosquitoes away from you on their next landing attempt. It also contains properties that irritate the mosquito’s eyes when they land on you so they don’t like coming back for seconds! To get rid of these pests once and for all:
- Rub cinnamon leaf oil into exposed skin (avoid getting into eyes) before going outdoors during peak mosquito season every day or two until mid-September when temperatures are cooler.
- Add 5 drops of cinnamon leaf essential oil per cup olive oil (or other carrier oils such as coconut) in a spray bottle and shake well before each application to apply liberally when outdoors after dusk until mid-September when temperatures are cooler (do not apply directly under clothing).
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a natural essential oil extracted from the leaves of the tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia), an evergreen shrub native to Australia. It has been widely used as a medicinal herb for centuries, and its healing properties continue to be studied by modern science.
The health benefits of tea tree oil are numerous and include being a natural anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral agent. You can use this essential oil in many ways; it’s even great for acne!
These natural oils can help control mosquitos
You can find these oils in most health food stores and many big box retailers. You can also purchase them online. The recommended dosage for each oil is about 15 to 20 drops (depending on the brand). Mix your chosen oil or oils into a carrier oil, like coconut or olive oil, to dilute them further before applying to skin. The best part about using natural mosquito repellents is that you don’t need to reapply them as frequently as chemical-based repellents do—just once or twice a day should be enough!
Use caution when using essential oils around children because they are highly concentrated and may cause adverse reactions if ingested orally by mouth; always consult with your pediatrician before giving any essential oil to small children under 5 years old.
- EFFECTIVE & SAFE: This repelling oil-based formula is DEET-free and GMO-free; good for sensitive skin. Use Herbal Armor DEET-Free Natural Insect Repellent to keep bugs away & enjoy the outdoors, naturally.
- DON’T LET BUGS KEEP YOU INDOORS: From camping or hiking to relaxing in the backyard, Herbal Armor is an effective & safe bug spray for the whole family. Also, it won’t spoil clothes or camping gear.
- PROTECT YOUR FAMILY: Avoid bug bites with this effective DEET-free insect repellent formula. Herbal Armor is environmentally friendly & non-irritating to skin; perfect for active families & travelers.
- ACTIVE LIFESTYLE: Started by an outdoor enthusiast, All Terrain offers a broad line of safe & effective insect repellents, sunscreens, topical first aid & itch relief products using natural ingredients
- ALL TERRAIN: We are committed to providing safe & effective, environmentally-friendly, cruelty-free skin care protection products to help you & your family live active, healthy lives.
- Sport type: Cycling
Additional Info :
- ALL IN ONE REPELLENT AND ANTI-ITCH: “No-Bite-Me” DOES IT ALL! Forgot to apply “No-Bite-Me” and got some bug bites? No problem: it’s an anti-itch cream too! Other creams make you choose between repelling bugs and treating uncomfortable bug bites, but “No-Bite-Me” prevents and repairs bug-bombed skin. Effective on black flies, mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks.
- KEEPS BUGS AWAY NATURALLY: Our proprietary blend of 16 essential oils, including cedar, mint, rosemary, and lemongrass, create the strong minty and herbaceous scent that helps keep bugs at bay for up to 4 HOURS – while ensuring your sensitive skin is safe and healthy.
- SAFE FOR CHILDREN: “No-Bite-Me” is a completely safe, natural bug repellent. It’s easy to apply – just dot on exposed skin and blend in. No mess. No fuss. Deet free to protect even the smallest adventurers.
- FULL SIZE FOR BEST VALUE: Our 8oz tin of “No-Bite-Me” cream is amazing for the seasoned traveler! Throw a tin in your backpack, or keep it handy when camping. One tin provides plenty of relief for you and the whole family.
- SALLYE ANDER PROMISE: When you buy Sallye Ander products, you can rest assured knowing you are supporting a company committed to quality and the environment. All products are 100% handmade in the USA from organic locally sourced ingredients, and we’re completely cruelty-free
Additional Info :
- Premium Baby Insect Repellent. More than a mosquito repellent for kids, this fast absorbing spray can also repel biting flies, ticks, and fleas.
- Full Body Protection. This plant based bug spray can be sprayed over arms, legs, and exposed skin, as well as external clothing and layers.
- No harsh Chemicals. Protecting your baby is as important to you as it is to us, which is why our bug repellent contains no DEET or other harsh chemicals.
- Pure, plant based Ingredients. We only use pure essential oils in our formula, including lemongrass, cedar, and citronella, for true cruelty free protection.
- Unbeatable Quality Assurance. As a brand trusted by parents all over, we aim to provide you with the fastest, most reliable product and customer support possible.
Additional Info :
- SUPER EFFECTIVE: Natural Bug Soother repels gnats, no-see-ums, sand fleas, black flies, and some mosquitoes. May require more frequent application and may need to be rubbed in. There are over 175 varieties of mosquitoes in the US (over 3,000 worldwide). Bug Soother is effective for some types of mosquitoes. Our customers have reported that Bug Soother can defend against fruit flies, fleas, and more. We’ve even heard of Bug Soother shielding roses from Japanese beetles.
- PREMIUM INGREDIENTS: Bug Soother is a natural insect repellent made with simple, skin loving ingredients: Purified Water, Glycerin, Castor Oil, and Vitamin E blended using Soy Lecithin, a natural emulsifier used in foods.. Lemongrass 100% Pure Essential Oil, blended with vanilla for an amazing scent that people love, but bugs hate.
- FAVORITE USES: Bug Soother is commonly used when fishing, hiking, biking, golfing, farming, or when you’re simply enjoying some sunshine in your back yard. Bug Soother works in your defense by repelling the irritating insects that can cut your outdoors time short.
- VERSATILITY: Bug Soother is used the most often by outdoor enthusiasts, kids and pets. Some customers use Bug Soother on their farm animals such as horses and chickens. One even uses it for his tiger to ensure his pal is bug-free.
- BUG SOOTHER FAMILY GUARANTEE: Bug Soother is proudly made in America by Simply Soothing, a woman owned family business in rural Iowa. We have been creating unique, handmade products for over 15 years, with an emphasis on high quality for a reasonable price. If for any reason you are unsatisfied with your Bug Soother, please contact us and we will be sure to make it right.
Additional Info :
- HIGH-QUALITY BUG REPELLANT: Nantucket Spider’s DEET-free insect repellent spray is formulated with a range of organic, high-quality ingredients to provide protection against all types of biting insects. Unlike most other repellents, our long-lasting formula is water-based, which will not damage your clothing or leave your skin feeling sticky or greasy.
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Our natural mosquito repellent spray is made with a carefully selected blend of organic essential oils, including rosemary, geranium, cedarwood, peppermint, spearmint, lemongrass, clove and citronella. The perfect bug repellent for camping, beach outings, Little League games, or any other outdoor excursion!
- EASY APPLICATION: Nantucket Spider’s signature lockable fine-mist trigger sprayer is specially designed to prevent leaks and to maximize insect repellent spray coverage. Shake well before using and press the unlock button on the nozzle to apply.
- PLEASANT SCENT: Repel bugs not people! Independently Lab-tested for 98-100% effectiveness against mosquitos, Nantucket Spider’s essential oil mosquito spray proves that a repellent doesn’t need to smell like chemicals to work. Our customers love the light, natural scent of our repel bug spray.
- EFFECTIVE PROTECTION: We use organic essential oils for bugs that are proven to work against mosquitos, and that also repel ticks and a variety of biting insects like black flies, horse flies, deer flies, and greenhead flies. Independent lab tests demonstrate 98-100% repellent effectiveness against mosquitos. Protect your skin with DEET-free essential bug repellent during all your outdoor activities!
Additional Info :