Bed bug bites are annoying and painful, but they don’t have to be a huge hassle. If you’ve got the right tools, you can treat them the same way your doctor would—with over-the-counter products.
The first thing you need to know is that bed bugs are called so because they love to make their homes in beds. They’ll hide behind headboards, mattress seams, and box springs—anywhere they can get comfortable and away from light. They’re also nocturnal, meaning they’ll bite you while you’re sleeping.
If you wake up with red welts on your skin that look like mosquito bites, chances are good it’s from a bed bug bite. If those bites are itching or burning, it means there’s an infection brewing—and it needs to be treated ASAP.
The good news is that there are several over-the-counter products that help treat bed bug bites quickly and effectively. Some of these products contain ingredients like hydrocortisone (a steroid medication) or menthol (an analgesic). Others contain natural ingredients like aloe vera gel or witch hazel extract (both of which have been used for centuries as home remedies). These treatments work by reducing swelling and itching within minutes
Where do bed bugs hide on your body?
Bed bugs can hide in the soles of your shoes, but they can also be found in the seams and folds of your clothes.
They are most likely to be found in places where you can’t see them or where they have easy access to food and blood. This means that they like to hide in your mattress, box springs, headboard, nightstands, dressers, chests, closets and other dark spaces within your home. They will also hide in the seams of your towels, sheets and clothing. The best way to prevent bed bugs from hiding in these places is by cleaning them regularly with hot water and soap.
If you have a bed bug infestation at home and want to protect yourself from them while sleeping or traveling, it’s important that you keep everything clean so that there aren’t any crumbs or other food sources left around for them to feed on at night when we are sleeping.
What helps bed bug bites go away faster?
If you’ve been bitten by bed bugs, you know how itchy the bites can be. The good news is that there are things you can do to make them stop itching and go away faster.
First of all, wash the bites with soap and water. This will help prevent a skin infection and also help reduce itchiness.
If the bites are still bothering you after that, apply a corticosteroid cream to the area around each bite. You can get a weak form of this medicine without a prescription at your local drugstore; stronger corticosteroids require a prescription from your doctor or nurse practitioner.
Is there a prescription for bed bug bites?
No, there is no prescription for bed bug bites.
The most effective treatment for bed bug bites is to avoid scratching the affected area, which can lead to infection and scarring. If you have a prescription, you should not use it on your bed bug bites because it may cause additional irritation.
Does toothpaste help bed bug bites?
Toothpaste is something we use every day to clean our teeth, but did you know that it can also help with bed bug bites?
The menthol present in toothpaste acts as a cooling agent, which helps reduce the itching and irritation caused due to the bites.
It’s important to note that this remedy should be used for only a short period of time—it’s not intended as a long-term solution.
Toothpaste also contains fluoride, which can help prevent tooth decay and keep your teeth healthy.
How long does it take for bed bug bites to heal?
Bed bug bites can take a while to heal. Depending on the number of bites and how severe they are, bed bug bites can take 1 to 2 weeks to heal.
Bed bugs are small insects that feed on humans by injecting their saliva into the skin. Bites are usually painless, though they can itch and become red. The most common places for bed bugs to bite are the ankles, lower legs, arms, and waistline.
The first sign of a bed bug infestation is usually an itchy bite mark. The bites may appear in lines or clusters and can be red or scaly. Bites typically take about 2 weeks to heal completely but may be itchy for up to 6 weeks after the initial infestation.
List of Over The Counter Treatment For Bed Bug Bites
Here is a list of over the counter treatments for bed bug bites:
Benadryl Extra Strength Anti-Itch Gel, 2 Percentage Diphenhydramine HCI Topical Analgesic & Histamine Blocker for Relief of Outdoor Itches Associated with Poison Ivy, Insect Bites & More, 3.5 fl. oz
Price : $4.89 ($1.40 / Fl Oz)
- 3.5-ounce tube of Benadryl Extra-Strength Cooling Itch Stopping Anti-Itch Gel for fast cooling relief from skin pain and itching from most outdoor itches
- Provides relief from most outdoor itches associated with insect bites, sunburn, scrapes, minor skin irritations, burns, and minor cuts
- Soothing anti-itch gel also provides relief from itching associated with rashes caused by poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac
- Cooling gel formula contains 2% of the topical analgesic pain reliever diphenhydramine hydrochloride that works by blocking histamines to relieve itches associated with several ailments
- Intended for use by those ages 2 and up, soothing gel offers itch relief for kids and adults alike and is great to keep on hand during outdoor activities such as camping, hiking or taking a walk with the family
Additional Info :
Boiron Arnicare Gel for Soothing Relief of Joint Pain, Muscle Pain, Muscle Soreness, and Swelling from Bruises or Injury – Non-greasy and Fragrance-Free – 2.6 oz
Price : $7.92 ($3.05 / Ounce)
- ARNICA FOR PAIN: This homeopathic medicine helps temporarily relieve muscle pain & stiffness due to minor injuries, overexertion & falls. Also great for pain, swelling, & discoloration from bruises.
- TOPICAL PAIN RELIEF: Our non-greasy, water-based formula absorbs quickly & is unscented & paraben-free. This cooling gel is great for relief following an injury, intense workout, or general overexertion.
- PLANT-BASED ACTIVE INGREDIENT: The Arnica montana plant is a natural pain reliever. This popular homeopathic medicine temporarily relieves muscle pain & stiffness without unwanted drowsiness.Fluoride-Free
- HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINE uses highly diluted biological, botanical, or mineral substances to relieve symptoms. Our tablets, pellets, & topical treatments work with your body without the risk of contraindications, or known drug interactions.
- THE BOIRON PROMISE: We believe there’s more than one way to feel better. Since 1932, we have been committed to providing quality medicines. As a world leader in homeopathy, our passion is your health. Our promise is your satisfaction.
Additional Info :
Bug Bite Thing Suction Tool, Poison Remover – Bug Bites and Bee/Wasp Stings, Natural Insect Bite Relief, Chemical Free – White/Single
Price : $9.95
- Removes insect venom, saliva, and other irritants left under the skin using suction
- By removing the irritant, the body stops producing the reaction that is causing you to itch & swell
- Works on: mosquitoes, bees, wasps, biting flies, no-see-ums, chiggers, sea lice & more
- Compact, lightweight, reusable and easy to carry
- Clinically Proven, kid friendly, 100% guarantee
Additional Info :
Mite-B-Gone 10% Sulfur Cream Itch Relief from Mites, Insect Bites, Acne, and Fungus (2oz) Fast and Effective Relief for All Mites with an All-Natural Blend of Anti-Inflammatory Ingredients
Price : $20.87 ($10.44 / Fl Oz)
- Mite-B-Gone Sulfur Mite Cream is a natural blend of nourishing essential oils and homeopathic botanicals that bring quick itch relief of mites, acne, seborrheic dermatitis, eczema, and tinea nail fungus, and other fungal infections.
- Mite-B-Gone’s 100% Natural Formula includes Sunflower Seed Oil and Tea Tree Oil, a known soothing and anti-inflammatory blend, which works quickly to counteract itching and clear up any outbreak.
- You may notice a slightly gritty texture as sulfur is a keratolytic. Keratolytics cause the outer layer of the skin to loosen and shed which results in deeper penetration and faster absorption of our 10% sulfur cream into your skin.
- Mite-B-Gone gives you lasting relief WITHOUT any harsh chemicals or irritation.
- Proudly small-batched by our skilled production technicians in our FDA Facility right outside of Atlanta, Georgia here in the USA.
- 3 Year Shelf Life & Proudly Made in the USA
- Always consult a doctor before starting any at-home treatments to ensure that you are treating for the right condition.
- Please always remember to do a small skin tolerability test before using this product over your entire skin. Anyone with a Sulfur or Sulfa allergy should not use this product.
Additional Info :
Sawyer Products SP657 Premium Permethrin Insect Repellent for Clothing, Gear & Tents, Trigger Spray, 24-Ounce
Price : $16.95
- Add a layer of protection to your clothing and gear with Permethrin insect and tick repellent spray — perfect for use on shirts, jackets, pants, socks, shoes, boots, sleeping bags, tents, netting, when outdoors, camping, hunting, or on travel
- Ideal for backpacking, backyard BBQs, and other outdoor activities, it’s effective against more than 55 kinds of insects — from disease-spreading ticks (Lyme disease) and mosquitoes (West Nile and Zika viruses) to chiggers, spiders, mites, and more
- Permethrin spray bonds to fabric fibers for up to 6 weeks or through 6 washings (whichever comes first) and won’t stain or damage clothing, fabrics, plastics, finished surfaces, or outdoor gear; odorless after drying
- Reduce likelihood of a tick bite by 73.6 times by treating shoes and socks with Permethrin (University of Rhode Island study – 2017)
- 24-ounce trigger spray bottle treats five complete outfits (updated EPA dosage is 4.5 ounces per outfit consisting of shirt, pants, and socks); maximize protection by pairing with Sawyer Picaridin topical repellent for the skin
Additional Info :
- A cold compress will help reduce the itching and swelling of bed bug bites. It also helps to relieve pain. This treatment can be used for all types of bites, including from fleas and ticks.
- Calamine lotion is an over-the-counter medication that soothes skin irritation caused by insect bites or stings. It reduces itching and redness, while also providing relief from pain.
- Cortisone creams are effective in reducing inflammation and swelling caused by bed bug bites. However, they should not be used for more than two weeks at a time due to possible side effects such as thinning of the skin and stretch marks.
- Antihistamines are effective in reducing itchiness caused by bed bug bites. This type of medication works by blocking histamine production in your body, which is what causes the itchy sensation when you’re bitten by an insect or spider.